Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2008   #1
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default YouTube: Z Report with Lance Zierlein and Kailee Wong

This is a very good video about zone blocking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvtJHq_0YvA
Old 02-02-2008   #2
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: YouTube: Z Report with Lance Zierlein and Kailee Wong

I watched the video on youtube and then it had additional videos of Kalie and one was of his reaction to cup chicks.

So I said, what the hell is a cup chick.

I went online and looked it up and found a site.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................dude, not cool.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #3
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I watched the video on youtube and then it had additional videos of Kalie and one was of his reaction to cup chicks.

So I said, what the hell is a cup chick.

I went online and looked it up and found a site.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ........................................dude, not cool.
ROFL!!! You've never heard of 2girls1cup?! It's the sickest thing I've ever seen. You should really go see "DickChop" OMG. >.< That's even worse.

EDIT: I saw the reaction vid you were talking about. I read on one of the comments that it looked like he enjoyed it. Rofl, I have to agree with that.
Old 02-02-2008   #4
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected

They were discussing cut blocking, and how the Nose Tackle couldn't be engaged. Now, a cut block is where the offensive lineman blocks the defensive player in the back of the leg, right? And it's a penalty if the lineman is engaged with an Offensive lineman, correct? Just asking for clarification. Aren't cut blocks generally regarded as cheap, dirty blocks? (remembering the Travis Johnson block)
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #5
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
They were discussing cut blocking, and how the Nose Tackle couldn't be engaged. Now, a cut block is where the offensive lineman blocks the defensive player in the back of the leg, right? And it's a penalty if the lineman is engaged with an Offensive lineman, correct? Just asking for clarification. Aren't cut blocks generally regarded as cheap, dirty blocks? (remembering the Travis Johnson block)
The Trent Green block was reguarded as cheap by TJ because TJ was running at full speed when Green decided to try to cut block him. At least, that's what I gathered out of it.

But I think by defensive players, ALL cut blocks are cheap.
Old 02-03-2008   #6
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

A cut is anything below the knees but it has to be done from the front side (inside a 180 degree arc on the blocked player's front side). Cuts are never legal when a DL is engaged with another blocker. Those are called chop blocks. DLs hate all forms of cuts for obvious reasons.

Blocking from the back (clipping) is legal in close line play if it's above the knees. Cuts from the backside are always illegal. Crackback blocks are blocks from behind by a player like a WR coming back inside to block from a position outside the TE or tackle.

Cut blocks are not legal on plays like kickoff and punt returns due to the speed at which the players are running. That's the reason for TJ's gripe. He was in the open field running full speed (similar conditions to a kickoff pursuit in terms of force on knee potential).

Cut blocks are also illegal on WRs after they cross the line of scrimmage (defenders can only engage above the waist, not in the face, and for only 5 yards).

If you look this stuff up on Google or wherever, you will see all kinds of mixing of terminology - especially cuts and chops, so I usually lean toward the NFL rule book on this kind of stuff.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #7
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

OK that is just wrong, I had to look up what a cup chick was, thank god I did not see a video of it.

Sponsored links
Old 02-05-2008   #8
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

After hearing Lance Zierlein dry-heaving on the air for several minutes after viewing cupchicks, you would have thought I would be wise enough to let it go.....

Nope. I had to look for myself. I had to shut it down after about 20 seconds. Not good. Not good.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #9
AnthonyE 
Lurker

I think I own the record.

I've seen it twice!

Once as like "wtf's all the hubub, bub?" and then next time as a prank...

I had to be there just so he would let his guard down.
Old 02-05-2008   #10
SuperTexan
Rookie

Great stuff. Lance and Kailee really broke it down. I'll give Lance this. I think he has changed the way that many football fans here in Houston think and talk about football. I know that I've learned much more from his blog than anything McClain has ever had. I pick stuff up just reading the comments section and his answers to questions. I strongly recommend this video.
SuperTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's a link to the video, along with a discussion of Gibbs, his effect on the Texans, and offensive line acquisition needs.

Zone Blocking Schemes: A YouTube Tutorial

Most of the information may be stuff you already know, and maybe some of it isn't. I try to write the blog in a way that Texans fans will get something out of it, but also to educate the world at large about the Texans. (Lots of the national stuff isn't very accurate, so I try to help out some with things).

