Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 11-29-2004   #41
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Johnson is a OLB and Spears is a big end that wont get out of the first round.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #42
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer
Defense has to be the top priority. After that I think we can go running back and tight end. We should be in the playoffs next year, and I don't want to hear about the so called 5 year plan. It has always been the 4 year plan. If we don't significantly improve our defense then we'll have to face the "5 year plan". I love the way David Pollack plays, but I don't know if he'll fit in our team and the scheme we run, but that guy goes all out every play.
Pollack is almost a twin size-wise to Jason Babin. he appears to play quicker and with a higher motor than babin. Pollack faced a higher level of competition in college, but after his sophomore year he has not put up the crazy sack numbers that his reputation suggests.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #43
Fiddy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18 Fiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVPFiddy was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Fiddy Send a message via MSN to Fiddy Send a message via Yahoo to Fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
Johnson is a OLB and Spears is a big end that wont get out of the first round.
At 6-4 and 220, Derrick Johnson would be a ILB in a 3-4.

Spears is a monster....

'Anyone ready to go outside so I can make you look bad?' - Matt Schaub talking to the DBs
Fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #44
TexSon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVPTexSon was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreJ
but I've been hearing Marcus Spears name alot and you say he is a D-Lineman.

I just want to know what type of player spears is as far as his size and speed, and if he would be on the inside or outside in the 3-4 formation.
He would play on the end in the 3-4... I would like to see him in a Texans uniform because he will provide much needed speed from the DE position. Our D-line is, overall, just too slow. We need somebody that can provide that speed from the line- somebody similar to NEs Richard Seymour.

Walker did well in this role the first year, but he is getting old and is slowing down... we need some youngins to rotate in and learn on the job to eventually take over.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004   #45
AndreJ
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon
He would play on the end in the 3-4... I would like to see him in a Texans uniform because he will provide much needed speed from the DE position. Our D-line is, overall, just too slow. We need somebody that can provide that speed from the line- somebody similar to NEs Richard Seymour.

Walker did well in this role the first year, but he is getting old and is slowing down... we need some youngins to rotate in and learn on the job to eventually take over.
Yeah i agree our D-Line is very slow in the 3-4 atleast they just get no pressure on the QB if he decides to past, Robaire does a good job of batting the ball down at the line though i like that. And Payne has done i think very good in the past few weeks he has like two sacks coming str8 up the middle, but if the QB takes off he won't be caught by our lineman. I have'nt seen Walker do anything, he's always hurt and its about that time to retire. From what I hear it sounds like Marcus Spears would be very good. (Big ad Fast) Sounds like Warren Sapp.... keep in mind i dont watch college football and i dont know what this guy looks like.
Old 11-30-2004   #46
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Marcus Spears is a huge guy with some good speed. He's listed at 6'4 and 297 lbs. He is out of LSU, and he was originally slated to play as a TE. The coaches tried him at DE, and he's been there ever since.
Here's a few pictures of Spears so you get an idea of how big he is.

texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #47
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

He looks more like a big RB than a 300+ DL in that last picture.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-30-2004   #48
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
At 6-4 and 220, Derrick Johnson would be a ILB in a 3-4.

Spears is a monster....
With all of this talk about his problems with head on tackling I figure theyd put him on the outside.
Reddevil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #49
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevil63
With all of this talk about his problems with head on tackling I figure theyd put him on the outside.
Scouts seem to think he would be better on the outside. Outside on a 4-3 team.
Old 11-30-2004   #50
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do I get so excited about the draft? Its like im about to open a present. A 6'4" 270 lbs present.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #51
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

here is the Report on Spears enjoy! http://www.thehuddlereport.com/adpas...rcusSpears.htm
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004   #52
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

three needs analyized:

1st. Best player available who fills the biggest need (Texans lack a sack machine)

2nd. The most verstile pick who helps teammates play their position of strength (Dunta CB allowed Coleman to move to FS effectivly filling two roles with one pick).

3rd. Whats the competition doing & whats available in next years draft? (divisonal foes know each others strengths & weaknesses also this year for instance is the year of CB & OL, next year it may be DT so if you need a DT and there is only one targeted (Spears) and he is gone, you can still get a top grade CB or offensive tackle. To address the DT find one via FA or wait till next year when (Ngata comes out) its a strength.

All this being said which move makes the most sense?

Spears is the obvious choice for me because of these reasons-
1. QB pressure
2. Run stopper
3. Moves DT's into strengths
4. Payne is in a contract year F/A
5. Marcus will be another outstanding Texan

Ronnie Brown would be the ideal franchise RB of the Texans future. Unlike some people I don't have any problem taking a RB this high, this would immediatly give the Texans both quality & depth at a position thats not known for longivity. Because there are several excellent backs in this years draft he may last until the Texans pick.

Most of the other top picks discussed here are Juniors & until they declare for the 2005 draft its pure speculation. However of those who most intrique me would be the big safety out of Georgia Thomas Davis & MLB Ahmad Brooks Virgina, OK and also Haloti Ngata NT from Oregon (also from Oregon a sleeper junior TE Tim Day 6-4 & about 270 lbs with soft hands). But as stated all reports indicate these Juniors are returning to school for their Senior season.

Therefore the focus should be on Marcus Spears & Ronnie Brown
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read