Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2008   #21
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 08 Free Agent Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I think the level of players you have listed are above what we will pay in free agency. I would look for us to add a corner like Drayton Florence, William James, or Randall Gay. We are supposed to be looking for bigger corners and these guys are all 5'11"-6'0" and very affordable. Also, at DE - with Weaver still onboard - I would look more at a Bobby McCray type addition than Justin Smith.

Rick Smith has said that he wants to build through the draft and supplement in free agency. Given that Ahman Green is the only big name addition we have seen in free agency, and the result of that, I would look for a whole lot of prudence in the offseason.
I have to disagree with you dispite what Smith stated because they have no choice but to spend money in Free Agency because they have to many holes to fill and it can't all come through the draft. I think they will go after a guy like Marcus Trufant or Nnamdi Asomugha becasue they have to go into the season knowing they have a corner that can take away the opponents top targets.

The injury to Daunta Robinson is a tough injury so they have to move foward thinking he won't be 100% but we have to sign a potential top or above average cover guy and get better safties in free agency as well and there will be some good players that will come at an affordable prices. I think if we cut guys who are over paid Like Anthony Weaver and Ahman Green who stole money this year in training camp that will free up more cap space to sign player who can come and be productive and get the rest through the draft.

Corner:

Asomugha, Nnamdi UFA Raiders - Top money
Florence, Drayton UFA Chargers - Mid Level money
Trufant, Marcus UFA Seahawks - Top to mid level money
Kelly, Brian UFA Buccaneers - May come cheap since he is 30 or 31 years old.
Gay, Randall UFA Patriots - Cheap Price
Fisher, Travis UFA Lions

Safety: All of these guys are very affordable instead binging back Boulware and Demps.

Wilson, Eugene UFA Patriots
Wilson, Gibril UFA Giants
Williams, Madieu UFA Bengals
Doss, Mike UFA Vikings
Coleman, Erik UFA Jets
Williams, Tank UFA Vikings

DE: Cut Anthony Weaver

Odom, Antwan UFA Titans
Thomas, Josh UFA Colts
McCracy, Bobby UFA Jaguars
McDougle, Jerome UFA Eagles
Brayton, Tyler UFA Raiders
Rucker, Mike UFA Panthers
Old 02-05-2008   #22
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree and Kubes has to get Dreesen on field to bring more TDs.
I concur! There is no way we need to even glance at another TE. OD, Dreesen, and Bruener or Putzier is all we need. We can draft one in the 6th if we must for depth purposes. Focus salary cap matters on bigger needs. That's what good front offices do, and we are building one great FO. Have some faith!

Green is NOT the last big free agent we bring in. I fully expect one Big name talent, or three "second tier" talents that will fill holes.

Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #23
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I have to disagree with you dispite what Smith stated because they have no choice but to spend money in Free Agency because they have to many holes to fill and it can't all come through the draft. I think they will go after a guy like Marcus Trufant or Nnamdi Asomugha becasue they have to go into the season knowing they have a corner that can take away the opponents top targets.

The injury to Daunta Robinson is a tough injury so they have to move foward thinking he won't be 100% but we have to sign a potential top or above average cover guy and get better safties in free agency as well and there will be some good players that will come at an affordable prices. I think if we cut guys who are over paid Like Anthony Weaver and Ahman Green who stole money this year in training camp that will free up more cap space to sign player who can come and be productive and get the rest through the draft.

Corner:

Asomugha, Nnamdi UFA Raiders - Top money
Florence, Drayton UFA Chargers - Mid Level money
Trufant, Marcus UFA Seahawks - Top to mid level money
Kelly, Brian UFA Buccaneers - May come cheap since he is 30 or 31 years old.
Gay, Randall UFA Patriots - Cheap Price
Fisher, Travis UFA Lions

Safety: All of these guys are very affordable instead binging back Boulware and Demps.

Wilson, Eugene UFA Patriots
Wilson, Gibril UFA Giants
Williams, Madieu UFA Bengals
Doss, Mike UFA Vikings
Coleman, Erik UFA Jets
Williams, Tank UFA Vikings

DE: Cut Anthony Weaver

Odom, Antwan UFA Titans
Thomas, Josh UFA Colts
McCracy, Bobby UFA Jaguars
McDougle, Jerome UFA Eagles
Brayton, Tyler UFA Raiders
Rucker, Mike UFA Panthers

I agree. With the type of 'D' we play, we can't go INTO the season without two talented corners. D-Rob won't be back in 2008, I am almost sure of it. We need a big name opposite Bennett, and resign Demps. Then we can concentrate on getting an OLB and Jeff Faine!! Then draft a 1st round LT which I'm sure Gibbs is pushing for, and we are one Bad@ss team!
Old 02-05-2008   #24
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

About LJ Smith...........they are reporting that the Eagles will Franchise him this year.

