Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-14-2008   #1
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brandon Flowers?

I keep seeing his name starting to pop up as high riser at CB.

Saw in Lance Z's Mock he scratched out Cason whom I have penciled in as a 1st rounder in his favor. I admit I've seen Flowers play a few times and I like his game. But I dunno if he's got 1st round talent.

Was hoping a few of the gurus around here would share their thoughts and insight.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #2
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brandon Flowers?

No way guys on flowers.
Old 02-14-2008   #3
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 228126 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
No way guys on flowers.
Care to explain?

I love all the certainty of draft talk. I remember how certain soooo many people were that Charles Rogers was going to be a star and AJ just ok. Someone needs to tell Dunta he is too small to play in the NFL as more than a NB as well.
Old 02-14-2008   #4
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Flowers could be a solid pick, but I want to see what he does at the combine. As far as his playing ability, his stats are ideal and he's got good size. As of right now I'm iffy, but give it a month and I'll probably think more of it.
Old 02-14-2008   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure if Lance & his source had this idea in mind but I see Flowers having potential to play both CB & FS. thats good value & addresses vital needs

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #6
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

He is a solid player but he isn't a 1st round pick from what I have seen from him, now we are reaching for need.
Old 02-15-2008   #7
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4862 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He is a solid player but he isn't a 1st round pick from what I have seen from him, now we are reaching for need.
Mike Mayock would also disagree with this assesment. He seems to think he is the 2nd best CB behind Leodis. I am not saying he is right but hearing information from a PRo scout through LZ's blog and Mike Mayock tends to sway me to Flowers being a good option at our pick instead of your statement that it's a reach pick.

When did you see him? One game this year? Again, I am not saying you are wrong but I would like to hear actual examples.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsMNy...eature=related

Looks like a solid player just from the clip.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 55991 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Brandon Flowers is probably in the Top 3 of most well rounded corners in this draft. I've been talking about this guy since the middle of the season. His big strength is his physicality. He is a very good tackler, and was a key part of that great VTech defense this year. Flowers does a great job on short routes. Stops, short outs, and slants are all routes he does very well against. His weakness in coverage is his deep speed. When he is forced to turn out of his backpedal and run early in the play he struggles a bit.

Overall, Flowers should be a 2nd round pick. We shouldnt take him in the first, and we won't be able to select him in the 3rd.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #10
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
Mike Mayock would also disagree with this assesment. He seems to think he is the 2nd best CB behind Leodis. I am not saying he is right but hearing information from a PRo scout through LZ's blog and Mike Mayock tends to sway me to Flowers being a good option at our pick instead of your statement that it's a reach pick.

When did you see him? One game this year? Again, I am not saying you are wrong but I would like to hear actual examples.
Just because one scout like his technique you think he is the 2nd best corner in the draft What about Rodgers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib & Patrick Lee? I am looking at this scouts page and he is ranked 9th!!!! so everyone has there opinion and I have seen him play in multiple games he is a late 2nd or 3rd pick IMO. So to me and other scouts he is a HUGE reach at 18th in round #1. I think a lot guys on hear are consumed with the notion the Texans will take a cornerback in RD #1 I doubt that very seriously and i think that they will take either mendenhall or stewart and bet you believe that Darren Mcfadden will drop to #20 like mike Mayoch said too?

1. Leodis McKelvin Troy 5-11 190 4.45
2. Mike Jenkins South Florida 6-0 200 4.50
3. Aqib Talib Kansas 6-2 205 4.55
4. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Tennessee St. 6-2 170 4.45
5. Patrick Lee Auburn 6-0 201 4.45
6. Tracy Porter Indiana 5-11 185 4.40
7. Charles Godfrey Iowa 6-1 208 4.40
8. Justin King Penn St. 6-0 186 4.40
9. Brandon Flowers Virginia Tech 5-10 200 4.50
10. Antoine Cason Arizona 6-0 185 4.55
11. Trae Williams South Florida 5-10 185 4.40
12. Jack Ikegwuonu Wisconsin 6-1 193 4.50
13. Terrell Thomas USC 6-1 195 4.45
14. Terrence Wheatley Colorado 5-10 185 4.45
15. DeJuan Tribble Boston College 5-9 190 4.45
16. Chevis Jackson L.S.U. 6-0 190 4.60

