Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-15-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Stewart once again a Texan

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10644150/rss

for Vinny. other thing I like about it is 31st pick is forfeited not the 32nd......ouch ouchouch

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stewart once again a Texan

I'd rather see us take Mendenhall and let the Cowpokes get Stewart...but if we roll into next season with either of these guys I'll be looking forward to watching them play in Steel Blue. I think both have starting NFL rb written all over them.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
I'd rather see us take Mendenhall and let the Cowpokes get Stewart...but if we roll into next season with either of these guys I'll be looking forward to watching them play in Steel Blue. I think both have starting NFL rb written all over them.
Stewart is the consummate team player, coachable, bright & very supportive of his linemen. he is one to never let stardom interfer with his personality & likes his role to equal not surpass his teammates. having said that I would only be mildly upset if the Texans passed on him because they need secondary help. there is a good chance both Stewart & Mendenhall are available if thats the case it means there has been a run on CB's & tackles. That would also suggest the bpa on the board would be a RB. In this case even a tree hugging NW'sterner U of O alum would have to side with Mendenhall. he is a star in the making & well worth the 18th overall selection.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-15-2008   #4
beerlover
Site Contributor

double checked Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com Senior Writer 1st version of his 08 Mock Draft, counted three cb's taken & four tackles before the Texans 18th pick. regardless of order or rankings this seems a fair projection

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-15-2008   #5
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take either guy Mendenhall or Stewart but I prefer Mendenhall but over there careers stewart has been more productive.
Old 02-15-2008   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I would take either guy Mendenhall or Stewart but I prefer Mendenhall but over there careers stewart has been more productive.
There could be a few reasons for that though.

Stewart plays in the Pac 10, which for the most part, plays very poor defense.

Illinois has sucked recently, until this year, meaning that the RBs didnt run as much because Illinois was always losing.

I'm sure there are others.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #7
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post

I'm sure there are others.
One of which is that Mendenhall wasn't a starter until last season. The Saints' Pierre Thomas was the starting RB for the Illini in '06.
Old 02-15-2008   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87841 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
One of which is that Mendenhall wasn't a starter until last season. The Saints' Pierre Thomas was the starting RB for the Illini in '06.
And Mendenhall still managed 640 yds & 5 TDs on 8.2 yds per carry last year.

For their careers, Mendenhall averaged 6.5 YPC & Stewart 5.6
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Smells of Tony Hollings to me. I'm sure the o-line will be just fine.
Old 02-16-2008   #10
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Why do you say that? Hollings only started in 4 games in colege. Not even close to the same thing.
l
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #11
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74971 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Yep, totally the same thing, cause Hollings had a big breakout junior sea- oh wait.
Old 02-16-2008   #12
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd love to get either one of them, although I'm starting to lean more towards Mendenhall. In any event, we most likely won't be able to trade down & still get one of them. Which makes it even more imperative that we sign a starting CB in free agency. That way, we can pick up some OL help in the 3rd.

By the way, it's been reported that Travelle Wharton has agreed to re-sign with Carolina. Thus, removing him from free agency consideration.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Panthers | Wharton's contract worth $36 million
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:10:16 -0800

The NFL Network reports Carolina Panthers OT Travelle Wharton signed a six-year contract worth $36 million.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008   #13
V Man
Pumpkinhead

Rep Power: 19 V Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden coverV Man could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via MSN to V Man

Saw a piece on him on ESPN yesterday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2459789

He is a rock.

He is starting to be the one I would like to see the Texans draft.

Big, Powerful, Good Speed, and a good team player (has Texans written all over him)
V Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read