Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 12-03-2004   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Heisman Award Winner

Who will win the Heisman?
&
Who should win the Heisman?

Matt Leinart QB Southern Cal will win the Heisman, thanks to being on the #1 team with Reggie Bush as a weapon. Very similar to Carson Palmer & I guess thats what attracts young recruits to these big high profile programs.

Alex Smith should win the Heisman, he's managed to get his boss promoted (Urban Meyer) finished his bachelors degree as a 20-year-old sophomore, now working on completing his Masters Alex has led his team to a perfect season plus a probable BCS bowl bid. Not bad, but will it be enough to sway voters over made for the NFL Leinart?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...ll/heisman.htm
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #2
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Who will? Leinart

Who should? Cedric Benson or Alex Smith
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004   #3
MarleyFan
Veteran

I thought Adrian Peterson was an easy pick, but all I hear is Leinart.
MarleyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 58125 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyFan
that would be a should in your case

Adrian Peterson is an awesome prospect but his disadvantage of being a true freshman, on the same team with last years Heisman Trophy winner Jason White along with the fact Oklahoma is not the clear cut #1 team in the country (USC) conspires against him.
Old 12-04-2004   #5
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarleyFan
YPG is still below Cedric Benson and OU without Peterson would still be undefeated. Can you imagine UT without Benson???
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004   #6
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Lienart will win it.

Benson should win it.

For those that feel Peterson deserves it over Benson...

Peterson - 286 carries, 1,671 yards (5.8 abg), 12 TDs, 3 catches, 6 yards
Benson - 303 carries, 1,764 yards (5.8 avg), 19 TDs, 22 catches, 179 yards, 1 TD

Now factor in which player had the better passing game to help take some pressure off then tell me which player deserves it more.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004   #7
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Speaking as a Longhorn homer I'd love to see Cedric win it.. I don't think it will happen though.

I'm sort of wondering why Jason White isn't mentioned more. He's lead the Sooners to all wins this year, he's been steady as far as I know and I think he's just as good as the USC guy. And I despise OU but in fairness the guy has been rock solid this year.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-04-2004   #8
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think White and Peterson are at a disadvantage because they're teamates, and they'll likely lose some votes because they didn't lead their teams to 11-0 by themselves. They relied upon one another, and although that may be true of every canidate it's not blatantly obvious on every Heisman ballot. I think Alex Smith SHOULD win the Heisman, but I think that Leinhart WILL win the Heisman.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004   #9
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Peterson or Benson should not win it....Alex Smith is true deserving of the award. But it is somewhat of a lock that Leinart will win it...with the LA press and all.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004   #10
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge
Lienart will win it.

Benson should win it.

For those that feel Peterson deserves it over Benson...

Peterson - 286 carries, 1,671 yards (5.8 abg), 12 TDs, 3 catches, 6 yards
Benson - 303 carries, 1,764 yards (5.8 avg), 19 TDs, 22 catches, 179 yards, 1 TD

Now factor in which player had the better passing game to help take some pressure off then tell me which player deserves it more.
Don't get me wrong because I'm a Cedric Benson and UT fan, but what Cedric has done is all while being a senior. Peterson is a true freshman running the ball just as well. Also, OU doesn't use their runningbacks as receivers as much as Texas does, and Peterson split time early on in the season. All I'm saying is there is an arguement either way.

This year is difficult because there are a lot of players that have had strong season and multiple players that have had very impressive seasons.

I don't know who will win it and I don't know who should win it, but I'm anxious to see who does.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004   #11
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

So Cedric should be punished because he's an upperclassman? And you can't use the argument that Peterson split carries because there were a couple of games in which Cedric didn't see the 4th qtr. Heck, against North Texas he saw one drive in the 2nd half and was done for the night.

And OU does use their RBs in the passing game. See Kejuan Jones' 17 catches, JD Runnels' 13 catches. DJ Wolfe (their other true freshman RB) caught as many passes as Peterson. And you can imagine how many fewer snaps he saw.

I've maintained all along that Peterson is the better talent. But he has not been a better RB than Benson this year. OU w/o Peterson might have 1 loss. Texas w/o Benson has 3 losses...easily.

I also find it funny that so many media type are quick to point out Benson's performance (125 total yards, 0 TDs) against OU and use that as justification for not giving him their vote. It doesn't matter that Jason White had 3 turnovers that game, less than 120 yards passing as well as 0 TDs, he's still a candidate. So why is Benson being held to a higher standard?

How many TDs did Leinart produce today against UCLA? Think this game hurt his chances like they say the OU game hurt Benson's?
Old 12-04-2004   #12
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Who will win: Matt Leinart.

