Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: How do you like Kasey Studdard?
I like him, I think he will be a starter this year or in the near future. 23 31.08%
I like him, I think he is solid depth on our O-Line. 45 60.81%
I think he will be cut this year in camp. 6 8.11%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-28-2008   #1
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default How do you feel about Kasey Studdard?

This subject came up just a couple hours ago. I was at Pluckers in Round Rock enjoying some wings and a brew and ended up sitting next to his uncle, Les Studdard. I happen to be wearing my Battle Red Demeco Ryans jersey, so the conversation turned to football.

Turns out, he played for UT also. We talked a little about the Alex Gibbs hire, I mentioned how he is perceived as a bit of hard ass but both of us agreed it would be good for the O-Line. I was able to remember when he was drafted, his playing time, etc. He said that Kasey is a bit agressive, wants to put his helmet on a guy and engage him and needs to be a little more patient with defensive stunts and being able to pull off of blocks and keep on your assignment. I told him we need a mean streak on both our lines. The fact that Schaub got hit in the jaw by a DB from San Diego and no one knocked his head off is a problem to which we both agreed. I also said I thought Studdard brought that kind of tough guy attitude we need a little more of. I also told him to please let Kasey know that we appreciate him, especially the hardcore fanbase that we are.

It was pretty cool, I am sure I will run into him again soon.

Personally I like Kasey alot, I like his attitude, I like his toughness, and I hope he works his way into a lot more playing time in the upcoming season.
Old 01-28-2008   #2
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How do you feel about Kasey Studdard?

I like the Tude, but am still waiting to see if he has NFL level skills. Gibbs will find that out for sure. If he sticks around with Gibbs climbing up his backside and winds up starting, you can bet your bottom dollar that he is a player. Time will tell, but I suspect he makes it.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #3
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will be a starter. However, I feel that our hybrid power scheme was a better fit for him. His one main problem I remember him having was quickness and lateral speed. I actually remember Mac Brown talking about his players at the pro-day? saying that Studdard would be a good player but not test as well as hoped for.

With that said, I still feel Studdard will be an NFL starter soon.
Old 01-28-2008   #4
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Studdard and his streak. Seems to me the kind of attitude that can change a line when you see a guy putting a defender down and enjoy it. I remember being pretty impressed with his during some snaps during pre-season.

I bet if he cracks the line up he won't leave it barring injury.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #5
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24723 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, after voting I see I'm all alone out on the fringe (that's my lone vote on the "get cut" end)... Maybe you all have seen more than I have (e.g. I did not follow his career at UT), but in the little bit I got to see him play last year, I thought he had a long way to go. I was really disappointed after hearing him get a fair amount of hype (along the lines of posts in this thread) about becoming our future starter. Again, though, I haven't seen much of him (e.g. I didn't know he was known for having a mean streak), so hopefully I'm completely wrong (it wouldn't be the first time).

Regarding the poll, "cut in this year's camp" is harsher than I really feel, but I didn't see anything that would put him in the "solid depth" category, either. I certainly think we could upgrade the OG position, if the opportunity presented itself.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #6
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected

No comment, I'm the worst at evaluating Olinemen. Haven't seen enough of him to make a judgment on him.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #7
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 160 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

the line he played for at UT was the best ive ever seen. Im young and have only been following college football for 5-6 years, but still the best ive seen in college. Hes a smart guy and works hard, he'll be in there sooner than later. If he stays healthy...

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2008   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Where is the "Don't know, he hasn't played in a game that means anything and when he was going to get a chance to play and prove his worth he hurt his groin." option?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #9
hookinreds
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12220 hookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respectedhookinreds is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
This subject came up just a couple hours ago. I was at Pluckers in Round Rock enjoying some wings and a brew and ended up sitting next to his uncle, Les Studdard. I happen to be wearing my Battle Red Demeco Ryans jersey, so the conversation turned to football.

