Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-27-2008   #1
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowboys to Deal With Phins

There is no way I'd draft McFadden and give up Barber. The draft is decently deep. You can grab a WR and a CB with your two picks. You can still get a Ray Rice type in the 2nd. We can also see how Tyson Thompson does. Just a bad move if this happens. I can see Jones doing it though.

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Quote:
‘BOYS TO MAKE A DEAL WITH THE FINS?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2008, 12:53 p.m.
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen suggested during a special edition of Sunday NFL Countdown that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is eyeing the possibility of swinging a trade with the Dolphins for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft.

Such a deal would allow the ‘Boys to bag running back Darren McFadden, who played college football at Jones’ alma mater of Arkansas.

Per Mort, any such deal would have to include the rights to Cowboys running back Marion Barber, who is slated to be a restricted free agent. To make it happen, the Cowboys would have to work out a sign-and-trade deal before Barber gets a chance to ink an offer sheet that would force the Cowboys to match the terms or let him go in exchange for compensation. Thus, the safest bet for the ‘Boys would be to tender Barber at the highest possible level, which would force any team that signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick. Those extra picks then could be used to sweeten the pot for the top spot in the draft.

And it’s clear that the Cowboys are going to have to find a way to enhance the two first-rounders that they can offer up for the No. 1 pick. Under the revised draft order, the Cowboys pick at No. 22 (from Cleveland) and at No. 28. Under the trade chart, the No. 22 overall pick is worth 780 points and the No. 28 selection is worth 660 points. The No. 1 selection has a value of 3,000 points; thus, the Cowboys would be a whopping 1,560 points short.

Though the trade chart arguably needs to be adjusted to reflect the fact that the enormous financial investment that is now required when using the top pick makes the prospects of a move up even more fraught with risk, the Fins could justify the 1,560-point gap by placing that value on Barber, who coupled with Ronnie Brown could give Miami a deadly one-two punch in the backfield.

Some readers think that the framework for a deal is already in place, and was part of the unspoken understanding that allowed the Dolphins to have their way with the Dallas front office. If that’s true it wouldn’t surprise us. Jones surely covets McFadden, and our guess is that he is willing to do whatever is necessary to get him.
Old 01-27-2008   #2
ATX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143 ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respectedATX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cowboys to Deal With Phins

Stupid move if true by the Cowgirls. Sure McFadden might be a great prospect, but to give up a known in Barber plus both 1st round picks and possibly more is a bonehead move. Oh well, I won't be crying if it happens.
ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

guess they figure they basically made a trade of McFadden for Brady Quinn?
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX View Post
Stupid move if true by the Cowgirls. Sure McFadden might be a great prospect, but to give up a known in Barber plus both 1st round picks and possibly more is a bonehead move. Oh well, I won't be crying if it happens.
I would think they'd want to bolster offensive line or secondary
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Deja vu, Jerry, deja vu:

CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #6
StarStruck
Site Contributor

Section: 115 Q6
Rep Power: 22174 StarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respectedStarStruck is a quality contributor and well respected

I read on another board about a possible interest in McFadden. I would prefer to address a few other needs such as a corner and another WR as I believe that Glenn's best days are behind him even if he doesn't retire. I like Barber, but think that we still need another good back to help e.g., Felix Jones. It appeared to me during the game against the Giants, that MBIII was somewhat exhausted after the first half. I like the way Peterson and Taylor works out for the Vikings, and hopefully we could come up with a similar plan.
StarStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #7
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

i would rather have barber over Mcfadden any day, hes one of the most underrated players ina ll of footbal(barber)..... i would love for this to happen, but thats cuz i hate the cowboys......

