Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-08-2008   #61
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 08 Free Agent Market

Well it looks like the Raiders are going to Franchise Nnamdi Asomugha Oakland UFA so we won't have a shot at him.
Old 02-08-2008   #62
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Well it looks like the Raiders are going to Franchise Nnamdi Asomugha Oakland UFA so we won't have a shot at him.
Uh, oh. Down to Tufant? On re-signing Dunte, I think the Texans should wait as long as possible after he returns to verify his recovery. I am very tired of giving cap $ to injured players. If we came up with a starter in Bennett in 4th round, I can see Rick Smith doing his thing again.

Question, if a non starting QB restricted free agent was worth two 2nds to become our starter, would we attempt a trade for Asomugha?
Old 02-08-2008   #63
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Man, that sucks that we can't get him. In my mind, that was always the big reason he wouldn't come here, though.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #64
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Uh, oh. Down to Tufant? On re-signing Dunte, I think the Texans should wait as long as possible after he returns to verify his recovery. I am very tired of giving cap $ to injured players. If we came up with a starter in Bennett in 4th round, I can see Rick Smith doing his thing again.

Question, if a non starting QB restricted free agent was worth two 2nds to become our starter, would we attempt a trade for Asomugha?
If he's tagged. Hope you're willing to give like 2 firsts or something.

Looks more and more at this point we'll be looking at LBs,S, and maybe a second tier CB(My guess is Trufant could get tagged too). Other then Turner(who i'm still not that high on) I don't see any major FA RB.

I guess we'll see what Smith does but.... looks more and more towards CB in the first now.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 194239 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
If he's tagged. Hope you're willing to give like 2 firsts or something.

Looks more and more at this point we'll be looking at LBs,S, and maybe a second tier CB(My guess is Trufant could get tagged too). Other then Turner(who i'm still not that high on) I don't see any major FA RB.

I guess we'll see what Smith does but.... looks more and more towards CB in the first now.
I agree. But remember that the talk on Schaub was two firsts and Atlanta took less. Just saying. I like Asante Samuel but doubt Smith will go that high. At least, if we do not get a CB in FA, we can rectify that in draft. I'm just leery of Bennett and a rookie. Does this give FS Demps an advantage in his negotiations?

Needing a corner in draft would make a trade down more enticing.

How about a trade with Dallas for both 1s? They get our #18 and our 4th round this year + our #1 next year.

Texans go for a CB and either a LT or RB with two firsts and in 3rd the opposite LT or RB? We fill three major holes. I think Dallas would accept this.
Old 02-08-2008   #66
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't see the Texans relying on a rookie in what ever round going into next season at the CB position I think we will spend the money on a top corner and it depends on where Daunta is in recovery how much they will spend. I think if he is far off they will go after Asante Samuel if he is really close they will probably go after Drayton Florence or Trufant because based off what was reported on the NFL Network the seahawks will not franchise him.
Old 02-08-2008   #67
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. But remember that the talk on Schaub was two firsts and Atlanta took less. Just saying.
Schaub had a high RFA tender so it was a 1st and 3rd as the starting point.

Quote:
I like Asante Samuel but doubt Smith will go that high.
Samuel negotiated last year to not be tagged this year so there is no pick consideration for him, just a boatload of money.
Old 02-08-2008   #68
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Schaub had a high RFA tender so it was a 1st and 3rd as the starting point.

Samuel negotiated last year to not be tagged this year so there is no pick consideration for him, just a boatload of money.
Thanks for the correction. Did not mean to mis-speak but thought the 1st & 3rd was a come down from the two firsts. Icak, your thoughts on a possible trade? I just don't think the Texans will give up much but I agree with Pharoah that starting a rookie and a sophomore is risky. That being said, Bennett can hold his own and depends on whom we selected in draft I guess?
Old 02-08-2008   #69
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

How about a trade with Dallas for both 1s? They get our #18 and our 4th round this year + our #1 next year.

I think Dallas would accept this.
Why? And why would Smith & Kubiak gamble next year's pick? What if injuries to AJ or Mario or DeMeco push the Texans up into the top 10? The Texans aren't one player (at the 28th pick in the draft) away from the Super Bowl. Dallas might be, that's why they'll keep the pick or try to move into the top 10.
Old 02-08-2008   #70
PHAROAH
All Pro

Default Drayton Florence or Marcus Trufant

Ok guys we have to look at the CB free Agents that we think the texans will sign now that CB Asomugha, Nnamdi UFA Raiders will get the franchise tag who do you guys and gals think the texans will sign to contract and who will be the best fit for our defense?

