Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2008   #81
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 08 Free Agent Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Why? And why would Smith & Kubiak gamble next year's pick? What if injuries to AJ or Mario or DeMeco push the Texans up into the top 10? The Texans aren't one player (at the 28th pick in the draft) away from the Super Bowl. Dallas might be, that's why they'll keep the pick or try to move into the top 10.
Fair questions. I think Dallas wants a new RB to replace Jones. Barber runs as hard as any rb in NFL but takes a beating. Jones wants a name RB. Many have talked about him trading up for McFadden. I don't think he has enough to offer. I think he needs to get into top 4 or 5 and two low 1sts will not do it. Stewart is possible at #18 while Mendenhall may or may not be. He can get a CB in 2nd.

You don't draft this year on what you might have injured next year. Cowboys have #22 and #28 and could go Roy Jones @ either as Jones & Jones are both Arkansas players. I think if he could sign Stewart a possible franchise player, Jerry would be ecstatic.

You are correct, Texans are not one player away from SB, but we are not drafting for that. They are drafting to plug holes at RB, CB and LT especially. FA could effect that.
Old 02-08-2008   #82
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
...Marcus Trufant will not command that type of money he won't get over 30 million for his entire contract.
Trufant won't get $30 million guaranteed. There is a certain amount of fluff at the end of these contracts. But, Trufant will almost certainly get a similar looking contract to Clements'. Which will carry a high cap number for much of the contract.

Of course if you have information that contradicts my assertion, please share.
Old 02-08-2008   #83
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 140377 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I think the attitude of basically every GM and particularly this one is to entertain and even solicit trade offers. What actually gets presented on draft day is something we generally don't hear about unless the deal gets done. I think we will again see them try (we may not see the failures) to bring in several FA's to upgrade the positions of highest need so the draft picks have less pressure to start. We'll just have to see what they pull off in free agency.
Compare Dunte's injury and AJ's from early 2007 season. I think Robinson's was much more severe. Is that correct? He is going to be out much longer.
Old 02-08-2008   #84
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Compare Dunte's injury and AJ's from early 2007 season. I think Robinson's was much more severe. Is that correct? He is going to be out much longer.
Yes Robinson's is more severe. Not following how that responded to what I was saying.
Old 02-08-2008   #85
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Fair questions. I think Dallas wants a new RB to replace Jones.
But, why trade with Houston? Aren't there teams drafting ahead of the Texans that would take that deal? And isn't Houston one of the teams that could use a RB? If Dallas were so interested in moving up to get a RB, they would target a team that drafts ahead of the Texans.

Now, I don't believe the Cowboys will move up for a RB (except possibly McFadden). Dallas can find a backup RB in the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even 4th round of this draft. That's how deep it is at RB. With a team that has questions in the secondary, the offensive line, and maybe even WR, the Cowboys really can't afford to burn two 1st rounders on what would probably be a backup RB.
Old 02-08-2008   #86
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But, why trade with Houston? Aren't there teams drafting ahead of the Texans that would take that deal? And isn't Houston one of the teams that could use a RB? If Dallas were so interested in moving up to get a RB, they would target a team that drafts ahead of the Texans.

Now, I don't believe the Cowboys will move up for a RB (except possibly McFadden). Dallas can find a backup RB in the 2nd, 3rd, and maybe even 4th round of this draft. That's how deep it is at RB. With a team that has questions in the secondary, the offensive line, and maybe even WR, the Cowboys really can't afford to burn two 1st rounders on what would probably be a backup RB.
good point. I still see best value going WR and CB first...but this is Jerruh.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #87
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well, the contract that Clement got (8 years, $80 million, $22 million guaranteed) will be the starting point with Trufant. Do you really believe the Texans will make an offer like that? I can't see it.
I like Gay. Hurt his arm in the SB kinda opened the door for the miracle. Some one more savie than me is going to have to find the link. 'Cause I don't see where he's been reigned yet. Last news I see is from last year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2881585

We're not the only ones looking at him. Every board looking for reasonably priced veteran CBs has the guy listed.

http://www.kffl.com/static/nfl/featu...By+Team&y=2008

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-08-2008 at 09:06 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2008   #88
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I like Gay. Hurt his arm in the SB kinda opened the door for the miracle. Some one more savie than me is going to have to find the link. 'Cause I don't see where he's been reigned yet. Last news I see is from last year.
Miguel's Patriots cap page has Gay signed only thru 2007.
Old 02-08-2008   #89
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

All these FA CBs are going to be expensive relative to their value.

