Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-28-2008   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dallas morning news:grading NFL Rookies

they gave Texans a "c" in April and January a "C" also

Quote:
First-round DT Amobi Okoye was no surprise, but fourth-round CB Fred Bennett was. Okoye finished ninth among NFL defensive tackles with 5˝ sacks. Bennett worked his way into the lineup by midseason and intercepted three passes, broke up 14 others and forced two fumbles.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...t.309763d.html
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #2
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dallas morning news:grading NFL Rookies

Quote:
First-round DT Amobi Okoye was no surprise, but fourth-round CB Fred Bennett was. Okoye finished ninth among NFL defensive tackles with 5˝ sacks. Bennett worked his way into the lineup by midseason and intercepted three passes, broke up 14 others and forced two fumbles.
Sounded pretty decent to me..... I might give it a grade slightly above 'average' - maybe a C+ or B-
Old 01-29-2008   #3
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Sitting on perfection with nine draft picks, the Patriots were selecting players to cut them – and did. Six of them. Two others wound up on injured reserve. First-round draft pick Brandon Meriweather was the lone survivor from this draft class and didn't start a game. "
I found Draft-guru Gosselins remarks about the Pats very interesting as he points out that the team with (allegedly) one of the best eyes for potential
NFL talent had a real whiff in its 2007 Draft because any team in the league,
even the best, should not need to release 2/3rds of its Draft class in the rookies first year. Especially a team getting as long in the tooth as the Pats.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
"Sitting on perfection with nine draft picks, the Patriots were selecting players to cut them – and did. Six of them. Two others wound up on injured reserve. First-round draft pick Brandon Meriweather was the lone survivor from this draft class and didn't start a game. "
I found Draft-guru Gosselins remarks about the Pats very interesting as he points out that the team with (allegedly) one of the best eyes for potential
NFL talent had a real whiff in its 2007 Draft because any team in the league,
even the best, should not need to release 2/3rds of its Draft class in the rookies first year. Especially a team getting as long in the tooth as the Pats.
all teams whiff on talent....I've followed the league for a long time and never seen a team not whiff on talent. One good thing I'll say about the Pats is that they didn't throw good money after bad by having an ego so large that they can't admit their picks weren't as good as their existing players.

I was kinda disappointed in Okoye over the course of the year but I expected him to struggle....hopefully he will eventually be able to play the run and not only be a situational pass rushing DT.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
all teams whiff on talent....I've followed the league for a long time and never seen a team not whiff on talent. One good thing I'll say about the Pats is that they didn't throw good money after bad by having an ego so large that they can't admit their picks weren't as good as their existing players.

I was kinda disappointed in Okoye over the course of the year but I expected him to struggle....hopefully he will eventually be able to play the run and not only be a situational pass rushing DT.
Well I dunno, so you tell me. If a team is cutting 2/3 rds of an entire Draft class in their rookie year a high fatality rate, or just about par for the course ?
Regarding Okoye, I think his rookie year was every bit as good as Marios ?
Old 01-29-2008   #6
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

HOW THE F' DO YOU GET AN A THEN????

JJ, Okoye, and bennet.... at least a B.....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd give us probably a C+.

As for the Pats...seems they're kind of in a hard spot. For each player they draft, it seems for the most part they're going to have to find an active player to cut. They're a great team with solid depth so they'd be cutting solid depth that is a 'known' for an untested 5th/6th/7th round picks? I think they're doing just fine...but yes everybody whiffs on some picks.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2008   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Gosselin's Atlanta Falcon's grade
Quote:
April grade: B

January grade: A+ The season was a wash, and coach Bobby Petrino walked out in December. But he did the franchise one big favor – he played his youth. Six of the eight draft picks started games, with DE Jamal Anderson, G Justin Blalock and CB Chris Houston all becoming primary starters.
A+? Yeah, the Falcons' rookies played. But, they didn't play that well. The 2002 Texans rookie class had 7 picks that started games. How did that eventually turnout? Right now, I'm not trading the Texans top 3 rookies for the Falcons'. Gosselin's sources are nearly impeccable. But, his analysis is as sketchy as any pro football writer's.
Old 01-29-2008   #9
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61582 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well I dunno, so you tell me. If a team is cutting 2/3 rds of an entire Draft class in their rookie year a high fatality rate, or just about par for the course ?
It is par for the course when most of your class is drafted in the 6th and 7th round. Remember they traded a 2nd for welker and 4th for Moss. The 2007 draft class was hardly a failure.

1 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.)
4 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
6 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
7 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #10
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 112052 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
It is par for the course when most of your class is drafted in the 6th and 7th round. Remember they traded a 2nd for welker and 4th for Moss. The 2007 draft class was hardly a failure.

