Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-11-2008   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Andre Davis - Target for the Jags (JagNation.com)

http://jac.scout.com/2/728181.html

By Charlie Bernstein
Editor-in-Chief, JagNation.com
Date: Feb 10, 2008

Quote:
If the Jaguars intend to upgrade their wide receiving corps with some more “second tier” type of talent, a player that’s currently available is one that the Jaguars and their fans saw twice last season and made an impact. That receiver is of course the Houston Texans free agent, Andre Davis.
I don't have a subscription w/ them and this is all they would give us.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 129709 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Davis - Target for the Jags (JagNation.com)

if they signed him they wouldn't worry about him running 2 KO's back on them in one game

I think Smith will have something to say about that unless the price goes through the roof
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #3
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

No one will be surprised that Davis will draw interest. As an unrestricted FA, SMith may not get a chance to match.
Old 02-11-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post

I don't have a subscription w/ them and this is all they would give us.
Basically, he says that Davis is attractive for the Jags because he a) is a deep threat, b) can return kicks, & c) is "affordable". If the Jags were to sign Davis, Dennis Northcutt & Matt Jones would become expendable.

Stealing Davis from a division rival would be a real coup for the Jags. It wouldn't surprise me if the Titans made a run a Davis, as well. I'm wondering just how "affordable" Davis will be?
Old 02-11-2008   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

There's two ways this can hurt the Texans. One is that he is signed by a Division opponent. Two is if Davis' value is virtually inflated by leaks from rival suitors, causing the Texans to spend even more to keep him. If I was Fisher or DelRio, I'd play a litte game of poker with the Texans to see if they blink at an 'offer-in-principle' or some other non-binding tactic. Davis' agent would be all over anything that gets him and his client more money. Hopefully Smith and Kubiak keep their cool and stay within the range that I'm sure they've already discussed with Davis.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj. View Post
There's two ways this can hurt the Texans. One is that he is signed by a Division opponent. Two is if Davis' value is virtually inflated by leaks from rival suitors, causing the Texans to spend even more to keep him. If I was Fisher or DelRio, I'd play a litte game of poker with the Texans to see if they blink at an 'offer-in-principle' or some other non-binding tactic. Davis' agent would be all over anything that gets him and his client more money. Hopefully Smith and Kubiak keep their cool and stay within the range that I'm sure they've already discussed with Davis.
Exactly. I just don't see Smith panic and offer too much. AJ, Walters, JJ and TE Daniels offer a stable of good guys. Davis would be a great addition but at the right price. Hopefully, loyalty will figure in to his decision.
Old 02-11-2008   #7
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Andre Davis had his best year in the league here last year, I think he will stay here and see if he can fit himself into a starting #2 WR. He obviously fits our system, and he found himself a spot on special teams. Unless he gets a seriously upgraded offer from what the Texans offer him, I doubt he moves.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2008   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Of course the Jags are interested in Davis. The Jags just need to start forming a line for potential suitors because its gonna be pretty thick.

I will say that if the Jags and Titans become involved in the bidding, I wouldn't mind the Texans trying to drive the bidding up then dropping out. He had a great year but if he gets top money (which is possible due to his dual threat on ST and WR) then I would hope the Texans would abstain and spend their money with more value elsewhere, all after driving up the bidding on Andre Davis so TN and JVille have less $$ to play with.
Old 02-11-2008   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Basically, he says that Davis is attractive for the Jags because he a) is a deep threat, b) can return kicks, & c) is "affordable". If the Jags were to sign Davis, Dennis Northcutt & Matt Jones would become expendable.

Stealing Davis from a division rival would be a real coup for the Jags. It wouldn't surprise me if the Titans made a run a Davis, as well. I'm wondering just how "affordable" Davis will be?
All they would need is Kevin Johnson and they would have the Browns v.2 receiving corp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

As well as AD played for us and as much as I'd love to have him back he's nothing exceptional and not worth a lengthy or hefty contract. Given that we have Jacoby Jones, who is a similar type player, I'd hope that we don't let our divisional opponents goad us into overpaying for him. I know he is one of our top priorities to re-sign but let's hope that doesn't mean we value what he brings to the table more than it's worth.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 168146 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

One more thing I would like to add; I like JJ but until he can do it in the regular season the guy is all potential. Davis has been all product for us this year. For a reasonable price he should be back. He should be around until JJ can capitolize on his potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #12
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I loved what he did and hope that we sign him back, but I mean we were talking about taking haynesworth from the titans, this stuff happens. Our coaches/Gm are good enough to replace guys and find some talent, so ill be sad if he leaves, but he knows what hes leaving behind in the Texans and i dont think he'll do that.....

