Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-16-2008   #1
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Awtysst's 2 for 1 Saturday Theoretical Mock!

I present two potential theoretical Mock ideas. One is a situation where we stand at 18. The second is where we trade down. I welcome all criticisms. Tear it apart!

Non trade down
1. Calais Campbell- DE Miami
Some people might wonder how we can take another D lineman, but the fact is that Campbell can do what Weaver cannot: put pressure on the QB and relieve some pressure from Mario and Amobe.

3. Brandon Flowers- CB Virginia Tech
He might be gone by now, but I have heard great things about this guy and I really think he could step in and start from day 1.

4. Kevin Smith-RB Central Florida

5. Kory Lichtensteiger-C Bowling Green
He is the prototypical center for the ZBS. He is quick, has good feet, has a good motor, and strong. He could be a good starter for us or could backup Eslinger.

6. Jordan Dizon-OLB University of Colorado
Dizon is a high motor OLB with a nose for the ball. He would compliment Demeco very well.

7. Dennis Dixon-QB Oregon
Some of you might question why i would take a QB here, but here me out. We could coach him up and then trade him in a couple of years for maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. A 7th rounder will typically get cut so I say, lets try to turn him into a higher pick down the line.

Trade down(In this situation we trade 18 to the Falcons for their 2 seconds)

2a. Sam Baker-OT USC.
I know, but I have seen him falling on a bunch of mocks. I am not sure why, but he has. If so, I like him as a second rounder.

2b. Erin Henderson-OLB Maryland
He could slide in right next to Demeco and be a great compliment.

3. Brandon Flowers- CB Virginia Tech
He might be gone by now, but I have heard great things about this guy and I really think he could step in and start from day 1.

4. Eric Young- G Tennessee
He could be a great guard for our ZBS. He might not start right away, but I am confident he will by late season or ealry next year.

5. Tashard Choice-RB GA Tech
He isn't the speediest of backs but he hits the hole aggressively and moves forward. He also holds onto the ball. With Gibbs now here, he is gonna teach the idea of you get the ball and you go right into the hole. Choice will be a great "choice" (pun intended).

6. Kenny Iwebema- DE Iowa
He is nasty, strong, and has a great motor. He would be able to provide pressure that Weaver is simply unable. Oh, and guess who he got a couple of sacks off in 2005: Joe Thomas, yeah THAT Joe Thomas.

Some of you might question why i would take a QB here, but here me out. We could coach him up and then trade him in a couple of years for maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder. A 7th rounder will typically get cut so I say, lets try to turn him into a higher pick down the line.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Awtysst's 2 for 1 Saturday Theoretical Mock!

Unfortunately, I think you have under valued Flowers, Choice, and Dizon by a full round. In Flowers case like a round and a half at least.
But, I like your picks and I like the ideas that you are throwing out.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm one of the few here that would welcome DE Campbell with 18th pick (must have impressive personel workout for Texans & flop @ combine).

with a strong combine Flowers could be a late 1st rd. pick. starting CB material for the Texans, then flexability to move to FS when Dunta Robinson returns, basicly filling two needs.

Kevin Smith will be a good RB in time but needs time yet to develop, would prefer more of a power back for system to replace Dayne. Choice is not a good fit for system either.

Baker would represent good value in the 2nd but I would select Collins (Kansas) over him straight up. adding a guard/center always viable.

love Dizon in 6th although it looks like Zach Diles is in play this coming season whom Texans picked up in the 7th rd. last year almost identical players, Dizon being better in coverage.

also love Dixon (Oregon) but where's the beef? would like to see a run stuffing NT type to develop late.

good mocking

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #4
Hooston Texan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1283 Hooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHooston Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

With the orgy of cuts going on in Atlanta, I'm starting to think that we can forget about them as a trading partner for our #18. In fact, I think they may be one of the most active trade-down teams around this year.

My hoped-for scenario was that they get McFadden with the #4 pick and then one of the top QB starts falling (like Quinn last year and Aaron Rogers a few years back) to the point where they could get him with our #18.

Thus, in the final analysis, the Schaub trade would be Schaub and their 2008 #2 for our 2007 #2 and our 2008 #1. The pick swap last year was a wash because of Miami's idiotic pick at #9. We weren't going to take Jamal Anderson but Atlanta had to take a DE because of Kerney leaving. So we actually made out on that part because we got to pay Okoye #10 money instead of #8.

But now that they are gutting their roster, the premium will be on more, not fewer picks.
Hooston Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

If Dixon's leg heals properly he woud be a devastating weapon in this offense....
You don't trade that.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-18-2008 at 04:02 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
If Dixon's leg heals properly he woud be a devesting weapon in this offense....
You don't trade that.
Possibly. I would still draft him and give him a chance. You might be right that he's be a great weapon, but at the same time we have Schaub who looked pretty good. But its always good to be in a situation when you have too many good players.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 02-17-2008   #7
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 74980 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Good mock

I like Campbell in the 1st Flowers will not be there in the 3rd.
I would like to se us trade into the 2nd using a 3rd this year & a 3rd next year & take a LT.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2008   #8
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston Texan View Post
With the orgy of cuts going on in Atlanta, I'm starting to think that we can forget about them as a trading partner for our #18. In fact, I think they may be one of the most active trade-down teams around this year.

You make a good point, but here is why I disagree. Part of me thinks though, that they will take McFadden and then would love to add a QB, so they will trade back in. In reality, the 2nd 2nd rounder they have is ours, so they are essentially giving us back our second and trading their 2nd to get our first rounder. That isn't a bad deal if you can get your franchise QB.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read