Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Top 3 needs for the texans

Supertex

Practice Squad
This is open to a variety of opinions. I beleive we should try to get maurice clarret, his suspension ends this year and he will enter the NFL a free agent. I beleive we should pick him up because along with our passing game a running game would be quite dangerous. Also, we need a quick tough DE or DT to tag with our D. Well ready for opinions, -1

Uhm.............. Maurice Clarrett will not be a free agent this year, it will be the first year he is eligible to be drafted,(we wont be drafting him) I wouldnt want that snitch anyway, we could use another DE or DT, maybe a Spears or Hawthorne but i think first we should think about getting one of those top 3 CBs to groom for when AG retires.

i feel we do need a running game, but not Clarret he has been out of the game for a while and i dont think the coaches will want a guy like that in the locker room. I still feel once the O-line gets better at the zone blocking scheme and Davis gets a little more patience he will be fine, and i feel this will be a big game for him ! But i do agree with you on the defense !

Cedric Benson if at all possible. He doesn't need an OL. I know he will go high but he would be worth it. After Benson draft all defense starting with the line. Hopefully we can sign a free agent center. And my final wish would be to replace Palmer.

bckey said:
Cedric Benson if at all possible. He doesn't need an OL. I know he will go high but he would be worth it. After Benson draft all defense starting with the line. Hopefully we can sign a free agent center. And my final wish would be to replace Palmer.

Why would we need to sign a FA center I think Steve McKinney is pretty good unless this is the last year in his contract, anywho I think the LT is pretty weak we need someone over there, and a tight end who can both block and catch ofcourse.

AndreJ said:
Why would we need to sign a FA center I think Steve McKinney is pretty good unless this is the last year in his contract, anywho I think the LT is pretty weak we need someone over there, and a tight end who can both block and catch ofcourse.

I disagree with you on McKinney. I think he is the weak link in the line. Wand and Pitts are improving although I thought Pitts was way better as our LT than Wand. I don't understand why we switched Pitts but maybe Vinny knows. Wiegert has some years left in him and Wade is here to stay because of the price we paid for his services. As far as TE goes I'm hoping Joppru will be healthy next year and play up to expectations. If not then yes that would be another area we would have to address.

I think our biggest needs are on the defensive side of the ball. I think we need more big-time playmakers on defense, especially in the front 7. I think our front 7 is solid, but we need someone out there who you feel like could take over the game at any point. I'm not really aware of what's available out there but I'd like to see the upgrade come at the ILB.
On other needs: I don't know that we've seen enough out of Glenn Earl yet, but I think a playoff team needs an upgrade over Brown at SS. On offense I'd like to see more consistency from the offense, but I don't know if that's a personnel problem (RB or O-line?).

New O-line coach if the current one doesn't get this unit playing consistently by the end of the season(no way everyone on the line sucks, must be the coaching.) We need to draft a rb, but only if a quality one drops to us, and by quality, I mean the sure thing we can't miss on this pick. We need a guy who can hold up all season and averages about 4yrds per carry, who also has break away speed to take it to the house. If that guy is not there then we pass and go straight to the d-line and also grab a complete tight end with one of our third round draft picks. The rest of the picks use for depth and to sure up the rest of the holes. Oh by the way I wouldn't touch Benson with a 10 foot pole, I don't know what it is I just got a bad feeling about him playing on the next level. I just dont think he has the speed to be a eleite rb in this league.

Clarett is a piece of garbage that hopefully will never find his way onto an NFL field. I think Lawrence Phillips had more morality in his body than Clarett. Considering how Casserly and Capers have built a team around players that aren't troublemakers I can't see them even putting a grade on him. I would rather the Texans get some bum off the street to run before bringing him in here.

1. Dline
2. Offensive Coordinator
3. ILB

I think we should try to get Derrick Johnson in the first round of the draft.. if it is at all possible.

I doubt it will happen, but lets just say we were to get another offensive line coach, do yall think they would go back to reg. blocking or stick with zone blocking? I think it would be a complete wastes of everyones time if they did go back to regular blocking. That would be an entire year gone down the drain with no progress, then we'd be on a six year plan.