1 24 Brandon Meriweather DB Miami (Fla.)
4 127 Kareem Brown DT Miami (Fla.)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg T Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers LB Southern Methodist
6 202 Mike Richardson DB Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard OT Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua LB USC
7 247 Mike Elgin G Iowa
excellent post Sly

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #11
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
excellent post Sly
Yes it was Sly, er, I mean ArlingtonTexan. Huh ? Wait a minute here.
Is the relatively mild-mannered moderator operating under the ArlingtonTexan moniker one in the same provokative SLY over on the HPF Board ?
Old 01-29-2008   #12
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Gosselin's Atlanta Falcon's grade
A+? Yeah, the Falcons' rookies played. But, they didn't play that well. The 2002 Texans rookie class had 7 picks that started games. How did that eventually turnout? Right now, I'm not trading the Texans top 3 rookies for the Falcons'. Gosselin's sources are nearly impeccable. But, his analysis is as sketchy as any pro football writer's.
exactly.. was just going to post the same thing- he based it on playing time only not quality of the play
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Gosselins time of year, look forward to his input. its hard to evaluate the Texans draft based on the injurys. Brandon Harrison never made it out of tc, Jacoby looked like he was on track before the shoulder seperation to make the all rookie team while Studdard, Frye & Diles always seemed knicked up when playing time became available. Okoye solidified the D-Line & was key to Mario's break-out season while Bennett virtually saved the season for the Texans when Dunta was lost. never mentioned Schaub who was our 2nd rd. replacement.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Gosselins time of year, look forward to his input. its hard to evaluate the Texans draft based on the injurys. Brandon Harrison never made it out of tc, Jacoby looked like he was on track before the shoulder seperation to make the all rookie team while Studdard, Frye & Diles always seemed knicked up when playing time became available. Okoye solidified the D-Line & was key to Mario's break-out season while Bennett virtually saved the season for the Texans when Dunta was lost. never mentioned Schaub who was our 2nd rd. replacement.
agreed. I am hoping okoye makes similar strides like mario and be over "the rookie wall" and heck he will have a full offseason with the Texans and be what 20 when the season starts?

jacoby did seem very hesitant after the injury.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #15
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 116198 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
HOW THE F' DO YOU GET AN A THEN????

JJ, Okoye, and bennet.... at least a B.....
I'm with you on this one. They admitted Okoye was as advertised and that Bennett stepped up to be Dunta, Jr.

But not even partial credit for J.J.? ...at least until he got hurt.

Then there's Zack Diles; its not his fault that last year's Defensive RotY is in the spot he normally would play (and no, I'm not saying he would be as good as DeMeco).

And Darius Walker contributed positively when he fiiiinally got a shot....

And that's not counting Studdard who played well but couldn't stay off the injury list - I've no issue with that.

But a "C"?? I mean they gave the Packers a "B" solely due to a kicker!
Old 01-29-2008   #16
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 61582 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yes it was Sly, er, I mean ArlingtonTexan. Huh ? Wait a minute here.
Is the relatively mild-mannered moderator operating under the ArlingtonTexan moniker one in the same provokative SLY over on the HPF Board ?
Actually, my name over there is BeaumontTexan, but when I moved up here, I changed my name on this one and never bothered over there.

Unfortunately, that poster does use the shortened version of my real first name.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have major issues with the Texans grade as with most clubs its just premature & reflects actual production for their rookie season only without projecting forward, but I do have issue with another team who really got outstanding production from their draft picks & who are still playing, the Giants.

He gave them a C in April & a D in Januray-

First-round CB Aaron Ross and seventh-round safety Michael Johnson worked their way into the starting lineup of a top-10 defense, and fifth-round TE Kevin Boss gave the Giants insurance when Jeremy Shockey's season ended with a fractured fibula

they would not be in the Super Bowl if not from their rookie contributions. we all remember Ross from Texas, looked to me like he was playing hurt, all he did was man up play through pain, coming up huge in the secondary that had been considered a weakness. I loved Steve Smith coming out of USC as a #2 position WR like the Colts Anthony Gonzalez. he made some big catches that has helped the Giants move the chains in key situations.

I remember last year @ the combine watching Kevin Boss run his forty & other skill tests like receiving, adjusting to the ball & running after the catch, one of the most impressive later round prospects in the draft from Western Oregon? I just knew he was going to make some team. then Shockey goes down & he gets his chance, the Giants are a better team with him in the game, more complete. excellent blocker, sure hands, will go over the middle , red zone wherever you need him & will be a load to bring down. looks like he put on 15-20 lbs since last year too.

Rick did mention Michael Johnson, very inspirational gives them secondary depth but made no mention of fellow 7th rd. RB selection Ahmad Bradshaw. Rick Smith can only hope to find similar talent that late in the draft. so in this exteme case I'm fine with the April grade of C because you don't know what anyone is gonna do yet, but here in Januray helping their team make it as a wildcard into the Super Bowl warrants at least a "B" if not "A"

ok I feel better now
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #18
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Amobe & Bennett played well I hope that we keep it up in this years draft.
Old 01-29-2008   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

He doesn't give his criteria for what gets a team a better grade. I'm guessing from reading through this that it is whether the rookies play significant time.

Generally speaking, this will tend to lead to better grades for teams with worse existing talent.

As for Okoye, I am in the middle of writing up a review of his season at FanHouse. I'll put that in this thread when I'm done.
Old 01-29-2008   #20
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Actually, my name over there is BeaumontTexan, but when I moved up here, I changed my name on this one and never bothered over there.

Unfortunately, that poster does use the shortened version of my real first name.
OK, thanks for the clarification. And Vinny also explained it to me earlier.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read