Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2008   #121
Ckw

Default Re: 08 Free Agent Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Brian Kelly just bought out his own contract to pursue free agency, nice size I would put him right at the top of my free agent list if I where Rick Smith

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/...-opts-out.html
Man he better be at the top of our free agent list
Old 02-16-2008   #122
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckw5814 View Post
Man he better be at the top of our free agent list

an old, injury-prone, decent cover 2 CB (jason david looked ok in indy too).. i cant see what you guys want him for
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #123
brickman
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 brickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVPbrickman was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I think Rick Smith & crew should keep doing what they have been doing. Finding guys like Danny Clark and Andre Davis. Guys who will play hard and give it their all without having to break the bank. Obviously we have huge holes in the secondary and the o-line and rb positions need improvement but I don't see us making a huge splash. I think we'll be primarily building through the draft which imo is the correct way to build a winning franchise for the long haul not just a quick fix.

Absolutley true! Very few free agents come in and make a real difference. Hutchison for the Vikings is an exception, but even that doesn't make you qa SB contender. This team needs some pieces to fill out the puzzle not just one piece. We have to remain patient and fill a few holes. Everybody that wants to sign the high profile free agents: just relax..... the front office has a plan.... we're going in the right direction.
brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #124
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

an old, injury-prone, decent cover 2 CB (jason david looked ok in indy too).. i cant see what you guys want him for
which judging by our recent FA history makes him a perfect canidate.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-18-2008 at 05:29 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #125
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27427 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
In a nutshell expect some new faces that are mild upgrades but nothing special. my projected top free agent aquisition is OLB Karlos Dansby. DE Justin Smith & WR D.J. Hackett or TE L.J. Smith.

OK
Well, with Dansby & L.J. Smith franchised you're down to just 2 choices left.

I like Justin Smith at DE, but would you consider giving up a 4th round pick for RFA Chris Canty? He's just 25 & appears to be over any lingering effects of his leg injury.

At OLB, I'm still interested in Landon Johnson & possibly Demorrio Williams.

At WR, I'd have to make a run at Bryant Johnson.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!
Hottoddie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008   #126
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

I understand where you are coming from but everyone said the same thing about Charles Woodson because of his injuries and look at him now. I like Brian kelly I can remember him coming out of USC he was good then and good now I just hope that the injury bug is over. He will come at a discount price as well so I think that he is worth signing to at least a managable 3 year deal and we can still go after another cornerback for a decent price like Drayton Florence.
Old 02-18-2008   #127
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I still see Trufant as the right choice. I'm undecided if Gay would be an asset. What was the outcome of his arm injury? Is NE willing to lose him and Samuel?
Old 02-18-2008   #128
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not worth a separate thread, but ESPN is reporting the Eagles are shopping Lito Shepard around.
Old 02-18-2008   #129
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Not worth a separate thread, but ESPN is reporting the Eagles are shopping Lito Shepard around.
If Lito Shepard isn't worth a seperate thread, who is?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #130
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 268617 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
GREAT CB when healthy........unfortunately, the latter should be a concern to us, evidently it is for the Eagles.

Quote:
NFL Network is reporting this afternoon that Eagles CB Lito Sheppard has been given permission to seek a trade/are shopping him. So far they seem to be the only source reporting this. If it gets corroborated, I'll be sure to post up a link.

This is an interesting development, but not necessarily a huge surprise. Pretty much anyone you read this offseason has the Eagles in the market for help in the secondary and one of the main reasons always cited is that fact that Lito can never stay healthy. There's no doubt that when he's healthy he's a great playmaker, but lately that hasn't been all that often. In the last 3 years, Lito has played 11,13, & 10 games respectively. Sheppard's cap number next year is $3.45 million and the Eagles would take a $2.9 million hit to trade him.

I must say, I hope this a sign on the part of the Eagles that injury prone players will simply no longer be tolerated. Injuries have frustrated me more than anything over the past several years and it always seems to be the same guys. Lito is clearly one of them. In fact, my favorite thing about the drafting of Kevin Kolb was that the guy started 4 years in college and never missed a game.

There's also been some talk, namely from Sal Palantonio, that the Eagles could be in the market for free agent CB Asante Samuel.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008   #131
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There's also been some talk, namely from Sal Palantonio, that the Eagles could be in the market for free agent CB Asante Samuel.
Look for a Cb in Phillies slot ? an eighty million dollar Cb, wow.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read