Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2008   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: "No big name signings here.."

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
As you say, Dayne is not a RFA. You don't have to be with your original team however. RFA's are players who have accrued three seasons in the NFL and who are not under contract.
Now I'm confused. Dayne has more than 3 seasons in NFL and is not under contract. Seems like he meets your criteria of RFA?
Old 02-18-2008   #22
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

My understanding is Jerome Mathis is a RFA and if we "lost" him we could maybe get a 4th? I don't know if any team would take that risk for this often injured player but he did go to pro bowl and did look ok when healthy last season. Guess I can dream as I sure would salivate over a 4th.
Old 02-18-2008   #23
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Now I'm confused. Dayne has more than 3 seasons in NFL and is not under contract. Seems like he meets your criteria of RFA?
It has to be exactly three accrued seasons. Four or more and a player is UFA.

Quote:
My understanding is Jerome Mathis is a RFA and if we "lost" him we could maybe get a 4th? I don't know if any team would take that risk for this often injured player but he did go to pro bowl and did look ok when healthy last season. Guess I can dream as I sure would salivate over a 4th.
A low tender would get a 4th if he signed with another team. They could offer a mid or high tender as well but probably will not.
Old 02-18-2008   #24
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
It has to be exactly three accrued seasons. Four or more and a player is UFA.

A low tender would get a 4th if he signed with another team. They could offer a mid or high tender as well but probably will not.
As long as we hurry up and resign Andre Davis, I would LOVE a 4th rounder for Mathis!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
As long as we hurry up and resign Andre Davis, I would LOVE a 4th rounder for Mathis!
The idea of a 4th rounder makes letting Mathis go real tempting.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #26
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209280 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
We need a LT, CB, FS, and a DE to bookend Mario.

yes, offense is bright and shiny and gets all the raves on SportsCenter (see N.E. and/or Reggie Bush).

But defense wins championships - see N.Y. Giants.

Build the defense.
Please.
You speak the truth. I was gonna say the same thing, but quoting you is easier.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Bye Bye 4th round. See thread on Mathis allegedly choking pregnant girl friend
Old 02-19-2008   #28
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Well the Texans may have some good news. Justin Smith from the Bengals can not be franchised by them because they just used it on one of their OL. That means we could sign Justin Smith as our bookend DE opposite Mario.

Before anyone knew whether he would be franchised, I thought Justin would be the best move we could make if things fell into place. I saw the writing on the wall with the DB market and knew that Trufant and Samuels were pipe dreams. Justin is not a pipe dream. It could happen and I don't think he is going to get the top top money. it will take more money than we paid Weaver but we would at least get a good player in return.

RS, if your gonna sign a big name, let it be Justin Smith.
Old 02-19-2008   #29
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Well the Texans may have some good news. Justin Smith from the Bengals can not be franchised by them because they just used it on one of their OL. That means we could sign Justin Smith as our bookend DE opposite Mario.

Before anyone knew whether he would be franchised, I thought Justin would be the best move we could make if things fell into place. I saw the writing on the wall with the DB market and knew that Trufant and Samuels were pipe dreams. Justin is not a pipe dream. It could happen and I don't think he is going to get the top top money. it will take more money than we paid Weaver but we would at least get a good player in return.

Trufant may not be franchised now. But even though I think he's worth Clements money to lock down the CB position, you're right....it's a pipe dream. One I'm still living though. LOL
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

It is difficult for me to see any more $ put on the D line. I'm hopeful Weaver will be better without injury as he has not really done much as a Texan.
Old 02-19-2008   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It is difficult for me to see any more $ put on the D line. I'm hopeful Weaver will be better without injury as he has not really done much as a Texan.
Weaver is what he is...a tweener miscast in a 4-3

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #32
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 101383 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Weaver = 1 sack in the last two seasons..... Tweener or not, that's just unacceptable. I know he is playing out of position, or rather in the wrong defense, but you would think that he had enough talent to have a few more sacks than 1 in 2 years - even if he lucked into them...
Old 02-19-2008   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Weaver is what he is...a tweener miscast in a 4-3
Yes, but do you EVER hear "Weaver gets the tackle"?
Old 02-19-2008   #34
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
here is my logic. we need help on defense. either improved secondary to help our pass rush or improved pass rush to help our secondary. one or the other. Personally, I think you might be able to get better value from a FA contract for a DL coming off a lesser season like Justin Smith than any of the top DB talent out there right now. Trufant and Samuels are not within our grasp but I think Justin could be. If we could sign Justin Smith, Andre Davis, and Randall Gay as our FA crop, we would be set. To even do 2 of those 3 would be a good FA haul. We will get some other lower profile FA and a few RS quality bargains off the streets to help provide depth.

This offseason reminds me of the 7-9 season offseason. We thought we were close and we pretty much stood pat and did little in the offseason. next thing you know we are 2-14. To stand pat and go status quo is asking for trouble imho. Our division is going to be brutal again and who is to say we will go 7-3 outside the division next year. They need to do something, that is for sure especially with our status in this years draft.
Old 02-20-2008   #35
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
here is my logic. we need help on defense. either improved secondary to help our pass rush or improved pass rush to help our secondary. one or the other. Personally, I think you might be able to get better value from a FA contract for a DL coming off a lesser season like Justin Smith than any of the top DB talent out there right now. Trufant and Samuels are not within our grasp but I think Justin could be. If we could sign Justin Smith, Andre Davis, and Randall Gay as our FA crop, we would be set. To even do 2 of those 3 would be a good FA haul. We will get some other lower profile FA and a few RS quality bargains off the streets to help provide depth.

