Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-02-2008   #1
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dolphins again.

For some reason, I thought we played the Raiders this year at home. But I got my invoice today for my season tickets and the brochure stated that we play the Dolphins. This will be the third year in a row. I'm assuming we play the Raiders on the Road.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #2
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: Dolphins again.

Yeah.

This is the third year in a row playing the Raiders away, too.

I'm not sure why.
Old 02-02-2008   #3
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42267 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Yeah.

This is the third year in a row playing the Raiders away, too.

I'm not sure why.
Its all about where you finished in your division. The Dolphins, Raiders, and Texans keep finishing last.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #4
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Its all about where you finished in your division. The Dolphins, Raiders, and Texans keep finishing last.
Why have we been playing the dolphins at home and the raiders away each of those years, though?
Old 02-03-2008   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 192005 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Why have we been playing the dolphins at home and the raiders away each of those years, though?
Because of how the schedules were pre-determined.

Last year, we played the Raiders because we were playing the AFC West. We play the AFC West every 3 years and we alternate each of those years, home/away. The year before, we played the Dolphins because we were playing the AFC East. The other two times we played them, we were playing because we were each last in our respective divisions. Where those games were played had already been pre-set but not because of who the opponents (Houston/Oakland, Houston/Miami) but because of where the opponents were in their divisions (Last of AFC South vs. Last of AFC West/East.) When they set those schedules up during re-alignment, they weren't expect the same teams to finish last every year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #6
ubecool454
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1157 ubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respectedubecool454 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Because of how the schedules were pre-determined.

Last year, we played the Raiders because we were playing the AFC West. We play the AFC West every 3 years and we alternate each of those years, home/away. The year before, we played the Dolphins because we were playing the AFC East. The other two times we played them, we were playing because we were each last in our respective divisions. Where those games were played had already been pre-set but not because of who the opponents (Houston/Oakland, Houston/Miami) but because of where the opponents were in their divisions (Last of AFC South vs. Last of AFC West/East.) When they set those schedules up during re-alignment, they weren't expect the same teams to finish last every year.
good explanation...you guys got it? Its clear as mud..lol..
ubecool454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Cleveland is another frequent opponent that's been driven by a combination of scheduling formula and place finish over the past several years.

I'd rather play Oakland and Miami than San Diego and New England. Well get enough tough games to provide an adequate measuring stick.

Someone asked this same question wrt the Browns a few weeks ago. This explanation basically works the same for the Raiders, Dolphins and Browns as our opponents:

http://texanstalk.com/forums/showpos...2&postcount=15

Last edited by aj.; 02-03-2008 at 09:32 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2008   #8
sakebomb
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1859 sakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respectedsakebomb is a quality contributor and well respected

I would rather be playing NE and San Diego every year. It would mean we were finishing first in our division.
Old 02-03-2008   #9
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 42174 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

And in '09 we will play the Dolphins again for a 4th year in a row, this time at their place. And it's possible that we play the Raiders again, at Reliant. That's only if the Raiders and Texans finish in the same spot in the standings.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
And in '09 we will play the Dolphins again for a 4th year in a row, this time at their place. And it's possible that we play the Raiders again, at Reliant. That's only if the Raiders and Texans finish in the same spot in the standings.
I don't think the Raiders will finish first.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post
I would rather be playing NE and San Diego every year. It would mean we were finishing first in our division.
Ok then, let me be more clear and complete the thought.

I would rather play Oak and Mia in '08 than NE and SD.

I would rather play whatever the top teams are from our intra-conference matchups in '09 because it means great things happened in '08.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #12
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The scheduling is actually pretty simple:

Every year you play your 3 division opponents home and away (6 games).

Every year you play a complete division in the other conference - rotating so every four years you play every division once (4 games).

Every year you play a complete division in your own conference other than your own - rotating so every three years you play every other division once (4 games).

In the remaining two divisions in your conference (not your own, and not the one you play completely), you play the team that finished in the same spot (1-4) as you did the previous year (2 games).

I'm not sure how the home/away is determined in the final two games, but everything else rotates home/away every four or three years.

What this means is that unless and until they change the method of scheduling, you can figure out the 14 out of 16 of your matchups along with who will have home field for as many years into the future as you want to go. It also means that only 2 games are in any way shape or form impacted by how good or bad you were the previous year.
ChampionTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #13
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted the the Raiders at Reliant.
Old 02-03-2008   #14
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Rep Power: 42174 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
The scheduling is actually pretty simple:

Every year you play your 3 division opponents home and away (6 games).

Every year you play a complete division in the other conference - rotating so every four years you play every division once (4 games).

Every year you play a complete division in your own conference other than your own - rotating so every three years you play every other division once (4 games).

In the remaining two divisions in your conference (not your own, and not the one you play completely), you play the team that finished in the same spot (1-4) as you did the previous year (2 games).

I'm not sure how the home/away is determined in the final two games, but everything else rotates home/away every four or three years.

What this means is that unless and until they change the method of scheduling, you can figure out the 14 out of 16 of your matchups along with who will have home field for as many years into the future as you want to go. It also means that only 2 games are in any way shape or form impacted by how good or bad you were the previous year.
Actually, the current 8 year schedule they set up when the Texans entered the league is set to run it's course in 2009. We've known since 2002 that we'd be playing the Seahawks and 49ers at Reliant in '09. To my knowledge, there is no schedule set beyond 2009. Other than our division opponents, we don't know who will be on the schedule in 2010.

I would assume they change things up a little in that when we play the AFC East in the current setup, we've always had NE and the Jets together either on the road or home and Buffalo - Miami together the same way. Maybe they switch it up where it's NE - Miami together and Buffalo - Jets, and so on with the rest of the divisions including the NFC.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Old 02-03-2008   #15
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by raytex View Post
For some reason, I thought we played the Raiders this year at home. But I got my invoice today for my season tickets and the brochure stated that we play the Dolphins. This will be the third year in a row. I'm assuming we play the Raiders on the Road.
So, do we know the schedule too?

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #16
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

We're 4-0 against both teams the past 2 years so I can't argue against that, although I would like to see some other opponents in there or at least to change locations. Having the Raiders in Reliant like they were in 2004 was great (especially since Dunta picked off his 1st pass that game).
Old 02-03-2008   #17
stingray
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
It was just a brochure with the 2008 oppontents logos on it.
Old 02-03-2008   #18
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
The schedule, dates and times, doesn't come out 'til April.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Old 02-03-2008   #19
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I don't think the Raiders will finish first.
Rack 'em! Rep went your way.
Old 02-04-2008   #20
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 205206 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

So, let me get this straight. As the last place finishers in their division, the Dolphins get to play the last place Texans, supposedly to make their schedule easier? LOL, the last place Texans at 8-8 is kind of a kick in the teeth for the Phins, no?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read