Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-12-2008   #1
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 173001 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Truth & Rumors: Texans' draft plans include tackle

Here's the Link:

Quote:
The Texans will draft a left tackle to groom behind Ephraim Salaam. They'll also draft a running back, a pass rushing end and a free safety. Right now, they have six picks. They might end up with one or two more, but it won't happen until draft day, in all probability. If Rick Smith re-signs Andre Davis, the Texans won't need a receiver.
Would this hint that regardless of who is drafted Salaam will be starting at LT next year?

Yeah I know it's Truth & Rumors - hopefully this stimulates so sort of conversation. Doubt it but none the less at least SI knows we need some OL help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #2
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Truth & Rumors: Texans' draft plans include tackle

Will Salaam start at LT for game one? Probably.

Will Salaam start at LT by game sixteen? Maybe.

We all want to see Spencer picking up where he left off, but to be honest.... I wouldn't be at all surprised if Salaam starts the entire season. As far as drafting a LT.... I am not opposed to it. Can that person beat out Salaam? Probably not. They may see some garbage time action though.
Old 02-12-2008   #3
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

They will all Start where Gibbs Lets them start
Old 02-12-2008   #4
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Interesting that they don't list CB has a need. I still think we draft a CB in the first unless Kenny Phillips is available.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #5
headsplint
All Pro

Rep Power: 1333 headsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respectedheadsplint is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Here's the Link:

Would this hint that regardless of who is drafted Salaam will be starting at LT next year?

Yeah I know it's Truth & Rumors - hopefully this stimulates so sort of conversation. Doubt it but none the less at least SI knows we need some OL help.
This is actually taken off this from John Mclain's blog here:

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2008/02/t...draft_and.html

He pieced together his info from the videos in that article though. Not bad for him.
Old 02-12-2008   #6
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

I think DB is most likely addressed in FA. Seems like there are several fairly good players available, and I am not talking about the big names like Samuels, Trufant, ect....
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #7
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Interesting that they don't list CB has a need. I still think we draft a CB in the first unless Kenny Phillips is available.
I'm sure they already know exactly what they're doing about the CB position. It's WAY too key a position with our Defense for them to not have something up there sleeves. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with our CB along side Bennett at the beginning of the season.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-12-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's what McClain wrote earlier in the blog:

Quote:
Many of you continue to think the Texans need to use thief first-round pick on a left tackle or a running back. My question to you is this: Who's going to play cornerback opposite Fred Bennett? Even if Dunta Robinson makes a miraculous comeback and plays before November, there's no guarantee he's going to pick up where he left off last season.

The Texans should approach the draft and free agency as if Robinson won't return in 2008. Von Hutchins, who filled in nicely, is a free agent, too. In other words, they must get a cornerback in free agency or the first round or both.
Old 02-12-2008   #9
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

And I agree.

But what the general is not posting is simply this: when does this organazation quit drafting for critical mass and start building a SB roster ?

Every year it's always something other than the o-line. the o-line has been pushed to the back of the stove for a while now. And the lines are the key. Make no mistake about it. You build from the inside out.

Nothing else works.

Not the playmakers, not the QB, not the Running back.Not the safties. You Tell me Gibbs is the savior of the o-line...prove it. Even coach Gibbs, as good as he is, has to have a starting point in tallent.

The safty pick tells me the Glen Earl experiment is over.
Old 02-12-2008   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
And I agree.

But what the general is not posting is simply this: when does this organazation quit drafting for critical mass and start building a SB roster ?

Every year it's always something other than the o-line. the o-line has been pushed to the back of the stove for a while now. And the lines are the key. Make no mistake about it. You build from the inside out.
there is no reason to think that you should draft a lineman just to draft a lineman...Robert Gallery was not a good pick, Jordan Gross has been average, Big Mike Williams was a super bust in Buffalo... It all depends on who is there. You can find guys who can start all over the first day of the draft....and further back at times.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #11
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Will Salaam start at LT for game one? Probably.

Will Salaam start at LT by game sixteen? Maybe.

We all want to see Spencer picking up where he left off, but to be honest.... I wouldn't be at all surprised if Salaam starts the entire season. As far as drafting a LT.... I am not opposed to it. Can that person beat out Salaam? Probably not. They may see some garbage time action though.
Twenty six games and counting. Franchise QB #2 and counting. The stuff is already starting to fly. MS is hurt a lot therefore it is MS's fault. He's brittle. Prety damn convient if you ask me. Everytime you switch QBs...you set the franchise back five years. This is year three removed FHHSNBN. And they have drafted exacatly zero offensive lineman in the first two rounds since that time. Tallent matters. And switching QBs every five years is .... very expensive.
Old 02-12-2008   #12
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Exactly. This guy seems to not be in touch with the situation. I would love to get an OT prospect but we need a CB or even a playmaking FS much more than we need a prospect OT this year. Maybe Tony Hills will be around in the 3rd Round and we can draft him. I just don't think there is an OT out there, other than Baker, that will still be around at #18 that would be a good value. I don't even want Clady at #18 and I hear he could be gone as early as New England's pick. We need DBs. I think Phillips and to a lesser extent Cason would give us good value at #18. Just my opinion but our secondary needs help and it needs help now.
Old 02-12-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
there is no reason to think that you should draft a lineman just to draft a lineman...Robert Gallery was not a good pick, Jordan Gross has been average, Big Mike Williams was a super bust in Buffalo... It all depends on who is there. You can find guys who can start all over the first day of the draft....and further back at times.
And that is exactly the point Vinny. You can say the same thing bout first round QBs.
Does that mean you shouldn't, out of hand, never select a QB in the first round ? The wives tell that you always take the franchise QB first when you have the chance is a ...lie ?

