Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-29-2008   #1
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer
Default Are we re-signing anyone???

Can't we be resigning our own Free Agents right now? I would have thought we would have at least resigned a few guys by now. Especially Defense.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 86293 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we resigning anyone???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
Can't we be resigning our own Free Agents right now? I would have thought we would have at least resigned a few guys by now. Especially Defense.
I don't think it's that period yet. When you start hearing teams signing their UFA's then we'll know. RIght now I think players are just getting "tendered" to deals.
Old 01-29-2008   #3
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

we're allowed resign FA's now if we want to but look around at all the other teams- hardly nobody is doing it yet
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are we re-signing anyone???

Key dates:

2/7-21 Window for teams to designate franchise and transition tags
2/11 First day teams can cut players
2/20-26 Scouting combine (probably also aired by NFLN)
2/28 Deadline to tender RFAs and ERFAs
2/29 Free agency and trading window opens
4/18 Deadline for RFA offer sheets
4/26-27 2008 NFL Draft

According to Smith and Kubiak they are still evaluating our guys, the prospective FAs, and the draft. You need to figure out if the guy you have is better then the guy you are trying to sign. Or do you think you can upgrade by letting someone go.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #5
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I gotta little birdy on my shoulder telling me we MAY lose Von Hutchinson to the dreaded cowpolkes. And Andre Davis, if someone offers him #1 money, the texans will let him walk. Just brace yourselves there boys and gurls.

Davis is twenty-eight, and this is his last chance at the brass ring. If someone offers him the farm he's got to take the deal. He's going to be one of the very hot FAs this year. On the one hand you can say it sucks we'll lose a very good and productive player. On the other hand, the first sign there is some legitmate tallent on the club is when people steal them from you.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-30-2008 at 03:01 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #6
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 274452 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
we're allowed resign FA's now if we want to but look around at all the other teams- hardly nobody is doing it yet
Then who are these guys? ...camp fodder?? Practice squad hopefuls??

1/15/08 Chukky Okobi C (ARI) Signed
1/15/08 Dan Stevenson G Signed
1/10/08 LeRon McCoy WR Signed
1/3/08 Kevis Coley LB Signed
1/3/08 Greg Eslinger C (PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Arliss Beach RB
(PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Derrick Johnson CB (MIA) Signed
1/3/08 Derrick Roberson CB
(PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Brandon Mitchell S
(PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Eric Powell DE (BUF) Signed
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Then who are these guys? ...camp fodder?? Practice squad hopefuls??

1/15/08 Chukky Okobi C (ARI) Signed
1/15/08 Dan Stevenson G Signed
1/10/08 LeRon McCoy WR Signed
1/3/08 Kevis Coley LB Signed
1/3/08 Greg Eslinger C (PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Arliss Beach RB
(PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Derrick Johnson CB (MIA) Signed
1/3/08 Derrick Roberson CB
(PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Brandon Mitchell S
(PS?) Signed
1/3/08 Eric Powell DE (BUF) Signed

i meant resign fa's who are already on their teams ie. AD, demps for us, dansby in arixona, jared allen in KC etc
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-30-2008   #8
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by painekiller View Post
Key dates:

2/11 First day teams can cut players

Ahman Green won't make it past lunch on February, 11, 2008.
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time View Post
Ahman Green won't make it past lunch on February, 11, 2008.
IIRC, he'd cost us quite a bit to cut him. He'll be here next season.
Old 01-30-2008   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
I gotta little birdy on my shoulder telling me we MAY lose Von Hutchinson to the dreaded cowpolkes. And Andre Davis, if someone offers him #1 money, the texans will let him walk. Just brace yourselves there boys and gurls.

Davis is twenty-eight, and this is his last chance at the brass ring. If someone offers him the farm he's got to take the deal. He's going to be one of the very hot FAs this year. On the one hand you can say it sucks we'll lose a very good and productive player. On the other hand, the first sign there is some legitmate tallent on the club is when people steal them from you.
Nobody is going to offer Andre Davis WR1 money...unless Casserly is the GM somewhere and I'm not aware of it. If we had a NFL caliber secondary losing Hutchinson would be like losing Hodgdon from our offensive line. I'm not sure I'll have to brace for that one.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Nobody is going to offer Andre Davis WR1 money...unless Casserly is the GM somewhere and I'm not aware of it. If we had a NFL caliber secondary losing Hutchinson would be like losing Hodgdon from our offensive line. I'm not sure I'll have to brace for that one.
I assume we mean Von Hutchins?

