Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-27-2008   #1
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Free Agent DE vs. Mario Williams

Ok guys who do you go want as a free agent DE pass rusher opposite Super Mario my list posted below.

1. Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens - I would love to have Mr. Suggs but the price will be too steep.

2. Justin Smith, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals - This may be the Ideal guy because of his motor and the price might be right.

3. Jared Allen, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs - THis guy is super but price might be to much.

4. Mike Rucker, UFA, Carolina Panthers - Might be come on the cheap side since he is coming off knee surgery.

Old 01-27-2008   #2
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free Agent DE vs. Mario Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Ok guys who do you go want as a free agent DE pass rusher opposite Super Mario my list posted below.

1. Terrell Suggs, UFA, Baltimore Ravens - I would love to have Mr. Suggs but the price will be too steep.

2. Justin Smith, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals - This may be the Ideal guy because of his motor and the price might be right.

3. Jared Allen, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs - THis guy is super but price might be to much.

4. Mike Rucker, UFA, Carolina Panthers - Might be come on the cheap side since he is coming off knee surgery.

I think jared allen would freakin murder on the opposite of Mario, but he might cost to much like you say. I like suggs too but also the same problem. Id realy like to draft one, i think it would be sick to have one groomed along with johnson/williams/okoye....

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #3
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Number 2 or 3.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #4
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Those first 3 guys will have a great chance of being franchised by their respected teams, so to talk about free agents now is just a pipe dream until you know who will be a true free agent.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #5
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Those first 3 guys will have a great chance of being franchised by their respected teams, so to talk about free agents now is just a pipe dream until you know how will be a true free agent.
And Rucker is expected to retire
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #6
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesmanTexanfan View Post
I think jared allen would freakin murder on the opposite of Mario, but he might cost to much like you say. I like suggs too but also the same problem. Id realy like to draft one, i think it would be sick to have one groomed along with johnson/williams/okoye....
I like the Marcus Howard Kid from Georgia he killed Colt Brennan in the Sugar Bowl.
Old 01-27-2008   #7
WesmanTexanfan
SeNior Smack

Rep Power: 159 WesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedWesmanTexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I like the Marcus Howard Kid from Georgia he killed Colt Brennan in the Sugar Bowl.
YES!!!! that whole team killed Colt Brenan, I would love to get that kid.

Thanks Texan Rocky and Brando for the Avatar and Sig!
WesmanTexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-27-2008   #8
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

After thinking about it for a bit, I believe Justin Smith would be the best value DE. We'd have to spend money to get him here but we should still have room to get other key FAs after signing him which wouldn't be possible if we signed Suggs or Allen imo.

I think Smith could give us KVB production with his skillset and high motor playing alongside Mario, TJ and Amobiwan.
Old 01-27-2008   #9
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Those first 3 guys will have a great chance of being franchised by their respected teams, so to talk about free agents now is just a pipe dream until you know who will be a true free agent.
I don't think Smith is in danger of being franchised, personally. I wouldn't pay that type of money for him. The Bengals have decent cap space but they may want to spend elsewhere. Franchising is Huge $$. He is good but not elite.
Old 01-27-2008   #10
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
I don't think Smith is in danger of being franchised, personally. I wouldn't pay that type of money for him. The Bengals have decent cap space but they may want to spend elsewhere. Franchising is Huge $$. He is good but not elite.
I agree I think they may go after Suggs since they have the cap space and they haven't been happy with smith's production so we will have a good shot at landing Smith.
Old 01-27-2008   #11
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
Number 2 or 3.
Sorry dude. I just saw the movie "The Number 23" and your post freaks me out. :elle:
DexmanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is what I don't understand about Suggs, Doesn't he come from a 34? Maybe with the exception of a MLB and NT, the front sevens of 34/43 are not interchangeable. IMO I think Suggs would be best suited to stay in a 34 system, see Anthony Weaver.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 304671 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
This is what I don't understand about Suggs, Doesn't he come from a 34? Maybe with the exception of a MLB and NT, the front sevens of 34/43 are not interchangeable. IMO I think Suggs would be best suited to stay in a 34 system, see Anthony Weaver.
They aren't always interchangeable but often it is just a nomenclature change. Look at Miami swapping in and out of 4-3 and 3-4 with Jason Taylor going from DE to OLB. Same thing with Suggs where he has played LB and DE. He goes 260 lbs which is the same as quite a few 4-3 DE's. Weaver is a totally different cat.
Old 01-27-2008   #14
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:

I'd take any of them.
Old 01-27-2008   #15
PHAROAH
All Pro

I wonder we decided to sign Anthony Waever in the first place and he played as a 3-4 DE in Baltimore and we run a 4-3 defense I wonder why we wasted the money on a guy who wasn't a good fit for what we wanted?
Old 01-27-2008   #16
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We have more pressing needs at other positions. I'll pass on a high priced D-lineman.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #17
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69450 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wonder we decided to sign Anthony Waever in the first place and he played as a 3-4 DE in Baltimore and we run a 4-3 defense I wonder why we wasted the money on a guy who wasn't a good fit for what we wanted?
He was a veteran player with a high rep around the league. He could bring leadership to the team.

On top of that, he actually wanted to come here, which has been the hardest part for the Texans so far.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #18
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Did Justin Smith have an off year last season? He had 78 tackles which was 2nd most in his 7 year career but only 2 sacks

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #19
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IIRC, we hadn't made the decision yet to switch to the 43 and Weaver was a well thought of 34 DE. With the switch, he is pretty much out of his element as a guy who takes on the line to allow the line backers to make the plays as he did in the 34. Good player, wrong scheme for him.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #20
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Did Justin Smith have an off year last season? He had 78 tackles which was 2nd most in his 7 year career but only 2 sacks
Name 1 other person on the Bengals Defensive line.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read