Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2004   #21
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 56442 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Why were the Texans running plays to begin with?? Couldn't they have run the clock out with 1:42 to go and no Titan timeouts left??

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #22
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

na tennesse had one timeout left,,,they would of had like 20 sec or so left to work with !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #23
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

OK, let's go over the scenario if DD hadn't scored (Titans used their final timeout on previous play) .

1:42 2nd & 7 - Davis 3 yard run (rather than TD) – 0:05 to run play + 0:05 to spot ball + 0:39 until next snap
0:53 3rd & 4 - Davis 1 yard run - 0:05 to run play + 0:05 to spot ball + 0:39 until next snap
0:04 4th & 3 – Carr (-)10 yard run – time expires

The Titans never get the ball back.
Old 11-29-2004   #24
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
OK, let's go over the scenario if DD hadn't scored (Titans used their final timeout on previous play) .

1:42 2nd & 7 - Davis 3 yard run (rather than TD) – 0:05 to run play + 0:05 to spot ball + 0:39 until next snap
0:53 3rd & 4 - Davis 1 yard run - 0:05 to run play + 0:05 to spot ball + 0:39 until next snap
0:04 4th & 3 – Carr (-)10 yard run – time expires

The Titans never get the ball back.

u see how fast we ran that next play ? we didnt even let the play clock get close to running all the way down !
Old 11-29-2004   #25
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

There were some real bad clock management issues in that game on the Texans' coaches part. Remember the 4th down thing where David kept looking at the sidelines?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #26
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I really think that coaches should hire someone to be their clock and timeout advisor. I've thought that for a while. Mike Martz is the guy who should start that.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #27
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Another thing to take into consideration is that the Texans could have killed that T.O. the Titans had left by D.D. kneeling down at the one yard line with "class" since the Texans were up. Kneeling it from there on out would have given the Texans a chance to kill the clock for the remainder of regulation.
Old 11-29-2004   #28
Ibar_Harry
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Ibar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVPIbar_Harry was voted MVP

Game management as a whole has been a big problem for these coaches. You see the same situations over and over again and it makes you wonder. Many say the same thing regarding challenges. Actually I thought we won in part, because for once Tennesse mismanaged their time as well. They ran a number of runs at the end which ate up clock instead of passing the ball. They had a lot of game management problems at the 2:00 minute mark and I think McNair forced the ball as a result. They only had 1 timeout at that point. They wanted to keep the one time out to get their field goal unit on the field. We were able to kill about 4 minutes off of the clock in our last possession starting around the 10 minute mark. While that wasn't great we were able to get an assist from Tennesse as they used the run and we got the intereception. Again we won the game and the players tried hard, but I think there was an element of luck in winning this game. But as they say in golf, better lucky than good. May the good lord bring the TEXANS a wheel barrow full of luck.
Ibar_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #29
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

i think the texans see how other teams run up the score on us so thats why they went ahead and scored, they are tired of getting kicked around !
Old 11-29-2004   #30
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

I wouldn't even call that running up the score. It was still a fairly close game up until the touchdown, if there's a free shot at 7 with the game in question at all then the smart team takes it.

That's a lot different than chucking bombs while up by 30 something.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #31
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82056 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

The purpose of NOT scoring the touchdown on that play doesn't have anything to do with NOT running up the score. The purpose was to to take a knee after getting a first down, so they could run out the clock without giving them the ball back. Capers said that would have been the smart thing for DD to do, although he could understand how hard it would have been for him to not score after running thru the hole.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #32
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 259612 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure Davis could have stopped at the 1 and the Texans should have eaten clock the rest of the game taking a knee and getting a 24-21 win. That's probably how they'd do it if they had to do it over again I'm sure. I accept Davis' explanation though and believe him when he says that he saw a hole so big he couldn't fail to run through it and he went in the endzone without thinking about anything other than "Wow that was a big hole" (approx. He said something to that effect).

Here's a guy who's been in a slump all season long and who's having a very down year compared to what he wanted to do. You give DD a 41 yard clear path to the endzone right now and that's like holding out a Turkey leg to a starving man. One of those big ol' Ren Fair turkey legs you can barely get your hand around. He's gonna grab it without thinking and that's exactly what Davis did.

