Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-11-2008   #101
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 08 Free Agent Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
For dummies.......what does that mean "Waiver process begins"? I would think simply waiving players from the team, but can't you cut someone anytime?
At the end of the season the rosters are frozen until today. Teams can still sign FA that where not on rosters, guy's like Chukky Okobi, LeRon McCoy, and Eric Powell.

Today is the day team also start cutting guys under contract they do not want to keep, guys like David Carr in Carolina.

Waiting until today does a few things, it starts the clock on the 2008 season, and it allows the league to celebrate the 2007 season, ie Pro Bowl. Now the list of FA available will grow due to the guys that are waived in the next week or so.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #102
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I know you meant Tony Hill. But what a Freudian slip linking these two.

The most logical scenario for the Texans to trade down would involve a team targeting a player the Eagles or maybe Bucs covet. Maybe a WR/KR like Cal's Desean Jackson could interest teams looking for a home run hitter. Maybe get the Titans and the Jags in a bidding war.
Just got off telephone with Hill's agent threatening me about bringing that type of Karma to his player. SHeesh.
Old 02-11-2008   #103
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
At the end of the season the rosters are frozen until today. Teams can still sign FA that where not on rosters, guy's like Chukky Okobi, LeRon McCoy, and Eric Powell.

Today is the day team also start cutting guys under contract they do not want to keep, guys like David Carr in Carolina.

Waiting until today does a few things, it starts the clock on the 2008 season, and it allows the league to celebrate the 2007 season, ie Pro Bowl. Now the list of FA available will grow due to the guys that are waived in the next week or so.
And Deshaun Foster, as of about 10am this morning on 1560. He would be an interesting guy to bring in.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #104
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000 View Post
And Deshaun Foster, as of about 10am this morning on 1560. He would be an interesting guy to bring in.
That sucks. I was hoping there was some way we could get DeAngelo Williams from the Panthers. I know Kubiak was high on him coming out of the draft.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #105
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
That sucks. I was hoping there was some way we could get DeAngelo Williams from the Panthers. I know Kubiak was high on him coming out of the draft.
Didn't Williams show up to camp that first year with a weight problem?
Old 02-11-2008   #106
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post

Thank you! Sounds good then, hopefully we see some big name corners, FS's, and RB's get cut! Hell, last year Joey Porter was cut! You never know...ehem, John Lynch
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #107
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Thank you! Sounds good then, hopefully we see some big name corners, FS's, and RB's get cut! Hell, last year Joey Porter was cut! You never know...ehem, John Lynch
Lynch is in the same league as Farve... given that QB, perhaps, ages a body faster but with the way Lynch plays he'd be a quick fix and i wouldn't trust him with a contract for more than 2 years.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-11-2008   #108
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Rick Smith & crew should keep doing what they have been doing. Finding guys like Danny Clark and Andre Davis. Guys who will play hard and give it their all without having to break the bank. Obviously we have huge holes in the secondary and the o-line and rb positions need improvement but I don't see us making a huge splash. I think we'll be primarily building through the draft which imo is the correct way to build a winning franchise for the long haul not just a quick fix.
Old 02-11-2008   #109
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I think Rick Smith & crew should keep doing what they have been doing. Finding guys like Danny Clark and Andre Davis. Guys who will play hard and give it their all without having to break the bank. Obviously we have huge holes in the secondary and the o-line and rb positions need improvement but I don't see us making a huge splash. I think we'll be primarily building through the draft which imo is the correct way to build a winning franchise for the long haul not just a quick fix.
Generally, I tend to agree with this way of approaching FA.

I would like to see us test the waters with some of these defensive FAs like Briggs, Dansby, and Samuel.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #110
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Panthers re-signed Travelle Wharton to a six-year contract.

does anyone still think the Texans will address this need via Free Agency?
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #111
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
I pretty much agree 100% on all accounts. Bring in guys that maybe aren't superstars but will start for us. Bring in talent > than we have at a fairly inexpensive price.

Build through the draft, selecting a combo of BPA/Need. Getting guys that fit our scheme and what we're doing.

Cap space is getting better but we're still a couple years from having it under control. We're going to have a lot of money to play around with in another 2 years when we have a lot of players we like for our team. Look at Schaub, Winston, Daniels, Johnson and possibly Jones on Offense. Mario, Amobi, Demeco, Bennett on Defense. There's 4 guys on each side of the ball that are basically franchise guys for us. We still have this years draft/FA which I think we'll add another 2 long-term starters for us at the minimum (that will also be starting next season).

Then we'll be having some of these OL picks pay off for us w/ Gibbs teaching them up into at least quality back ups.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #112
badboy
Site Contributor

I agree with you guys but we will have about $20 million to sign other free agents. Samuel may be out but Trufant may be attainable. Not spending cap $ for two years does not benefit the team although it does benefit McNair. A starting CB in his prime or an all pro LB? Yeah, buddy.
Old 02-14-2008   #113
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 45091 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

it's been very quiet so far
Old 02-14-2008   #114
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
it's been very quiet so far
I read on MB a few days ago that Andre Davis was reported to be close to signing with Houston. Any word?
Old 02-14-2008   #115
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Can we get a 15 day countdown?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #116
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

most teams do not let their Cbs and OLTs walk unless they are in cap hell.
I heard speculation that 'Zona is in the market for Faneca.

Wharton had the leverge in the fact that both of their tackles are FAs and they couldn't go into the draft with no one servicable on the edge.

Any Randal Gay news ?
Old 02-14-2008   #117
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I imagine they'll pick up fringe players and see if a TC competition will shore up the spot.
Old 02-15-2008   #118
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Well it looks like Titans DE Antwan Odom is going to hit the market with the Titans going to franchise Haynesworth.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....802140395/1027
Old 02-15-2008   #119
beerlover
Site Contributor

Brian Kelly just bought out his own contract to pursue free agency, nice size I would put him right at the top of my free agent list if I where Rick Smith

http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/...-opts-out.html

2012 Draft was Mercilus
Old 02-16-2008   #120
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

no way
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read