Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 11-28-2004   #21
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

oh and BTW.. considering how close Babin is getting to the QB and how often he is doing it. I bet with a season full of game tape, and an off season to work on fundamentals.. he becomes a force next season.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #22
AndreJ
All Pro

Grid

I think that was very well put maybe the coaches know something that we don't. fact of the matter is all three of them are very good Wong is having an outstanding season, Babin pressures the QB and Peek makes plays. Babin will be with us for years to come and as from Peek we don't know how long he'll be a texan until thin i think we should stay with the squad we have and if one of our OLBs gets hurt we know who we can go to for backup
Old 11-28-2004   #23
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Babin was drafted to play the strong side OLB that has many responsiblities other than pass rush. People who cannot see past the sack stat is missing the evolution of a pretty good player.
Babin is getting better as seen in his tackles today, but i think everyone is just finally seeing that Peek should be playing more. Both players have a great upside, and people have seen Peeks and he only plays a handfull of snaps a game. Its hard to argue against someone who comes in and on their first play gets a sack and a forced fumble that may have kept the Titans from at least getting even on the scoreboard, if not taking the lead, adn then on the second play he laid McNaire out again. Im just glad that people other than myself are coming out and saying that they want to see this guy on the field.
georgewashington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #24
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

We would all like to see Peek on the field more....but not at the expense of the team. He is on a curve to start by next year. I'm sure he will get more PT as the season winds down.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #25
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Grid

I think that was very well put maybe the coaches know something that we don't. fact of the matter is all three of them are very good Wong is having an outstanding season, Babin pressures the QB and Peek makes plays. Babin will be with us for years to come and as from Peek we don't know how long he'll be a texan until thin i think we should stay with the squad we have and if one of our OLBs gets hurt we know who we can go to for backup
True babin will be with this team for a long time, but why waste keeping peek for a long time too? And all the talk about how the coaches may see other stuff at practice or whatever, do people really understand how much they practice during the season? they really do not do much during the season other than films, a couple days of real practice, but not much hitting so its harder to guage progress in season. Like I said before if they dont utilize him soon, he is gonna be out the door making these plays against david carr soon (and it may be a lot easier since the line doesnt block for him, and he ducks and cowers away before he is even touched, like the sack he took today) Ive been saying all year, the past doesnt matter, Peek hasnt screwed up this year, he has done nothing but make plays with the few chances he has gotten, so let him on the field
Old 11-28-2004   #26
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
We would all like to see Peek on the field more....but not at the expense of the team. He is on a curve to start by next year. I'm sure he will get more PT as the season winds down.
Start by next year? so they are getting rid of Wong? and i disagree that it would be at the expense of the team, i disagree with that until he has shown THIS SEASON that he cant be effective.
Old 11-28-2004   #27
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I never said that he has not been effective so how are you in dissagreement? When he has played 3-down football in the past he has been overwhelmed. Some guys just take a while to get it all figured out.
Sponsored links
Old 11-28-2004   #28
georgewashington
Veteran

Quote:
I never said that he has not been effective so how are you in dissagreement? When he has played 3-down football in the past he has been overwhelmed. Some guys just take a while to get it all figured out.
Thats my point, you judge how he has developed and where he is by the past. He hasnt been overwhelmed this season. He has had a few chances to get extended playing time, and he has done well. Why stop giving the guy chances when he hasnt done anything THIS season to say he doesnt deserve it. and by saying him playing would be at the expense of the team means you would assume he wouldnt do well and the team would suffer because of it.
Old 11-28-2004   #29
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Grid nailed it.. Peek has the fire and motor that we like on the defensive side, Yet that same motor gets reved up alittle to high at times and he plays a little out of control..IMO
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004   #30
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewashington
Thats my point, you judge how he has developed and where he is by the past.
How else am I going to judge him? On imaginary play? Of course I judge him on his past.

