Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2008   #61
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Zach Thomas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Texans | Z. Thomas to visit team
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:15:36 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports free agent LB Zach Thomas (Dolphins) is expected to visit the Houston Texans next week.
TRANSLATION:

Zach leaves the Pats offer on the table, travels to Houston and uses us to drive up his offer from the Pats or other teams (Cowboys, for example).

Hey, it worked for Orlando Pace. I don't even think the guy had to get on the plane to come here, correct? I am just p-r-a-y-i-n-g that he's using us to drive up the other offers.

I'll be verrrrrry upset if we sign this guy. He said he would only entertain offers from playoff teams or those who could seriously challenge for a title. He hit his head pretty hard to throw us into his group of teams to look at.

(Sigh) I hate this team so badly some times...what are we even doing looking at another free agent has-been? Ahman Green wasn't enough of a failure, so we gotta' go and potentially compound the same problem? Pass me the tums.

Last edited by GP; 02-20-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2008   #62
dtran04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2409 dtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respecteddtran04 is a quality contributor and well respected

So essentially, some people think the Texans are too good for Zach Thomas while the Patriots aren't.
Old 02-20-2008   #63
Lucky

Rep Power: 145631 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
So essentially, some people think the Texans are too good for Zach Thomas while the Patriots aren't.
Some people thought the Dolphins were too good for Zach Thomas.
Old 02-20-2008   #64
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget contracts, playing time, injuries, etc., as it stands on its own, Zach Thomas visiting us has some extrinsic value to our franchise.
Old 02-20-2008   #65
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
DeMeco just played a game in Honolulu as the starter at MLB for the AFC. Do
you really want to experiment/tamper with that, i.e. don't fix it if it ain't broke ? And since ZT probably can't play on the outside and don't think he's ready to be a reserve either, it's looking like he's just not much of a fit here.
No experiment needed. DeMeco was drafted as an OLB.

And I'm pretty sure our LB corp is broke. We just waived one of our OLB and I'd say it's a Top-4 need.
Old 02-20-2008   #66
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
No experiment needed. DeMeco was drafted as an OLB.

And I'm pretty sure our LB corp is broke. We just waived one of our OLB and I'd say it's a Top-4 need.
Looks to me like DeMeco was drafted to play MLB.

Just cuz he played outside in college doesn't mean that is what he is destined for in the NFL.

Just ask the hundreds of players that have changed positions going from college to the pros.

Why move a Pro Bowler to another spot?

I, for one, want our best tackler in the middle of the defense. And that would be Ryans.
Old 02-20-2008   #67
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember correctly, I thought Demeco wasn't deemed a starting spot at first but tried out at all 3 LB spots during camp. I always felt he wasn't going to be on the outside but that he really did great at MLB and kind of surprised some people.

I could easily be wrong but that's the way I remember it. On top of that, I think the coaches wanted to have their 3 best Linebackers out there and there really wasn't a better option in the middle.

I think the original experiment turned out exceptional.
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2008   #68
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
If I remember correctly, I thought Demeco wasn't deemed a starting spot at first but tried out at all 3 LB spots during camp. I always felt he wasn't going to be on the outside but that he really did great at MLB and kind of surprised some people.

I could easily be wrong but that's the way I remember it. On top of that, I think the coaches wanted to have their 3 best Linebackers out there and there really wasn't a better option in the middle.

I think the original experiment turned out exceptional.
Basically the way I remember it except I don't think he was tried at SLB. He came into OTA's and immediately was backing up WLB and MLB. Kubiak almost immediately started talking about getting the best three LB's on the field and then Cowart went down and Ryans took over with everyone noting how good he was not only at his play responsibilities but as a leader and calling plays for the LB corp.

The leadership/playcalling part is something I think people are underrating. Ryans is the guy on D who would get the green dot helmet and I think the team expects to see him in that position.
Old 02-20-2008   #69
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198610 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtran04 View Post
Interesting thought.
If Belicheat thinks Zack has something left maybe he does...
I doubt he comes here though because I can't see us paying him 5-6 mil/yr for a couple of years
and the concussion thing bugs me too. Like one of the guest hosts on NFLN said, "LB + concussions" is not a good combination."
Old 02-21-2008   #70
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Junior Seau was supposed to be washed up, too, IIRC. That was years ago, and he's still starting for NE. I think Zach is the type of guy who could bring a lot to the team, and it's just the type of player/signing the Texans need to get to the next level of play.

Realistically, I don't know that the Texans could afford him, but that's a different discussion altogether.

