Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-05-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default 08 Free Agent Market

Free agency is just around the corner, February 28th (edited thanks painkiller) time to target upgrades without breaking the improving salary cap (30-35 mil). here are just a few of the bigger names, I'm sure many under the radar types could be added to the roster or at least be signed to come in & compete for roster spots, so here goes nothing.

this is but a hope & dream that the Texans do find a trading partner & can trade down & pick up a 2nd rd. pick giving them ammo to address two needs instead of one (CB/LT).

The Texans are not going to be able to address LT via free agency because there is not one available who is an upgrade over Salaam. The Texans seem solid @ RT which takes Jordon Gross, Panthars & Dave Stewart, Titans off the wanted list. Flozell Adams, Cowboys is a good LT but is 33 years old & wants some decent money.

CB is another thing Nnamdi Asomugha, Asante Samuel are the two blue chips with Marcus Trufant not too far behind. Marcus is a possiblity because his price tag may be within the Texans price range if he wants to really play for the Texans & reunite with Rhodes, you think the Texans have at least a 50% chance of aquiring him, does he bring what is missing & how will that expenditure affect the rest of the signings especially our own free agents like Andre Davis, Demps, Weary, Dunta Robinson?

What about RB? do the Texans dump a truckload of money again (see Ahman Green) for Michael Turner? maybe a cheaper alternative like Justin Fargas or take a flyer on undervalued Julius Jones? Again with such a deep RB class coming out in the draft I just don't see it, Texans seem willing to give Ahman another year to prove himself.

WR is risky, drafting one too so look for the Texans to resign Andre Davis. But if they want to add someone that is another good value like Davis was last season a sleeper pick-up is Seattles D.J. Hackett, maybe this is where Rhodes strikes his 1st pay dirt for this staff.

TE is another surpise need that could be filled via FA because of lower investment & need with only Owen Daniels locked in for sure & Joel Dreesen making strides. I have seen nothing that makes me think Jeb Putzier or Mark Bruener have much more value & if this offense is going to take off they need another TE who is a weapon & can block. I would like to see them make a run @ the Eagles L.J. Smith, after Rhodes time but could be a real steal & help this team.

Center could receive alot of attention & there are a couple good Jeff Faine, Saints & Chris Myers, Broncos, would have to pay them pretty well but I guess they could if targeted. The Texans need to sort out this position once & for all one would think between Steve McKinney, Mike Flanagan, Chris White, Drew Hodgdon & newly aquired Greg Eslinger the Texans will get decent production.

DE/DT both needs but will the Texans spend to address these positions & of the two which is more important? no way they aquire one of the top FA's like Suggs or Jared Allen but a proven second tier RDE is a possiblity like the Bengals Justin Smith who is a decent pass rusher. a space eating nose tackle has been discussed on this board & a general consensus was Isaac Spopaga as much because he's a cheaper option as well need.

OLB is a position very likey to address here some really good ones which should help flood the market enough to put a top player within the Texans reach, maybe the biggest off season signing. Karlos Dansby heads that list. others of consideration could be Kawika Mitchell, Giants & Brandon Chillar, Rams.

Safety position will be addressed with Demps resigning unless they have to overpay. in that case if they are going to have to overpay to address this position maybe the Cowboys Ken Hamlin or Gibril Wilson of the Superbowl Giants afterall they are not going to be able to keep everyone now they'll all want to be payed.

In a nutshell expect some new faces that are mild upgrades but nothing special. my projected top free agent aquisition is OLB Karlos Dansby. DE Justin Smith & WR D.J. Hackett or TE L.J. Smith.

OK

Last edited by beerlover; 02-05-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: change dates
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #2
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer
Default Re: 08 Free Agent Market

What about Travelle Wharton from Carolina?
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #3
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

While I agree with most of what you said, I also think they could target any number of another CB that are going to be FA because not only do we needa starting CB but we also need a nickle CB, that is unless you are satisfied with Faggins as a nickle (I am not) So others like .

CB Drayton Florence (Chargers)
CB Jacques Reeves (Dallas)
CB Domonique Foxworth (Broncos) I know but look who he is playing behind.

