Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-01-2008   #61
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2 gap DT free agents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think Okoye was a decision of BPA, youth and upside. I think most people are on board with Mario Williams now.

TJ had a decent year and seemed to get it. This was his second year back in the 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4. Thanks Again Dom.

Weaver was a carry over from Capers and was brought in to be a 3-4 DE. So that one isn't on Kubiak.

I think we had our hands tied last year carrying over from bad salary cap decisions. We will be in a better position this year to improve via FA is we so choose to. Looks like we're stuck with RIchard Smith again this year so I'd like to see improvement and what Richard Smith thinks what a defense should look like.

If Dom gets in Dallas I would like to offer him Weaver and Greenwood for Marcus Spears.
I agree and think we are in very good shape on Dline considering. Okoye was an answer for TJ and it seems to have worked. Weaver was not my answer when signed and has disappointed. I wished Kubes would have a TJ talk with Weaver.
Old 02-01-2008   #62
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I agree and think we are in very good shape on Dline considering. Okoye was an answer for TJ and it seems to have worked. Weaver was not my answer when signed and has disappointed. I wished Kubes would have a TJ talk with Weaver.
I think Maddux and Earl Cochran are just as good and a much better value than TJ and Weaver .

Cochran 26 = tackles and 1 sack
Weaver = 41 tackles
TJ = 41 tackles
Maddox = 16 tackles and 2 sacks

Round Dan

Last edited by Honoring Earl 34; 02-01-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #63
Polo

Weaver isn't a bad player...

I just don't think he's what we need on the other side of Mario...

Not really a good fit for us IMO, but I'm willing to see how he performs next year after having a while to get over the shoulder thingy...
Old 02-01-2008   #64
feebleminded

Rep Power: 9068 feebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respectedfeebleminded is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Weaver was a carry over from Capers and was brought in to be a 3-4 DE. So that one isn't on Kubiak.
Capers was long gone by the time Weaver was signed. You may be confused because Baltimore changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 back to a 4-3 while he was there.

The decision to sign Weaver was made because the DL on the roster were 3-4 type players. And clearly the decision was made before they decided to draft Mario Williams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364565
feebleminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #65
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by feebleminded View Post
Capers was long gone by the time Weaver was signed. You may be confused because Baltimore changed from a 4-3 to a 3-4 back to a 4-3 while he was there.

The decision to sign Weaver was made because the DL on the roster were 3-4 type players. And clearly the decision was made before they decided to draft Mario Williams.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2364565
I looked it up ... Weaver was signed 3/11/06 . Kubiak was the Coach by then .

This is a CC special ... along with Todd Wade .

Round Dan
Old 02-01-2008   #66
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I believe Weaver was the #1 or #2 rated FA DE available in FA that year he was signed.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #67
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I believe Weaver was the #1 or #2 rated FA DE available in FA that year he was signed.
I think the point is , he's fairly expensive and he plays Mario's best position .

Round Dan
Sponsored links
Old 02-03-2008   #68
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Yes, but you have not addressed my question and I value your opinion. Was it a mistake to sign Weaver, TJ, Mario and Okoye and not have any run stoppers? I mean at end of season Killings was the heaviest on roster at 310. Added to that the backers are light to fall back and cover. Was this a coaching philosophy error or just BPA? Also, are you suggesting rotating TJ and Okoye and bringing in a heavy banger at the other DT spot?
Weaver was brought in to be the strong side DE in the 43 after we converted...and he has been a disappointment (in production)...so yeah, I think it was a mistake to sigh him at that cap hit. We needed a DE to rush the passer so Mario wasn't a mistake, and we needed a 3 technique guy inside so if Okoye can show he can stop the run better in the coming seasons he wasn't a mistake either. I do think we need a guy we can play for 25 or so plays in short yardage and in goal line situations that is a space eater though. Weaver is a tweener...he is best suited for DE in a 3-4 defense imo.
Quote:
That doesn't mean anything sometimes. If you are the best of a bad FA class...that doesn't mean you are gonna be any good. It just means you are the best player in a bad group.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #69
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm sure this has been discuseed here in this thread, but moving Weaver inside to clog the running lane wouldn't be a bad idea. We all know that TJ has the ability to be a great DT in this league, but he has very little stamina and will tire by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. Can Weaver rotate in as a 2 gap DT?

First of all, some simple questions must asked....what is the staus with his shoulder? It certaintly didn't appear to be 100% last year. Is it 100% healed now? Does he favor it a little? Is he hesitent to make contact? Is he leading with his helmet too much? These are big questions that the Texans must answer if we're going to get any significant production out of Weaver.

FYI, I supported the signing of Weaver but admittingly, I'm disappointed in his production like most people.