1). stop spilling beer on professional atheletes
2). join a beer club and learn what really good beer is all about
3). drink in moderation, use a desiganted driver & always be respectfull of the people sitting/standing around you.

I'm sorry what was the question again? Oh yeah, three things the Texans need to improve upon.

1). Speed up front in the defensive line- Marcus Spears
2). QB/offensive play calling- Spread the ball around to the WR's including the TE.
3). Pluck another pair (Wade, Smith) of premium free agents this offseason (Alge Crumpler TE/Atlanta & Lamont Jordan RB/Jets) both drafted in 2001 2nd round & ready to become big time offensive weapons.

1. DT to share time with Payne
2. ILB to share time with Foreman maybe Sharper
3. maybe a RB

if we draft or get FA RB he should be familiar with thezone blocking scheme that the Texans use, I think part of the problem with DD is that it not sure where to go or what holes to look for.

AndreJ said:
I doubt it will happen, but lets just say we were to get another offensive line coach, do yall think they would go back to reg. blocking or stick with zone blocking? I think it would be a complete wastes of everyones time if they did go back to regular blocking. That would be an entire year gone down the drain with no progress, then we'd be on a six year plan.

Why not. It is like we wasted 2 entire years because we switched to zone blocking in year 3 with disasterous results.

Everytime I mention 5 year plan on here now some people correct me and say that there never was a 5 year plan. And no one has yet to tell me how the plan that we supposedly don't have is evaluated to see if it working. There has to be a measuring stick yearly or something. Surely it isn't based soley on win/loss record. I think our defense is headed in the right direction it is the offense that concerns me. So much talent but....

Beastlyman2003 said:
1st Marcus Spears
2nd Ruud(ILB from Nebraska)
3A T.A. McLendon OR KayJay Harris
3B Gibson(WR from Georgia)

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

If we draft Fred Gibson I will tear my hair out!! That guy is the biggest weenie ever. He drops passes, is scared to go across the middle, and is injury prone. This guy sold his SEC championship ring on EBAY. Needless to say he got in trouble for it and revealed his real character. Don't draft Fred Gibson!!!! :taz:

DL-tons FA losses possible, 4 of 6, no young players developing
TE-Even with Joppru healthy, need more than one of quality
C-tons of guys who can play center, but none who can push McKinney
ILB-None drafted in 3 years,
CB-never can have too many of quality, Glenn not spring chicken
RB-Only if the guy is a true workhorse

Okay I can't count...only 3 asked for

Is Gary Walker getting the job done? NOOO! The only QB Walker has laid his hands on this entire season is David Carr and that was in the locker room! In the (Bench Babin and Start Peek thread) i said the same thing and suggested Peek as a LE because of his pass rushing skills even he might not do good stopping the run, and some guy laughed at me. Bottom line is G Walker is old and washed up, I haven't seen him beat an O-Lineman since last year and next to all of that he's always hurt!

I will give him credit for stopping the run and cloggin up the lanes however but thats it.

AndreJ said:
Is Gary Walker getting the job done? NOOO! The only QB Walker has laid his hands on this entire season is David Carr and that was in the locker room! In the (Bench Babin and Start Peek thread) i said the same thing and suggested Peek as a LE because of his pass rushing skills even he might not do good stopping the run, and some guy laughed at me. Bottom line is G Walker is old and washed up, I haven't seen him beat an O-Lineman since last year and next to all of that he's always hurt!

I will give him credit for stopping the run and cloggin up the lanes however but thats it.
Peek isn't a 3-4 lineman. All 3-4 linemen are 300 pounders and use two-gap techniques to absorb blocks to free up the linebackers.

yeah i understand he couldn't play as a lineman in the 3-4 defense, we'd get ran over, but when they call dime and prevent packages he would be nice to have in

If you watch enough games you will see they put him and Babin in as ends in a 3-point stance in many of their pass rush packages.

Wong, Peek, and Babin have all seen time as DE in Nickle and Dime packages. Peek isn't a solution at DE in the 3-4 though.

