Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2008   #1
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans interested in Zach Thomas?

Per profootballtalk.com (please don't make this about the site, it is a rumor)

Quote:
PATS OFFER DEAL TO THOMAS

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Patriots have offered a contract to free-agent linebacker Zach Thomas, who was cut by the Dolphins last week.

Thomas and agent Drew Rosenhaus visited with the Patriots on Monday.

Next up? A visit to New Orleans. The Cowboys, Texans, Bills, and Jets also are interested in acquiring Thomas.
Old 02-18-2008   #2
swisher
Old School

Rep Power: 669 swisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respectedswisher is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans interested in Zach Thomas?

I don't know what kind of role he would play other than maybe a mentor to Demeco.

I went to Tech while Thomas played there so it would be great to see the guy in our uniform, and I bet he ends up being a great coach.

I just don't see him wanting to come here if he can start in the middle somewhere else, or if he just signs with the Cowboys or Patriots to get a ring.
Old 02-18-2008   #3
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting find.

Lets start another round of the should we move Ryans outside debate.

Cracks me up that the Patriots approach to solving their aging LB issues is to pursue an aging LB.
Old 02-18-2008   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Probably more than rumor. It's also on nfl.com.
Old 02-18-2008   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Do we need him? Isn't he like 31 years old?
Old 02-18-2008   #6
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

DeMeco would be great anywhere in our LB core. I support getting Thomas, it never hurts when you can get one of the best players at his position on your team.
Old 02-18-2008   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm guessing he is talking to us and the Cowboys because of the Texas connection.

Also, nice to retire to Texas because of the no state income tax thingy.
Old 02-18-2008   #8
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90711 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
DeMeco would be great anywhere in our LB core. I support getting Thomas, it never hurts when you can get one of the best players at his position on your team.
How much does he left?? When your the worst team in football I don't think you would be releasing one of the best players in his position.

Where is Katsofna for his definitive opinion on a Dolphins player??
Old 02-18-2008   #9
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

BOOOOO Drew Rosenhaus!!!....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
Old 02-18-2008   #10
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Zach Thomas being cut was probably a cap move as well as giving some younger players a chance to play. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the Tuna was just cleaning house and wanted to start new.
Old 02-18-2008   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Zach Thomas being cut was probably a cap move as well as giving some younger players a chance to play. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the Tuna was just cleaning house and wanted to start new.
Thomas has renegotiated his salary at least 3 times in the past to meet the Fins' needs. The Fins will be clearing approximately 6 million with this move. I don't remember where, but I remember reading on a Fins' board that the Pats have already interviewed him and made him an offer which he left on the table.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 02-18-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2008   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
Interesting find.

Lets start another round of the should we move Ryans outside debate.

Cracks me up that the Patriots approach to solving their aging LB issues is to pursue an aging LB.
Don't think about it as a debate, think about it as an opportunity to improve our football team.

Zach is not an upgrade at MLB, but Ryans is an upgrade at OLB. Zach, before going on IR last year was averaging more than 10 tackles a game.(Which is what he has done his entire career.)

I am all for Picking up Zach, sliding Ryans over to WLB and seeing what Diles has got to offer at SLB.

It could not hurt to have two tackling machines when you playing MJD, VY, and Addia twice a year.

Old 02-18-2008   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 201352 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the link.
Old 02-18-2008   #14
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

He is 34 years old. Maybe he can pull a Junior Seau.

Last edited by GuerillaBlack; 02-23-2008 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Old 02-18-2008   #15
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I say PLAY ZACH DILES!!!!

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
Old 02-18-2008   #16
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Don't think about it as a debate, think about it as an opportunity to improve our football team.

Zach is not an upgrade at MLB, but Ryans is an upgrade at OLB. Zach, before going on IR last year was averaging more than 10 tackles a game.(Which is what he has done his entire career.)

I am all for Picking up Zach, sliding Ryans over to WLB and seeing what Diles has got to offer at SLB.

It could not hurt to have two tackling machines when you playing MJD, VY, and Addia twice a year.
I agree with you, but we're probably in the minority on this.

It's not like Ryans' productivity would deminish or something. He's originally a OLB anyway. Zach is still a tackling machine like DeMeco, and I think having both would be dynomite.
Old 02-18-2008   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
I agree with you, but we're probably in the minority on this.

It's not like Ryans' productivity would deminish or something. He's originally a OLB anyway. Zach is still a tackling machine like DeMeco, and I think having both would be dynomite.
I would have no problem moving Ryans around as long as he didn't have a problem with it. I think he would relish it and then Thomas could handle the signals/playcalls role. Could free up Ryans imho. If it doesn't work, what did we really lose? It's not like we are going to ruin Ryans because we try to use him in a different role. It's still football and Thomas could be invigorated by a move. The Pats dont make a habit of going after bad players so that should tell you all you need to know that they are interested.
Old 02-18-2008   #18
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't want to see the Texans spend big money on Zach Thomas. No matter how you spin it 34 is old for a LB. If he came cheap then I would be for it but I don't think that will be the case.
Old 02-18-2008   #19
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
I don't want to see the Texans spend big money on Zach Thomas. No matter how you spin it 34 is old for a LB. If he came cheap then I would be for it but I don't think that will be the case.
it will be on the cheap if he comes. no doubt.
Old 02-19-2008   #20
JayCee
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 JayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden coverJayCee could be on the next Madden cover

Would love Zach Thomas to come here

Yeah he's old but who cares - it's obviously going to be a stop gap signing.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read