On the other hand you can say that they have never taken a FS high and therefore Kenny Phillips should be the selcetion. Or the RB....However, the difference between those two and say a king dunlap type fourth round or fifth round prospect is the fact that they will not get your forty-eight million dollar QB killed if they are forced to start. See what I mean ? Been a while since Bosselli stood at the podium....wanna draft them late and make it work...so far it hasn't worked. Didn't work last year. And just which day two guy on the roster do you feel really comfortble with in front of MS ? See what I mean ?
Old 02-12-2008   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 416490 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And they have drafted exacatly zero offensive lineman in the first two rounds since that time. Tallent matters.
Oooh, three whole picks and look at the horrible talent they picked up--Mario, DeMeco and Omobi--two of who are fulfilling the building from the trenches motto.

Nice how you framed that as only the 1st two rounds since recognizing Spencer and Winston hurt your argument, well not really since it was so transparent.

Quote:
And that is exactly the point Vinny. You can say the same thing bout first round QBs.
Does that mean you shouldn't, out of hand, never select a QB in the first round ?
The point isn't to never draft OL because they have busts, but to only draft players you think have the most talent/potential and not force a single position and increasing the risk of a bust as you advocate every year.
Old 02-12-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And I agree.

Nothing else works.

Not the playmakers, not the QB, not the Running back.Not the safties. You Tell me Gibbs is the savior of the o-line...prove it. Even coach Gibbs, as good as he is, has to have a starting point in tallent.

The safty pick tells me the Glen Earl experiment is over.
Is there a LT availaible at #18 that will be worth that pick? Nope, IMO. Will Kubes want to re-sign Von Hutchins and hope? Will he go CB in first and save that cap? He could then go LT in 3rd (maybe Cousins orTony Hill) and we could see how great Gibbs and Oline coach really are. Personally, I see Salaam as the starter anyway. Then an RB in 4th such as Patrick Allen from Oklahoma? 6'1" 195 4.45 but not sure if he shows up 100%. Maybe a Cory Boyd?

A trade down offer will be there but will Smith acceptthe offer? If it were me, barring a sweet heart trade, I'd go 1st: Stewart rb 3rd Tony Hill ZBS LT deluxe 4th:Trae Williams cb 5'10" 193 lbs 5th: Darnell Terrell 6'2" 200 lbs 4.43 This cat can play both CB and FS.http://mutigers.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...darnell00.html
http://stl.scout.com/a.z?s=124&p=8&c=1&nid=3159672
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=61433Shows FS as #2 position
Old 02-12-2008   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Exactly. This guy seems to not be in touch with the situation. I would love to get an OT prospect but we need a CB or even a playmaking FS much more than we need a prospect OT this year. Maybe Tony Hills will be around in the 3rd Round and we can draft him. I just don't think there is an OT out there, other than Baker, that will still be around at #18 that would be a good value. I don't even want Clady at #18 and I hear he could be gone as early as New England's pick. We need DBs. I think Phillips and to a lesser extent Cason would give us good value at #18. Just my opinion but our secondary needs help and it needs help now.
So far, Kubes has not agreed with you that FS is that important.
Old 02-12-2008   #17
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Oooh, three whole picks and look at the horrible talent they picked up--Mario, DeMeco and Omobi--two of who are fulfilling the building from the trenches motto.

Nice how you framed that as only the 1st two rounds since recognizing Spencer and Winston hurt your argument, well not really since it was so transparent.

The point isn't to never draft OL because they have busts, but to only draft players you think have the most talent/potential and not force a single position and increasing the risk of a bust as you advocate every year.
Twenty six gmes and counting.... tick tock. Kick Winston over there...Frye. lol...Chester Pitts? Jordan Black...or Butler. Tell me another one.

the facts are and they have been posted several times.....play off teams feature high round picks on the left side. Not third rounders...not fifth rounders, but guys drafted in the first two rounds. We have zero of those guys. And... have never ever done it.

Satisfied with the results are you cak ?
Can you miss on them ?..uh huh....can you live without them and make serious SB run....nope.

The very moment the Texans break their trends, that will be the first step to the Sb run. Not before.

Old 02-12-2008   #18
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
I honestly think we go after randal gay or similar FA for CB. regardless of when Dunta returns we need another corner anyway. Im guessing CB and LB in FA and OL, RB and safety in the draft, unless a pass rush specialist is available.
Old 02-12-2008   #19
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Prety damn convient if you ask me. Everytime you switch QBs...you set the franchise back five years. This is year three removed FHHSNBN. And they have drafted exacatly zero offensive lineman in the first two rounds since that time. Tallent matters. And switching QBs every five years is .... very expensive.
lol.. thats old age for you.. check your calendar man- DC was a still a texan 11 months ago
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #20
Polo

Quote:
The very moment the Texans break their trends, that will be the first step to the Sb run. Not before.

I don't see how you can talk in absolutes like that.

I can see the argument that picking a LT in the first makes positive scenario's more likely, but to suggest that is the only road available is just innaccurate.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read