Who should win: Jason White.
Old 12-04-2004   #13
dan7
Veteran

Arrow

Who will win: Matt Leinart

Who should win: Cedric Benson
Old 12-04-2004   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 191859 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So why is Benson being held to a higher standard?
Because his team was shutout and he's lost 4 straight to the Sooners. To the victor go the spoils.
Old 12-04-2004   #15
Jonathan_Vilma
waterboy

I originally thought that it would be Peterson to win the Heisman mainly because the way the kid plays the game and lights up teams. But I also don't really follow college football other than players the jets should draft.
Jonathan_Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Vilma
I originally thought that it would be Peterson to win the Heisman mainly because the way the kid plays the game and lights up teams. But I also don't really follow college football other than players the jets should draft.
this is off subject but for years those of us who follow the draft get a kick out of Jet Fan at these funtions, I mean you guys are hilarious. I love all the enthusiasm & passion, the moaning & groaning really classic stuff. So have the Jets ever drafted a Heisman winner? Oh well I guess either too good or too smart. Look forward to the game in a few hours, you can assess your draft picks then against ours

regarding Heisman today, I think we saw some great performances, just not from the front runners, so its unlikely things will change. There seems to be more really great running backs this year than I can remember in some time which may affectivly cancel each other out. I mean look at today alone how do you chose, you've got J.J. Arrington rushing for 254 yds on 31 carries, Reggie Bush rushed for 204 yds on 15 carries & Adrien Peterson 171 yards on 28 attempts. It seems more confusing after this weekend than ever to determine who should win the Heisman.
Old 12-05-2004   #17
LiveForTheGame
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to LiveForTheGame

Quote:
So Cedric should be punished because he's an upperclassman? And you can't use the argument that Peterson split carries because there were a couple of games in which Cedric didn't see the 4th qtr. Heck, against North Texas he saw one drive in the 2nd half and was done for the night.

And OU does use their RBs in the passing game. See Kejuan Jones' 17 catches, JD Runnels' 13 catches. DJ Wolfe (their other true freshman RB) caught as many passes as Peterson. And you can imagine how many fewer snaps he saw.

I've maintained all along that Peterson is the better talent. But he has not been a better RB than Benson this year. OU w/o Peterson might have 1 loss. Texas w/o Benson has 3 losses...easily.

I also find it funny that so many media type are quick to point out Benson's performance (125 total yards, 0 TDs) against OU and use that as justification for not giving him their vote. It doesn't matter that Jason White had 3 turnovers that game, less than 120 yards passing as well as 0 TDs, he's still a candidate. So why is Benson being held to a higher standard?

How many TDs did Leinart produce today against UCLA? Think this game hurt his chances like they say the OU game hurt Benson's?
I agree. Cedric Benson is definitely more valuable to his team than Peterson. UT wouldn't be battling for a bowl spot without him. However, that just maintains my point about the man taking the snaps not being any good at QB because without Peterson OU is still top 10 with Jason White. If the voting was for the player most valuable to his team Benson should win no doubt, but it's for the best player in the game. I think that's why it's so difficult to decide because they're on different teams in different situations.
LiveForTheGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004   #18
BuffSoldier
Hall of Fame

Leinart will
Benson should

What I dont understand is how the experts could simply over-look Benson, just because they lost one game doesnt take anything away from his stellar year. If Benson played with a J.White or a M. Leinart he would probably be a 2000 yard rusher this year.
Old 12-05-2004   #19
Huge
Hall of Fame

Adrian Peterson - 1,843 ... 15 TDs
Cedric Benson - 1,764 ... 19 TDs
Michael Hart - 1,372 ... 9 TDs

Yeah, I can really see how Hart's getting the shaft. Thanks for adding so much to the conversation.
Old 12-08-2004   #20
MikeMc
All Pro

Since we are on RBs:

Benson..no, not even the best player on his team...that would be DJ!

Peterson has solid numbersdespite the fact that OU spreads the ball....Benson is the main focus of UT....don't even mention VYoung!

JJ Arrington is my candidate (RB that is). 1845 yrds, 7.0 avg, 14 TDs..played big in big games, most consistent (11 straight 100 yrd games, 7 - 150+ yrd games, scored in 9 of 11 games (3 multiple TD games). On a top team, in a top division. Carried team when star QB struggled.

It all depends on the criteria you set. Is it the QB of the top team? Best player overall (no matter position, class, or team/conference)?

I would love to see both pairs from USC & OU split the votes, and Alex Smith win it. That guy IS the reason Utah is where they are, not so much the coach as it is the player executing the plays.

Look at Alex Smith's numbers:

Passing:
2624 yrds,
66% comp
28 TD
4 Int
174.9 rating

Rushing:
120- 563 yrds (4.7 avg)
10 TDs

Team is 11-0 ranked in top 10 (BCS & Polls).

To me, he is the best player, hands down.

As for the West Coast media...come on, everyone knows that the voting lies with the East Coast!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read