Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2008   #1
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gregg Williams for DC

I just saw that Gregg Williams was released as Defensive Coordinator of the Redskins. I know he likes the 34 defense he learned under Buddy Ryan, but I bet he could make one helluva improvement over our present DC and you don't spend as much time as he has in the NFL and NOT understand the 4-3 and how to make it succesful. What do you guys think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregg_Williams
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gregg Williams for DC

The Jags and Rams have beaten you to the punch.........they've already sought permission to interview........
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Why do you need permission to interview someone who's unemployed? Besides, he has deep Houston roots....
Old 01-26-2008   #4
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 74351 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

As cool as it would be, I think that I would rather stay in a 4-3 like we have. I think going back and changing the entire scheme will regress all of the progresss we have made.

On the other hand, this is hilarious, as it looks like the Redskins and the Raiders are going to be the laughing stocks of the league.
Old 01-26-2008   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
As cool as it would be, I think that I would rather stay in a 4-3 like we have. I think going back and changing the entire scheme will regress all of the progresss we have made.

On the other hand, this is hilarious, as it looks like the Redskins and the Raiders are going to be the laughing stocks of the league.
I will be POed if we even considered a 3-4.
Old 01-26-2008   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Why do you need permission to interview someone who's unemployed? Besides, he has deep Houston roots....

This is why:

Quote:
The person familiar with the selection process said that the Redskins have granted the St. Louis Rams permission to interview both Williams and Saunders for coordinator positions. The person said the Rams had to seek permission because, even though Williams and Saunders were told they were being dismissed, the team hasn't formally terminated their contracts.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #7
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

the skins run a 4-3??
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-26-2008   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

He isn't a perfect fit but he would bring more experience and success to the table than Richard Smith has. With the Rhodes hiring, its pretty obvious that we are stuck errrrr set with Richard Smith as our DC in 08.
Old 01-26-2008   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't the story also speak of his personality and how it works well with fans, but not so great within the team itself?

Kubiak seems to be a "No Drama Allowed" sort of person.

[sarcasm] We already have the best DC in the league anyways [/sarcasm]

P.S. Can we find or create a smiley that wears an army helmet, and the guy is going bonkers with energy and enthusiasm?
Old 01-26-2008   #10
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

You guys are too funny. Wake me when you actually get Smith out the door.

will agree, fwiiw, the only coach you will see infront of a microphone is Kubiak. That is by design. Many chiefs on the vessel. Only one captian. The Captain tells the chiefs where to stear the boat. I get it.
Old 01-26-2008   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
You guys are too funny. Wake me when you actually get Smith out the door.

will agree, fwiiw, the only coach you will see infront of a microphone is Kubiak. That is by design. Many chiefs on the vessel. Only one captian. The Captain tells the chiefs where to stear the boat. I get it.
tell that to Lane Kiffen

we are spoiled to have such great ownership, whats transpiring in Oakland makes me sick to my stomach. Al Davis is a complete, total & yes Richard is going nowhere soon, he is getting a shot in the arm w/Rhodes
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #12
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I know he likes the 34 defense he learned under Buddy Ryan...
That's the 46 or "Bears" defense.
Old 01-27-2008   #13
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

If they think Richard Smith deserves another year than so do I. When we originally hired smith I was happy with the hire because he had shown a willingness to be aggressive on defense.. and im sure that willingness is still there.

By surrounding him with more experience and knowledge (Rhodes) I think we may see more of the kind of defense that I originally was hoping Smith would run (AGGRESSIVE!).. I think that added knowledge will give Smith more ideas and help with how to run it properly (meaning.. without opening ourselves up to huge plays).
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #14
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

This apologist attitude towards Smith smacks of the same excuse laden apologist attitude during the final years of David Carr. No one held him accountable until it was too late and it was blatantly obvious the guy sucked. Seems like some are taking the same position towards Richard Smith.

Adding Rhodes may help but until we get a decent DC, don't expect a whole lot out of that unit. Richard Smith sucks.....period, and just because Texans brass is too proud or niiiiiice to do something about it doesn't mean things are going to be fine. This is a results oriented business and people need to be held accountable and continuing to make excuses or rationalizations is the same damn thing that happened during Carr's meteoric fall to All-Time Biggest Bust status. Do we really want to throw another year away with Smith as DC? No more excuses.....We want results.
Old 01-27-2008   #15
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

Agree'd , The Texans have spent too much money and Three 1st round picks on personell to fit the 4-3 in Mario Williams , Amobe and Travis Johnson . None of dwhich I see working out well in the 3-4 . That would be taking one hell of a step back .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 191640 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grid View Post
If they think Richard Smith deserves another year than so do I. When we originally hired smith I was happy with the hire because he had shown a willingness to be aggressive on defense.. and im sure that willingness is still there.

By surrounding him with more experience and knowledge (Rhodes) I think we may see more of the kind of defense that I originally was hoping Smith would run (AGGRESSIVE!).. I think that added knowledge will give Smith more ideas and help with how to run it properly (meaning.. without opening ourselves up to huge plays).

To be aggressive you first have to have DB's who can cover .... The injuries in the secondary havent helped .

The other thing this team needs is a LB or DB who is a real threat to get to the QB ..... Im not sure that person is on the roster .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

People do realize that Gregg Williams has run 4-3 defenses before, right? Didn't they even run a 4-3 when he was head coach at Buffalo?
Old 01-27-2008   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
This apologist attitude towards Smith smacks of the same excuse laden apologist attitude during the final years of David Carr. No one held him accountable until it was too late and it was blatantly obvious the guy sucked. Seems like some are taking the same position towards Richard Smith.

Adding Rhodes may help but until we get a decent DC, don't expect a whole lot out of that unit. Richard Smith sucks.....period, and just because Texans brass is too proud or niiiiiice to do something about it doesn't mean things are going to be fine. This is a results oriented business and people need to be held accountable and continuing to make excuses or rationalizations is the same damn thing that happened during Carr's meteoric fall to All-Time Biggest Bust status. Do we really want to throw another year away with Smith as DC? No more excuses.....We want results.
Post of the year.
Old 01-27-2008   #19
Lucky

Rep Power: 163616 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
People do realize that Gregg Williams has run 4-3 defenses before, right? Didn't they even run a 4-3 when he was head coach at Buffalo?
Yes, Williams has always run a base 4-3 defense. He has also incorporated the 46 defense, which is run with 4-3 base personnel.
Old 01-27-2008   #20
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80254 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Post of the year.
To each his own, I guess. I thought the post sucked. Blew chunks as a matter of fact. Dude can't get past David Carr.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read