Also if you are going to look at another WR out of Davis I would look at Bryant Johnson (Cardinals). Do not forget with injuries I also think a RG could be looked at in FA or at the very least we need depth along the line and almost anyone would be better than roster eating, cap eating and oxygen waisting Jordan Black.
Old 02-05-2008   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I know we are in better cap shape this offseason as compared to last year, but how much better ? Do we really have the cap freedom to land a couple big-time players without putting ourselves in cap-hell for the future, or will we be forced to shop the second-tier talent ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #5
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
I know we are in better cap shape this offseason as compared to last year, but how much better ? Do we really have the cap freedom to land a couple big-time players without putting ourselves in cap-hell for the future, or will we be forced to shop the second-tier talent ?
If I recall correctly we have about $30 mil or so to spend to sign our own FA and draft picks and sign other FA. So with that I think it is entirely possible to sign a couple second tier (last year we were signing third) players and at least one tier one FA. Along with this I am sure there will be a third tier signed as well.
Old 02-05-2008   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
The Texans aren't going to sign Florence. I don't know why his name is continually brought up. Reeves is horrible. Foxworth is a restricted free agent. The Texans would have to give Denver a 3rd round pick as compensation if signed to an offer sheet the Broncos refused to match.
Old 02-05-2008   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The Texans aren't going to sign Florence. I don't know why his name is continually brought up. Reeves is horrible. Foxworth is a restricted free agent. The Texans would have to give Denver a 3rd round pick as compensation if signed to an offer sheet the Broncos refused to match.
Why wouldn't they sign Florence? Is there something I am missing? I mentioned Foxworth as in the likes of as in a player that is not a top tier talent but could very easily be a nickle and is better than Faggins. I only mention the RFA because there is no guarantee that a team will offer all of its RFA because of cap issue and needs in other areas. It is not like Denver does not have two starting CB that will be cut anytime soon. The same with Reeves. You say Reeves sucks but doesn't he suck less than Faggins?
Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2008   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why wouldn't they sign Florence? Is there something I am missing? I mentioned Foxworth as in the likes of as in a player that is not a top tier talent but could very easily be a nickle and is better than Faggins. I only mention the RFA because there is no guarantee that a team will offer all of its RFA because of cap issue and needs in other areas. It is not like Denver does not have two starting CB that will be cut anytime soon. The same with Reeves. You say Reeves sucks but doesn't he suck less than Faggins?
Faggins is OK in nickel packages where he has boatloads of help covering people. Remember, Faggins is such a pariah this year because he was on the field most of the defensive snaps at the beginning of the year. Faggins has always played decently for us in nickel packages, but never as CB #2. Drayton Florence is complete garbage, and he gets dumb personal foul penalties to boot (ask Charger fans, they care not one bit if some team is silly enough to sign Florence to anything but minimum). The other guys mentioned could be brought into training camp like WR's were last year and I wouldn't mind, but none of the guys mentioned deserve big pay raises from us just because we seem to think that Faggins is so terrible he should be shot.
Old 02-05-2008   #9
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Free agency is just around the corner, February 22nd we'll know who is designated franchise and transition players. then March 3rd. @ midnight the movers & shakers pull all nighters trying to sign targeted free agents.
Great post, but you used last years dates. these are the 2008 dates.
Quote:
February 7 - Commencement of 15-day designation period for Franchise and Transition Players

February 10 - AFC-NFC Pro Bowl in Honolulu, Hawaii

February 11 - Waiver process begins

February 20-26 - NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, Indiana

February 21 - Deadline for teams to designate Franchise and Transition Players

February 28 - Deadline for submission of Qualifying Offers by teams to their Restricted Free Agents whose contracts have expired and to whom they desire to retain a Right of First Refulsal/Compensation

February 28 - Deadline for teams to submit offer of minimum salary to retain exclusive negotiating righs to their players with fewer than three seasons of free agency credit whose contracts have expired

February 29 - Start of Free Agency and Trading period

March 17 - Begin Offseason Workout Programs

March 30-April 3 - NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Florida

April 25 - Deadline for teams to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents

April 18 - Deadline for signing of Offer Sheets by Restricted Free Agents

April 25 - Deadline for old team to exercise Right of First Refusal to Restricted Free Agents

April 26-27 - NFL Draft in New York City

May 19-21 - NFL Spring Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia

June 1 - Deadline for old team to send tender offer to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents or to extend Qualifying offer, whichever is greater, in order to retain rights

June 1 - Deadline for old team to send tender offer to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents to retain rights if player is not signed by another team by July 22

June 29 -July 2 - Rookie Symposium in Carlsbad, California

July - NFL teams begin Training Camp

August 3 - Hall of Fame game in Canton, Ohio

August 26 - Roster reduction to 75 players

August 30 - Roster reduction to 53 players

September 4-8 - NFL Regular Season begins
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans have apprx $35 million to sign draft picks, their FA and any new FA. Contracts can be worded such as Mario to increase guaranteed money and decrease bonus money. Most like Nate Clements are back loaded so the player may not get the $80 million Clements signed for. First thing I'd do is sign Davis and if possible Demps then go after other FA.

