Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2008   #21
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Javon Walker & Bernard Berian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
With all the "immediate help required" positions we have on this team, the LAST position we need to be thinking of spending precious cap $$$ on is WR. IMO, we HAVE TWO good # 2's in KW and AD. JJ might make it 3 good # 2's by TC. Who knows...maybe even Mathis can stay healthy for an entire year... We are as set as 90% of the teams in the NFL at WR. We NEED a good FS and CB more than anything. Salaams replacement needs some serious contemplation also, not to mention Green and (hopefully) Weaver and/or Kalu, TJ.
point taken, but you are forgetting that Andre Davis is a UFA. Mathis is done. Jones needs to step up but without AD we are lacking talent at WR.
Old 01-26-2008   #22
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
point taken, but you are forgetting that Andre Davis is a UFA. Mathis is done. Jones needs to step up but without AD we are lacking talent at WR.
Not forgetting Davis is an UFA; expecting team to sign him for the very reasons you mention. Jones has the potential to be HUGE in this league, but then, so it seemed with Mathis. Don't forget OD in the recieving game. I know he had some bad moments this year, but he's still a top 2nd tier TE and defenses just can't cover EVERYONE. Sad but true...WR is our 2nd deepest position behind QB.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #23
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget about Javon Walker. The reason he's unhappy and whining in Denver now is because he isn't the #1 receiver on his team anymore. Walker is good, but not as good as he thinks he is, and his me first attitude turns me off, as I'm sure it will turn off our front office.
If he ever learns to stop trying to spell team with an "I", he would become way more valuable. Don't put any money on that happening though.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #24
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Forget about Walker and Berrian, no need to spend FA dollars on those guys when we have a pretty good stable of WR's. What we need is a healthy QB and WR1, not to mention a healthy RB1.

Moreover, I do not see us drafting a WR on the first day either, especially with no 2nd round pick left.
Old 01-27-2008   #25
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Depending on what we do with FA, if we need another WR we could draft Lavell Hawkins out of Cal in the 4th. LH is going to be a good one.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #26
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Kevin Walter and Andre Davis both showed me enough last year when Andre was injured. They both played liked #2 receivers. We have our receivers for now, we need to focus our money and resources on our clear cut needs like OLB, OL, depth in the DL, Secondary, RB.
I liked what I aw as well.

Time for some legit running muscle. IMO
Old 01-27-2008   #27
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Never be satisfied with the players that you have if you are looking to improve. The only exception to this rule would be Andre Johnson.
I can definately see where your coming from in your post, and absolutely agree with this staement here.

But, our needs at a true legitimate ball carrying threat are much greater than another reciever. IMO
Old 01-27-2008   #28
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 238286 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
With all the "immediate help required" positions we have on this team, the LAST position we need to be thinking of spending precious cap $$$ on is WR. IMO, we HAVE TWO good # 2's in KW and AD. JJ might make it 3 good # 2's by TC. Who knows...maybe even Mathis can stay healthy for an entire year... We are as set as 90% of the teams in the NFL at WR. We NEED a good FS and CB more than anything. Salaams replacement needs some serious contemplation also, not to mention Green and (hopefully) Weaver and/or Kalu, TJ.
That pretty much sums it up right there. In my mind the O-line, defensive backfield, and RB are "immediate help required" positions; we need to improve personnel there before we look at any other positions.

I might add TE to the positions that may need an upgrade... either that or get Owen Daniels some stickum ;o) Seriously though, Bruener is probably nearing the end of the trail and Jeb Putzier is only "okay". We may need to look at grabbing someone off the wire.

...I wonder if we can clone Dallas Clark or Jason Whitten...?

Last edited by ObsiWan; 01-27-2008 at 10:54 AM.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #29
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Levell Hawkins the wr from Cal is going to be gone by the 3rd round he looked really good in the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-27-2008   #30
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Levell Hawkins the wr from Cal is going to be gone by the 3rd round he looked really good in the Senior Bowl.
What's wrong with the receiver that we took in the 3rd round last year? He isn't even in the top 3 of our receivers right now. We need to give Jacoby another year before we think about drafting another 3rd round receiver. Jacoby should have more of a 30-40 catch season this year if he can stay healthy. He only had 15 catches last year.

Last year, Walker only had 17 catches for 160 yards, no touchdowns. This year he had 65 catches for 800 yards and 4 touchdowns. Hopefully we can have a similiar transition for Jacoby in his second year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #31
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
Well, I can hope right? I don't think he will last, but if he is there in rd 4 I think you have to take a look. I watched Cal a bunch this year and I would rather have Hawkins over Jackson. Both are talented but it seemed whenever Cal needed a play hawkins came through. Maybe if we trade down in the first we can add another pick in the 3rd.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #32
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
What's wrong with the receiver that we took in the 3rd round last year? He isn't even in the top 3 of our receivers right now. We need to give Jacoby another year before we think about drafting another 3rd round receiver. Jacoby should have more of a 30-40 catch season this year if he can stay healthy. He only had 15 catches last year.

Last year, Walker only had 17 catches for 160 yards, no touchdowns. This year he had 65 catches for 800 yards and 4 touchdowns. Hopefully we can have a similiar transition for Jacoby in his second year.
Nothing is wrong with Jacoby Jones I was just commenting on good he was and how long he will last!!!!
Old 01-27-2008   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Justin Smith & Eugene Wilson are 2 players we should have on our radar.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008   #34
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It would seem that Justin Smith would want out of a criminal laden team and onto a "clean" team that would offer him a place opposite "distractor" bookend Super Mario.......
Yeah, I would think that after the season Mario had that players like Smith would want to play opposite him. Couple that with the fact that we have Amobi inside, and the hiring of Rhodes and all of a sudden we have an attractive destination for defensive free agents.
Old 01-28-2008   #35
PHAROAH
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance_C View Post
Yeah, I would think that after the season Mario had that players like Smith would want to play opposite him. Couple that with the fact that we have Amobi inside, and the hiring of Rhodes and all of a sudden we have an attractive destination for defensive free agents.
I agree with you here and better play calling on the defense will go a long way. I think we need to move more to a tampa 2 style defense.
Old 01-28-2008   #36
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Does anyone know if Kawika Mitchell has been resigned by the Giants? I think he'd be a solid SAM in our system and a great complement to DeMeco and Greenwood.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read