The offseason is long, isn't it?
Old 02-06-2008   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Here's a link to the video, along with a discussion of Gibbs, his effect on the Texans, and offensive line acquisition needs.

Zone Blocking Schemes: A YouTube Tutorial

Most of the information may be stuff you already know, and maybe some of it isn't. I try to write the blog in a way that Texans fans will get something out of it, but also to educate the world at large about the Texans. (Lots of the national stuff isn't very accurate, so I try to help out some with things).

The offseason is long, isn't it?

The offseason is so long that most of the people around here are going to 2girls1cup for their entertainment.

I like the idea of all this zone blocking, but one thing that I'm not sure of is how long it'll take Alex Gibbs to fully implement his system to where the team will average over 110 yds rushing a game? Will it be next season where we will see a big jump in our run game? Season after that? How long do you guys think it'll take before we own the ground game?
Old 02-06-2008   #13
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
The offseason is so long that most of the people around here are going to 2girls1cup for their entertainment.

I like the idea of all this zone blocking, but one thing that I'm not sure of is how long it'll take Alex Gibbs to fully implement his system to where the team will average over 110 yds rushing a game? Will it be next season where we will see a big jump in our run game? Season after that? How long do you guys think it'll take before we own the ground game?
rofl!

I'm hoping next season, but I think our goals for the season are just to have it adequate enough to run a successful offense.
Old 02-06-2008   #14
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Great video (not 2girls1cup). It's amazing seeing the progression of the blocks and how the play should unfold. I'm really excited to see this team when our line finally gets it.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

At this point we have more questions than answers. I think a lot of it depends on who they acquire in the offseason on the line and at running back.

They are throwing a lot of players at the center position hoping one sticks.
The right guard position is a huge question mark after the unfortunate (and really bad) injury to Fred Weary.
Left tackle knows the scheme but is old.
Left guard should be able to run it.

Gibbs had a lot of imperfect guys running the ZBS in Atlanta and was able to run the ball. With the Texans, he also has Kubiak/Shanahan/Pariani who are all on the same page, so the learning curve will be less here than in Atlanta.

I think Gibbs will be able to throw together something on the line. I am double plus curious to see what happens at running back. I'm guessing we draft someone and then throw more guys that way to see what sticks. I don't see Green being okay (and with Sherman gone, his big benefit of knowing the power system goes away). Dayne though try hard, can't stay healthy. Taylor is a question mark. And Walker is a question mark.
Old 02-06-2008   #16
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Stuff about our roster and coaching staff.
All good stuff. I think that RG is going end up being held by Mike Brisiel as the coaching staff seems really high on him. I liked what I saw in his limited time playing, so that makes me feel better about that position. With C getting a lot of bodies thrown that way at the beginning, I'm seeing a competition like wideouts had last year. This creates a better center than what we had last year as we were stuck with Mike Flannagan when McKinney went down. This year, we've got some young bodies coming into town, and I think that injuries won't play as much hell with this spot as they did last year. With the LG you know Pitts is going to be in there barring some sort of catastrophe between now and the beginning of September. That's the front 3 and pretty much I couldn't be happier about those guys. Weary will either have plenty of time to heal and come back prepared, or not at all, and while I don't have anything against Weary I wouldn't be heartbroken if he was on another team at the beginning of the season either.

Which brings us to the Tackles. RT isn't even worth discussing because we know who will be there. LT is pretty much the most interesting spot on the line. We've got 4 guys that could compete for the starting spot which sounds good. Until you realize that the most likely player to start is a 35 (I believe) year old player who has been in the league well over 10 years, and is pretty much a stop gap. Ephraim Salaam, as lovable as he is, doesn't get paid like other LT's because he's just a backup. He gets beaten entirely too often by speed rushers, and pretty much is below average. And that's our best bet. Then we have Jordan Black who didn't even crack the field, and I couldn't imagine coming back for another campaign with the Texans. After that we're rolling in project-town with Brandon Frye whom we haven't seen at all. Having a guy that green playing at LT scares the bejesus out of me, especially being in the same division as Dwight Freeney and Kyle Vanden Bosch. Oh yeah, and an injured Charles Spencer. I think that even if Spencer is healthy this year, his contributions to the Texans are probably going to be rather nil as he still hasn't played that much pro football.