Link
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...?urn=nfl,64727
Old 02-05-2008   #25
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I'm all for Asomugha. He had an incredible number of interceptions in 2006. (Was rarely thrown against last season.) Bringing him in will increase the Texans turn-overs, which the Texans have said is one of their biggest priorities during the offseason. Bennett looked good, and I think he will hold his own, at least until Dunta returns. (JMO, Dunta will return.) This is a huge upgrade to the backfield, and the sort of move that could take the Texans from a mediocre team to a play-off team.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #26
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I'm all for Asomugha. He had an incredible number of interceptions in 2006. (Was rarely thrown against last season.) Bringing him in will increase the Texans turn-overs, which the Texans have said is one of their biggest priorities during the offseason. Bennett looked good, and I think he will hold his own, at least until Dunta returns. (JMO, Dunta will return.) This is a huge upgrade to the backfield, and the sort of move that could take the Texans from a mediocre team to a play-off team.
I hope that Daunta makes it back but we have to move foward like he won't be ready for the start of the season and if he make it back then that is a plus for us. I think we need not to pressure so fast and give him time to get back naturally so there won't be any setbacks.
Old 02-06-2008   #27
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I hope that Daunta makes it back but we have to move foward like he won't be ready for the start of the season and if he make it back then that is a plus for us. I think we need not to pressure so fast and give him time to get back naturally so there won't be any setbacks.
I agree with you. One of the problems the Texans have faced over Kubiak's term is a dependence on recovering players. The Texans can't win that way. So they need to look for a new number one cornerback.

That being said, everything I have read from and about Dunta has me convinced he will be back and playing, probably quicker than any of us expect. I don't think he would accept anything less than that from himself.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-06-2008   #28
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Horror View Post
I agree with you. One of the problems the Texans have faced over Kubiak's term is a dependence on recovering players. The Texans can't win that way. So they need to look for a new number one cornerback.

That being said, everything I have read from and about Dunta has me convinced he will be back and playing, probably quicker than any of us expect. I don't think he would accept anything less than that from himself.
I feel confident Dunta will be back and playing in the NFL, hopefully for our team. However, I don't think he's going to be the old Dunta that we all liked. We really need a starting cB in FA or the Draft and when Dunta returns I think he'd be a heck of a nickle for us. finally we'd be strong at CB that would only be a good thing playing against Peyton + by then our DL should be consistently putting pressure on the QB and we'd look like the Giants.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #29
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

What extent was the injury to Dunta? I thought it was a break?
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #30
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I concur! There is no way we need to even glance at another TE. OD, Dreesen, and Bruener or Putzier is all we need. We can draft one in the 6th if we must for depth purposes. Focus salary cap matters on bigger needs. That's what good front offices do, and we are building one great FO. Have some faith!

Green is NOT the last big free agent we bring in. I fully expect one Big name talent, or three "second tier" talents that will fill holes.

The current TEs are under contract and to cut any will still cost against cap and I do not see team cutting any. I am not sure on Dreesen's contract but do not see him geting cut. TE is a strength not a weakness. I also expect a significant hole to be addressed in FA.
Old 02-06-2008   #31
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
What extent was the injury to Dunta? I thought it was a break?
He tore his ACL and LCL and ripped the hamstring off the bone.
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #32
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The current TEs are under contract and to cut any will still cost against cap and I do not see team cutting any. I am not sure on Dreesen's contract but do not see him geting cut. TE is a strength not a weakness. I also expect a significant hole to be addressed in FA.
any Texans fan whos been aware of the Texans needs & shortcomings knows that TE is & has never been one of its strengths. thats just not accurate. Owen Daniels, a 4th rd. draft pick has been a breath of fresh air, until him Billy Miller anyone? mark Brunner basicly extra LT thats good for a couple catches a season. now Jeb Purtzier from Kubiacks Denver days along with FB Jameel Cook have done exactly what? filled roster spots & salary cap space something we both need & can eliminate. something you can address in FA, IMO
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #33
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I feel confident Dunta will be back and playing in the NFL, hopefully for our team. However, I don't think he's going to be the old Dunta that we all liked. We really need a starting cB in FA or the Draft and when Dunta returns I think he'd be a heck of a nickle for us. finally we'd be strong at CB that would only be a good thing playing against Peyton + by then our DL should be consistently putting pressure on the QB and we'd look like the Giants.
Rick Smith himself said that Dunta wouldn't be back until AT LEAST the second half of the season. Dunta may say it will be sooner, but I'm sure our GM knows what he's talking about. If anything they usually tell us it will be sooner (see: Charles Spencer and AJ). I'll try and find a link. I know he's a fighter, but as someone just said...he'll be a Nickle at best next season. I TRULY hope I'm wrong.
Old 02-06-2008   #34
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded View Post
He tore his ACL and LCL and ripped the hamstring off the bone.
Oh wow. Was I ever wrong.

I'd love for us to nab Asomaugh away from the Raiders. Looking at their roster bad as we got hit with injuries I'm looking at lot of IRs there.

A lot of people have mentioned Fargas...IR. Looks like Seth Wand landed on the squad as well. Donovan Darius was also released.

