Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-10-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL May Change Tune With Radio for Defense

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020803603.html

Quote:
The NFL's reaction to the spying scandal involving the New England Patriots will include a renewed push this offseason to persuade owners to approve a proposal that would allow one defensive player per team to be connected to a coach on the sideline during games via a wireless communication device, officials said.

The rule would put offenses and defenses on an even footing because each quarterback already is outfitted with a helmet receiver connecting him to a coach during games. It would eliminate the need for coaches to signal in defensive plays from the sideline and, thus, eliminate the possibility of those signals being stolen by an opponent.

The proposal would have to be approved by 24 of the 32 owners to be enacted next season, and likely will be recommended by the NFL's competition committee and put to a vote at the annual league meeting that begins March 30 in Palm Beach, Fla.

"It's safe to say you will see some sort of proposal, yes," said Atlanta Falcons President Rich McKay, the co-chairman of the competition committee.

The proposal fell two votes shy of being ratified by the owners last March, and McKay said he's optimistic that it will be approved this time.

"I hope so," McKay said by telephone from Atlanta. "I would hope we would get it without just that [the spying scandal] being the impetus. We tried in the past to get it passed, and we got close. We were two or three votes away the last couple years. I hope now it gets passed."
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL May Change Tune With Radio for Defense

Seems reasonable to me that the offense and defense would have the same technology available to them and in the same amount.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #3
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Seems reasonable to me that the offense and defense would have the same technology available to them and in the same amount.
No, because then the offense wouldn't have an advantage.

Let's face it. The average fan buys tickets to see points. That's why so many rules are skewed to the offense.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #4
Joe Texan
Inducted 04

Section: 116 row a seat 20
Rep Power: 4091 Joe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedJoe Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Great Idea, And Suspend Bellecheat for a season without pay
Old 02-11-2008   #5
Polo

I don't have a preference about this.

But one thing I walways wanted to know is how do these ear pieces work ?

Can the player still hear in his ear piece during a play ?
Old 02-11-2008   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
I don't have a preference about this.

But one thing I walways wanted to know is how do these ear pieces work ?

Can the player still hear in his ear piece during a play ?
No. There is an NFL official with a button that he hits which interrupts the system at some point in the play clock--don't remember exactly when they cut it off.
Old 02-11-2008   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 104409 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
No. There is an NFL official with a button that he hits which interrupts the system at some point in the play clock--don't remember exactly when they cut it off.
I thought it was something like 15 seconds after the previous play. Or maybe it was 15 seconds after the start of the play clock?
Old 02-11-2008   #8
Polo

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-11-2008   #9
Polo

I think it's going to change up the exchange between defense and coaching staff, but I think they'll figure it out...

I think the secondary will probably have to get their calls from the sideline still though...
Old 02-11-2008   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 80847 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
LOL, I always wondered why a coach never yelled at his QB to get out of the way when he was about to be blindsided. "DUDE, GET OUT OF THE POCKET, YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE BLINDSIDED!"
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #11
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
LOL, I always wondered why a coach never yelled at his QB to get out of the way when he was about to be blindsided. "DUDE, GET OUT OF THE POCKET, YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE BLINDSIDED!"
LOL!
Old 02-11-2008   #12
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I thought it was something like 15 seconds after the previous play. Or maybe it was 15 seconds after the start of the play clock?
Officially, it's when 15 seconds remain on the play clock. (you guys got me curiou and I went & looked it up)
Old 02-11-2008   #13
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Officially, it's when 15 seconds remain on the play clock. (you guys got me curiou and I went & looked it up)
Just curious, but did you happen to read at what point they activate it ?
Old 02-11-2008   #14
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 112924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

At the end of the play it is turned back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Rule: Defense gets "QB" Helmet

Looks like Demeco will have a green dot on the back of his helmet!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7977184?MSNHPHMA

Quote:
One defensive player will wear a helmet similar to what the quarterback is allowed on offense. Should that player leave the game, another player can be designated to also have the device. But only one defender with the device can be on the field at a time.

"We are talking about a three-down player, perhaps a linebacker who doesn't come off the field," added Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher, the other co-chairman of the committee that recommended instituting the device.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #16
Polo

Default Re: NFL Rule: Defense gets "QB" Helmet

Aren't two players on defense getting it...

Guess I should read the link...
Old 04-01-2008   #17
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

It's official: Defenses will get radio helmets.

Quote:
In a separate move, the competition committee picked up three more votes this year and passed the "coach-to-defense" signal-calling system 25-7.

Defensive coaches now will have the ability to put radio speakers in two helmets, but only one of those helmets will be allowed on the field on a given play.

"We want to safeguard against a situation with two players on the field at the same time with the helmet communication," said Atlanta Falcons president and competition committee co-chairman Rich McKay.

Dallas Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said passing this measure a year ago might have prevented the recent Spygate controversy from happening.

"They were filming signals," Phillips said of the Patriots. "If you didn't have any signals, it wouldn't have happened. I'm just happy to get something passed. That way you don't have to worry about it. People were putting towels up in front of people. You shouldn't have to play football that way."

New England coach Bill Belichick voted for the proposal.
Old 04-01-2008   #18
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 72750 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's official: New England coach Bill Belichick voted for the proposal.
That way he can cheat in real time...

Last edited by infantrycak; 04-01-2008 at 07:48 PM.
kiwitexansfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008   #19
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"They were filming signals," Phillips said of the Patriots. "If you didn't have any signals, it wouldn't have happened."
or if some coaches just had some integrity

anyways....i'm glad it passed
Old 04-01-2008   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't remember seeing the following situation addressed in the above articles........maybe I just missed it. But, if both designated defensive helmet players are knocked out of the game, the helmet cannot be passed to a third player. The team must revert solely to the use of hand signals
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read