Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-30-2008   #21
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE
Default Re: 2 gap DT free agents?

Sam Adams. Anyone remember he interviewed with us late May last season?

I'd say he's a space eater and he has ties with Kubiak.

He eventually signed with Denver, but I believe they released him mid-season.
Old 01-30-2008   #22
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Yes! While we're at, why don't we trade Ahman Green for Adrian Peterson?
I bet we could get Trufant for Faggins!
Old 01-31-2008   #23
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Sam Adams. Anyone remember he interviewed with us late May last season?

I'd say he's a space eater and he has ties with Kubiak.

He eventually signed with Denver, but I believe they released him mid-season.
big 350 pounder going into his 15th NFL season? He was an excellent player in his day...but that day has passed.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #24
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
big 350 pounder going into his 15th NFL season? He was an excellent player in his day...but that day has passed.
I think the Texans only talked to him because he was a local guy and as a courtesy.
Old 01-31-2008   #25
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Still think if they were really interested in a space eating DT....Grady Jackson came available last season after ATL surprisingly cut him. I find it no coincidence about the same time they cut him John Abrahams production declined sharply.

Instead he went on to Jacksonville and did well enough for himself. Man that ATL loss still stings.

You would think if people on a message board could identify this as a need Richard Smith would.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #26
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldensilence View Post
Still think if they were really interested in a space eating DT....Grady Jackson came available last season after ATL surprisingly cut him. I find it no coincidence about the same time they cut him John Abrahams production declined sharply.

Instead he went on to Jacksonville and did well enough for himself. Man that ATL loss still stings.

You would think if people on a message board could identify this as a need Richard Smith would.
I'm out on Jackson too...12 years in the league and nearly 400 pounds. Dude is only good for about 12 plays a game.

Old 01-31-2008   #27
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 183943 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
See, we funnel the RB to our "hog's" position and maybe the RB falls over our 350 pounder. Less tiring for our DT. I will nick name it the "stay in yo' place" defense.
Old 01-31-2008   #28
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Isaac Sopoaga is a guy who I wouldn't mind having around...but the 49ers have stated that they are going to try to keep him since Bryant Young is retiring. He's young and can handle the two gap assignment.
Funny that you say that. I simulated a new franchise 2007 season with the Texans on Madden a week ago and this is the FA DT I picked up.

Never seen him play but his stats seemed to fit the 2 gap DT I was looking for.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #29
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

I say lets sign Hakuhō Shō to be our 2 gap DT.
In case you don't know who he is he is a 22 year old sumo wrestler(a Yokozuna no less). He is 6'4 340. A sumo wrestler needs to know about how to push one guy out of a ring. I bet we could teach him how to eat space and push around 2 guys.

Added bonus: he is Mongolian, so we have opened a whole new Texans market!
Here he is.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #30
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by awtysst View Post
I say lets sign Hakuhō Shō to be our 2 gap DT.
In case you don't know who he is he is a 22 year old sumo wrestler(a Yokozuna no less). He is 6'4 340. A sumo wrestler needs to know about how to push one guy out of a ring. I bet we could teach him how to eat space and push around 2 guys.
I will go out on a limb and say that a talent scout would think his body looked "soft".
Old 02-01-2008   #31
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I will go out on a limb and say that a talent scout would think his body looked "soft".
Soft schmoft. I bet if you line him up against a Center and Guard he will get their attention. Besides a bunch of 2 gap Dts look "soft" around the mid section. Big boys can play too! Just ask this guy

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #32
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
That's why I said in that "mold" I think Adams/Jackson/Washington's best years are over. But if we can get a player with a similar skillset I think that is a huge upgrade to our run defense.
I'm no expert on defensive tackles so this may be a dumb question, but what was Zgonina brought in for?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #33
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 7167 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
I'm no expert on defensive tackles so this may be a dumb question, but what was Zgonina brought in for?
I believe he is here just to fill the rotation. Also, I know we hear it too much but it is good to have some experience on the line. That's pretty much his story.
Old 02-01-2008   #34
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Here is the draft pool.

http://thefootballexpert.com/dtrankings2008.html

So we bring in Sean Rodgers and Sam Adams in, the fatest guy gets the
run stuffer gig ?

