Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-13-2008   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Just watched the '93 Oilers/Bills game on NFL Network

Man, I started feeling sick all over again. However I am glad I watched it. I never even watched highlights of that game and this was the first glimpse back for me since it happened 15 years ago. I forgot about so much of that game (which was probably a good thing), however hearing the players commentary on what was actually happening was very interesting. Some things I didn't know or remember where how so many off the wall things had to happen for Buffalo to come back. Jeffries dropping that sure TD catch which would have probably ended it late in the 4th was one. The Oilers coaching staff getting ultra conservative at the end of the 4th, going for the tie and not the win (Jeffires ranting about that one in the commentary). He said it sent the wrong message to the team.

There were also bad calls that went Buffalo's way like Beebe stepping out of bounds, coming back in and catching a TD pass, or Givens getting held resulting in the final interception that sealed the deal.

I remember being so p*ssed that they let Buffalo back in the game, that even if they won I had no confidence in them going to Pittsburgh.

Jeffires said that game broke the spirits of that team and franchise. You know that game might not have only broken that franchise, you can probably trace back the ultimate demise of the Houston Oilers to that game. I was living in the Northeast at the time, however I can only imagine how that game must have affected the Houston fan base in general considering how fickle fans can be in Houston. I remember Bud making his stadium demands just a year or 2 later and the response might have been different if 35-3 had never happened.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Just watched the '93 Oilers/Bills game on NFL Network

Gosh damn, son of a b****, moth** ****er................ I guess I have a reason to go to the bar tonight...

Old 02-13-2008   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post

Gosh damn, son of a b****, moth** ****er................ I guess I have a reason to go to the bar tonight...

As if you needed one????

I usually never say the word hate, but I really hate seeing that game replayed so often. :elle:
Old 02-13-2008   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So you had to go and remind all of us too!!!????
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29759 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm glad I wasn't an Oiler fan back then (I didn't live in Houston at the time...I was too young to remember any football anyway). I probably would have been suicidal if I were old enough and a big enough fan to watch that.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #6
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Jeffires said that game broke the spirits of that team and franchise. You know that game might not have only broken that franchise, you can probably trace back the ultimate demise of the Houston Oilers to that game. I was living in the Northeast at the time, however I can only imagine how that game must have affected the Houston fan base in general considering how fickle fans can be in Houston. I remember Bud making his stadium demands just a year or 2 later and the response might have been different if 35-3 had never happened.
No doubt in my mind. Bud's antics had gotten old, but 35-3 sealed the deal, IMO. The following year vs. KC didn't help, either.
Old 02-13-2008   #7
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

wound re-opened and salt poured in........................
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2008   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

All I can say is I hate the prevent defense. It should be used only on 3rd and very long situations, basically--no matter what the score is.

I know there were a lot more problems than that, but I still hate the prevent, except after a sack or something and when the down and distance is just screaming for it.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008   #9
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
No doubt in my mind. Bud's antics had gotten old, but 35-3 sealed the deal, IMO. The following year vs. KC didn't help, either.

You know, the next year against Kansas City was like the universe saying to me "Yes, that was exactly what you thought it was last year at Buffalo." The Buffalo game was the final straw and the Kansas City game was like confirmation that the it was really over.

Oiler hate eclipsed my Oiler love at that moment (Buffalo). It might have eventually come back around but then KC happened and held it off for a little longer. That turned out to be just long enough for the Oilers to head out the door without much of fight from the rest of us.
Old 02-13-2008   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
You know, the next year against Kansas City was like the universe saying to me "Yes, that was exactly what you thought it was last year at Buffalo." The Buffalo game was the final straw and the Kansas City game was like confirmation that the it was really over.

Oiler hate eclipsed my Oiler love at that moment (Buffalo). It might have eventually come back around but then KC happened and held it off for a little longer. That turned out to be just long enough for the Oilers to head out the door without much of fight from the rest of us.
Oh, thats just great!!! Throw in the KC loss too and Buddy Ryan's normally aggressive defense goes totally limp bisquit...