Looks like landing another top flight corner becomes imperative now. CB is easier to address in FA.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #35
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
any Texans fan whos been aware of the Texans needs & shortcomings knows that TE is & has never been one of its strengths. thats just not accurate. Owen Daniels, a 4th rd. draft pick has been a breath of fresh air, until him Billy Miller anyone? mark Brunner basicly extra LT thats good for a couple catches a season. now Jeb Purtzier from Kubiacks Denver days along with FB Jameel Cook have done exactly what? filled roster spots & salary cap space something we both need & can eliminate. something you can address in FA, IMO
i seem to recall the coaches saying that cook is one of our best ST players.. jeb has contributed much though.. we can get TEs cheap as UDFA's anyway who can contribute so im not too bothered about it
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #36
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Completely disagree with you assessment. Putzier was signed to be the go to guy at TE under the Denver offensive scheme that Kubes used. Owen Daniel beat him out. The fact that Kubes was a big fan of Kevin Walter imo increased passes to him that may have gone to TE. Breuner is used for his blocking skills but his use will be reduced also because of OD's skills. Breuner has more upside in a Sherman type O than in the O we will see next season. Going forward, I see an even more balance passing attack with emphasis on AJ, Andre Davis (if signed), Walters and JJ. Our RBs will also see an increase of passes especially if Mendenhall, Stewart or J. Charles are selected. TEs will go for that short yardage type pass for a first down or TD or as a dump release to protect QB.

I repeat, tight end is a strength in this O and nothing of significance will be done to add. A cheap FA or lower round pick may be used as BPA only. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2008   #37
LonerATO
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10015 LonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respectedLonerATO is a quality contributor and well respected

For the love of god no LJ Smith please! that cat cant catch passes and I would rather have the TE's we have now
LonerATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #38
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Completely disagree with you assessment. Putzier was signed to be the go to guy at TE under the Denver offensive scheme that Kubes used. Owen Daniel beat him out. The fact that Kubes was a big fan of Kevin Walter imo increased passes to him that may have gone to TE. Breuner is used for his blocking skills but his use will be reduced also because of OD's skills. Breuner has more upside in a Sherman type O than in the O we will see next season. Going forward, I see an even more balance passing attack with emphasis on AJ, Andre Davis (if signed), Walters and JJ. Our RBs will also see an increase of passes especially if Mendenhall, Stewart or J. Charles are selected. TEs will go for that short yardage type pass for a first down or TD or as a dump release to protect QB.

I repeat, tight end is a strength in this O and nothing of significance will be done to add. A cheap FA or lower round pick may be used as BPA only. Just my 2 cents.
The ONLY thing I can see wrong with our TE corps is that Bruener is getting pretty old and Owen Daniels showed a real lack of blocking talent in pass protection and run blocking. I could see if they got a huge TE like Cottram in the 6th or 7th round to take Bruener's role but other than that, I don't see them taking a TE too much earlier than that because we lack our 2nd rounder.
Old 02-06-2008   #39
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree with what you are saying, but you can never have too many capable tight ends. Tight ends take a beating. Shockey found that out this year. Even Owen was bleeding from the face this year. It would never be out of the question for us to look for more weapons for the position.

Putzier should be the #2 tight end next year, unless we add another player to challenge him. I think Bruener's days are over as a Texan and probably in the NFL. If we were to add a tight end I think we do it in the later rounds of the draft. Any significant FA is going to be more money than we want to spend on a TE.

Last edited by TexansSeminole; 02-06-2008 at 01:37 PM.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #40
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47040 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

well if TE is a strength of this team thats not saying much is it?

we're talking FA here, all three players mentioned where aquired via free agency, meaning they were let go, cut from their respective teams & designated special........ teams material.

this will be Brueners 14th season coming up. @ what point do physical skills diminish, loss of foot speed, laterial quickness & desire to compete against much younger athletes? beleive this is the last year of a contract he signed back in 06 so I have no problem keeping him for insurance but you have to look ahead & this roster spot could be upgraded once again via FA.

However we could see Joel Dreessen stepping into Marks role as the starting blocking TE, better hands & speed. 6th rd. selection of the Jets but released picked up in FA via the Texans in 07. one of the last roster cuts this past season but then brought back & stuck with the active roster bascily the rest of the way. is he comparable to Kevin Boss of the Giants? maybe would like to get a better look this season.

Forgot to even mention Jeb Purtzier, somehow he just slipped my mind, maybe its cause he's never done anything. was hoping he would be our Dallas Clark, what happened anyway? also signed as a free agent in 06, former 6th rd. draft pick, notice a trend? he's caught a whopping total of 6 passes for the Texans in two years, boy I can't wait to see him pad those totals in 08.

Cook was relesed by Tampa & picked up by the Texans in 06. spent 07 on the PUP. once again brought in for blocking & special teams play. Very limited role player, who will be in competition for a roster spot with Jon Abbote, wanna take bets who will make the team in the fall?

Not trying to make a big deal out of it, just posting these are the type of free agent deals, moves the Texans will have an opportunity to make, not the flashy big name high dollar CB's etc.....there is no one single area of strength on this team its pretty evenly dispersed with balance close to NFL averages. Salary cap has a lot to do with that so the playing field remains even for all teams to compete if they're smart, effeicent, good talent evaluators/coaching & cap management savy.

Last edited by beerlover; 02-06-2008 at 01:54 PM.
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read