Well, I'm not the expert some are on Defenses or d-coordintors...my guess is they are tring to run the same type of scheme as they've run in denver for three decades. That is: you get your rush from you front four and you smash the bejesus out of the recivers with two very big monsterly size safties.

The common theme, reguadless of Kube's coach speak for the defense for the last five years....they send five or six...no one gets there. You can say the DC sucks...or you could say there is a very good reason there is a bridle on the DC's play book. There is no one on the roster who can cover a NFL reciever for four seconds. And all Manning needs is two and a half and the ball is out.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 02-01-2008 at 04:08 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #35
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Old 02-01-2008   #36
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Here is the draft pool.

http://thefootballexpert.com/dtrankings2008.html

So we bring in Sean Rodgers and Sam Adams in, the fatest guy gets the
run stuffer gig ?

Well, I'm not the expert some are on Defenses or d-coordintors...my guess is they are tring to run the same type of scheme as they've run in denver for three decades. That is: you get your rush from you front four and you smash the bejesus out of the recivers with two very big monsterly size safties.

The common theme, reguadless of Kube's coach speak for the defense for the last five years....they send five or six...no one gets there. You can say the DC sucks...or you could say there is a very good reason there is a bridle on the DC's play book. There is no one on the roster who can cover a NFL reciever for four seconds. And all Manning needs is two and a half and the ball is out.
There's maybe five DBs in the league that can cover a WR for 4 secs. While we undoubtedly need DB help, we need an edge pass rusher to get pressure. Pressure is the key to stopping elite QBs.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008   #37
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Experience. A body. Someone who had played the game a long time and started many games. To scare people with his calves.

But, by DT standards, he is not a huge guy.
Old 02-01-2008   #38
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Experience. A body. Someone who had played the game a long time and started many games. To scare people with his calves.

But, by DT standards, he is not a huge guy.
agreed...I'd describe his game as "workmanlike". He's at the end of his career but he probably helped the youngsters on the line in practice Monday-Friday more than he helped the team on game days. A real pro, but not a dominant figure in the middle.

Old 02-01-2008   #39
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If the Lions do trade Shaun Rogers, it is thought they'll ask for a proven player who can immediately fill one of the Lions' many defensive holes.
Booth Newspapers' Tom Kowalski mentions Bill Parcells as a potential suitor, noting that Parcells "gushed" about Rogers in conference calls before the Cowboys played the Lions. If the Lions can't find trade partner, Kowalski believes the Lions will give Rogers a weight limit and fine him if he doesn't meet it, a la Mike Williams. Feb. 1 - 10:58 a.m. ET
Source: MLive.com
http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/....asp?sport=NFL

So I'm guesing he's around 360. With bad wheels.....and a substance wiff.
Old 02-01-2008   #40
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm out on Jackson too...12 years in the league and nearly 400 pounds. Dude is only good for about 12 plays a game.
Guess I was trying to say IF we wanted to address it as a need he could've been brought in relatively cheap. Not saying long term deal but It certainly would've helped us in a push to win a game or two more to have a guy like that in the rotation.He certainly helped the Jags.I'd like to steal Paul Spicer from them.

Quote:

TTP Like and respect your opinion(can't rep you again) and think you're right about the front four and safeties. Could very well be why this staff hasn't chosen the more ball hawking type safeties when available. You spot on though if we want a shot at beating Manning regularly we're going to have to do something different i nthe secondary for them. Tennesse and Jacksonville don't worry me as much(unless Vince becomes a better passer).Garrard is efficient at QB and that's what they ask him to do but that offense is centered around the run.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read