Quote:
He hasnt been overwhelmed this season. He has had a few chances to get extended playing time, and he has done well. Why stop giving the guy chances when he hasnt done anything THIS season to say he doesnt deserve it.
Probably because Wong plays the weakside OLB more efficiently than Peek does at this time and beat him out for the starter position in camp. Peek and Babin play different positions.
Old 11-28-2004   #31
AndreJ
All Pro

Yeah Peek is a ROLB and Babin is a LOLB. for some reason that just where he's been rushing the QB from. Wong is playing way to well for ne1 to take his spot right now he's doing it all.
Old 11-28-2004   #32
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
Yeah Peek is a ROLB and Babin is a LOLB. for some reason that just where he's been rushing the QB from.
That's because the Texans have two "speed-rush" type linebackers. Peek and Wong. When you go to a max rush look you pull Babin and put in Peek. It would be foolish to pull the first or second best pass rushing OLB.
Old 11-28-2004   #33
SESupergenius

Peek is doing just fine where he is at. He is our Terrell Suggs, a situational pass rusher. It will be his 3rd year next year and this is when he will shine. But Babin is playing excellently because he is good at the attack and is learning to cover zone.
Old 11-28-2004   #34
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24423 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Not to take anything away from Peek's sack (it was an awesome sack), but just 2 plays earlier, Babin almost had a sack. The only difference was that McNair had slid over to the outside of the left tackle. Babin got there just one step too late. Had McNair stayed in the pocket like he did when Peek sacked him, Babin would've made the blind side sack & might've caused a fumble himself. Then, I guess everyone would be singing his praises instead.

To touch on a subject that I brought up a while back in regards to whether or not Babin could play the SS position, I wonder if the coaches have ever given any thought to inserting Babin or Peek into the SS position, with the other one at OLB in an all out blitze situation? Imagine Wong, Peek, & Babin in an all out safety blitz. That would be some serious speed & meat coming at you. That'd be an interesting play to run on occasion.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #35
georgewashington
Veteran

Neither could play SS, and putting them in a situation like that would make an obvious audible for the QB. THey would simply throw a quick out or slant and we would get burnt. And yes babin did get in to McNaire right before Peeks sack. The point is that this team does not use Peek enough. He didnt get out there until the 4th quarter. Why not let him out there all game long in passing downs, why not rotate him in a series to give breathers to wong and babin. Fresh legs win games. You have a future kevin greene in babin, and a future jerry porter in peek. use it.
Old 11-29-2004   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
You have a future kevin greene in babin, and a future jerry porter in peek. use it.
Joey Porter is the linebacker. Jerry is the WR in Oakland. I think you have the Sunday night game on the brain.
Old 11-29-2004   #37
bruenice
Rookie

I'm with george in the aspect that it seems some people are finally congratulating Peek on his play. Those who say that he plays with too much enthusiasm must realize that he only gets 4-5 plays on defense to show his worth. If a rotation was used and he got 30-35 snaps a game I don't think that would be an issue. Plus, I've never heard a complaint of a player playing with a lot of enthusiasm, you typically hear complaints about players coming out flat.
A lot of people are right about losing Peek if there isn't an increase in playing time. There are too many other teams out there that realize that you must utilize a number of players on defense in order to keep them fresh in hopes of them not getting beat on a play.
As far as progress goes, sure there is a lot of work that gets done in practice. But, in all reality there's not going to be a lot of game-speed drills and 11-on-11 drills in your typical NFL practice. There's only 2-3 days a week of true practice anyhow. So many have made the case that Babin deserves to get his learning curve on the field. If that's the case, then why isn't Peek just as deserving?
bruenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #38
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

because peek wasnt a first round pick.. but mostly because peek did not win the position in the off season.

And the arguement isnt that he is too enthusiastic.. not really anyway. The arguement is that he makes mental mistakes. He can really shine when you line him up and tell him to go get a QB.. but what about in coverage? what about in the run?

And yah, we could switch him out on certain downs.. but we are we going to take out? Wong? our best cover LB? or Babin? our young guy who needs the experience.

*shrug*.. if the coaches feel he isnt ready to start yet.. then he isnt ready to start yet. Im sure he will have another chance to win the position next year though.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #39
Shotgun30
Rookie

I agree with Vinny!
Shotgun30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #40
bruenice
Rookie

I guess I'm just wondering what mental mistakes you have seen him make. I do recall the jumping offsides at the end of the game in overtime, but a touchdown was scored so it was a moot point.
I do think that Babin has shown improvement, but the argument that he is much better against the run just isn't holding water with me. Call me stubborn or whatever. Peek deserves more playing time that's it. Who he goes in for is simple, rotate the OLBs so that they aren't dragging @ss at the end of the game.
bruenice is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read