Of course, the LT position is the one we haven't filled in the last two years and I think that should be the one that really gets the hardest look over the next several months. It seems to be the one that gets us beaten the most (I believe Schaub got sacked on his blindside more than other side or up the middle), and I would love to see a guy who could hold his own on an island against a speed rusher, or a bull rusher. Yes, the LT spot scares me the most.

For some reason the RB situation doesn't give me the willies nearly as bad as the LT spot. For a few reasons.
  • Ahman Green doesn't have to be healthy for our running game to work this coming season. I think that he will end up healthy next year, and possibly starting, and having a giant "Screw you" type season to all the people that bagged on him this past year for being injured. Even if he doesn't do that though, we aren't up the creek like we were last season.
  • Ron Dayne is not a great back, but he's still decent enough to give guys like Walker and Taylor a break during a game. He can also do well enough when the Texans have a comfortable lead and want to grind out the clock. He'll be on the roster next year (unless somebody just has to sign him away from us), and I imagine that he'll contribute.
  • Darius Walker is still a huge question mark along with Chris Taylor, but I think that either guy could be retained on the roster for cheap, and be effective. They might be relegated to "change of pace" status, and only see a small amount of carries, but now that we know that Walker isn't horrible behind our line, we have a little more wiggle room and don't have to worry about running Ron Dayne all game long (Big guys need breaks too).
  • The draft this year is so deep with talent at the RB position that you would think, even if we did not draft an RB, we'd be able to find one as an UDFA. If there is one thing that our current GM does, and does well, it's draft, and make something out of nothing when it comes to street FA's.

So yeah, that's what I think about the offensive line and running game. Now, what Gibbs thinks of it, I'm sure that will be what really will make or break this team next year. If we are able to handle the stout defensive lines in the AFC South, then we should be able to win a few other games no problem. Honestly, our first litmus test will be against a team like the Jags or the Titans (especially those guys).
Old 02-06-2008   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Which brings us to the Tackles. RT isn't even worth discussing because we know who will be there. LT is pretty much the most interesting spot on the line. We've got 4 guys that could compete for the starting spot which sounds good. Until you realize that the most likely player to start is a 35 (I believe) year old player who has been in the league well over 10 years, and is pretty much a stop gap. Ephraim Salaam, as lovable as he is, doesn't get paid like other LT's because he's just a backup. He gets beaten entirely too often by speed rushers, and pretty much is below average. And that's our best bet. Then we have Jordan Black who didn't even crack the field, and I couldn't imagine coming back for another campaign with the Texans. After that we're rolling in project-town with Brandon Frye whom we haven't seen at all. Having a guy that green playing at LT scares the bejesus out of me, especially being in the same division as Dwight Freeney and Kyle Vanden Bosch. Oh yeah, and an injured Charles Spencer. I think that even if Spencer is healthy this year, his contributions to the Texans are probably going to be rather nil as he still hasn't played that much pro football.

Of course, the LT position is the one we haven't filled in the last two years and I think that should be the one that really gets the hardest look over the next several months. It seems to be the one that gets us beaten the most (I believe Schaub got sacked on his blindside more than other side or up the middle), and I would love to see a guy who could hold his own on an island against a speed rusher, or a bull rusher. Yes, the LT spot scares me the most.

You bring up a guy I do not see even being here for OTAs, Black. I would be very shocked if he is not cut next Monday. February 11 is the first day teams can cut players.

Come on bong, you always seemed to have a better grasp than this. The team has made moves to establish a prototypical Gibbs line, they have just not played them all yet.

1st is as you said Winston, an athletic RT, should be our base. We agree here. RG, I did not see Weary being resigned before the injury, yes he was the best power blocker we had, but he is 30 years old. I would like to get younger at each spot. So we kinda agree here that Weary is gone.

Salaam is a known entity, he can man the position to the way Gibbs wants it played, he is the starter until....

Now look at the moves that Smith has made this last year. He picked up Rashad Butler, 290lb LT prospect. Played at Miami with Winston. Had a health issue that seems to be under control, will get a shot at OTAs and minicamp. If he can stay healthy and show the quickness he showed in college he might be the guy at LT (or the future guy). Worse case he is the backup swing tackle. He had passed Black and was active where Black was not.

Frye, was moved to guard. We do not know where he stands, but he and Studdard where talked about by name by Kubiak when he talked about getting some of the young guys game time. So this points to a guy the coaches are happy with.

