Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-29-2004   #41
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid
because peek wasnt a first round pick.. but mostly because peek did not win the position in the off season.

And the arguement isnt that he is too enthusiastic.. not really anyway. The arguement is that he makes mental mistakes. He can really shine when you line him up and tell him to go get a QB.. but what about in coverage? what about in the run?

And yah, we could switch him out on certain downs.. but we are we going to take out? Wong? our best cover LB? or Babin? our young guy who needs the experience.

*shrug*.. if the coaches feel he isnt ready to start yet.. then he isnt ready to start yet. Im sure he will have another chance to win the position next year though.
Too many mental mistakes? where did he blow coverage this season so far, when he got an interception? How many missed tackles and bad plays against the run has he made? And the comment that babin is a young guy who needs experience is a farce. Peek is basically just as young, and really hasnt gotten any time this year to progress. We arent saying he should start, but he should play more, actually get snaps. Why is it that only 2 people on this site realize that every other team in teh NFL rotates their linebackers some to keep them fresh. And i still point out that babin has been doing some of the things you all complain about peek doing, such as his over pursuit yesterday on the pass rush and then mcnaire stepped over and ran for 20 yards.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #42
bruenice
Rookie

Not to mention the time he had an open shot at McNair, got jooked and fell on his butt. Just had to point that out, but he definitely isn't spending as much time on the ground as he did at the beginning of the season. Just rotate the players, that's it.
bruenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #43
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

well for one.. we arent every other team.. so the rotating linebacker thing doesnt necessarily apply. I trust the coaches to say when we need to switch players out.

secondly.. I cannot list mental mistakes by peek.. im going by what Capers has said. Mostly last season. Peek didnt win the job in the offseason and isnt likely to get the nod unless someone else isnt pulling their weight. As things are.. we are doing good with Wong and Babin, and apparently Peek hasnt done anything to make the coaches feel that he is ready to be a starter.

I think Peek is the future starter at Wongs position.. and hopefully he will stay and win the spot.. instead of running off somewhere else.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #44
bruenice
Rookie

How can he be the future at the position if he isn't getting reps now? And, how much further into the future? Wong probably has 3-4 more good years left in him.
I don't think that he would "run off" somewhere else, but all players want playing time and I wouldn't blame him if he went somewhere where he would get more.
Old 11-29-2004   #45
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Peek has pure speed and rush moves. He is great as a situational pass-rusher. There are two reasons that he isn't starting every down:

1. He is undisciplined and will leave his responsibility to try to "make a play".

2. He is not the swiftest guy out there. He seems slow to learn.

Basically he is a (very?) poor man's LT.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #46
bruenice
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Peek has pure speed and rush moves. He is great as a situational pass-rusher. There are two reasons that he isn't starting every down:

1. He is undisciplined and will leave his responsibility to try to "make a play".

In terms of "swiftest" do you mean speed or intelligence. If speed, then why is he a gunner on some of the punt plays? If intelligence, what proof do you have. When is he leaving his responsibility. I guess that you are the D-coordinator and know exactly where every player is supposed to be in every situation.
And, again, nobody is asking for him to be in "every down", just that he gets more than 4 reps a game.
Old 11-29-2004   #47
dmt217
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottoddie
To touch on a subject that I brought up a while back in regards to whether or not Babin could play the SS position, I wonder if the coaches have ever given any thought to inserting Babin or Peek into the SS position, with the other one at OLB in an all out blitze situation? Imagine Wong, Peek, & Babin in an all out safety blitz. That would be some serious speed & meat coming at you. That'd be an interesting play to run on occasion.
Safety blitz? I'd rather have Wong inside and Peek on the outside. I wonder why the coaches didn't do this yesterday w/ Foreman out.
dmt217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2004   #48
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:

