Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you like Kasey Studdard?
I like him, I think he will be a starter this year or in the near future. 23 31.08%
I like him, I think he is solid depth on our O-Line. 45 60.81%
I think he will be cut this year in camp. 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-29-2008   #21
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do you feel about Kasey Studdard?

Its impossible to have an honest opinion on the guy without seeing him play at any length. Lots of "mean dudes" out there...but most of them can't play in the NFL. Who knows if Studdard can? I wasn't impressed when I did get to see him...but I haven't seen him enough to really have an opinion.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #22
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 157572 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

I think he'll be a starter in the NFL, because some guys are just football players. He'll have some rough stretches, and he still has some technique to learn, but I think he'll persevere and get it done. He has that attitude about him.
Old 01-29-2008   #23
austintexanite
All Pro

I think he has a good shot of starting for us next year if he works a bit harder. However, Brisiel played very well when he came in and it will be a battle for playing time. Either way, I think we end up winners because both players provide depth. I am anxious to see Kasey getting more playing time in the preseason and possibly the season to how much he has progressed in the offseason.
Old 01-29-2008   #24
TexanAddict
Texan 'til I Die

Rep Power: 77 TexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanAddict is a quality contributor and well respected

I think that there should be another option between "solid depth" and "cut"...something along the lines of "He was a rookie and barely saw any playing time, so I have very little to form an opinion on as to how he might fit into this team's long term plans"

That would be my pick.
TexanAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #25
adam
Guero

Rep Power: 12 adam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden coveradam could be on the next Madden cover
Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam Send a message via Yahoo to adam

The UT fan in me wants to believe that he could be a solid NFL starter in the near future...but he has a lot of work to do.

Sig by False Start on #69
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #26
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studdard64 View Post
I guess you could say I'm a fan.

Well one thing bout it we won't have to wait long one way or the other. The odds of Weary coming back are long. I've seen several on the board pimping Chrales Spencer....if he too can make it back, as the RG next year. Played a little gaurd in college therefore .....

I think if Studdard makes it, it will have to be at right gaurd. And to be honest I don't think currently, he has enough rocks in his pocket to do that. If he gets on the weights and improves his power, foot speed and quickness, he'll have a shot. They let Weary walk, that'll be good news for the Studdard clan.

There are so many question marks on the line at this time...I didn't vote.

Collins/Williams/ Cousins. Winston. Frye, Studard. Spencer. is my best guess.
Old 01-30-2008   #27
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
I would like to see Kasey prove me wrong, compete & win a starting position, but so far all I've seen is a back-up that needs to stay healthy & ready to go when needed.
I'm with you on this. Studdard (and Frye) got nicked up in camp and never seemed to get back to 100%. He was not available when we needed him.
Old 01-30-2008   #28
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
His one main problem I remember him having was quickness and lateral speed.
And that should result in being the "one main" reason he's released by the Texans, because its well known that Gibbs places a premium on athleticism in his OLine personnel. So unless Kubiaks kids start having his grandkids that are in need of babysitting, I dunno how he fits into the Texans plans ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #29
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
I like the Tude, but am still waiting to see if he has NFL level skills. Gibbs will find that out for sure. If he sticks around with Gibbs climbing up his backside and winds up starting, you can bet your bottom dollar that he is a player. Time will tell, but I suspect he makes it.
Word!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #30
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I said before that the Texans would start moving in the right direction once they got a Longhorn on the team. Kasey apparently made a bigger impact than I thought. Okay, so he probably had nil effect on the team, but I still think he's an outstanding player and has a chance. Will he crack the lineup? Will Salaam ever be removed from the lineup? Those are two questions that I'll have to be patient to find an answer for. But I think Studdard will at the very least make a great backup, and he has as good a shot at making the lineup in Houston as he does anywhere else...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #31
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe Gibbs can get the best out of the youngsters that seemed to have a bit of promise last year, Studdard being one of them. The others were Rashad Butler and Mike Brisiel. Brandon Frye looked good on paper - size and speed wise. Maybe Gibbs will develop him also. If Spencer comes back and we pick up a tackle on the first day of the draft, maybe our line will keep improving.

Hopefully, Salaam can go on to be the back-up he was originally brought in to be and Jordan Black can just go.
Old 01-31-2008   #32
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet he'd be a beast as a DT. Line him up over the Center and let'em eat.
Old 01-31-2008   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I remember arguing this point when it happened. I stated the line was soft for not stepping up for there QB and letting San Diego's DB go unpunished. Said he same thing when Haynesworth Tee'd off on Schaub, twice.

Its just not classy was the general response, they are just 300 lb wussies was mine.

When McNair was talking about Gibbs bringing a toughness to the line those hits immediately popped into my head. Hopefully Gibbs brings an attitude to the line.
Agreed. I am not into cheap shots but when that happened to Schaub and NO ONE did anything, I lost my cool. Every single player, cheer leader, equip guy and Mojo (God rest his soul) should have stormed the field. Laugh at TO all you want. I want that "He's my QB" attitude from all our players to all our players.
Old 01-31-2008   #34
Polo

The little bit I've seen from the Stud hasn't swayed me either way...

I definitely think he's atleast good depth though...
Old 01-31-2008   #35
Mean Machine
Veteran

Rep Power: 113 Mean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respectedMean Machine is a quality contributor and well respected

I think once he's healthy he'll really be a welcome addition to the O line....and the one thing I've read about Kasey and Spencer, both, it they both have that nasty dtreak in them. Coach Gibbs mantra is toughness, with soem nastiness thrown in. Let's hope they both come back healthy in '08....and as a side note on the nasty level, next time someone takes a pop at Schaub, lets hope that SOMEBODY steps up and pops the other guy back twice as hard, penalty be damned!
sec 637: Gridiron, Texas.
Mean Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #36
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 116 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Machine View Post
next time someone takes a pop at Schaub, lets hope that SOMEBODY steps up and pops the other guy back twice as hard, penalty be damned!
I hear what your saying and someone should have laid that bastard out but I'm hoping Gibbs doesn't change the line into those players who get out there after every play and tries to lay someone out. Take the penelty if it's a cheap shot but this bull that players get into is pointless.
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008   #37
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Honestly, I don't care if they have a nasty streak in them or not. I appreciate why others value the nasty streak, but it just doesn't rate highly for me. Most players with nasty streaks are more infamous than famous, so it doesn't impress me. Just give me a smart, solid left tackle - and a player who will be the cornerstone of the line for the next 5-10 years, not 1-3 years...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read