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2008   #8
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 30061 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarStruck View Post
I read on another board about a possible interest in McFadden. I would prefer to address a few other needs such as a corner and another WR as I believe that Glenn's best days are behind him even if he doesn't retire. I like Barber, but think that we still need another good back to help e.g., Felix Jones. It appeared to me during the game against the Giants, that MBIII was somewhat exhausted after the first half. I like the way Peterson and Taylor works out for the Vikings, and hopefully we could come up with a similar plan.
I've repeated it 50 times on here and other boards but the draft is set up well for their needs. They can grab a WR and CB, their two biggest needs. Glen not only is older but he is having another surgery and is probably gone. TO is the same age at 34. They need to get younger. SB definitely too. They can still grab a RB in Rd 2 and they actually still have Tyson Thompson too if JJ doesn't come back. Barber is the toughness that the team sometimes lacks.
Old 01-27-2008   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Jerry Jones' man love for McFadden rivals the man love that half the city of Houston had (in some cases still has) for Vince Young

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #10
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Jones said 9 months ago that he likes McFadden so suddenly everyone thinks he's willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to get him.

the math doesn't work. the logic doesn't work. not happening. at least not with Miami. if McFadden falls a bit, then maybe.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #11
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope they'd do it. I'd laugh so hard.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #12
Overalls
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63 Overalls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respectedOveralls is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
I hope they'd do it. I'd laugh so hard.
I co-sign this statement.

If it is a not very bright move. I am all for the Cowboys doing it.

Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Jones said 9 months ago that he likes McFadden so suddenly everyone thinks he's willing to do absolutely whatever it takes to get him.

the math doesn't work. the logic doesn't work. not happening. at least not with Miami. if McFadden falls a bit, then maybe.
I agree and I think Mort has been desperate for news like this for a bit. I don't trust any of his reports when it comes to rumors.
Old 01-28-2008   #14
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3261 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Quote:

May have worked with your old GM, but I have a feeling you guys wont be making those mistakes again.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

McFadden is an offense changing player....He could impact a team like Peterson did this year with the Vikings. I don't see the Dolphins trading for a back....why would the Fins want Barber when they have Ronnie Brown anyway? They can find a complimentary back on the second day of the draft.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I agree and I think Mort has been desperate for news like this for a bit. I don't trust any of his reports when it comes to rumors.
I agree. For me, that goes for anything espn. For things like this I'll take Schefter's word before anyone elses.

Schefter may not be correct all the time, but man, he's pretty dadgum good at what he does.

This is why I'm still leary on rumor of the Texans hiring Rhodes. Schefter hasn't even mentioned it as a possibility yet. :elle:
Old 01-28-2008   #17
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
McFadden is an offense changing player....He could impact a team like Peterson did this year with the Vikings. I don't see the Dolphins trading for a back....why would the Fins want Barber when they have Ronnie Brown anyway? They can find a complimentary back on the second day of the draft.
i dont understand why they would want Mcfadden when they have Barber? he is a monster, i would love to have him in a texans uniform, he knocks people out!!!

im with the guys who would be laughing at this move!!

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Which is basically what you said about the Raiders passing on JaMarkus Russel last year there Kastofnsa ?

The deal makes sense....they've been one and done twice now. The WR #2 just may be hanging it up...they need a mule to hitch up the wagon and drag the star to the SB.They got depth by the bucket fulls. If the mule gets them to four conecutive SBs...it's not too high a price to pay.

And Miami is OLD. They need the transfusinon of tallent more than the need the sixty million dollar DE or OLT. Plus extra picks in thier back pocket....It puts Miami in the '09 sweeps for that no tallent heisman winner. They will control the '09 board.

So I called this awhile back do I win ?

Basiclly J.J. gets a splash for his new stadium and the Tuna gains controll over the '09 draft board with Teebow sitting ontop of it. From my prespective both guys get what they want. Egos fed.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 01-28-2008 at 12:29 PM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #19
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
i dont understand why they would want Mcfadden when they have Barber? he is a monster, i would love to have him in a texans uniform, he knocks people out!!!

im with the guys who would be laughing at this move!!
I understand the fascination but the one thing they lacked this year at the end was a closing mentality and Barber has that toughness and mentaility. On the other hand if it is Barber and the 2 picks, Dallas would be way below the trade number value of picks...Barber would make that up. I just think Dallas needs WR and CB much more and they really could parlay the picks into more and have a Barber/2nd round pick RB combo if they want. I mean as I have said the rumor used to be that Tyson Thompson was as good as Julius but he fell a little bit out of favor the end of the year.
Old 01-28-2008   #20
toronto
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 42996 toronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respectedtoronto is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
my sentiments exactly...

Follow me @blakegk on twitter...the entertainment never stops...
toronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read