We are going to have to draft into the secondary to get favorable results.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Yes Robinson's is more severe. Not following how that responded to what I was saying.
No correlation to your comments but post 71 by Golden silence was talking about DR's injury. I think you had mentioned knowledge of DR's injury on another thread and I threw open to your input.
Old 02-08-2008   #91
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:

I understand your points and the draft would have to fall just right. I think Dallas would hope Mendenhall and Stewart drop to Houston, allowing one to fall past to 22. If only one is there at 18 Dallas might go for a trade as "last shot". It is a possiblity that I threw out for discussion. Doesn't hurt my feeling if no one thinks it will happen.

Yes, Houston needs an RB and my scenario would have them selecting Jamaal Charles and Tony Hollings. I am not sure I agree that there are strong RB candidates for later rounds. That comment will garner a few boos, I'm sure.
Old 02-08-2008   #92
Lucky

Quote:
Yes, Houston needs an RB and my scenario would have them selecting Jamaal Charles and Tony Hollings.
I know you meant Tony Hill. But what a Freudian slip linking these two.

The most logical scenario for the Texans to trade down would involve a team targeting a player the Eagles or maybe Bucs covet. Maybe a WR/KR like Cal's Desean Jackson could interest teams looking for a home run hitter. Maybe get the Titans and the Jags in a bidding war.
Old 02-08-2008   #93
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why? And why would Smith & Kubiak gamble next year's pick? What if injuries to AJ or Mario or DeMeco push the Texans up into the top 10? The Texans aren't one player (at the 28th pick in the draft) away from the Super Bowl.
im an advocate of trying to get extra picks this year by trading next yrs.. and obviously ^^ is the worst case scenario (trading a future top 10) but id take that chance for a few simple reasons..

1) with all the juniors declaring this year, its likely to be a much better quality draft than next years
2) like kubiak said getting from an 8 win team to a 10/11 win (playoff) team is the most difficult step which is why we need a nice influx of talent this year
3) who knows how long gibbs will be around? i say get our starting o-linemen in this year and let him start teaching them as soon as possible.. and with our DB deficiency, we'll need extra picks to cover all those bases
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #94
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Trading down is our best solution.

I don't see Jerry Jones picking up JStew, btw, he already has his power RB in Barber.

I would love to trade with Dallas though, we could get so many needs out of the way with that.
Old 02-08-2008   #95
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
All these FA CBs are going to be expensive relative to their value.

We are going to have to draft into the secondary to get favorable results.
I agree.
Old 02-11-2008   #96
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

should be hearing something starting this week in regards to our own-

http://www.houstontexans.com/communi...?story_id=4125
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #97
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

free agents Texans need to re-sign

Andre Davis
Will Demps
Von Hutchins
Danny Clark
Charlie Anderson
N.D. Kalu
Fred Weary
Matt Turk
Glen Earl

extend restricted free agents

C.C. Brown
Anthony Maddox
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #98
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Great post, but you used last years dates. these are the 2008 dates.
For dummies.......what does that mean "Waiver process begins"? I would think simply waiving players from the team, but can't you cut someone anytime?
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008   #99
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
free agents Texans need to re-sign

Will Demps
Von Hutchins
Glen Earl

extend restricted free agents

C.C. Brown
You would bring all of these guys back? I doubt more than a couple of these guys will be back with the team.
Old 02-11-2008   #100
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Trading down is our best solution.

I don't see Jerry Jones picking up JStew, btw, he already has his power RB in Barber.

I would love to trade with Dallas though, we could get so many needs out of the way with that.
FYI, Stewart has Daren McFadden type speed 4.48 to 4.42 and is 25 lbs heavier. Mendenhall and STewart are same height and speed @ 4.48 and again Mendenhall is 210 lbs. Stewart has that rare speed to get the ball up the field and power to pound when needed. I really hope he is there @ #18 and we select him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read