Turns out, he played for UT also. We talked a little about the Alex Gibbs hire, I mentioned how he is perceived as a bit of hard ass but both of us agreed it would be good for the O-Line. I was able to remember when he was drafted, his playing time, etc. He said that Kasey is a bit agressive, wants to put his helmet on a guy and engage him and needs to be a little more patient with defensive stunts and being able to pull off of blocks and keep on your assignment. I told him we need a mean streak on both our lines. The fact that Schaub got hit in the jaw by a DB from San Diego and no one knocked his head off is a problem to which we both agreed. I also said I thought Studdard brought that kind of tough guy attitude we need a little more of. I also told him to please let Kasey know that we appreciate him, especially the hardcore fanbase that we are.

It was pretty cool, I am sure I will run into him again soon.

Personally I like Kasey alot, I like his attitude, I like his toughness, and I hope he works his way into a lot more playing time in the upcoming season.
Dang, and I was going to go for the $.30 wings and $1 beers...you got the happy meal!
hookinreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Where is the "Don't know, he hasn't played in a game that means anything and when he was going to get a chance to play and prove his worth he hurt his groin." option?
Sorry I left that one out.
Old 01-28-2008   #11
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Studdard really needs to concentrate on his technique, but I feel that he will be a solid offensive lineman for years to come. As for his position, I would love to see him at center instead of guard.
Old 01-28-2008   #12
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Studdard really needs to concentrate on his technique, but I feel that he will be a solid offensive lineman for years to come. As for his position, I would love to see him at center instead of guard.
Same here.I think he needs to bulk up a little bit too but he will be fine.
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think right now he's a good back up to have and to groom. He was drafted in the 6th round so I didn't expect him to start at all last season. I think he's a guy you groom into a solid backup and if he's good enough to start, you start him. Havn't seen anything that tells me he's going to be a probowl guard but I see no reason to get rid of him because he hasn't excelled yet.

I'm looking forward to watching Gibbs develop this line up good and solid. I really want some impact O-linemen that dominate but also want to see him hand selecting later round guys that develop into good players.

Could you imagine if Frye, Studdard, Spencer, and Winston all become our starters!? Personally I'd love to see Spencer come back healthy and play RG, with Winston playing RT. Those would be our 3rd rd 'twins' playing next to each other.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #14
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookinreds View Post
Dang, and I was going to go for the $.30 wings and $1 beers...you got the happy meal!
You should have went, it was crazy especially for a Monday night, people were lined up outside. The $1 beer thing was 9 oz. Miller High Life only, but the wings were as good as normal. I also got my name on the plaque the unveiled as part of the promotion, that's why I was there, it was a good time, hope to see you up there again sometime.
Old 01-29-2008   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see Kasey prove me wrong, compete & win a starting position, but so far all I've seen is a back-up that needs to stay healthy & ready to go when needed.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #16
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24551 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I like him. I voted for the solid depth choice however I also would have selected the " I don't know. He didn't get any substantial playing time." choice. I do like his ferociousness. I don't see his technique being a plus though. I'm no Oline guru but that's what I watch the most when I'm at the games. He seems kind of bull headed. I don't know if that will last in the NFL. We'll see though. It would seem that there is a lot of unknowns now with Alex Gibbs here. I don't know how much our line is going to turn over.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #17
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I voted he was cut, and i want to be wrong, but until he shows he stay healthy, and play for Gibbs...

He does show the attitude that Gibbs reportedly likes.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #18
Studdard64
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Studdard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respectedStuddard64 is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess you could say I'm a fan.

Old 01-29-2008   #19
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 91895 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan View Post
I told him we need a mean streak on both our lines. The fact that Schaub got hit in the jaw by a DB from San Diego and no one knocked his head off is a problem to which we both agreed.
I remember arguing this point when it happened. I stated the line was soft for not stepping up for there QB and letting San Diego's DB go unpunished. Said he same thing when Haynesworth Tee'd off on Schaub, twice.

Its just not classy was the general response, they are just 300 lb wussies was mine.

When McNair was talking about Gibbs bringing a toughness to the line those hits immediately popped into my head. Hopefully Gibbs brings an attitude to the line.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #20
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 147070 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought he was ok on american idol, but doesn't have much flash. His brother the olineman is ite' though.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read