Corner with DR out is absolutely biggest hole and can be addressed in draft but why when we can sign a good one in free agency. Don't forget Texans sign Chris Olsen from NFL as the salary cap guru. Most players just want to wave the total contract $ at their buddies. Two contracts with bonus (if any) and first year to hit the cap at $5 to 8million will bring an excellent corner and an OLB. It can be done. The $ is available and can make a diff. McNair has pocketed cap $ in previous years and now should be willing to "cap out" to get starters that can make a diff for a few years.

You re-sign Davis and WR is a position of strength, If Demps can be had reasonably, we can enter season with strongest back field to date. Remember that Kubes was satisified with Glenn Earl and CC Brown. Boulaware, Brandon Mitchell and Brandon Harrison will all get their shot at TC.

Some think Briesel would beat out Fred Weary and the latter may not make the team. Studdard and Frye may get a good look see.

Draft a RB and left tackle in 1st & 3rd and go FS in 4th for insurance. 5th = you can look at BPA. Bingo, no holes.
Old 02-05-2008   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the level of players you have listed are above what we will pay in free agency. I would look for us to add a corner like Drayton Florence, William James, or Randall Gay. We are supposed to be looking for bigger corners and these guys are all 5'11"-6'0" and very affordable. Also, at DE - with Weaver still onboard - I would look more at a Bobby McCray type addition than Justin Smith.

Rick Smith has said that he wants to build through the draft and supplement in free agency. Given that Ahman Green is the only big name addition we have seen in free agency, and the result of that, I would look for a whole lot of prudence in the offseason.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Why wouldn't they sign Florence? Is there something I am missing?
Apparently. Does a helmet-to-helmet hit in Week 8 ring a bell? I know it did with Matt Schaub. And I'm certain Texan GM Rick (Don't call me Richard) Smith remembers.

Quote:
In a statement released by the Texans, team general manager Rick Smith said the fine wasn’t enough; he added, “We are disappointed in the sense that we have lost our starting quarterback for at least one game after the player took the crown of his helmet and delivered an illegal blow to Matt’s jaw and the fine levied is only a small fraction of the player’s weekly pay. Is that equitable? The punishment doesn’t appear to fit the crime when all factors are considered.”
Old 02-05-2008   #13
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Quote:
Apparently. Does a helmet-to-helmet hit in Week 8 ring a bell? I know it did with Matt Schaub. And I'm certain Texan GM Rick (Don't call me Richard) Smith remembers.
For some reason I was thinking it was someone else who did the hit. So yes you are right we would never sign him for that reason alone.
Old 02-05-2008   #14
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Agreed.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know. Invite him to camp and have Schaub meet him with a baseball bat. Then cut him.
Old 02-05-2008   #16
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I want a DE in FA.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I want a DE in FA.
mentioned Justin Smith as high probable fit for the Texan need @ RDE

http://www.bengals.com/team/player.asp?player_id=10
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #18
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
TE is another surpise need that could be filled via FA because of lower investment & need with only Owen Daniels locked in for sure & Joel Dreesen making strides. I have seen nothing that makes me think Jeb Putzier or Mark Bruener have much more value & if this offense is going to take off they need another TE who is a weapon & can block. I would like to see them make a run @ the Eagles L.J. Smith, after Rhodes time but could be a real steal & help this team.
I have to disagree with this. I think TE is a point of strength, with OD (who can pretty much do it all), Dreesen (who apparantly only comes in to catch a TD), Bruener (our blocking specialist), and then Putzier (who can provide veteran leadership to our 2 younger, developing TEs). I'd hate to see the Texans use up the cap in upgrading the TE position while there are gaping needs in other areas of this football team.
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
I have to disagree with this. I think TE is a point of strength, with OD (who can pretty much do it all), Dreesen (who apparantly only comes in to catch a TD), Bruener (our blocking specialist), and then Putzier (who can provide veteran leadership to our 2 younger, developing TEs). I'd hate to see the Texans use up the cap in upgrading the TE position while there are gaping needs in other areas of this football team.
I agree and Kubes has to get Dreesen on field to bring more TDs.
Old 02-05-2008   #20
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I agree with most of what you said, I also think they could target any number of another CB that are going to be FA because not only do we needa starting CB but we also need a nickle CB, that is unless you are satisfied with Faggins as a nickle (I am not) So others like .

Also if you are going to look at another WR out of Davis I would look at Bryant Johnson (Cardinals). Do not forget with injuries I also think a RG could be looked at in FA or at the very least we need depth along the line and almost anyone would be better than roster eating, cap eating and oxygen waisting Jordan Black.
Reeves=Faggins=Reeves=Faggins

They are pretty much interchangeable - why would anyone want either one?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read