poor mans LT? i believe LT was the greatest OLB ever, so any comparison is nice. And its funny how you all keep saying he will leave his spot to make a play, because i believe he has played contain well when he has been in and has not been burnt on any running plays or pass plays. I point out again like bruenice that Babin did that exact same thing yesterday when he didnt keep contain on McNaire, so why isnt he stupid like Peek is? And who are you to say what he will do, stop listening to things of the past and making stereotypes on how he will play now, because i think he has shown he has improved whether he has been able to show it or not. And yes, if he doesnt play this year and doesnt get a lot more PT or start next season, he will be leaving and not running off, because he will get a big pay day and playing time with someone else just like Foley did.
Old 11-29-2004   #49
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Ok, did anyone see this? I was at the game and wondering why the Texans called a timeout...and then saw a few Texans defenders turning around and staring at Peek....Peek had his helment cocked up and he was looking down.

Come to find out:
Quote:
'Fired-up' Peek
Texans linebacker Antwan Peek is an emotional player to say the least. So how charged up was Peek after he got a sack and forced a fumble on the same play in Sunday's game?

"To the point I couldn't do the next play," Peek said. "I just got so excited, I started throwing up. Sometimes your adrenaline gets going, and it just happens. That's how fired up I was."
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #50
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

haha poor guy, atleast it shows he has a passion for the game. It was a big play that may have determined the outcome of the game. I say we give him more play time, and just to think i was a peek hater less than a week ago
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #51
georgewashington
Veteran

exactly the guy has so much adrenaline and pride in playing that he worked himself up after he made a play that may have saved the game and PUKED. People only puke when they have a lot of nerves built up from being either scared or excited. We need more guys with that intensity. People say it is recklessness, but i would take 11 guys that are wired any day because when they make a play they all get excited adn everyone steps up. If there were 11 peeks and i was an opposing QB or RB or Wide out i would be scared that someone may come after me and try and take my head off. Some of these guys need a boost of something cuz they have no emotions on the field. Babin is playing hard, but where is the enthusiasm. everytime they show him on all you see is the mustache cuz his mouth is always closed, maybe just rookie nerves or thinking going on, but let out the beast. Peek gets his team fired up, gets the crowd going, and makes plays. He needs to be on the field more.
Old 11-29-2004   #52
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You can't compare a guy that hasn't been able to beat out Wong to the greatest linebacker ever to play this game.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #53
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
You can't compare a guy that hasn't been able to beat out Wong to the greatest linebacker ever to play this game.
I think the comparison is referring to the reckless abandone that they both play with. The pure energy that they have. I dont think he was saying Peek is even close to LT status. By poor mans version he means style, not production, but who knows what the future holds.
Old 11-29-2004   #54
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

True but LT was not the smartest guy to ever play LB. He had the best combination of speed, athletism, and instincts ever though.

I was just saying that Peek had great speed but lacked smarts, like LT. Basically those were the common traits I was comparing. I'm not saying Peek is ever going to be more than a situational pass-rusher.
Old 11-29-2004   #55
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah but using Peek and LT in the same sentence is like saying Bob Sura is like Larry Bird.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #56
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

You don't think Bob Sura is going to be the next Larry Bird? And you call yourself a Rocket's fan?

:christmas
Old 11-29-2004   #57
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
True but LT was not the smartest guy to ever play LB. He had the best combination of speed, athletism, and instincts ever though.

I was just saying that Peek had great speed but lacked smarts, like LT. Basically those were the common traits I was comparing. I'm not saying Peek is ever going to be more than a situational pass-rusher.

How do you know how smart Peek is? He is playing a new position and just cuz it takes a while for him to pick it up doesnt mean he is dumb. I do believe he is one of the few in the NFL that have actually graduated from college.
Old 11-29-2004   #58
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
exactly the guy has so much adrenaline and pride in playing that he worked himself up after he made a play that may have saved the game and PUKED. People only puke when they have a lot of nerves built up from being either scared or excited. We need more guys with that intensity.
This would then become a "turf" related issue. The divots are bad enough, but vomit piles everywhere would just be crazy.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #59
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

we'd have to hire a SPECIAL vomit clean up crew !
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #60
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
The pure energy that they have.
LT had pure energy? I thought he got his energy from crack?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read