As for the needs I'd think our big three would be:

1. DL
2. RB
3. ILB or CB

It would be nice to have some young DLineman given a chance to adjust to the NFL without having to come in and play right away. I like Marcus Spears, but who knows what direction the team will got. We definately need to pick up a good RB, and we might be able to find a good one in the 2nd or 3rd. As many have mentioned we've never drafted an ILB in 3 years, and it would be nice to pick one up if he's the BPA (Best Player Available). CB is tempting too becuase Glenn may not have many more seasons left, and Faggins doesn't look like a starting caliber CB.

I think our three biggest "needs" are TE, RB, and ILB. I'd like to have a new starter in these three positions next season. Either FA or a first day pick.

beerlover said:
1). stop spilling beer on professional atheletes
2). join a beer club and learn what really good beer is all about
3). drink in moderation, use a desiganted driver & always be respectfull of the people sitting/standing around you.

I'm sorry what was the question again? Oh yeah, three things the Texans need to improve upon.

1). Speed up front in the defensive line- Marcus Spears
2). QB/offensive play calling- Spread the ball around to the WR's including the TE.
3). Pluck another pair (Wade, Smith) of premium free agents this offseason (Alge Crumpler TE/Atlanta & Lamont Jordan RB/Jets) both drafted in 2001 2nd round & ready to become big time offensive weapons.

LOL This post is funny !!!

don't we have 2 3rd round pick? so make it top 4 picks.

1.RB
2.ILB
3.DT/DE
4.OL

not in any particular order

What are the chances we can draft derrick johnson and have him play inside?

what are the chances of drafting cedrick benson?

I thought WR would be the issue but I like Derrick Armstrong (I hope he moves past Gaffney into #2).

In no particular order:
1. HB
2. TE
3. C
4. DE/DT
5. ILB

Ideally we can cover one or two of these needs in FA and find the other 3-4 on the first day of the draft.

atxcoolguy said:
What are the chances we can draft derrick johnson and have him play inside?

Apparently Derek Johnson is considered a chase tackler. Scouts think his biggest weakness is head on tackling. Chances of him playing middle linebacker are not very good.

bckey said:
I disagree with you on McKinney. I think he is the weak link in the line. Wand and Pitts are improving although I thought Pitts was way better as our LT than Wand. I don't understand why we switched Pitts but maybe Vinny knows. Wiegert has some years left in him and Wade is here to stay because of the price we paid for his services. As far as TE goes I'm hoping Joppru will be healthy next year and play up to expectations. If not then yes that would be another area we would have to address.

I am not Vinny, but as I recall, Pitts was a true guard out of college and that position means he may have to block left or right depending on play. Also he is listed @ 6'3" 320 lbs with quicker feet & Wand is 6'7" 327. Wand as a newer player usually has to block only one way and is a true tackle. As a bigger and theoretically stronger guy, he should do better against the defense best rusher. But then Pendry new line coach threw this new offensive blocking scheme in. I realize a lot of teams are zone blocking but if we don't get it by game 16, I suggest we switch back in 2005. All we had with the old scheme was 1000 yds for Davis and almost same for Andre.

Tight end? Joppru having sat for 2 years, needs to come on strong in off season and spring training or cut him. We can get by one more year with Miller and Breuner( 32 yoa but doesn't play much anyway) and Matt Murphy might end up being interesting next year @ 6'5" and 260 lb. Anywho, tight end had practically disappeared from our scheme until yesterday.

As Walker and Payne can not stay healthy and R. Smith has not been all that, I think first 2 picks should address dline. The Lbacks seem ok as we have seemingly given up the need for sacks from OLB. Need a back up plan for Foreman and I'd look there with 3rd pick from Dallas. Unsure what is available @ Free agent in off season. If a hotshot corner or safety avail @ Texan's pick in 3rd round, I'd go that way. I think we will draft no higher than 15.

I also have mixed emotions about Cedric Bensen. I do not think he would get any where near the carries he will need to be successful in H'town. :popcorn:

wags said:
Apparently Derek Johnson is considered a chase tackler. Scouts think his biggest weakness is head on tackling. Chances of him playing middle linebacker are not very good.
If we got him Id see him being the starting ROLB with Wong moving inside. He has to start and they arent going to replace the other 1 rounder Babin.

