Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-01-2008   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2 gap DT free agents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I say lets sign Hakuhō Shō to be our 2 gap DT.
In case you don't know who he is he is a 22 year old sumo wrestler(a Yokozuna no less). He is 6'4 340. A sumo wrestler needs to know about how to push one guy out of a ring. I bet we could teach him how to eat space and push around 2 guys.

Added bonus: he is Mongolian, so we have opened a whole new Texans market!
Here he is.
See I agree but I would have him turn around and let his bare a-- face the offense. In that get up, the O line would just faint.
Old 02-01-2008   #42
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have not read the whole thread but anyone suggest trading TJ for Rogers straight up ?

TJ and Okoye are to much alike to me .

Rogers is listed at 340 but he'd lose 20 lbs in Houston just walking to the field .
Old 02-01-2008   #43
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I have not read the whole thread but anyone suggest trading TJ for Rogers straight up ?

Rogers is listed at 340 but he'd lose 20 lbs in Houston just walking to the field .
I am confused over where this change for a dline that pressures the QB is coming from? I am down with have DTs that can rush the passer or stuff the RB, but few DTs do both. I thought the mantra was "Get to the QB(insert Peyton here)"?
Old 02-01-2008   #44
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I am confused over where this change for a dline that pressures the QB is coming from? I am down with have DTs that can rush the passer or stuff the RB, but few DTs do both. I thought the mantra was "Get to the QB(insert Peyton here)"?
If you can't stop the run it doesn't matter if you can rush the QB well.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #45
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Rogers is an interesting situation. They are unhappy with his contract and his work ethic and his weight. Had a drug suspension (allegedly appetite suppressants). He is a guy with signficiant Houston area ties.

That being said, Detroit claims they won't cut him despite media reports that say different--they will listen to offers.

Just off the top of my head, I can't imagine a straight up TJ-Rogers trade working out at all. Detroit wouldn't be interested in that, and the numbers wouldn't work for the Texans, especially adding a guy with a questioned work ethic.
Old 02-01-2008   #46
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The most interesting part of the recent Kubiak/McClain video was the talk about building a defense for our division.

Because it isn't just Peyton. As he was talking about, you have to build to win in the entire division because it is so competitive and that's the only way you are going to make playoffs. Yeah, you need to stop Manning, but two teams in our division are run first ball control offenses. And defense becomes so important in the playoffs.

So, as I see it:

Against the Colts: Need to disrupt Manning and receiver timing. You need a smart secondary. You need a running game to keep him off the field. You need to be able to stop the run if they get a lead.

Against the Jags: Need to stop the run. Need disciplined defense. Need CBs who can matchup against tall receivers.

Against the Titans: Need to stop the run. Need disciplined defense. Need an offense that doesn't bail out the Titans by giving them short fields with turnovers.

The Texans secondary woes are just so obvious because of the big plays, but the lack of a consistent run defense is death by a thousand cuts.
Old 02-01-2008   #47
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
The most interesting part of the recent Kubiak/McClain video was the talk about building a defense for our division.

Because it isn't just Peyton. As he was talking about, you have to build to win in the entire division because it is so competitive and that's the only way you are going to make playoffs. Yeah, you need to stop Manning, but two teams in our division are run first ball control offenses. And defense becomes so important in the playoffs.

So, as I see it:

Against the Colts: Need to disrupt Manning and receiver timing. You need a smart secondary. You need a running game to keep him off the field. You need to be able to stop the run if they get a lead.

Against the Jags: Need to stop the run. Need disciplined defense. Need CBs who can matchup against tall receivers.

Against the Titans: Need to stop the run. Need disciplined defense. Need an offense that doesn't bail out the Titans by giving them short fields with turnovers.

The Texans secondary woes are just so obvious because of the big plays, but the lack of a consistent run defense is death by a thousand cuts.
And I agree with this and was very happy when I read Kubes POV. I ,too, think the focus for now is not the Colts. But here's what I need help with; our linebacker defense is predicated on the will and sam being able to drop back into coverage. Not saying that who we have is best at that but that is the program. Weaver as well as Okoye and Mario were chosen to disrupt the passer; not stuff the run. Travis Johnson, I had no idea why he was drafted but now he fills the same function. With exception of Demeco, who else was brought aboard to stop the run? No one. We've gotten what we bought. Review the thread for last three years and most call for a defense to get after QB. Was this a mistake? Is Kubes going to change the philosophy?
Old 02-01-2008   #48
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think the idea is to get one disruptive pass rusher type at DT(Amobi) and then another DT that can hold up the point for rushing.Think Reggie White and Gilbert Brown clogging the middle up.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #49
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Famous Fat guys for 300 .

The Fridge
Gilbert Brown
Tony Siragusa
Sam Adams
Fats Holmes
Vince Wolfolk
John Matuzak
Michael Carter
Casey Hampton

what do they have in common ?
Old 02-01-2008   #50
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
And I agree with this and was very happy when I read Kubes POV. I ,too, think the focus for now is not the Colts. But here's what I need help with; our linebacker defense is predicated on the will and sam being able to drop back into coverage. Not saying that who we have is best at that but that is the program. Weaver as well as Okoye and Mario were chosen to disrupt the passer; not stuff the run. Travis Johnson, I had no idea why he was drafted but now he fills the same function. With exception of Demeco, who else was brought aboard to stop the run? No one. We've gotten what we bought. Review the thread for last three years and most call for a defense to get after QB. Was this a mistake? Is Kubes going to change the philosophy?
It's like TC posted about the division and each team . The way you beat the Colt's is not the way you beat the Jags .
Old 02-01-2008   #51
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Famous Fat guys for 300 .