Last edited by PHAROAH; 02-15-2008 at 02:23 PM.
PHAROAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because one scout like his technique you think he is the 2nd best corner in the draft What about Rodgers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib & Patrick Lee? I am looking at this scouts page and he is ranked 9th!!!! so everyone has there opinion and I have seen him play in multiple games he is a late 2nd or 3rd pick IMO. So to me and other scouts he is a HUGE reach at 18th in round #1. I think a lot guys on hear are consumed with the notion the Texans will take a cornerback in RD #1 I doubt that very seriously and i think that they will take either mendenhall or stewart and bet you believe that Darren Mcfadden will drop to #20 like mike Mayoch said too?

somewhere in here are the Senior bowl weigh ins....I believe it stated that DRC was up to 183 . I've also seen where he will run in the four threes.

Jack Ikegwuonu: I also posted that Jack blew out his knee a couple of weeks ago (end of January) in a work out...he's liable to go from a frist day prospect to undrafted.

Tribble looked lost durring the Senior bowl week. Every one owned him. Goin' by the Tony Ugoh line, I guess that makes him a sure third rounder and lock for a blue chip starter in the NFL.

Just my knee jerk, a lot of these times are guesses. We'll see next week.

I think Flowers tackles very well and is use to an aggresive D scheme. Which I believe is exactly what the Texans have looked for in the past for a Cb. He fits. Lowery doesn't. Gotta be able to support the run on the Texan's defense.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-19-2008 at 11:39 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #12
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4862 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for actually reading my post. I dont live and breath what Mike Mayock has to say. If you had actually paid attention to what I said instead of getting you panties in a wad about it, you wouldnt be making that smart @$$ comment. Which site did you get that list from? Is it actually a scout or just a draft site? I would like to see a link.
Old 02-17-2008   #13
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Thanks for actually reading my post. I dont live and breath what Mike Mayock has to say. If you had actually paid attention to what I said instead of getting you panties in a wad about it, you wouldnt be making that smart @$$ comment. Which site did you get that list from? Is it actually a scout or just a draft site? I would like to see a link.
First off I'm a grown man and I don't wear womens under wear and it wasn't a smart ass comment I was just pointing out what you stated about Mike Mayoch was swaying your opinion towards taking Brandon Flowers in the 1st Round. and at best he is a low 2nd to high 3rd round pick and makes no since at #18 in the first round.
Old 02-17-2008   #14
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just because one scout like his technique you think he is the 2nd best corner in the draft What about Rodgers-Cromartie, Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib & Patrick Lee? I am looking at this scouts page and he is ranked 9th!!!!
Quote:
Which site did you get that list from? Is it actually a scout or just a draft site? I would like to see a link.
Settle down, guys. Let's wait until the combine is over before becoming so testy.

Actually Pharoah, I wouldn't mind seeing a link to your corner list. Unless, that's just your own list. What I'm seeing is that a) there's a lot of varied opinion on this group of corners and b) this is a pretty deep draft class at CB. There may not be one guy who separates himself from the group.

Some of these CBs are better at press coverage, others have better ball skills and would flourish in zone coverage. There are corners with good recovery speed, and corners who can come up and hit. It will really depend on what team is making the pick as to where these CBs fall in the draft. And, I can't honestly say what attribute the Texans hold most desirous in a CB.

I like Mike Mayock as a draft analyst. Like the great Mel Kiper (), he voices his opinion very strongly. But, he seems to me more technically informative. Still, Mayock isn't perfect (he was on the Reggie Bush is God train), and will make mistakes. Like any other draft guru, he's just a data point for NFL draft geeks.
Old 02-17-2008   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Care to explain?

