Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-18-2008   #1
Ali4Real

Question Three Guys I Want

According to Rivals.com, the Houston Texans three primary needs are at running back, cornerback, and defensive end. I may disagree with the latter, but I might be interested if Calais Campbell is available later on in the draft (Highly Unlikely IMO).

So, I decided to look at the top prospects that the Texans can get for each of the three positions:

Running Back:

Chris Johnson (East Carolina)

5’11”

195-Lbs.

Lacks the bulk and only rushed for 1,000+ yards during his senior year but had tremendous speed and ran a 4.30 40-yrad dash. (Also we might want to look at Mike Hart from Michigan, lacks bulk but is a proven back who carried his team on his back, only had 3 fumbles in his entire career.)

Cornerback:

Mike Jenkins (South Florida)

6’0”

200-Lbs.

Character issues and is not a great run support but has good size and has experience at safety and corner.

Like I said above, I don’t agree with the DE. I think we need an offensive tackle and here is the guy I want.

Offensive Tackle:

Gosder Cherilus (Boston College)

6’7”

320-Lbs.

Hails from a program known for producing good NFL linemen. Might not be able to play left tackle but that’s for Alex Gibbs to decide. A smart linemen with great balance and huge frame and size.

Old 02-18-2008   #2
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Three Guys I Want

Not a bad list at all and any one of those guys would be a tremendous help. Gosdner Cherilus has all the measurments you look for in a LT, but he struggled at times last season. But it wouldn't hurt to get a guy with his experience and ability. Great wish list!
Old 02-18-2008   #3
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have a Mike Hart(Darius Walker)....

He'll fall

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 123107 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I think we have a Mike Hart(Darius Walker)....

He'll fall
Darius Walker & Mike Hart are not the same player.

Hart has intangibles that no other player in this draft has, except MAYBE Matt Ryan.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 189741 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali4Real View Post
According to Rivals.com, the Houston Texans three primary needs are at running back, cornerback, and defensive end. I may disagree with the latter, but I might be interested if Calais Campbell is available later on in the draft (Highly Unlikely IMO).

So, I decided to look at the top prospects that the Texans can get for each of the three positions:

Running Back:

Chris Johnson (East Carolina)

5’11”

195-Lbs.

Lacks the bulk and only rushed for 1,000+ yards during his senior year but had tremendous speed and ran a 4.30 40-yrad dash. (Also we might want to look at Mike Hart from Michigan, lacks bulk but is a proven back who carried his team on his back, only had 3 fumbles in his entire career.)

Cornerback:

Mike Jenkins (South Florida)

6’0”

200-Lbs.

Character issues and is not a great run support but has good size and has experience at safety and corner.

Like I said above, I don’t agree with the DE. I think we need an offensive tackle and here is the guy I want.

Offensive Tackle:

Gosder Cherilus (Boston College)

6’7”

320-Lbs.

Hails from a program known for producing good NFL linemen. Might not be able to play left tackle but that’s for Alex Gibbs to decide. A smart linemen with great balance and huge frame and size.

Mike Jenkins is evaluated by many as best CB & should be gone way before #18 even with issues. Chris Johnson whom I like is behind both Stewart and Charles with both a good chance at being there @ 18. Gosder Cherilus is pretty heavy for LT in Zone Blocking Scheme. He allowed 5 QB sacks and four pressures. Penalized seven times.Does have a good time of 5.14.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings....php?pyid=9100If you are talking about him for #18 in first, I think several LT that are better suited could be had in lower rounds. My 2 cents
Old 02-19-2008   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I like your 3 guys.

My top 3 would be:

Mike Jenkins,

Ray Rice,

and Xavier Adibi.

TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #7
CoastalTexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 30 CoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedCoastalTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to CoastalTexan

I spoke to a former college coach of Ray Rice and he had nothing but good things to say about him. Said he was durable and a stand up guy. Keep in mind Rutgers runs a zone blocking scheme so we could be looking at their linemen as well.
CoastalTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read