Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-07-2008   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Denver fans didn't like Ray Rhodes?

I was chatting with a Denver fan on another forum and I didn't really like what he said about Ray Rhodes. He added some other things as well but this is what stuck out:

Date: 02/07/08 09:36 PM
6124 Total Posts Ignore User

TRJ, this is the same move Denver made before we hired Coyer. Rhodes was the DC here for two years I believe. I could not stand him as a coach. He was the defensive genius that came up with the idea of only rushing TWO guys at Rich Gannon while the Raiders made their little run in 01 and 02 I believe. Rich Gannon, I believe set a NFL record for most completions in a game on Monday night against Denver. He completed something crazy like 28 consecutive passes. [B]He got ran out of Denver after his second year here and we brought in Coyer. Be wary of Rhodes. If I were a Texan fan I would have liked to see them bring in someone known more for getting pressure, not having a complicated system, and letting his star players play. Ray Rhodes leaving Denver was a blessing.[/b] I can only hope he resumes his lackluster coaching in Houston.

Alex Gibbs is still the best pick up you guys have made in the last three years. He will single handedly make you one of the TOP rushing teams in the NFL. He is an extreme HARD ASS, and many of the players hate playing for him, but he gets the job done. It will be nice to have someone else getting shit for their team cut blocking on this forum because Gibbs is NOTORIOUS for telling his players to cut everyone. He created the zone system in Denver, and will help you guys out down there. Signing Alex Gibbs made me like the Texans even more than I did, and I secretly cheer for them anytime they do not play Denver because when Kubiak left about 9 assistants went with him. If you think your offense was talented before just wait and see what happens after Gibbs gets his hands on those players. Kasey Studdard is happy about them bringing Gibbs down there. I think they need to drop Ahman Green and try and get someone else in free agency of the draft because Gibbs will not put up with his style of running in his scheme. To many moves behind the LOS. Gibbs wants a one cut and up the field guy.

This is from mma.tv, I talk about football on a subforum over there, this guy is a diehard Denver fanatic.
Old 02-07-2008   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Denver fans didn't like Ray Rhodes?

Rhodes is just a secondary coach here in Houston. I think its a good hire.
Old 02-07-2008   #3
TCR
Rookie

All teams have disgruntled fans when it comes to players and coaches.Now I'm not saying he is one but I believe more strongly in Kubiak and Smith than I do in a fan on a message board.
TCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

As long as Rhodes isn't in charge of the defense, and is just helping I think we'll be allright. He's speaking from the experience of Rhodes as a DC. Think of we fired Smith, and then he was put in charge of some teams DL then we'd be saying that he was washed up and crappy too, even though he's not messing with the entire D anymore, just one unit of the D.
Old 02-08-2008   #5
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess im just worried that we're gonna continue to run the soft zone bend but dont break defense. I've also read Vinny say that this is the scheme Rhodes runs and that's what I was hoping we'd get away of in favor of a more attacking scheme.
Old 02-08-2008   #6
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 127674 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

this post worries me IF rhodes has a sizable contribution to our defensive gameplan. this game is about deffenses that can attack and that's something smith/kubiak dont seem to figure out until the 4th quarter of each game and that's several games into the season. pittsburgh, new england, philly, and now the giants ... one thing they all have in common is extreme amounts of pressure. if rhodes is going to philosophise a reactionary and prevent defense, we're taking a step backwards.

but then none of that matters if he's not involved in the gameplan. if ray rhodes is brought in as a teacher and monday through saturday coach he's going to be a major asset to our players with his experience and knowledge of the game. for now it looks like a great signing, but as with posts like these there are always reasons to be cautious about expectations.
Old 02-08-2008   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

To his credit, Ray Rhodes is an outstanding secondary coach. One of the biggest (If not the biggest) weakness on our team is the secondary. I think if Rhodes is worrying about the schemes the secondary is going to use then maybe that lets Smith concentrate on the front 7 more.

Hope?
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2008   #8
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 143924 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Not like our D was pressure packed before Rhodes. Why would that change now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #9
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

great hie IMO
Old 02-08-2008   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Not like our D was pressure packed before Rhodes. Why would that change now?
It will perpetuate it. I think the fact that a lauded defensive coach brought hope that our scheme would change for the better. But, from all indications, we have brought in a coach that will merely reinforce the soft defense that we were already running.

If this holds true, our only hope for consistent pressure on the quaterback is that we make significant improvement on the defensive line (in personel and results.)
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #11
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's see. Our corners are more zone type than bump and run (Guess I should say our corner)with the WR stride for stride. Our linebackers do not defense well against the pass nor shut down the running game. We had one guy on D line that pressured the QB and most fans think we don't even have DBs. Maybe a bend but don't break defense is what we will see for a while?
Old 02-08-2008   #12
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Let's see. Our corners are more zone type than bump and run (Guess I should say our corner)with the WR stride for stride. Our linebackers do not defense well against the pass nor shut down the running game. We had one guy on D line that pressured the QB and most fans think we don't even have DBs. Maybe a bend but don't break defense is what we will see for a while?
Interesting...so when looking for potential CB's to draft with our 1st rd pick, or draft in general, should we be looking for a guy that plays better in zone coverage than man on man?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #13
Polo

That Denver fan sounds like he knows what he's talkin about.

But personally I think Ray will have little to do with play calling.

I like what he said about Gibbs also.
Old 02-08-2008   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Interesting...so when looking for potential CB's to draft with our 1st rd pick, or draft in general, should we be looking for a guy that plays better in zone coverage than man on man?
I guess it is the competitiveness in me, I prefer a "glue" CB. I don't care much for the contact within five yards unless our guy is at the disadvantage. A bump can just as easy throw the CB off and most receivers today only need a half step to wave bye bye. I thought part of Philip Buchannan's problem was he went for INTs and was often out of position. It takes a special player to blanket a guy. Having said this, that type of player is rare. Even in our soft D, a shut down CB is worth a lot.

While playing volleyball in a swimming pool, I often chose to go against the best of the other team. Most people enjoyed slamming for points. I enjoyed being on defense and tapping of the ball to take it just out of reach. An INT is a change of possession but and incompleted pass is demoralizing.

Last edited by badboy; 02-08-2008 at 12:50 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #15
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Hold on a second.......let me check

-
-
-
Yep, I still think it is a great hire.
He's going to be focusin on the secondary, he's not the D.C. and who knows what circumstances caused him to coach they style he used in Denver. Ther personnel, the system, etc.
Old 02-09-2008   #16
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Rich Gannon, I believe set a NFL record for most completions in a game on Monday night against Denver. He completed something crazy like 28 consecutive passes.
Ah, but we as Houston fans know that the record for consecutive completions was set against us by the Redskins and then tied by he-who-shall-not-be-named later that season at 22 consecutive completions.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008   #17
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Does anyone know any examples of soft zone heavy teams that are known for pressuring the qb?
Old 02-10-2008   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 242285 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
Does anyone know any examples of soft zone heavy teams that are known for pressuring the qb?
This well-thought out article [Coming to the defense of the prevent - Insider: NFL] should address your questions and beyond concerning the relationship between the soft zone and QB pressure. Except in very exceptional cases (with exceptional personel), the two seem to be inversely related.

In my opinion, the most telling statement in the article is:

Quote:
"If you get yourself in a position to win, obviously you were doing something right the whole game," 49ers defensive coordinator Jim Mora Jr. says. "To go away from it doesn't make any sense to me."
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read