If this 129 yard day and the touchdown helps get Davis out of first gear for the rest of the season then it was worth whatever ill will it might bring from those who think it was classless. If the Titans left him a hole to run through to get the ball back then same thing. I just want to see Davis get his confidence back again no matter how it happens.
Old 11-29-2004   #33
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure maybe running out the clock the rest of the way would have been better, but I will never fault a team for going up by two scores when theres still 1:30 left. I don't even think this should really be an issue. And Hervoyel is right, if this helps Davis regain some confidence and trust in his line then I'm all for it.

Old 11-29-2004   #34
profan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTexans08
Another thing to take into consideration is that the Texans could have killed that T.O. the Titans had left by D.D. kneeling down at the one yard line with "class" since the Texans were up. Kneeling it from there on out would have given the Texans a chance to kill the clock for the remainder of regulation.
Capers indicated on his radio show today that the running backs are instructed to take a knee after getting the first down in these situations, so the clock can run out without giving the opp. another chance to score and then on-side kick. I think DD forgot about that and i cant really blame him as he has not seen that much daylight all year.
profan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #35
Dhedluk
Rookie

First off, why is it so hard for some of you to belive that DD and the Texans were doing something right? Call it what ever you want. Team work, luck, good coaching or whatever. We have a good team and they've proven that they are able to beat any team they're up against. I love it when the announcers start saying "the Texans have never done this or that" because that's when they do the unexpected and WIN.

Secondly, with the NFL Tiebreaking Procedures I don't blame any team for "running up the score" especially with the AFC in close standings this year. It would really suck to hear that your team lost out on the division title or the playoffs because they were out played by another team.
Dhedluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #36
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhedluk
First off, why is it so hard for some of you to belive that DD and the Texans were doing something right? Call it what ever you want. Team work, luck, good coaching or whatever. We have a good team and they've proven that they are able to beat any team they're up against. I love it when the announcers start saying "the Texans have never done this or that" because that's when they do the unexpected and WIN.

Secondly, with the NFL Tiebreaking Procedures I don't blame any team for "running up the score" especially with the AFC in close standings this year. It would really suck to hear that your team lost out on the division title or the playoffs because they were out played by another team.

lol i remember when we played the patriots last season and the announcer said the texans have never blocked a field goal, and if the pats made it they would have won the game, and we blocked it,,,it was funny !
Old 11-29-2004   #37
Mistril48
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by profan
Capers indicated on his radio show today that the running backs are instructed to take a knee after getting the first down in these situations, so the clock can run out without giving the opp. another chance to score and then on-side kick...
While I understand DDs motivation, I would add two points:

a) the same thing happened with Petey (Faggins) in the Jags game. He could have made the interception and stepped out of bounds, to prevent a fumble and another change of possession (clock stops on the change of possession anyway). That would have ended the game with the victory formation for the Texans, without Leftwich getting the ball; and

b) if DD had taken a knee (or Petey) there would not have been any more live action (ordinarily, the victory formation is very tame). What if a starting defender tears up a knee during the live action after DD,or Petey scores? This would be a HOT issue then!
Mistril48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #38
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

And what if DD takes the time to stop, tries to kneel, gets hammered, fumbles, and the Titans run it back to win the game? I didn't see the run, but I'm just putting up a "what if" scenario.

Going up just 2 scores, call it wrong or classless or unethical or whatever, but I would never call it "running up the score".

What Faggins and Davis did is part of the game and is nothing compared to the "quick snap-catch em off guard" **** that buckethead was trying to pull off while up by 30.

Old 11-30-2004   #39
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 73110 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
And what if DD takes the time to stop, tries to kneel, gets hammered, fumbles, and the Titans run it back to win the game?

Actually, I do think a guy with the ball in his possession should always try to score, in a general sense (I mean, have some faith in your D), but I would've been real proud of DD if he had tripped on his own feet and stopped at the one yard line.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #40
Tayton
Veteran

There isn't a back in the league who doesn't take that to the house and make it a 2 score lead.
Tayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read