Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-20-2008   #121
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Truth & Rumors: Texans' draft plans include tackle

So there's no doubt in my mind that we draft OL somewhere in the draft. Be it LT, G, or Both. I think we come away with 2 players.

How many player do you think we'll keep on the OL? How many did we keep on the 53 man roster last year? I don't remember but trying to make cuts down to the 53 is very difficult.

Currently we have 16 players on the OL (after 2 were released this week):

4 Centers: Steve McKinney, Greg Eslinger, Chris White, Chukky Okobi, Mike Flanagan (released), Drew Hodgdon (released)

6 Guards: Chester Pitts, Fred Weary, Kasey Studdard, Mike Brisiel, Dan Stevenson, Scott Jackson

6 Tackles: Ephraim Salaam, Eric Winston, Charles Spencer, Rashad Butler, Brandon Frye, Jordan Black.

I suspect we're going to at least be bringing in some more Gibbs' type players through FA, Draft, and UDFA- to at the minimum be competition. I really think we'll be getting 1-2 guys in the draft so that puts us at 18 players for arguements sake.

Maybe we can discuss who doesn't really fit what Gibbs wants, make a few cuts ourselves...

The way I see it, Salaam is not our long term answer but good enough for next year. There's gotta be someone ready to step in and/or someone grooming to take over the job. Winston is RT, Spencer-I'm not counting on him (Cut or moved to Guard imo), Black- Don't know if he has a place on the roster. That leaves Brandon Frye that I could see gives working with, but he's Raw and needs a lot of time, I wouldn't trust him with Schaub's blindside this year at least. And lastly, Rashad Butler whom I know little about.

To me, Frye is the only guy on the roster that would really have me believing he would be our future LT (through grooming, learning, etc- not any time soon). This leaves me feeling very very uneasy about the pradicament we're in, so I would look for a LT in the draft early.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #122
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Pen 1 View Post
Yes, in the 6 years we were a expansion team, you cannot get all 1st rounders as starters in your 1st year. The Oilers were an established team and with all those 1st and 2nd rounders on the line didn't win a Super Bowl. As a matter a fact the Oilers didn't even go tho the Super Bowl until they were the Titans.
So what I'm trying to say is just because you have all 1st and 2nd rounders on the o-line doesn't mean you're going to the Super Bowl. Also back then players were more commited to one team, because for the most part played on the same team their whole carrier.

If you think about it with the new GM and head coach our draft pickes haven't been too bad, actually mose of the draft picks are still on the team. As I see it we have a better starting team and better backups than we had before the new regeine.
Ya know it's funny you mentioned the Oilers....now are you saying that after couple of 1-13's...the result of late day two patches and very bad free agent signings btw, ( Hey the The texans do that !!!) that their lot wasn't much improved after the Munch and Mathews picks ? I wanna see you post that huag wash there einstien. And how many paly off apareances and winning seasons did they have after they finally bit the bullet and lit up couple of HOFers through high draft picks ? And how many play off seasons do the Texans currently have under their belts ? Don't tell me about the Oilers there grass hopper. I wasn't a band wagon cowboys fan...I lived the Oilers.

Just a knee jerk: One way works and one way doesn't. You figgure it out.
Old 02-20-2008   #123
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
So there's no doubt in my mind that we draft OL somewhere in the draft. Be it LT, G, or Both. I think we come away with 2 players.

How many player do you think we'll keep on the OL? How many did we keep on the 53 man roster last year? I don't remember but trying to make cuts down to the 53 is very difficult.

Currently we have 16 players on the OL (after 2 were released this week):

4 Centers: Steve McKinney, Greg Eslinger, Chris White, Chukky Okobi, Mike Flanagan (released), Drew Hodgdon (released)

6 Guards: Chester Pitts, Fred Weary, Kasey Studdard, Mike Brisiel, Dan Stevenson, Scott Jackson

6 Tackles: Ephraim Salaam, Eric Winston, Charles Spencer, Rashad Butler, Brandon Frye, Jordan Black.

I suspect we're going to at least be bringing in some more Gibbs' type players through FA, Draft, and UDFA- to at the minimum be competition. I really think we'll be getting 1-2 guys in the draft so that puts us at 18 players for arguements sake.

Maybe we can discuss who doesn't really fit what Gibbs wants, make a few cuts ourselves...