This offseason reminds me of the 7-9 season offseason. We thought we were close and we pretty much stood pat and did little in the offseason. next thing you know we are 2-14. To stand pat and go status quo is asking for trouble imho. Our division is going to be brutal again and who is to say we will go 7-3 outside the division next year. They need to do something, that is for sure especially with our status in this years draft.
Well, that statemnt is not actually true. They didnt stand pat, the issue is that they subtracted from the team. They went and got a few players that were terrible and released a few players that they should have kept on the team. And to make it worse our draft was really bad too. They will go get players they may just not get the guys you want. I would much rather them go and draft a situational pass rusher in the later rounds, and keep Weaver in on running downs, than pay alot of money for a guy that might only be marginally better. I just dont see them going DE in FA.

To an extent I get what you are saying, but this team has much more talent on it than the 2-14 or the 7-9 team for that matter by a land slide.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

We agree in principal if not necessarily players. NE is losing Samuel AND Gay? What is their back up plan? How good is Gay? What is status of his SB arm injury?

Samuel is discussed as going for Nate Clemmens type $ but if you look at N.C.'s contract it is not that hard on the cap initially. John McClain had a recent article in Chronicle showing win loss record of team getting high price FA but did not mention how each of those FAs played. In other words, we could sign a high priced FA who goes on to earn his $ and the team goes 7-9 in 08. To me that does not mean it was a poor signing. Sure, Texans need to be cautious, but the only guarantee that errors will not be made is to never try.

We now have $35m in cap space not including the recent cuts of Putzier,etc which added some. It is possible for Chris Olsen to work contracts for two high dollar FA starters and still pay draft picks and our FA. There are quite a few Texan FA that might not be back this season. Weary comes to mind as does Ron Dayne. Most posters agree that we can sign a RB, LT and CB in 1st, 3rd and 4th. If a CB FA is signed as a starter such as Trufant that leaves a draft pick open to use for another position in draft. A trade down might work better if we get the right offer. Our team should significantly improve this year although our final record may not reflect a winning season.
Old 02-20-2008   #37
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Samuel is discussed as going for Nate Clemmens type $ but if you look at N.C.'s contract it is not that hard on the cap initially.
Actually Clements' contract is pretty front loaded compared to most. He received a $10 mil roster bonus last year and will get another $10 mil roster bonus this year so he will hit the cap at $13.4 mil in 2008. That said, a similar deal could have been made with the bonuses paid as a signing bonuses and therefore prorated--then his 2008 cap hit would have been $6.1 mil. San Fran had the room to front load it to reduce their back end exposure.
Old 02-20-2008   #38
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Actually Clements' contract is pretty front loaded compared to most. He received a $10 mil roster bonus last year and will get another $10 mil roster bonus this year so he will hit the cap at $13.4 mil in 2008. That said, a similar deal could have been made with the bonuses paid as a signing bonuses and therefore prorated--then his 2008 cap hit would have been $6.1 mil. San Fran had the room to front load it to reduce their back end exposure.
I became aware that the $10m hits were roster bonus rather than signing bonus just minutes prior to reading your post. My bad. Point being as you said, the cap hit for a quality player such as Trufant can fit our team. Why would we not make a serious effort to sign a starting CB in free agency? That would leave three choices in 1,3 & 4th rounds to get possible starters. We could sign RB, LT and ? in draft and CB in FA. Four starters would definitely plug some holes.
Old 02-20-2008   #39
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
We agree in principal if not necessarily players. NE is losing Samuel AND Gay? What is their back up plan? How good is Gay? What is status of his SB arm injury?

Samuel is discussed as going for Nate Clemmens type $ but if you look at N.C.'s contract it is not that hard on the cap initially. John McClain had a recent article in Chronicle showing win loss record of team getting high price FA but did not mention how each of those FAs played. In other words, we could sign a high priced FA who goes on to earn his $ and the team goes 7-9 in 08. To me that does not mean it was a poor signing. Sure, Texans need to be cautious, but the only guarantee that errors will not be made is to never try.

We now have $35m in cap space not including the recent cuts of Putzier,etc which added some. It is possible for Chris Olsen to work contracts for two high dollar FA starters and still pay draft picks and our FA. There are quite a few Texan FA that might not be back this season. Weary comes to mind as does Ron Dayne. Most posters agree that we can sign a RB, LT and CB in 1st, 3rd and 4th. If a CB FA is signed as a starter such as Trufant that leaves a draft pick open to use for another position in draft. A trade down might work better if we get the right offer. Our team should significantly improve this year although our final record may not reflect a winning season.
if we don't have a winning season, we didn't improve. we may have increased the level of perceived level of talent, but that doesnt mean we improved. NFL is about Ws and Ls. Just win baby. and it looks like will lost both Gay and Clements. They arent worried because they will compensate for their depleted secondary with more of a pass rush. Their DC doesn't coach scared like ours does. He knows that if your secondary is suspect, the best thing to do is get after the QB, not play soft zone coverage (like our lame DC does)
Old 02-20-2008   #40
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
if we don't have a winning season, we didn't improve. we may have increased the level of perceived level of talent, but that doesnt mean we improved. NFL is about Ws and Ls. Just win baby. and it looks like will lost both Gay and Clements. They arent worried because they will compensate for their depleted secondary with more of a pass rush. Their DC doesn't coach scared like ours does. He knows that if your secondary is suspect, the best thing to do is get after the QB, not play soft zone coverage (like our lame DC does)
I see your point but disagree. We definitely improved from 2-14 to 8-8 with much stronger team. That is not a "perceived level of talent increase". I am more about the competition than the wins. Most fans would rather beat the 60% or so weak sisters and maybe catch another team or two with injured players and whoop cause we go 10-6 and get into playoffs. Big deal. I realize all teams take same chances and winning those "should win games" is important (I keep telling that to Astros) but a trophy over a bunch of nobodies is not what I'm about. Sort of like the "If the Rockets were in the East..." Give me a break!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read