I love all the certainty of draft talk. I remember how certain soooo many people were that Charles Rogers was going to be a star and AJ just ok. Someone needs to tell Dunta he is too small to play in the NFL as more than a NB as well.
Yeah, no kidding. And Demeco sliding to the second round because he wasn't quite fast enough or big enough to be a first round pick.
Old 02-17-2008   #16
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Settle down, guys. Let's wait until the combine is over before becoming so testy.

Actually Pharoah, I wouldn't mind seeing a link to your corner list. Unless, that's just your own list. What I'm seeing is that a) there's a lot of varied opinion on this group of corners and b) this is a pretty deep draft class at CB. There may not be one guy who separates himself from the group.

Some of these CBs are better at press coverage, others have better ball skills and would flourish in zone coverage. There are corners with good recovery speed, and corners who can come up and hit. It will really depend on what team is making the pick as to where these CBs fall in the draft. And, I can't honestly say what attribute the Texans hold most desirous in a CB.

I like Mike Mayock as a draft analyst. Like the great Mel Kiper (), he voices his opinion very strongly. But, he seems to me more technically informative. Still, Mayock isn't perfect (he was on the Reggie Bush is God train), and will make mistakes. Like any other draft guru, he's just a data point for NFL draft geeks.
Your Right and I will add the link to the draft site and I think that Mike Mayock is much better at evaulating talent than Kiper but I disagree on the cornerback he referenced going at #18.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/rankings.html
Old 02-17-2008   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Some of these CBs are better at press coverage, others have better ball skills and would flourish in zone coverage. There are corners with good recovery speed, and corners who can come up and hit. It will really depend on what team is making the pick as to where these CBs fall in the draft.
this is true every year.

Quote:
And, I can't honestly say what attribute the Texans hold most desirous in a CB.
I'm a little surprised with this remark? Most all of us look to you for the inside scoop, cut through the rhetoric & crap telling us excatly who/what the Texans real plans are.

Quote:
sounds like a lot of us on this board doesn't it but we all still like each other right

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-17-2008   #18
beerlover
Site Contributor

maybe not....oh well

returning to football talk, Flowers is an interesting pick. I've stated numerous times he is an excellent FS prospect & can play CB in cover 2. Its been well documented Rhodes likes his corners to play off & keep the play in front of them in prevent mode, force mistakes/turnovers, aggressive in run support & excell in blitz situations. Flowers should grade high here, maybe higher than most others.

@ this point I don't see the need to be concerned with Brandons value or placement. he does have the ability to help this team in a major area of concern however & could fit in beautifully with scheme & personel. these are the factors that come into play leading up to the draft in the final weeks. right now everything is dicatated by skill assesment, tools, team needs now & into future. when they put the puzzle together don't be shocked if somebody unfamilar rises up like Mario Williams did two years ago, despite being touted right here on this board (MorKnolle) as the pick.

I'm not ready to call out just anyone as the logical pick (well except for Mendenhall, McKelvin, Clady) rather there is enough to at least consider Brandon Flower a viable propsect for

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 02-17-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2008   #19
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Quote:
First off I'm a grown man and I don't wear womens under wear and it wasn't a smart ass comment I was just pointing out what you stated about Mike Mayoch was swaying your opinion towards taking Brandon Flowers in the 1st Round. and at best he is a low 2nd to high 3rd round pick and makes no since at #18 in the first round.
I was not intending on coming off as testy however I was not simply basing my opinion squarely on what Mike Mayock said, I simply found it interesting that LZ had info from a Pro Scout that matched up with what Mayock said. So my swaying came from 2 people that probably know more than I do about the players in this draft. And if 2 guys are telling me something I would tend to be swayed their way over 1 guy saying something else.

I guess my biggest irritation was that it didnt look like you really read my posts fully.

It doesnt really matter anyway because I want Mendenhall.

Well really just want the best guy thats available but I would definantly be happy about him in a Texans uni.

Last edited by bigbrewster2000; 02-18-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-18-2008   #20
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

macho harris was the better corner of those 2 IMO.. More speed & versatility, same aggression & ball skills. Having said that though, i'd be fine if they picked up flowers at some point.

Last edited by Mr teX; 02-18-2008 at 09:18 AM.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read