Defense has to be the top priority. After that I think we can go running back and tight end. We should be in the playoffs next year, and I don't want to hear about the so called 5 year plan. It has always been the 4 year plan. If we don't significantly improve our defense then we'll have to face the "5 year plan". I love the way David Pollack plays, but I don't know if he'll fit in our team and the scheme we run, but that guy goes all out every play.

1) Every down RB (Ronnie Brown)
2) Young D-lineman (Rodrique Wright or Marcus Spears)
3) ILB to pair with Sharper (Derrick Johnson)

I'm not a big college fan so i don't know to much about the players you guys have been listing i know Derrick Johnson is a beasts at ILB, but I've been hearing Marcus Spears name alot and you say he is a D-Lineman.

I just want to know what type of player spears is as far as his size and speed, and if he would be on the inside or outside in the 3-4 formation. Also what round high or low would you think he'd be drafted.

Thnx

Nawzer said:
Defense has to be the top priority. After that I think we can go running back and tight end. We should be in the playoffs next year, and I don't want to hear about the so called 5 year plan. It has always been the 4 year plan. If we don't significantly improve our defense then we'll have to face the "5 year plan". I love the way David Pollack plays, but I don't know if he'll fit in our team and the scheme we run, but that guy goes all out every play.

Pollack is almost a twin size-wise to Jason Babin. he appears to play quicker and with a higher motor than babin. Pollack faced a higher level of competition in college, but after his sophomore year he has not put up the crazy sack numbers that his reputation suggests.

Reddevil63 said:
Johnson is a OLB and Spears is a big end that wont get out of the first round.
At 6-4 and 220, Derrick Johnson would be a ILB in a 3-4.

Spears is a monster....

AndreJ said:
but I've been hearing Marcus Spears name alot and you say he is a D-Lineman.

I just want to know what type of player spears is as far as his size and speed, and if he would be on the inside or outside in the 3-4 formation.

He would play on the end in the 3-4... I would like to see him in a Texans uniform because he will provide much needed speed from the DE position. Our D-line is, overall, just too slow. We need somebody that can provide that speed from the line- somebody similar to NEs Richard Seymour.

Walker did well in this role the first year, but he is getting old and is slowing down... we need some youngins to rotate in and learn on the job to eventually take over.

TexSon said:
He would play on the end in the 3-4... I would like to see him in a Texans uniform because he will provide much needed speed from the DE position. Our D-line is, overall, just too slow. We need somebody that can provide that speed from the line- somebody similar to NEs Richard Seymour.

Walker did well in this role the first year, but he is getting old and is slowing down... we need some youngins to rotate in and learn on the job to eventually take over.

Yeah i agree our D-Line is very slow in the 3-4 atleast they just get no pressure on the QB if he decides to past, Robaire does a good job of batting the ball down at the line though i like that. And Payne has done i think very good in the past few weeks he has like two sacks coming str8 up the middle, but if the QB takes off he won't be caught by our lineman. I have'nt seen Walker do anything, he's always hurt and its about that time to retire. From what I hear it sounds like Marcus Spears would be very good. (Big ad Fast) Sounds like Warren Sapp.... keep in mind i dont watch college football and i dont know what this guy looks like.

Marcus Spears is a huge guy with some good speed. He's listed at 6'4 and 297 lbs. He is out of LSU, and he was originally slated to play as a TE. The coaches tried him at DE, and he's been there ever since.
Here's a few pictures of Spears so you get an idea of how big he is.

spears.jpg

capt.btx10311210302.mississippi_lsu_btx103.jpg

p1_spears_ap.jpg

Fiddy said:
At 6-4 and 220, Derrick Johnson would be a ILB in a 3-4.

Spears is a monster....
With all of this talk about his problems with head on tackling I figure theyd put him on the outside. :hmmm:

Reddevil63 said:
With all of this talk about his problems with head on tackling I figure theyd put him on the outside. :hmmm:

Scouts seem to think he would be better on the outside. Outside on a 4-3 team.

Why do I get so excited about the draft? Its like im about to open a present. A 6'4" 270 lbs present.

Back