Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-03-2008   #1
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default My Texans Mock

Preface - I ain't pretending to be a scout

1. Kenny Phillips (FS) - Guy is getting killed as of late (Mayock) but I think he'll be a good pro. Great value pick at 18 too.
3. Ray Rice (RB) - Fits our system to a T
4. Cliff Avril (DE) - Gives us a pass rusher with a high motor
5. Barry Richardson (OL) - Project for Gibbs
6. Jerermy Zuttah (OL) - Project for Gibbs
7. David Vobora (LB) - Dude makes tackles, why not?

Last edited by rollinstone18; 02-03-2008 at 10:29 AM. Reason: added positions
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #2
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: My Texans Mock

Quote:
1. Kenny Phillips (FS) - Guy is getting killed as of late (Mayock)
What did Mayock say about Phillips?
Old 02-03-2008   #3
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
What did Mayock say about Phillips?
I think "most over-rated prospect in the draft" were his words. Said he was a 2nd rounder.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
I think "most over-rated prospect in the draft" were his words. Said he was a 2nd rounder.
I like Mayock as a "draft expert". But, he's been wrong before.

"Reggie Bush is the best back I've seen in years and years, and in my mind he's an every-down back and the first pick in the draft." - Mike Mayock
Old 02-03-2008   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"Reggie Bush is the best back I've seen in years and years, and in my mind he's an every-down back and the first pick in the draft." - Mike Mayock
This still amazes me how so many people could have been so wrong about Bush ? And I'm not talking about the goofey guys on TV productions like "Around the Horn", but people like this Mayoc who is clearly a very accurate judge of college talent and their potetial in the NFL. Atleast most of the time I guess.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #6
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
This still amazes me how so many people could have been so wrong about Bush ? And I'm not talking about the goofey guys on TV productions like "Around the Horn", but people like this Mayoc who is clearly a very accurate judge of college talent and their potetial in the NFL. Atleast most of the time I guess.
Its the idea of Group Think. There were a whole lot of people that were saying this and after awhile people begin to see the guy a little differently. The more people here "every down back" the more they slowly begin to believe it. They allow themselves to foget about Lendale White and that the average NFL LBs are a bit faster than the average college LB.

I still applaud Michael Smith for choosing to look at things a little more objectively and taking a closer look.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #7
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

1st: Jamaal Charles- RB- Texas
why not? has been impressive and brings in local talent.

3rd: Erin Henderson- OLB- Maryland
Greenwood is being overpaid.

4thuane Brown- OT- VT
Frye has, so far, been a disappointment

5th:Craig Stevens- TE- Cal
Putzier doesn't have a future here and Stevens can block like Bruener did.

6th:Jack Williams- CB- Kent State
fast and could make a final roster.

7th:Curtis Johnson- DE- Clark Atlanta
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2008   #8
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
Its the idea of Group Think. There were a whole lot of people that were saying this and after awhile people begin to see the guy a little differently.
And it works the same for a player being downgraded. A prospect will get knocked for something he doesn't do well, and everyone forgets the things he does right. As far as RBs in recent drafts, Steven Jackson (poor 40 time) and Larry Johnson (fumbling) come to mind. Jackson proved to be plenty fast enough and Johnson was able to cure his fumbling woes with a little pro coaching.
Old 02-03-2008   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post

4thuane Brown- OT- VT

Jamaal Charles is not worth a first round pick and it would be a major reach to pick him at 18.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #10
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

4thuane Brown- OT- VT

How is Frye a disappointment?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Henderson is a boarderline 1st rounder and will only rise up with his workouts. He won't be there in the 3rd.
Old 02-03-2008   #12
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And it works the same for a player being downgraded. A prospect will get knocked for something he doesn't do well, and everyone forgets the things he does right. As far as RBs in recent drafts, Steven Jackson (poor 40 time) and Larry Johnson (fumbling) come to mind. Jackson proved to be plenty fast enough and Johnson was able to cure his fumbling woes with a little pro coaching.
Very true. People tend to not think for themselves and let themselves be led by others. This occurs not only in football, but in life as well.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 02-03-2008   #13
awtysst
Draft Guru

Quote:

4thuane Brown- OT- VT

1. Why not? Because I see value in going after a RB in the 3rd. Charles will be in the second or possibly in the third. If he slides he will push another go player to us. Point is that this is a DEEP draft for RB and shallow in other areas. I say shore up another area like CB where the prospects drop off considerably after round 1.

