Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-13-2008   #1
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer
Default Defensive Backs With Character

Since the Texans' inception, the team has always tried to bring in the "classy" guys, the players who are never short on quality character. I think this is part of why Mario was selected over Reggie, and at least part of the equation that brought Andre Johnson, Amobi Okoye, and Demeco Ryans to the team.

With that in mind, I suspect that this draft the Texans will again look to picking character guys. Assuming that the Texans take a defensive back, does anybody have an opinion on how they would rank safeties and cornerbacks, based solely on character? (I'd also be curious for the same thoughts on running backs and tackles.)

For example, I see that Leon McKelvin has had a problem or two with the law. This makes me think that even if the Texans were in the position to draft him, they wouldn't.
Old 02-13-2008   #2
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Defensive Backs With Character

We won't know until the team gets to interview all the kids one-on-one at the combine.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #3
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

So the combine has come and gone. A little more should be known about these guys. I don't have much in the way of resources, so I used Draft Countdown, which breaks down the players. I went looking for CBs, RBs, and Tackles that seemed to fit the bill for the Texans. Since all players have skills, number one on my board was the intangibles and character issues.

This is who I think the Texans will like, based on character. I put the relevant parts of the right-up underneath each player

RB
Stewart
He attacks the line and gets upfield in a hurry...Has terrific hands and can catch the ball out of the backfield...Solid blocker...Tough...Doesn't have a lot of mileage on his tires...Hard worker with great intangibles
Mendenhall
Tough and durable…A hard worker and team player with top-notch intangibles....Still improving and has some upside
Felix Jones
Team player with good intangibles...There isn't a lot of wear and tear on his body....Versatile and also an outstanding kick returner
Mike Hart
Rarely fumbles...Real productive...Tough and strong...A hard worker...Extremely competitive...Smart....A team leader with excellent intangibles
Tashard Choice
Good hands and can catch the ball out of the backfield...Nice balance...Hard worker and leader with top intangibles...

CB
Talib
Can excel in man or zone...Good intangibles...Extremely confident with a short memory..Has some return potential
Cason
Very aggressive...Does a solid job of supporting the run...A reliable tackler…Smart, a hard worker and a leader...Very productive...Confident and has a short memory...Terrific bloodlines

LT
Chris Williams
Does a fantastic job in pass protection...Mobile and can get to the second level...Very smart with good awareness...Versatile and has played both guard and tackle...Team leader...
Sam Baker
Very smart with good awareness...A natural left tackle…Fine character…Has a lot of experience against top competition
Cousins
Extremely athletic...Very quick and agile...Light on his feet and slides well...Mobile with good range...Has long arms with some size potential...Flexible and a natural knee bender..Offers some versatility...He's still improving and has a ton of upside

Based on this (and I know the weakness of this ranking is that I'm basing it on one website), here is how I think the Texans are going to put players on their draft board:

1. Aqib Talib
2. Chris Williams
3. Jonathon Stewart
4. Rashard Mendenhall
5. Felix Jones
6. Sam Baker
7. Mike Hart
8. Antoine Cason
9. Tashard Choice
10. Oneil Cousins

Talib and Williams get the bump over some of those running backs because there just aren't many high-intangibles kind of cornerbacks and tackles in the draft, but there are, as seen, many RBs with the right set of skills and intangibles to gel well with the team/franchise.

Based on this, I would not be surprised to see something like Talib in the first and Hart in the third. Or perhaps a draft-down scenario to get Baker, Cason, and Hart.

Yeah, I keep writing Hart. I've heard he'll be there in the third, and he has the leadership skills and ball skills to fit well on the team. A tough, rarely fumbling team leader sounds good to me for running back. I just hope he doesn't rocket up the boards.

Any thoughts on this, or who you think is a "quality" guy that the Texans will draft?
Old 03-05-2008   #4
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally, I'd have Chris Williams at number 1. I really feel like the Texans finally need to try to find that guy who can man the LT spot for years to come. I'm not saying that CB is NOT a need, but with the signing of Reeves and the depth at the position in the draft, I think CB CAN be addressed in the third or later. But of course, as I've just read your post again, that this is based on character, so what do I know?
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hart quite possibly ran himself completely out of the draft.
Old 03-05-2008   #6
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4862 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
Hart quite possibly ran himself completely out of the draft.
NOPE. His 40 time isnt going to hurt him as bad as you think. Teams are still going to go back to tape and what they see on tape trumps the combine. Maybe drops to the 4th. If he drops to the 5th BIG IF then someone is getting an absolute steal.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008   #7
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
NOPE. His 40 time isnt going to hurt him as bad as you think. Teams are still going to go back to tape and what they see on tape trumps the combine. Maybe drops to the 4th. If he drops to the 5th BIG IF then someone is getting an absolute steal.
I dunno .... 195 lb guys running a 4.67 are'nt in demand . I do agree though he is productive .
Old 03-05-2008   #8
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see someone takin a shot on Hart in the 5th or 6th round.