Is today the first day we can talk to players????

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #13
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
As well as AD played for us and as much as I'd love to have him back he's nothing exceptional and not worth a lengthy or hefty contract. Given that we have Jacoby Jones, who is a similar type player, I'd hope that we don't let our divisional opponents goad us into overpaying for him. I know he is one of our top priorities to re-sign but let's hope that doesn't mean we value what he brings to the table more than it's worth.
/agree
Old 02-11-2008   #14
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
One more thing I would like to add; I like JJ but until he can do it in the regular season the guy is all potential. Davis has been all product for us this year. For a reasonable price he should be back. He should be around until JJ can capitolize on his potential.
he did have a 73? yd return v indy
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
he did have a 73? yd return v indy
But that doesn't mean he can play WR.

Davis is a playmaking WR, his return skills are just a bonus.

We need Davis to play WR for us, and I agree with PapaL Jones needs to show us he can be a playmaking WR before we can put him into that starting role.

About Davis, we need to keep this guy from going to a rival. Without Davis our WR corps isn't really a strength on the team anymore.
Old 02-11-2008   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Davis is a playmaking WR, his return skills are just a bonus.
No, his value on the Texans is as a kick returner and an insurance policy. In the 9 games that Andre Johnson started, Davis caught 10 passes for 142 yards. I'm pretty sure Jacoby Jones could take up that slack.

I think good returners have value. And if they can make plays at WR, that's just a bonus. But if there's a team out there (like the Jags) who want Davis as their #2 WR, they will offer more money than the Texans will. One thing to remember is that the Texans found Davis as a bargain basement free agent. It's certainly possible the Texans can find another one.
Old 02-11-2008   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
No, his value on the Texans is as a kick returner and an insurance policy. In the 9 games that Andre Johnson started, Davis caught 10 passes for 142 yards. I'm pretty sure Jacoby Jones could take up that slack.
Take up the 142 receiving yards? Jacoby had something like 15 catches this year for like 150 yards. He needs to show me alot more before I think he can catch 10 passes for 142 yards in a game. I think Jacoby can pick up the slack that AD leaves on special teams. He is going to have to do alot more work to pick up that slack on offense at WR.
Old 02-11-2008   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I think good returners have value. And if they can make plays at WR, that's just a bonus. But if there's a team out there (like the Jags) who want Davis as their #2 WR, they will offer more money than the Texans will. One thing to remember is that the Texans found Davis as a bargain basement free agent. It's certainly possible the Texans can find another one.
It is also possible that last season was the exception. Hate to sign for lotsa bucks and 2007 was the high point of his career. It will be a gamble either way.
Old 02-11-2008   #19
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I loved what he did and hope that we sign him back, but I mean we were talking about taking haynesworth from the titans, this stuff happens. Our coaches/Gm are good enough to replace guys and find some talent, so ill be sad if he leaves, but he knows what hes leaving behind in the Texans and i dont think he'll do that.....

Is today the first day we can talk to players????
bump

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #20
Polo

I think Davis' value lies in what he brings to the table as a whole.

He's a threat at kick returns, and he is a threat on deep balls.

Jacksonville would be crazy to sign him as their #2 because that's not his game. What happens if your number 1 goes down ? Is he capable of being THE guy ?

On the Texans it works because we have a lot of other guys that stepped up when AJ went out. We have other guys that can return kicks. We have other guys that can catch ball over the middle. We have other WR's that can do things in the backfield. We have other guys who can body up smaller defensive backs.

Davis is limited in what he can do as a reciever.

Going to another team where more of a spotlight will be on him won't be good IMHO.

First of all, he's limited as a reciever. He's a deep ball guy and really not much else. I don't see him as the type of guy that can run every route and do the different things you'd want a starting wideout to do. Kevin Walter is a much more complete WR...Much more....

He may not have his speed and quickness, but he has him beat every place else.

I like Andre a lot and I think he'll come back, but if he decides to leave I wouldn't cry two tears in a bucket. Andre is a very, very nice supplement to a team that alreay has talent at the reciever position. If J-ville or the inbreds want him as their #1 or #2 I'd be inclined to let him walk just for sabotage purposes.

Last edited by Polo; 02-11-2008 at 03:08 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read