Last edited by BSofA04; 02-03-2008 at 04:41 PM.
BSofA04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #70
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I'm sure this has been discuseed here in this thread, but moving Weaver inside to clog the running lane wouldn't be a bad idea. We all know that TJ has the ability to be a great DT in this league, but he has very little stamina and will tire by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. The biggest question I have is his shoulder. Is it 100% healed? Does he favor it a little? Is he hesitent to make contact? Is he leading with his helmet too much? These are big questions that the Texans must answer if we're going to get any significant production out of Weaver.

FYI, I supported the signing of Weaver but admittingly, I'm disappointed in his production like most people.
Weaver couldn't play DT when Okoye was in. Those two together vs a run sounds like disaster. We need a beefier DT to be on the field when Okoye is out there, someone to eat the guard and center up.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #71
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Weaver couldn't play DT when Okoye was in. Those two together vs a run sounds like disaster. We need a beefier DT to be on the field when Okoye is out there, someone to eat the guard and center up.
I'm sure that my statement would be dependent on Okoye's advancement in year #2. So I agree with you, at this point it would be a disaster. It's a matter of getting contributions from a guy who's making some significant $$$$. Maybe more effective as a DT?? Who knows. As far as a DE, he seems slow. I know he can be better, but his health SHOULD be questioned this offseason.
Old 02-07-2008   #72
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8759 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thus the reason Im totally against signing big money FA...
Old 02-07-2008   #73
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
I'm sure this has been discuseed here in this thread, but moving Weaver inside to clog the running lane wouldn't be a bad idea. We all know that TJ has the ability to be a great DT in this league, but he has very little stamina and will tire by the time the 4th quarter rolls around. Can Weaver rotate in as a 2 gap DT?

First of all, some simple questions must asked....what is the staus with his shoulder? It certaintly didn't appear to be 100% last year. Is it 100% healed now? Does he favor it a little? Is he hesitent to make contact? Is he leading with his helmet too much? These are big questions that the Texans must answer if we're going to get any significant production out of Weaver.

He is not the right size to play DT. And he hates playing DT and only played it when the Texans have few alternatives at that position.

I think it is good of you to bring up the situation with Weaver's shoulder. He apparently had TWO surgeries on it. Functioning shoulders are a pretty important thing for a defensive lineman. And the shoulders can be tricky to come back from. Hard to say what Weaver's 2007 would have been like had he been more functioning.

Generally speaking, teams will be able to keep the free agents they really want to keep because teams have figured the cap, and you have to hope you luck out getting a guy who is a good fit with the other guys you already have.
Old 02-12-2008   #74
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
He is not the right size to play DT. And he hates playing DT and only played it when the Texans have few alternatives at that position.

I think it is good of you to bring up the situation with Weaver's shoulder. He apparently had TWO surgeries on it. Functioning shoulders are a pretty important thing for a defensive lineman. And the shoulders can be tricky to come back from. Hard to say what Weaver's 2007 would have been like had he been more functioning.

Generally speaking, teams will be able to keep the free agents they really want to keep because teams have figured the cap, and you have to hope you luck out getting a guy who is a good fit with the other guys you already have.
after the knees, the shoulders do most big guys in as it pertains to lineplay since after a good base, you have to be able to torque and punch those big 300+ pounders on the line. Heck, the shoulder is easy to hurt simply by lifting weights improperly since there are three heads that balance out this delicate joint...I have known a ton of lifters that had bad shoulders over the years. Tony Boselli may still be playing if not for his bad shoulders.

Old 02-12-2008   #75
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
after the knees, the shoulders do most big guys in as it pertains to lineplay since after a good base, you have to be able to torque and punch those big 300+ pounders on the line. Heck, the shoulder is easy to hurt simply by lifting weights improperly since there are three heads that balance out this delicate joint...I have known a ton of lifters that had bad shoulders over the years. Tony Boselli may still be playing if not for his bad shoulders.
Trying to impress on the bench press. Number 1 enemy of shoulder health.
Old 02-12-2008   #76
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

How about Corey Williams, Packers 6040 313 DT?

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs...802120468/1989

here are his numbers

http://www.packers.com/team/players/williams_corey/
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #77
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

TexanSeminole threw out Keith Traylor. At first I thought he was so old there was no chance, but he would be a good DT to throw in on running situations. The guy is 6'2" and 340 lbs!! He's a monster.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008   #78
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
TexanSeminole threw out Keith Traylor. At first I thought he was so old...
He is so old (39 by Week 1). But, Traylor is a former Bronco. So there's always a chance.
Old 02-12-2008   #79
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
TexanSeminole threw out Keith Traylor. At first I thought he was so old there was no chance, but he would be a good DT to throw in on running situations. The guy is 6'2" and 340 lbs!! He's a monster.
he's closer to 370 than 340...and he is nearly 40 years old. Old and fat isn't a good combination in pro sports.

Old 02-12-2008   #80
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
he's closer to 370 than 340...and he is nearly 40 years old. Old and fat isn't a good combination in pro sports.
Except baseball.

Signed,
David Wells
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read