Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-28-2008   #1
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Man what round will this guy go his stock is high right about now.

Old 01-28-2008   #2
rmartin65
I'm Score

Rep Power: 53272 rmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respectedrmartin65 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Very good small school corner. He might slip into the first, but I would say the second round.
rmartin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #3
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

He's my guy. Take him at the eighteen and don't look back. He covers CB this season and moves to free Safty down the line. We'll have a shot at ten and six if they draft him.
Old 01-28-2008   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
He's my guy. Take him at the eighteen and don't look back. He covers CB this season and moves to free Safty down the line. We'll have a shot at ten and six if they draft him.
He looks like a natural corner to me. No reason to switch him to safety.

I don't think we reach for him at 18, and we won't be able to get him at the 81.

Same goes for Dunta. Dunta is a natural cornerback, I don't understand why people want him to move.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #5
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't consider Daunta to be a "natural" CB, as he gives too much space and seems to have somewhat stiff hips to be classified as a "natural".

However, on topic, Cromartie is similar in many ways to the Cromartie of the Chargers. Though they share no family ties, they are both physical freaks in terms of CB's. They both have great size and have production on the field. I don't know if I would take Cromartie at 18, as he isn't a day 1 starter IMO, but he is a guy who will surprise early. Cromartie needs time to develop, and at 18, we are looking for an instant starter. Also, I don't think his value is as high as McKelvin, Talib, or Cason. However, I would take him over guys like King or Dribble.
Old 01-28-2008   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54460 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
However, on topic, Cromartie is similar in many ways to the Cromartie of the Chargers. Though they share no family ties, they are both physical freaks in terms of CB's. They both have great size and have production on the field. I don't know if I would take Cromartie at 18, as he isn't a day 1 starter IMO, but he is a guy who will surprise early. Cromartie needs time to develop, and at 18, we are looking for an instant starter. Also, I don't think his value is as high as McKelvin, Talib, or Cason. However, I would take him over guys like King or Dribble.
I think he is up there with Flowers, Porter, and Thomas in value. I'd take him before a guy like Tribble or King as well. Cromartie from the Chargers was pretty raw when he came out too but 3 years later we see what's happened. Having said that I will repeat something that YTF said and that is we are looking for a starter with our first pick.
Old 01-28-2008   #7
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56209 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan View Post
I don't consider Daunta to be a "natural" CB, as he gives too much space and seems to have somewhat stiff hips to be classified as a "natural".

They are cousins actually.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-28-2008   #8
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I think he is up there with Flowers, Porter, and Thomas in value. I'd take him before a guy like Tribble or King as well. Cromartie from the Chargers was pretty raw when he came out too but 3 years later we see what's happened. Having said that I will repeat something that YTF said and that is we are looking for a starter with our first pick.
This is true, and I think the Chargers' Cromartie does nothing but enhance the value of the Tennessee State's Cromartie. However, when the first Cromartie came out of Florida State, he had previously shown he could perform at the highest level of college football to an exceptional degree, and the only thing that was holding him back were questions and concerns about his knee. The Cromartie from Tenn St. has questions about competition, but both possess similar attributes, and are considered "raw" but they are/were both deemed to have tremendous upside in comparison to other CB's in the draft.
Old 01-28-2008   #9
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
He looks like a natural corner to me. No reason to switch him to safety.

I don't think we reach for him at 18, and we won't be able to get him at the 81.

Same goes for Dunta. Dunta is a natural cornerback, I don't understand why people want him to move.
one of the pay sites I subscribe to already has him upgraded to round one. with cb being primary position & FS as back-up.

regardless his body type reminds me of Jacoby Jones but even thinner. one hard NFL sized hit & @ this point he is a high reward, high risk pick better left for a team that can survive without his services for extended periods of time until he can build up his body. the Texans need sure fire starting material that can hold up over the course of an NFL season.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #10
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
They are cousins actually.
hmm...

I would have sworn I read that they shared no relation. O well. Rep your way.
Old 01-28-2008   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
one of the pay sites I subscribe to already has him upgraded to round one. with cb being primary position & FS as back-up.

regardless his body type reminds me of Jacoby Jones but even thinner. one hard NFL sized hit & @ this point he is a high reward, high risk pick better left for a team that can survive without his services for extended periods of time until he can build up his body. the Texans need sure fire starting material that can hold up over the course of an NFL season.
Yeah, I've seen him listed in the 1st on a site or two as well, but in terms of his percieved value to the Texans, it should be lower than other teams for the exact reasons we both mention. We can't draft a project in the first to develop him. I would love to draft him as I think he will turn out to be a very good CB, but his value is over-inflating itself to the point where he is no longer of proper value to us.
Old 01-28-2008   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Agree with all of the last 5 or 6 posts.
Old 01-28-2008   #13
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Do I seriously have to give reputation to everybody on the site before I could give it to somebody else twice?

Anyways, I think a lot of the CB's like McKelvin, and Cromartie are going to get hyped too much that they might be gone by the time we pick.

I was really hoping McKelvin was going to stay kind of mediocre so we could nab him later in the draft, but it seems that just won't happen.

Anyways, I like the idea of having Cromartie on our team, but not for the price of our first round pick, because I think he would get abused and crushed egotistically if we picked him and made him start right away. I think he would need a bit of development so that his confidence will remain intact, but I do think he could be a monster.
Old 01-28-2008   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Do I seriously have to give reputation to everybody on the site before I could give it to somebody else twice?

Anyways, I think a lot of the CB's like McKelvin, and Cromartie are going to get hyped too much that they might be gone by the time we pick.

I was really hoping McKelvin was going to stay kind of mediocre so we could nab him later in the draft, but it seems that just won't happen.

Anyways, I like the idea of having Cromartie on our team, but not for the price of our first round pick, because I think he would get abused and crushed egotistically if we picked him and made him start right away. I think he would need a bit of development so that his confidence will remain intact, but I do think he could be a monster.
I don't actually think McKelvin's stock will stay as high as it is right now. I don't think he will show top end speed at the combine, and the same with strength. His size will be played out as we near the draft as well.
Old 01-28-2008   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
These were my exact feelings towards Fred Bennett early this last season. Everyone was calling for him just b/c he couldn't be worse than Faggins. Hard to tell what woulda happened but I think the staff was wise letting him get used to the league for a few games...
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #16
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 95 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

what in the world is Mel Kiper thinking he had Aqib Talib in the top 10 on his mock draft on ESPN.
Old 01-28-2008   #17
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
These were my exact feelings towards Fred Bennett early this last season. Everyone was calling for him just b/c he couldn't be worse than Faggins. Hard to tell what woulda happened but I think the staff was wise letting him get used to the league for a few games...
Cromartie might be a guy that doesn't perform almost at all his first year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
what in the world is Mel Kiper thinking he had Aqib Talib in the top 10 on his mock draft on ESPN.
Dude, Talib is a top player.
Old 01-28-2008   #18
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Do you just try to piss me off?
Old 01-29-2008   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
how dare he make an educated guess on a subject he knows plenty about considering a player that's one of the best at his position to enter this year's draft. how dare he!
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #20
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1964 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Hard to tell what woulda happened but I think the staff was wise letting him get used to the league for a few games...
And I thought it was because he tweaked his hamstring...
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read