The way I see it, Salaam is not our long term answer but good enough for next year. There's gotta be someone ready to step in and/or someone grooming to take over the job. Winston is RT, Spencer-I'm not counting on him (Cut or moved to Guard imo), Black- Don't know if he has a place on the roster. That leaves Brandon Frye that I could see gives working with, but he's Raw and needs a lot of time, I wouldn't trust him with Schaub's blindside this year at least. And lastly, Rashad Butler whom I know little about.

To me, Frye is the only guy on the roster that would really have me believing he would be our future LT (through grooming, learning, etc- not any time soon). This leaves me feeling very very uneasy about the pradicament we're in, so I would look for a LT in the draft early.
I see maybe three centers. Maybe Weary will not be back. And if Black is gone I'm ok wid dat.
Old 02-20-2008   #124
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Ya know it's funny you mentioned the Oilers....now are you saying that after couple of 1-13's...the result of late day two patches and very bad free agent signings btw, ( Hey the The texans do that !!!) that their lot wasn't much improved after the Munch and Mathews picks ? I wanna see you post that huag wash there einstien. And how many paly off apareances and winning seasons did they have after they finally bit the bullet and lit up couple of HOFers through high draft picks ? And how many play off seasons do the Texans currently have under their belts ? Don't tell me about the Oilers there grass hopper. I wasn't a band wagon cowboys fan...I lived the Oilers.

Just a knee jerk: One way works and one way doesn't. You figgure it out.
No it isn't one way works and one way doesn't, but OK since you only see black and white--remind us again how many super bowls the Oilers won with their high draft picks on the OL and how many the Cowboys did in the '90's and how many 1st rounders were on their OL?
Old 02-20-2008   #125
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No it isn't one way works and one way doesn't, but OK since you only see black and white--remind us again how many super bowls the Oilers won with their high draft picks on the OL and how many the Cowboys did in the '90's and how many 1st rounders were on their OL?
Personally I don't care if we find the answer in the first round or the seventh, I just know we need an every down LT that can run block and pass protect, period. for that matter we could use some help at guard also, we have alot of guys that can do the job but dont excel at anything. Pitts and weary have stuck around long enough to be capable but now they are having injury issues. I think building a solid O-line is a continuous effort, not just for us but virtually every team in the league. Everyone WANTS that probowl line, but it just dont come easy.I do think though that you have to work diligently at it and not settle for mediocrity.
Old 02-20-2008   #126
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer View Post
Personally I don't care if we find the answer in the first round or the seventh, I just know we need an every down LT that can run block and pass protect, period.
True--I just don't think it is reasonable to set mandates (changing ones at that) for when that help has to come.

Quote:
Pitts and weary have stuck around long enough to be capable but now they are having injury issues.
I think Weary is gone--UFA, injured, not a prototypical Gibbs guy and looking for a bigger contract. Injury issues for Pitts?--dude has missed what, 2 snaps in the history of the Texans?

Quote:
I think building a solid O-line is a continuous effort, not just for us but virtually every team in the league.
True--and if you keep on getting value guys as they come available like Spencer and Winston you build the luxury of not forcing needs into higher rounds.
Old 02-20-2008   #127
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Amen to all of the above!
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2008   #128
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Larry Allen - 2nd rd. Sonoma State
Nate Newton - Un-drafted and played in USFL. Florida State.
Mark Stepnoski - 3rd round Pittsburgh
Mark Tuinei - Un-drafted Hawaii
Erik Williams - 3rd Round - Central State
Kevin Grogan - 8th round Washington
John Gesek - 10th round Sacramento State
Derek Kennard - 2nd Round - Nevada
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #129
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Jimmy Johnson was a great talent evaluator.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #130
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
The same number the Texans have..I think a lot of folks would be happy if the could acheive a split with this group next year with in the division. There's no long term plan in place they are just throwing drats up and hoping everything works out O.K. in the end. I also noticed one year the cowboys went back to back on o-lineman in the second and third rounds...

Value, would that be like starting over on franchise QBs every five years ? I mean you say it can be done...We're waiting.

1586. 417 attemps for a 3.8 averge.

Year six and counting. I mean we're getting to the point where A.J. has only so many snaps left in the bank....by the time we find your hidden gems, we'll be starting over again with the skill positions...It's just to rich. There is a pool of day one tallent this year in the draft. But the supply of them is limited. They could get lucky. Every round of the draft that slips by and they don't adress the issue of the offensive line is one more nail in the coffin of Matt Schub tenure with the Texans. Tllent matters. Day two guys are day two guys for a reason.
Old 02-21-2008   #131
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read