As to the question of why Zach would lump the Texans in with the other teams - hey, people are standing up and taking notice of what's going on in Houston. The times are changing.
Old 02-21-2008   #71
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Looks to me like DeMeco was drafted to play MLB.

Just cuz he played outside in college doesn't mean that is what he is destined for in the NFL.

Just ask the hundreds of players that have changed positions going from college to the pros.

Why move a Pro Bowler to another spot?

I, for one, want our best tackler in the middle of the defense. And that would be Ryans.
He wasn't drafted to play MLB. The coaches didn't know where he was going to play yet.

He was, however, drafted AS a OLB. He didn't play MLB in college, so there was no reason to say he was drafted as an MLB.

And the best tackler thing? Zach Thomas has been in the top 5 in tackles for 6 of the last 7 seasons.
Old 02-21-2008   #72
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
Junior Seau was supposed to be washed up, too, IIRC. That was years ago, and he's still starting for NE. I think Zach is the type of guy who could bring a lot to the team, and it's just the type of player/signing the Texans need to get to the next level of play.

Realistically, I don't know that the Texans could afford him, but that's a different discussion altogether.

As to the question of why Zach would lump the Texans in with the other teams - hey, people are standing up and taking notice of what's going on in Houston. The times are changing.
Not sure if an aged player or even an average player like WR Gafney going to a top level team means that player would benefit the Texans. NE might be able to cover for Thomas in ways that Houston could not.
Old 02-21-2008   #73
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He wasn't drafted to play MLB. The coaches didn't know where he was going to play yet.

He was, however, drafted AS a OLB. He didn't play MLB in college, so there was no reason to say he was drafted as an MLB.

And the best tackler thing? Zach Thomas has been in the top 5 in tackles for 6 of the last 7 seasons.
And Ryans is just terrible isnt he?

He was #2 in the league as a rookie, & #6 last year.

I'll pose my question again.

Why would you make a Pro Bowler change positions? The kid is a top 5 MLB in the NFL RIGHT NOW.

Last edited by bah007; 02-21-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-21-2008   #74
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
And Ryans is just terrible isnt he?

He was #2 in the league as a rookie, & #6 last year.

I'll pose my question again.

Why would you make a Pro Bowler change positions? The kid is a top 5 MLB in the NFL RIGHT NOW.
There are situation guys in the NFL and there are Position players, and then there are Football Players. Ryans is a Football player. He has good instinct, good quickness, great wrap up skills and at least decent coverage ability for a LB. He could easily play any of the LB spots. Greenwood is purely a weak side LB. We have Diles who is a promissing SSLB but if Thomas can plug up the middle enough to allow Ryans chase the RB around the edge we just increased our run stopping ability by 50 percent, not to mention having 2 guys with pass rushing ability comming from the LB position. That's WHY
Old 02-21-2008   #75
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 306626 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Greenwood is purely a weak side LB.
Well yeah, except for the four years he spent at SLB in Miami
Old 02-21-2008   #76
bah007
Hall of Fame

It's just like every month we have to deal with a new thread about moving Ryans to the outside or moving Robinson to safety. Every single month.
Old 02-21-2008   #77
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Well yeah, except for the four years he spent at SLB in Miami
well technically, but IMHO Greenwood is not quick enough to the ball to play SLB, but he does get guys off their routes decently and gets alot of finish up tackles. If the other team payed attention they would notice draw plays and pitches to Greenwood's side usually turn out to be 6 yards guaranteed. But Ryans is great off the snap and gets in the backfield alot, I'm not sure how easy he bites on the fake, wich would hurt us for the sam position, but he is way more consistent than Greenwood.
Old 02-21-2008   #78
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's just like every month we have to deal with a new thread about moving Ryans to the outside or moving Robinson to safety. Every single month.
Because not everyone agrees with you that it can not be or should not be done.
Old 02-21-2008   #79
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Great thing about Demeco is if he was smart enough and athletic enough to not only make the transition to MLB in the NFL from college, you know he will only be better as an OLB and make an impact there too.

Remember the starting MLB was an old dude from Buffalo (forget his name) until he broke an ankle or something. Demeco was put at MLB more out of necessity and Demeco just ran with it.
Old 02-21-2008   #80
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Great thing about Demeco is if he was smart enough and athletic enough to not only make the transition to MLB in the NFL from college, you know he will only be better as an OLB and make an impact there too.

Remember the starting MLB was an old dude from Buffalo (forget his name) until he broke an ankle or something. Demeco was put at MLB more out of necessity and Demeco just ran with it.
With all due respect... for a team plagued with bad fate and injuries, that one sure turned out to be a blessing in disguise!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read