The Fridge
Gilbert Brown
Tony Siragusa
Sam Adams
Fats Holmes
Vince Wolfolk
John Matuzak
Michael Carter
Casey Hampton

what do they have in common ?
Each has a ring?
Old 02-01-2008   #52
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Sopoaga from sf sounds good. A 5th for Rodgers sound good also. A grady jackson on 1st and 2nd down played well for jacksonville and led the lead in tfl's the last couple yrs. A guy taking up 2 blkers is very good which allows gguys to get 1 on 1's.
leebigeztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #53
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Weaver has never been a pass rusher. In 6 years of playing in the NFL his season high is 5 sacks.

Old 02-01-2008   #54
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think the idea is to get one disruptive pass rusher type at DT(Amobi) and then another DT that can hold up the point for rushing.Think Reggie White and Gilbert Brown clogging the middle up.
I get that, but do you really think Kubes or Smith will push aside or trade first round pick Okoye or TJ? Of the two, it would be TJ and I'd be very surprised if that happened. Now if you guys are saying sign a cheap free agent for running plays... ok.
Old 02-01-2008   #55
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Weaver has never been a pass rusher. In 6 years of playing in the NFL his season high is 5 sacks.
So you are saying he was signed for his run stopping ability? I think I remember Weaver saying how much the move to DE would let him use his abilities to get to the QB when he became a Texan. Not disagreeing Vinny, just reminding all what happened. We have clammored for a QB pressuring Dline for years. Now that we have the best we have had imo, we want to change? I am NOT saying a DT that can do both would not be an asset. It would. But from Weaver through Okoye, the focus was on rushers, not tacklers. Same goes for linebackers. The same three teams are in our division and their offenses have not undergone radical transformations. Maybe, we should have been going for more of a run stopper than Okoye? BPA maybe did not work with this pick?
Old 02-01-2008   #56
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
I get that, but do you really think Kubes or Smith will push aside or trade first round pick Okoye or TJ? Of the two, it would be TJ and I'd be very surprised if that happened. Now if you guys are saying sign a cheap free agent for running plays... ok.
no, why would he? I think it is just silly to even think he would consider trading Okoye and TJ will get a box of cracker jacks and his salary isn't all that high considering he had a pretty decent year last season.....but these guys basically play the same position. Both are considered 3-technique tackles. These guys are generally smaller than most tackles but are quicker penetrators who shoot gaps. Most teams have one tackle that is the "rush" DT and another Tackle that keeps the Guards off the linebackers...Okoye and TJ are both gap shooting types.

Old 02-01-2008   #57
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
no, why would he? I think it is just silly to even think he would consider trading Okoye and TJ will get a box of cracker jacks and his salary isn't all that high considering he had a pretty decent year last season.....but these guys basically play the same position. Both are considered 3-technique tackles. These guys are generally smaller than most tackles but are quicker penetrators who shoot gaps. Most teams have one tackle that is the "rush" DT and another Tackle that keeps the Guards off the linebackers...Okoye and TJ are both gap shooting types.
Yes, but you have not addressed my question and I value your opinion. Was it a mistake to sign Weaver, TJ, Mario and Okoye and not have any run stoppers? I mean at end of season Killings was the heaviest on roster at 310. Added to that the backers are light to fall back and cover. Was this a coaching philosophy error or just BPA? Also, are you suggesting rotating TJ and Okoye and bringing in a heavy banger at the other DT spot?
Old 02-01-2008   #58
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Yes, but you have not addressed my question and I value your opinion. Was it a mistake to sign Weaver, TJ, Mario and Okoye and not have any run stoppers? I mean at end of season Killings was the heaviest on roster at 310. Added to that the backers are light to fall back and cover. Was this a coaching philosophy error or just BPA? Also, are you suggesting rotating TJ and Okoye and bringing in a heavy banger at the other DT spot?
Weaver is a DE in a 3-4 defense .

You can put this under CC I bet .
Old 02-01-2008   #59
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Quote:
I think Okoye was a decision of BPA, youth and upside. I think most people are on board with Mario Williams now.

TJ had a decent year and seemed to get it. This was his second year back in the 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4. Thanks Again Dom.

Weaver was a carry over from Capers and was brought in to be a 3-4 DE. So that one isn't on Kubiak.

I think we had our hands tied last year carrying over from bad salary cap decisions. We will be in a better position this year to improve via FA is we so choose to. Looks like we're stuck with RIchard Smith again this year so I'd like to see improvement and what Richard Smith thinks what a defense should look like.

If Dom gets in Dallas I would like to offer him Weaver and Greenwood for Marcus Spears.
Old 02-01-2008   #60
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
I think Okoye was a decision of BPA, youth and upside. I think most people are on board with Mario Williams now.

TJ had a decent year and seemed to get it. This was his second year back in the 4-3 as opposed to a 3-4. Thanks Again Dom.

Weaver was a carry over from Capers and was brought in to be a 3-4 DE. So that one isn't on Kubiak.

I think we had our hands tied last year carrying over from bad salary cap decisions. We will be in a better position this year to improve via FA is we so choose to. Looks like we're stuck with RIchard Smith again this year so I'd like to see improvement and what Richard Smith thinks what a defense should look like.

If Dom gets in Dallas I would like to offer him Weaver and Greenwood for Marcus Spears.

I think if TJ was all that then they would'nt have drafted Amobi .

TJ was drafted to be a DE in the 3-4 .

We did'nt need no stinking Jamaal Brown ... he can't play LT .... does'nt fit our system .

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read