The combine didnt show anything that people didnt already know. Mike Hart has limited athleticism and the best intanibles in the draft.
Old 03-05-2008   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Are there any of these players who have great intangibles, but who you would hate to see the Texans draft?

Also, I was only looking at a need-based draft in the first round. The way it looks to me, the Texans can select a combination of CB/RB/LT in the first and third round that would really improve the team. Looking outside of LT/CB/RB, are there any other quality dudes coming out of the NCAAs who the Texans might draft?
Old 03-05-2008   #10
bah007
Hall of Fame

Matt Ryan has great intangibles, but I would hate for the Texans to draft him...
Old 03-05-2008   #11
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
Yeah, I keep writing Hart. I've heard he'll be there in the third, and he has the leadership skills and ball skills to fit well on the team. A tough, rarely fumbling team leader sounds good to me for running back. I just hope he doesn't rocket up the boards.
I don't think you have to worry about that. He might rocket down the boards though. He ran a 4.67 at the Combine. Ouch!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #12
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's worse than pretty bad. Do linemen run that speed? Then again, it would feel typical to get the RB in the fifth or sixth...
Old 03-06-2008   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I see someone takin a shot on Hart in the 5th or 6th round.
I agree. He reminds me of former Oiler all purpose RB Allen Pinkett. Hart will find a niche in the NFL.
Old 03-06-2008   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Hart is a summary of the back's Texans have had, lacks 2nd level speed, not explosive off the snap, will be good for the proverbial 2-3 yd. avg. can catch & run but not seperate, I can almost see it now, get the

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #15
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I dunno .... 195 lb guys running a 4.67 are'nt in demand . I do agree though he is productive .
He also has alot of wear on his legs. He was a between the tackles pounder at Michigan for a long time.
Old 03-06-2008   #16
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

If Stewart or Mendenhall are available at #18, would that trump Talib or Williams? I'm expecting one or both running backs to probably be gone by then, but at the same time, I think I'd hesitate to think that the Cason will be available in the third. Maybe Stewart/Mendenhall in the first, with Cousins in the third?
Old 03-06-2008   #17
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
If Stewart or Mendenhall are available at #18, would that trump Talib or Williams? I'm expecting one or both running backs to probably be gone by then, but at the same time, I think I'd hesitate to think that the Cason will be available in the third. Maybe Stewart/Mendenhall in the first, with Cousins in the third?
I sure hope the Texans would take Mendenhall or Stewart over Talib or Williams, but that's just my opinion. Right now I have no clue what the Texans are thinking as far as who to pick in the 1st round. I will say I think there is a better chance of Talib and/or Williams being there than Stewart or Mendenhall. JMHO!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #18
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 13104 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insideop View Post
I sure hope the Texans would take Mendenhall or Stewart over Talib or Williams, but that's just my opinion. Right now I have no clue what the Texans are thinking as far as who to pick in the 1st round. I will say I think there is a better chance of Talib and/or Williams being there than Stewart or Mendenhall. JMHO!
I think that a potential priemier LT is FAR greater than a potential priemier RB. RBs can be found in later rounds, but LT is a crapshoot. I'm hoping and praying that Williams drops to us and we jump all over him.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #19
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I think that a potential priemier LT is FAR greater than a potential priemier RB. RBs can be found in later rounds, but LT is a crapshoot. I'm hoping and praying that Williams drops to us and we jump all over him.
I think a lot can be said for what NFL teams think of respective positions...

Quote:
Position..2007 Franchise Tag Value... Percentage Change from 2006
QB .............$12.615 million ...........................+43.5%
OL ...............$9.556 million ...........................+36.8%
DE ...............$8.664 million .............................+3.7%
CB ...............$7.790 million ............................+32.2%

WR ..............$7.613 million ............................+23.3%
LB ...............$7.206 million ..............................+0.5%
RB ...............$6.999 million ............................+15.0%
DT ...............$6.775 million ............................+19.8%
S .................$4.490 million ..............................+9.3%
TE ...............$4.371 million .............................+31.2%
P/K ..............$2.078 million ..............................-15.8%
http://www.sportscity.com/NFL-Franchise-Tags/
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read