Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-29-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default chron video:anna megan with Rick Smith on 2007 and 2008

Quote:
If Texans re-sign Davis, would you dump Mathis?

McClain and I went to general manager Rick Smith's office at Reliant Stadium to interview him about the season and the offseason. He had some opinions and ideas I found quite interesting. Our videographer, Adam Ariganello, has divided the interview into two parts -- one looking back and one looking ahead.
http://blogs.chron.com/fanzone/2008/...s_would_y.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 89729 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: chron video:anna megan with Rick Smith on 2007 and 2008

sounds like we really want to keep andre davis

open on trying to get a #2 again,but if it were to happen ,could be draft day or maybe not

Last edited by Wolf; 01-29-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-29-2008   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yay, more bubblegum reporting from "The General" and his sidekick.

Is McClain so cool that he needs to wear shades inside?

And c'mon, John, saying we were two plays from having an undefeated home record goes both ways (as he is always quick to point out on his radio shows). We could also say we were just a couple of plays from being .500 at home, too. It all comes down to playing 60 minutes of good football, not 57 or 58.

I apologize for the harshness of my post. I'm just tired of shallow reporting, especially this week of the Super Bowl. They get access that is elite, but then do very little with the chance. Heck, just pop into the forums for some serious football discussion before chatting with the Texans GM. JMO!
Old 01-29-2008   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

And c'mon, John, saying we were two plays from having an undefeated home record goes both ways (as he is always quick to point out on his radio shows). We could also say we were just a couple of plays from being .500 at home, too. It all comes down to playing 60 minutes of good football, not 57 or 58.

I apologize for the harshness of my post. I'm just tired of shallow reporting, especially this week of the Super Bowl. They get access that is elite, but then do very little with the chance. Heck, just pop into the forums for some serious football discussion before chatting with the Texans GM. JMO!
very true DB, very true
Old 01-29-2008   #5
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a good point and Mathis has been injured the last 2 years.

but, as i remember, Mathis' IR placement this year was to make roster room (please correct me if I am wrong).

Mathis is exciteing to watch but Davis and Jones are both better recievers so release him and give Davis his salary.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #6
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

Agreed.

I haven't gotten to see a RS interview. Was impressed with the man but the interview had the possibility of being way better. I'm willing to bet half the people on this board would've been better.

Far as who needs to be retained.

Davis is a no brainer.
Demps would be a good sign long as he doesn't ask too much. I really thought he made a solid impact on the mentality of the secondary when he got into the starting lineup.
Clark is nice to have, as well as Hutchins both provide nice depth.
Dayne is is a solid backup but has to be used right.... unless we're looking in the draft or looking for someone faster in FA...resign him.

Far as Mathis goes. Tender him a one year deal that doesn't cost much with incentive upside. I do love the idea of ok do we squib kick it, kick to Davis or Mathis?!
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

John needs to go on a diet. The guy must weigh 500 pounds.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2008   #8
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

JOHN MCLAIN RULES!!!!

dont care for anna meagan much though, shes alright, at least shes not meagan manfull or whatever her name is.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #9
Mike F.
Rookie

Who is she? She looks and sounds like a high school intern. How can anyone take either one of these people serious?
Mike F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #10
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144347 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F. View Post
Who is she? She looks and sounds like a high school intern. How can anyone take either one of these people serious?
Having zero competition in a one-paper town will make you lazy and complacent. McClain hasn't been relevant for years now. He just keeps getting worse and worse, and his infatuation with Anna Megan is just embarassing. Hire young reporters with promise and talent, not just t*ts.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #11
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Having zero competition in a one-paper town will make you lazy and complacent. McClain hasn't been relevant for years now. He just keeps getting worse and worse, and his infatuation with Anna Megan is just embarassing. Hire young reporters with promise and talent, not just t*ts.
He is a Hall of Fame writter, thats gotta count for somthing.

but ya, lazy is a good word for it....

Old 01-30-2008   #12
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 24148 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe this is 12 months in Iraq talking but Anna-Megan can talk about how gnomes farm for beets in the winter and she would have my undivided attention.

Txn_in_Oki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #13
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 174887 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow.
Do you REALLY think Rick Smith is going to totally tip his hand as to who they're specifically targeting in F/A?? ...or EXACTLY who they're going to draft??

In fact, I'm surprised they got Rick to name the few names that he did regarding F/As they want to hold on to. Hell, if I were Rick Smith wouldn't tip my hand at this stage of the game. That gives the F/As too much leverage during contract negotiations. Man, if you guys play poker like you expect Rick Smith to spill his guts, I'd love to sit at the table with you. Bring lots of money.

Quote:
I'm just tired of shallow reporting, especially this week of the Super Bowl.
Did you check the date on that interview? It was done back on Jan. 3rd, not during Superbowl week.

And I see everyone saying the interview could have been much better but I didn't see any examples of questions that should have been asked. Remember, no GM worth a crap is gonna name specific names at this juncture in the year. F/A is a month or two away. Declaring your interest in a guy only drives up the price. So given that groundrule - i.e., don't tip your hand lest you unnecessarily raise the price of the player you want - what other questions would you guys have asked??

I will listen and learn from you masters.

Last edited by ObsiWan; 01-31-2008 at 12:39 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #14
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniJen View Post
Rep later yadda yadaa ..........

What ever credibility he had at one time is going bye bye with this sort of crap jounalism. Throw it against the wall and hope something sticks.
Old 01-31-2008   #15
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_NC View Post
Maybe this is 12 months in Iraq talking but Anna-Megan can talk about how gnomes farm for beets in the winter and she would have my undivided attention.

from her myspace

Old 01-31-2008   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 283896 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Did you check the date on that interview? It was done back on Jan. 3rd, not during Superbowl week.
Did I even imply that the interview was this week?

Your powers of assumption are simply amazing.

Point being, after watching two weeks of lame reporting, this one is right up there with it, regardless of when the interview was conducted.

With regards to questions, there are a number of areas that Rick Smith could have shed some light on. I don't have all the questions, but I have not spent any time thinking of it. Give me 24 hours and I could have a long list. And I don't do this for a living, which is [allegedly] left to the "professionals" that get PAID to be sports reporters.

So you enjoy shallow reporting. Fine. But don't chastise those of us that would like a little depth from our sports section.
Old 01-31-2008   #17
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn_in_NC View Post

I think it's the 12 months in Iraq.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #18
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan View Post
I think it's the 12 months in Iraq.
I can see what hes talking about though, looking at the size of her....um, Brains.....

Old 01-31-2008   #19
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Wow.
Do you REALLY think Rick Smith is going to totally tip his hand as to who they're specifically targeting in F/A?? ...or EXACTLY who they're going to draft??

In fact, I'm surprised they got Rick to name the few names that he did regarding F/As they want to hold on to. Hell, if I were Rick Smith wouldn't tip my hand at this stage of the game. That gives the F/As too much leverage during contract negotiations. Man, if you guys play poker like you expect Rick Smith to spill his guts, I'd love to sit at the table with you. Bring lots of money.

And I see everyone saying the interview could have been much better but I didn't see any examples of questions that should have been asked. Remember, no GM worth a crap is gonna name specific names at this juncture in the year. F/A is a month or two away. Declaring your interest in a guy only drives up the price. So given that groundrule - i.e., don't tip your hand lest you unnecessarily raise the price of the player you want - what other questions would you guys have asked??

I will listen and learn from you masters.

Good post.
Old 01-31-2008   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Good post.
Thank you for your contribution.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read