I believe Briesel, Frye and Studdard will all be given a chance to start at RG. Also a guy that was signed and missed by many is Dan Stevenson, 6-5 300er from Notre Dame. He will be heading into his 3rd year. Could be a wild card.

Speaking of Briesel, remember he played OC in NFL Europa. He will be given a shot there also IMO. White had a bad break also, so not sure when and if he returns. The OC in the ZBS is the most important guy. He has to be quick and technique wise perfect. I do not see this as a spot for McKinney anymore, he will have a tough road to get his job back IMO.

But did you notice the December 19 signing of Greg Eslinger? He is the 2005 Outland Trophy winner, an undersized quick technique guy. He has battled shoulder injury and deep roster in his 2 NFL stops. Maybe Rick Smith found a gold nugget here.

An OL of Butler, Pitts, Eslinger, Frye, Winston is not out of the question with Gibbs at the helm. Briesel and Salaam would be the chief backups. I could even see Pitts being in the fight of his career this season as he adjust to the new style of play. Gibbs want attitude and Pitts has not shown a lot of fire yet.

Anyway this will be a fun offseason. And BTW I am not calling for this lineup, simple pointing out the team could be in position to play an entirely different style of blocking with a different set of guys that already are on the roster. Guys that have already gone through an NFL offseason with Dan Riley. Have seen NFL game time. I can't wait.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
You bring up a guy I do not see even being here for OTAs, Black. I would be very shocked if he is not cut next Monday. February 11 is the first day teams can cut players.

Come on bong, you always seemed to have a better grasp than this. The team has made moves to establish a prototypical Gibbs line, they have just not played them all yet.

1st is as you said Winston, an athletic RT, should be our base. We agree here. RG, I did not see Weary being resigned before the injury, yes he was the best power blocker we had, but he is 30 years old. I would like to get younger at each spot. So we kinda agree here that Weary is gone.

Salaam is a known entity, he can man the position to the way Gibbs wants it played, he is the starter until....

Now look at the moves that Smith has made this last year. He picked up Rashad Butler, 290lb LT prospect. Played at Miami with Winston. Had a health issue that seems to be under control, will get a shot at OTAs and minicamp. If he can stay healthy and show the quickness he showed in college he might be the guy at LT (or the future guy). Worse case he is the backup swing tackle. He had passed Black and was active where Black was not.

Frye, was moved to guard. We do not know where he stands, but he and Studdard where talked about by name by Kubiak when he talked about getting some of the young guys game time. So this points to a guy the coaches are happy with.

I believe Briesel, Frye and Studdard will all be given a chance to start at RG. Also a guy that was signed and missed by many is Dan Stevenson, 6-5 300er from Notre Dame. He will be heading into his 3rd year. Could be a wild card.

Speaking of Briesel, remember he played OC in NFL Europa. He will be given a shot there also IMO. White had a bad break also, so not sure when and if he returns. The OC in the ZBS is the most important guy. He has to be quick and technique wise perfect. I do not see this as a spot for McKinney anymore, he will have a tough road to get his job back IMO.

But did you notice the December 19 signing of Greg Eslinger? He is the 2005 Outland Trophy winner, an undersized quick technique guy. He has battled shoulder injury and deep roster in his 2 NFL stops. Maybe Rick Smith found a gold nugget here.

An OL of Butler, Pitts, Eslinger, Frye, Winston is not out of the question with Gibbs at the helm. Briesel and Salaam would be the chief backups. I could even see Pitts being in the fight of his career this season as he adjust to the new style of play. Gibbs want attitude and Pitts has not shown a lot of fire yet.

Anyway this will be a fun offseason. And BTW I am not calling for this lineup, simple pointing out the team could be in position to play an entirely different style of blocking with a different set of guys that already are on the roster. Guys that have already gone through an NFL offseason with Dan Riley. Have seen NFL game time. I can't wait.
You're correct that I forgot about Butler, but again, I'm just not sure. I think he's got a better chance at being on the team than Black does come TC time, but then again, they could just keep Black on for fodder purposes. I didn't mention Eslinger because I sort of lumped all the Centers together. This is the position I'm least worried about because of Eslinger, Okobi, White, McKinney, and Flannagan (And possibly Stevenson too). I think that a 6 way competition for a spot will give us at least an average center that will be the person of Gibbs's choosing. I feel that Center will be the most important role for the zone blocking scheme that we will employ, BUT, I also feel that they have added enough bodies and talent to the position that it is one we really probably won't discuss anymore until OTA's and TC.