I agree here. Hutchins can hit the road unless we could bring him back dirt cheap as depth.

IMO, AD will be a Texan. If he demands too much money for a good half season, then he can leave as well. SmithGM (& Co) has shown smarts with the cap and contract numbers so I'm not worried about it.

Old 01-30-2008   #12
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
I don't know...I can the Titans doing it. They have TONS of cap space, and they are desperate for some WR's. Not to mention AD would make a good return man for them since they lost Pacman.
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #13
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_Texan View Post
I don't know...I can the Titans doing it. They have TONS of cap space, and they are desperate for some WR's. Not to mention AD would make a good return man for them since they lost Pacman.
Andre Davis is a well spoken, decent person and a good team mate. That doesn't sound like a tack to me...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #14
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno Dan Synder is always around. He gave Randle El that insane contract.

Honestly I see AD here next year. I think the FO has been candid in their want to re-sign him and as Smith put it he "fits here". As FA receiver I don't know of a much more attractive situation. An established #1 and an offense despite losing the starting QB, RB and so many turnovers still finished 6 or 7th in offense. There's something brewing here and I hope he realizes that AND wants to be a part of it.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #15
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
We were all disappointed with Green's first year with Houston. I am always the first to give the benifit of the doubt and we gave Davis(Williams) OTAs at least. That still didn't work but Davis didn't have the resemee that Green has. Saying this, Kubiak seems to have learned from his mistakes so Green will probably cut him no matter what.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
From aj at HT.com

Quote:
Just found out the answer today and it was what I thought.

The 500k is a roster bonus and the 200k is an off-season workout bonus (each year through '10).

The unique thing about his roster bonus is that it's not a lump sum. It's paid incrementally - $31,250 per game for games that he's on the 45 man active roster. Smart.

The workout bonus is paid only if he participates in at least 90% of the off season program.

My earlier post #10 is still accurate and it closes the loop on posts #14 and #31.

Green would cost $3.75 million on the cap to cut (likely spread over two years) if he was cut, and he could cost as much as $5.75 million on the cap to keep this year if he was active for every game and met his workout bonus criteria. Of course if he was active for all 16 games and produced like a RB1 should, he would be worth $5.75 million on the cap.
Old 01-30-2008   #17
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

I can see the FO doing the same thing they did with Vonta Leach (and maybe Ron Dayne) last year.

Seems like Rick Smith has no problem letting another team negotiate with his free agents. If it's somebody he wants to keep around, then he just matches the offer.

I'm really hoping that we can keep Andre Davis and Will Demps around this offseason.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #18
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rm0nt3r View Post
We were all disappointed with Green's first year with Houston. I am always the first to give the benifit of the doubt and we gave Davis(Williams) OTAs at least. That still didn't work but Davis didn't have the resemee that Green has. Saying this, Kubiak seems to have learned from his mistakes so Green will probably cut him no matter what.
I'm not saying I want him to return. I just think he'll be here next season if healthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
From aj at HT.com
Thanks I-Cak. I still have a strong hunch he'll be around next season. I might be wrong, by George it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 01-30-2008   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
I can see the FO doing the same thing they did with Vonta Leach (and maybe Ron Dayne) last year.

Seems like Rick Smith has no problem letting another team negotiate with his free agents. If it's somebody he wants to keep around, then he just matches the offer.

I'm really hoping that we can keep Andre Davis and Will Demps around this offseason.
Little different deal. Leach was a RFA so the Texans had the right to match the offer. Davis and Demps are UFA's so the Texans have nothing but a year's loyalty to having matching make them return.
Old 01-30-2008   #20
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2030 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

I can see Davis resigning with us.

I've heard he's really grateful for us giving him the chance that no one else would. He also likes it here, so I'm sure he'll get his agent to sign where he wants.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read