Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-09-2008   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Food for thought as we wait for draft day

http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogtexans...irstround.html

I found this pretty interesting. Hindsight being what it is, it's easy to wonder just what some teams were thinking when they drafted a certain player at a particular spot.
Looking at this information, would you change your mind on drafting a particular player/position in this years draft, feel that YOUR ideal pick for our 1st round spot is the best player or simply hope we draft the BPA?
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #2
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Food for thought as we wait for draft day

I think that we have missed on only 2 players in round #1 David Carr & Jason Babin the rest have worked out well and it looked like david carr was going to work out but I think all of the hits took a a toll.
Old 02-09-2008   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Four Players:

Babin
Carr
Gaffney
Hollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #4
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I think that we have missed on only 2 players in round #1 David Carr & Jason Babin the rest have worked out well and it looked like david carr was going to work out but I think all of the hits took a a toll.
Travis Johnson too, IMO
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #5
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought this was interesting

Quote:
Word out of Falcon's headquarters, as published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, is that they are seriously wanting to make roster cuts on some of their high-priced players. Among the players that will just be cut loose if that's the direction owner Arthur Blank decides to go in are: RB Warrick Dunn, LB Keith Brooking, WR Joe Horn, OT Wayne Gandy, DT Rod Coleman and TE Alge Crumpler could all be looking for a new team very soon. The Falcons are wanting to free up at least $23 million in salary-cap space. He's going to ask his top players to take a pay cut, but it's unlikely they will and so they will all be standing in the unemployment line waiting for a team to call.
I wonder if the Texans would have interest in any of those players. Rod Coleman would seem like he could compete for a starting job. And I'd love to get Alge Crumpler. I know we have Owen Daniels, but imagine if we could line up two good receiving tight ends? Probably not that realistic, but I can dream!

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post

I wonder if the Texans would have interest in any of those players. Rod Coleman would seem like he could compete for a starting job. And I'd love to get Alge Crumpler. I know we have Owen Daniels, but imagine if we could line up two good receiving tight ends? Probably not that realistic, but I can dream!
I'd rather have Keith Brooking.

I think he has played all 3 LB positions in his career.
Old 02-09-2008   #7
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:

Isn't Wayne Gandy a ZBS OT? and didn't he work with Gibbs in the ATL? You think he might wanna come work with him again?

Would love to have Alge and Brooking, too. AFC would be completely stacked at TE. XD
Old 02-09-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

2002: Julius Peppers DE
2003: Andre Johnson WR
2004: Dunta Robinson CB
2005: Jammal Brown LT
2006: Mario Williams DE
2007: Too soon to tell (Either Amobi or Patrick Willis)
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #9
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Keith Brooking would look GREAT in a Texans Uni.

I like Owen but..... Crumpler > Daneils
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008   #10
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Isn't Wayne Gandy a ZBS OT? and didn't he work with Gibbs in the ATL? You think he might wanna come work with him again?
I think the Texans will probably have some interest but he turns 37 tomorrow. He'd be nice as a backup but I don't think he's a starter anymore.

Thanks to Premier
Old 02-09-2008   #11
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
The hits he took is because he held on to the ball too long. So in essence, he was bad from the get go and not becasue of the hits.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #12
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

Not last season.

Looks like Crumpler needs a running QB to be successful. With Vick, he was the first read on every pass play.

But with a pocket passer, he is the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th read on most plays & he just cant stay open that long.
Old 02-10-2008   #13
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Not last season.

Looks like Crumpler needs a running QB to be successful. With Vick, he was the first read on every pass play.
I wonder how much his off year had to do with the Falcons having a bad team with multiple QBs starting during the season

Thanks to Premier
Old 02-10-2008   #14
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
I wonder how much his off year had to do with the Falcons having a bad team with multiple QBs starting during the season
Good point. Towards the middle of the season, he started to pick up the pace a little.
Old 02-10-2008   #15
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Obviously that was part of the reason.

But if you watched any Falcons games you would see how bad Crumpler looked.

He has to be the best receiver on that team, but he isnt even getting looked at.

Why is that? Because he could not get open on anything deeper than a quick route.
Old 02-10-2008   #16
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 115170 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not last season.

But with a pocket passer, he is the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th read on most plays & he just cant stay open that long.
At QB last year he had Redmen, Leftwich and Harrington aka The Three Amigos.

I think it's safe to say he needs an NFL QB to be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
At QB last year he had Redmen, Leftwich and Harrington aka The Three Amigos.

I think it's safe to say he needs an NFL QB to be successful.
LOL. He had Vick before those guys.
Old 02-11-2008   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post

You know as a toddler my uncle told me if I stuck my finger in the light socket, I'd get shocked. Hard head that I was....it took a couple of times getting zapped before his advise took.

Quit taking players on the backside hump of their careers. It doesn't work and the only thing they get you is into cap hell.
Old 02-11-2008   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Marginal article by a marginal bloger. Yeah the loss of twoes tends to come back and haunt you if the prospect you are chasing turns out to be sheeet. We got it.

The draft is an art not a science. You can be beguiled by the numbers and be wrong. Conversly you can be beguiled by the film and be wrong.

I think the worse thing the Falcons could do is take the QB with their first round pick. History says, at best, it is a fifty fifty propersition. And there is no doubt this year...Cornerback is the Texans greatest need. Even if it means they must sacrifice the guy they just spent two twoes on to get one.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-11-2008 at 09:01 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #20
Polo

Quote:
Why is that? Because he could not get open on anything deeper than a quick route.
That's not true.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read