Just great!!!

I'm having a crap day, why doesn't somebody bring up the choke job in Denver as well, and mention Glanville & 'Stagger Lee'

Old 02-13-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah, I watched this abomination awhile back on NFL Network. And the 3 hour version at that! I should have just taken a golf tee, put it in my belly button, and started slamming away with a ball-peen hammer while chewing on some aluminum foil.

I have no doubt that 35-3 + $60 million X Bud Adams = Titans from Uranus
Old 02-14-2008   #12
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 64 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

As a life long fan of the Oilers I will always have that embarassing game tucked some where in the darkness of my mind but atleast the continuing embarassments of that franchise and it's owner is no longer my cross to bear. Isn't it amuzing that some ICOU is saddled with that game and more than likely doesn't have a clue about what a laughing stock that frachise is.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #13
Blazing Arrow
Work'n da grill

Rep Power: 258 Blazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respectedBlazing Arrow is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Blazing Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overalls View Post
As a life long fan of the Oilers I will always have that embarassing game tucked some where in the darkness of my mind but atleast the continuing embarassments of that franchise and it's owner is no longer my cross to bear. Isn't it amuzing that some ICOU is saddled with that game and more than likely doesn't have a clue about what a laughing stock that frachise is.
How many winning seasons have the Texans had? .000% ... right. Embarrassing is a pretty large word for you to use considering the franchise you follow .... anyways.

I just remember the pick at the beginning of the second half and thinking there was no way the Bills were coming back.

RIP Steve ... you showed us what a warrior truly is.
Blazing Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
embarrassing
adj
1: hard to deal with; especially causing pain or embarrassment; "awkward (or embarrassing or difficult) moments in the discussion"; "an awkward pause followed his remark"; "a sticky question"; [syn: awkward, sticky, unenviable]
2: causing to feel shame or chagrin or vexation; "the Oilers meltdown in Buffalo was embarrassing
3: Tennessee Titans, Tennessee Oilers, Houston Oilers
4: K.S. "Bud" Adams a.k.a. "Bud the Dud" a.k.a. Bud "the Bad Rug" Adams a.k.a "Chet" from 'Weird Science'

Old 02-14-2008   #15
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

'Nuff said!!!
Old 02-14-2008   #16
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Why in the world would someone put themselves through that tragedy? Watching that game is like a bandaid - tear it off, feel the pain, and it's done.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #17
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
Why in the world would someone put themselves through that tragedy? Watching that game is like a bandaid - tear it off, feel the pain, and it's done.
Truthfully... If I'm home and it comes on, I watch it.

I always think that Moon is going to lead us to a TD for the win, instead of a FG to tie the game and send it to OT. Alas, it never happens...

*sigh*

and then I'm usually in a bad mood for a few days.
Old 02-14-2008   #18
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Truthfully... If I'm home and it comes on, I watch it.

I always think that Moon is going to lead us to a TD for the win, instead of a FG to tie the game and send it to OT. Alas, it never happens...

*sigh*

and then I'm usually in a bad mood for a few days.
I would rather watch the Texans pull off the upset versus the Colts in '06....or the Texans defeat the Jags in our last game of this season. Watching that debauchery makes me want to kill Frank Reich and our secondary.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #19
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

I think I actually shed a tear that day. If you think about it, NFL football in this city has never been the same since. 15 fricking years of futility or even no team at all. We finally are just starting to REALLY recover thanks to this new regime and our brighter days ahead (hopefully). Its been a long hard road.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 398918 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazing Arrow View Post
How many winning seasons have the Texans had? .000% ... right. Embarrassing is a pretty large word for you to use considering the franchise you follow .... anyways.
tsk tsk, and empty straw man.

How many championships has your franchise had in several decades? At the end of the day, that's all that matters and it's why they play the game.

fu·til·i·ty (fyōō-tĭl'ĭ-tē)
- The quality of having no useful result; uselessness.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read