I like Marcus Trufant and with Ray Rhodes coming over from the Seahawks I think that it will be an easy sell since he is on the staff plus it is our biggest need outside of Running back and the Safety position.
Old 02-08-2008   #71
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't see the Texans relying on a rookie in what ever round going into next season at the CB position I think we will spend the money on a top corner and it depends on where Daunta is in recovery how much they will spend. I think if he is far off they will go after Asante Samuel if he is really close they will probably go after Drayton Florence or Trufant because based off what was reported on the NFL Network the seahawks will not franchise him.
No way this team goes after Florence after the Schaub hit.

But I do agree on I don't think we'll be straight relying on A rookie and a Sophmore corner. Trufant will probably be the guy we'll target.

Dunta is a BIG question mark and I really hope he not only makes it back but is still at full speed.Guy has drive so i wouldn't under estimate anything he does. His injury really came ata bad time far as do we sign him to a long term extension like we smartly did with AJ. Prior to the injury it would've been an inmmediate yes.

My conern in going aftert a top flight corner is like San Fran last year spendinga boatload on Nate and still being sub par.
Old 02-08-2008   #72
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 413804 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Icak, your thoughts on a possible trade?
I think the attitude of basically every GM and particularly this one is to entertain and even solicit trade offers. What actually gets presented on draft day is something we generally don't hear about unless the deal gets done. I think we will again see them try (we may not see the failures) to bring in several FA's to upgrade the positions of highest need so the draft picks have less pressure to start. We'll just have to see what they pull off in free agency.
Old 02-08-2008   #73
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
No way this team goes after Florence after the Schaub hit.

But I do agree on I don't think we'll be straight relying on A rookie and a Sophmore corner. Trufant will probably be the guy we'll target.

Dunta is a BIG question mark and I really hope he not only makes it back but is still at full speed.Guy has drive so i wouldn't under estimate anything he does. His injury really came ata bad time far as do we sign him to a long term extension like we smartly did with AJ. Prior to the injury it would've been an inmmediate yes.

My conern in going aftert a top flight corner is like San Fran last year spendinga boatload on Nate and still being sub par.
I agree with you but we have to draft really good and not rely on one free agent signing. I think we sign at least one big free agent and the rest will be mid level guys but we need to bring in guys who are at the starting level.
Old 02-08-2008   #74
Lucky

Rep Power: 212249 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like Marcus Trufant and with Ray Rhodes coming over from the Seahawks I think that it will be an easy sell...
Quote:
Trufant will probably be the guy we'll target.

Well, the contract that Clement got (8 years, $80 million, $22 million guaranteed) will be the starting point with Trufant. Do you really believe the Texans will make an offer like that? I can't see it.
Old 02-08-2008   #75
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well, the contract that Clement got (8 years, $80 million, $22 million guaranteed) will be the starting point with Trufant. Do you really believe the Texans will make an offer like that? I can't see it.
No one will get the type of contract for a cornerback again unless they Deion Sanders type ability and I think that the owners see that so we all know Marcus Trufant will not command that type of money he won't get over 30 million for his entire contract.
Old 02-08-2008   #76
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
No one will get the type of contract for a cornerback again unless they Deion Sanders type ability and I think that the owners see that
Really, how?

Quote:
so we all know Marcus Trufant will not command that type of money he won't get over 30 million for his entire contract.
History doesn't really support that kind of number.

Safety Chris Hope--$30 mil contract in 2006
Aged CB Ty Law--$31.5 mil contact in 2006
Charles Woodson--$52.5 mil contract in 2006
Old 02-08-2008   #77
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Rick Smith has said (1) that he wants some DBs with size and (2) that they will not be spending an exobitant ammount of money.

Therefore, I would look for guys like Williams James from Philly or Randall Gay from NE.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #78
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Rick Smith has said (1) that he wants some DBs with size and (2) that they will not be spending an exobitant ammount of money.

Therefore, I would look for guys like Williams James from Philly or Randall Gay from NE.
I thought Randal Gay got his contract extended recently.
Old 02-08-2008   #79
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't know, if he did scratch him.

I just picked a couple guys off the FA lists that fit what we're looking for.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #80
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I thought he did to but I have not found it listed on any transaction page.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read