See we're pretty much in agreement, except that I forgot Butler. I'm not sure what the Texans do with this young man, as it's tough for me to think that he's going to just start at LT come 1st regular season game. Of course as soon as I think that, I remember that they did start Charles Spencer as a rook straight to LT so who knows. But I think our future LT is probably going to be old-man Salaam and his trusty sidekick Butler/Spencer/Black/Draftee. Really and truly I think LT is the biggest need on this line, zone blocking or not. The Center spot looks good, the Guard spots could be a little shaky (Depending on how White recovers, if we retain Weary, and how the new guys do), but the left tackle spot is a spot filled with missed assignments and QB beatdowns. If I had to guess right now at what our line would be for our first game, on February 6th, 2008 I'd think it'd have to go like this:

Salaam-Pitts-Eslinger-Brisiel-Winston

I think we would keep Weary while he heals, keep McKinney because he's still somewhat capable, keep Studdard and Frye because the coaches really haven't alluded to anything about them, so no news is good news. I think Butler is a swing tackle, and I think they hope Spencer can come back and fill in during emergencies and garbage time. This leaves us a little light on the Tackle position, but we always seem light there anyway.

Now, to put it back on you, how do you see our line shaking out this early into the offseason?
Old 02-07-2008   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
You're correct that I forgot about Butler, but again, I'm just not sure. I think he's got a better chance at being on the team than Black does come TC time, but then again, they could just keep Black on for fodder purposes. I didn't mention Eslinger because I sort of lumped all the Centers together. This is the position I'm least worried about because of Eslinger, Okobi, White, McKinney, and Flannagan (And possibly Stevenson too). I think that a 6 way competition for a spot will give us at least an average center that will be the person of Gibbs's choosing. I feel that Center will be the most important role for the zone blocking scheme that we will employ, BUT, I also feel that they have added enough bodies and talent to the position that it is one we really probably won't discuss anymore until OTA's and TC.

See we're pretty much in agreement, except that I forgot Butler. I'm not sure what the Texans do with this young man, as it's tough for me to think that he's going to just start at LT come 1st regular season game. Of course as soon as I think that, I remember that they did start Charles Spencer as a rook straight to LT so who knows. But I think our future LT is probably going to be old-man Salaam and his trusty sidekick Butler/Spencer/Black/Draftee. Really and truly I think LT is the biggest need on this line, zone blocking or not. The Center spot looks good, the Guard spots could be a little shaky (Depending on how White recovers, if we retain Weary, and how the new guys do), but the left tackle spot is a spot filled with missed assignments and QB beatdowns. If I had to guess right now at what our line would be for our first game, on February 6th, 2008 I'd think it'd have to go like this:

Salaam-Pitts-Eslinger-Brisiel-Winston

I think we would keep Weary while he heals, keep McKinney because he's still somewhat capable, keep Studdard and Frye because the coaches really haven't alluded to anything about them, so no news is good news. I think Butler is a swing tackle, and I think they hope Spencer can come back and fill in during emergencies and garbage time. This leaves us a little light on the Tackle position, but we always seem light there anyway.

Now, to put it back on you, how do you see our line shaking out this early into the offseason?

I am more worried about the center position than you are.

Sometimes when you throw a lot of bodies at one position, what it really means is you don't have anyone that can really be the man. (see e.g. Texans running back position, secondary, wide receiver). Sometimes, an unexpected guy can show you something (i.e. Andre Davis), but I don't stop worrying about a position until I see that the play on the field.

Center is a difficult position for a number of reasons. It is critical to the ZBS and it is position difficult for inexperienced guys to excel at. You want a guy that is smart, athletic and a leader. That there's quite the learning curve and things can look ugly while that learning is happening.

Interestingly, though Kubiak did not mention the center position in his end of the year presser, Bob McNair did in his video talking about prospects that they were looking at.
Old 02-07-2008   #20
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansFanatic View Post
After hearing Lance Zierlein dry-heaving on the air for several minutes after viewing cupchicks, you would have thought I would be wise enough to let it go.....

Nope. I had to look for myself. I had to shut it down after about 20 seconds. Not good. Not good.
LMAO.... He dry-heaved for so long that I started getting sick to my stomach listening to him..

and ditto..............

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read