3. As YTF has already said I don't see Henderson in the 3rd. I think he will be gone somewhere in the early to mid 2nd possibly late 1st.

4: What exactly has Frye done to disappoint you? He hasn't gotten on the field as of yet, but thats disappointing? He was a 5th rounder so he was not expected to start. He was taken as a project not as an immediate starter.

-awtysst on 4/28/2011
Old 02-04-2008   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
Preface - I ain't pretending to be a scout

1. Kenny Phillips (FS) - Guy is getting killed as of late (Mayock) but I think he'll be a good pro. Great value pick at 18 too.
3. Ray Rice (RB) - Fits our system to a T
4. Cliff Avril (DE) - Gives us a pass rusher with a high motor
5. Barry Richardson (OL) - Project for Gibbs
6. Jerermy Zuttah (OL) - Project for Gibbs
7. David Vobora (LB) - Dude makes tackles, why not?
Zuttah fits, Berry Richrdson doesn't. Try again. The reason Mayock is killing him is he did not produce last year. Neither did Demps. The saftey class will be exposed if someone reaches for Silva in round three. Now you may want to lock and load Phillips up with ten to thirteen million up front. I got feeling Rick Smith is going to disagree with your upside assment of Mr. Phillips.
Old 02-04-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
Jamaal Charles is not worth a first round pick and it would be a major reach to pick him at 18.
Agreed: that there thingy was the orange love rearing it's ugly head. One of the backs is going to fall. If they pick him up in the second day , better value.
Old 02-04-2008   #16
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
The reason Mayock is killing him is he did not produce last year. Neither did Demps.
Phillips set a career high in tackles. Demps scored 3 defensive TDs last season. What are you talking about?
Old 02-04-2008   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Phillips set a career high in tackles. Demps scored 3 defensive TDs last season. What are you talking about?
Phillips had 82 tackles, 7 TFLs, 5 PD, 3 FF, & 2 INTs.

Those are good numbers. But are they worth a top 10 pick?

Demps had 72 tackles, 5 TFLs, 9 PD, 5 INTs (2 TDs), 1 FR, & 1 blocked kick.

Pretty good numbers from a projected 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Last edited by bah007; 02-04-2008 at 09:10 AM.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #18
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Phillips had 82 tackles, 7 TFLs, 5 PD, 3 FF, & 2 INTs.

Those are good numbers. But are they worth a top 10 pick?
Top picks are based upon metrics as well production. Phillips stacks up well to the other safeties taken high in recent drafts (Landry, Huff, Whitner) in both metrics & production.
Old 02-04-2008   #19
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Top picks are based upon metrics as well production. Phillips stacks up well to the other safeties taken high in recent drafts (Landry, Huff, Whitner) in both metrics & production.
Obviously. I was just throwing the numbers out there for ya'll to see.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #20
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
Obviously. I was just throwing the numbers out there for ya'll to see.
Stats are deceiving...

Darren McFadden- 2007
325 rushes for 1,830 yards (5.6 yd avg) 80-long- 16 TD's
21 receptions for 164 yards (7.8 yd avg)- 1 TD

Matt Forte- 2007
361 rushes for 2,127 yards (5.9 yd avg) 77-long- 23 TD's
32 receptions for 282 yards (8.8 yd avg)- 0 TD

And that's comparing the possible #1 overall, most coveted RB in the Draft to a 3rd/4th/5th rounder.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read