Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-26-2008   #1
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Javon Walker & Bernard Berian

Ok guys lets shift gears hear and look at the offense and free agency needs for a second and I want to see what you guys think. I think that adding a good veteran wr Like Javon Walker or Bernard Berian under 30 years old that can take pressure off of Andre Johnson until Jacoby Jones is ready to be a full time WR. I know that our WR's performed well while Andre was gone but we need a clear cut #2 wr that can take pressure off Andre and open it up for Owen Daniels as well and I think these guys will come cheap enough. Hear is what I think that we should do in Free Agency.

1. CB - Nnamdi Asomugha or Marcus Trufant
2. WR- Bernard Berian or Javon Walker. I think that we can get one of these guys at a mid price.
3. DE - Justin Smith - This guy has a high motor and will take pressure off Mario and won't come at an Elite price, then we can move over priced Anthony Weaver inside at DT where belong as an inside pass rusher on 3rd downs with Okoye.

4.FS- Eugene Wilson and SS-Mike Doss to fill out the back end off the defense.
Old 01-26-2008   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Javon Walker & Bernard Berian

Kevin Walter and Andre Davis both showed me enough last year when Andre was injured. They both played liked #2 receivers. We have our receivers for now, we need to focus our money and resources on our clear cut needs like OLB, OL, depth in the DL, Secondary, RB.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #3
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
Kevin Walter and Andre Davis both showed me enough last year when Andre was injured. They both played liked #2 receivers. We have our receivers for now, we need to focus our money and resources on our clear cut needs like OLB, OL, depth in the DL, Secondary, RB.
Enough said here.
Old 01-26-2008   #4
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
but we need a clear cut #2 wr that can take pressure off Andre and open it up for Owen Daniels as well

seriously though i think we're set at wr if we resign AD.. AJ had the highest projected rec yds if he hadnt got injured so he was obviously getting open as well as the other guys.. save the $ for places where we really need it
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #5
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I have to disagree here. Walter and Davis are both solid #3's. Walter is your possession receiver and Davis is your speed guy, but that is about all they offer.

Walter runs good routes and has above average hands but will not kill the secondary with speed.

Davis has great speed but average hands and average route running. He is not a guy that will take that middle of the field hit. Think Corey Bradford with better hands and is able to due punt returns.

Not to sure on Berrian. When I have seen him play he is a younger Andre Davis so he would not be an upgrade at that position.

Walker is definitely an upgrade. I would sign him in a heart beat. Walker and Johnson on the same team would equal double digit TD's for the both of them.

Never be satisfied with the players that you have if you are looking to improve. The only exception to this rule would be Andre Johnson.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #6
Old School
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 875 Old School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respectedOld School is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Old School Send a message via Skype™ to Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I have to disagree here. Walter and Davis are both solid #3's. Walter is your possession receiver and Davis is your speed guy, but that is about all they offer.

Walter runs good routes and has above average hands but will not kill the secondary with speed.

Davis has great speed but average hands and average route running. He is not a guy that will take that middle of the field hit. Think Corey Bradford with better hands and is able to due punt returns.

Not to sure on Berrian. When I have seen him play he is a younger Andre Davis so he would not be an upgrade at that position.

Walker is definitely an upgrade. I would sign him in a heart beat. Walker and Johnson on the same team would equal double digit TD's for the both of them.

Never be satisfied with the players that you have if you are looking to improve. The only exception to this rule would be Andre Johnson.
On a normal team you are correct. Unfortunately we are not a normal team. Between IR casualties and Cass-tastrophy we cannot afford to think like a regular team would. The question we have to ask is whether or not our #2 WR is a more pressing need that say a reserve DB, or a good OL-man. You say that our WR are #3's and I don't disagree but we have people at other positions that wouldn't even make the depth chart on some teams. Those are the positions we need to address first. In about 2-3 more years (without major IR issues) then we can look around and say " You know, we have a decent player at position X but this guy over here is better, lets go after him."
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #7
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post

I agree here and that's why I started this subject because I knew that a lot of people on in the message board is satisfied with mediocrity and not improving. Kevin Walter was the 5th wr in cincinnati and Andre Davis is a number 3 at best even though they stepped up bigtime, Javon Walker would give us two #1 caliber WR's like cincy, indy & new england have.
Old 01-26-2008   #8
PHAROAH
All Pro

Since we have such a great wr corps in last years draft why were there so many board members who wanted WR Ted Ginn Jr? I think if we had another wr that commands attention no one can double Andre look at Indianapolis, Cincy & NE if you double randy moss Wes Welker & the rest of the targets will kill you!!! The same goes for the Cowboys, Giants and I can go on and on and just think if we had Andre Johnson, Javon Walker, Jacoby Jones & Andre Davis coming at you with Owen Daniels down the middle oh god help them.
Old 01-26-2008   #9
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kevin Walter was the 5th wr in cincinnati and Andre Davis is a number 3 at best even though they stepped up bigtime, Javon Walker would give us two #1 caliber WR's like cincy, indy & new england have.
It doesn't matter if Kevin Walter was a 5th WR in cincinnatti. He led our team with 65 catches and had 800 yards and 4 Tds last year. He is a key part of our offense. Davis was a playmaker, 17.7 yards per reception, 3 TD catches. We are set at WR. Let Jones develop with PT.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #10
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

The more I hear about Justin Smith the more I can imagine him being this year's KVB free agent steal.
Old 01-26-2008   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
The more I hear about Justin Smith the more I can imagine him being this year's KVB free agent steal.
Justin would be a great fit opposite Mario. he has a good motor and good technique. Some of that could even rub off on Mario thus improving 2 positions instead of one. he isn't going to be cheap though.

I would rather have Smith than Trufant though.

as for Berrian, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Overrated and from Fresno State. Nuff Said. As for Walker, he is too much of a crybaby....plus as long as we resign Andre Davis, we are set at WR. We need (in order) CB, C, FS, OT, OLB.
Old 01-26-2008   #12
Goldensilence
hipster elite

Rep Power: 13669 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we're okay at WR for now. Jones will continue to develop and showed a lot of promise IMO. I like Walter's hands; him and Davis showed up big time when AJ went down. I like both Walker and Berrian just I think our money in the off-season would be better spent else where.

Smith would be great as well or somehow managing to sign away Trufant or Suggs. I think our money would be better spent on the defense instead ofa area we are at less need at.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Justin would be a great fit opposite Mario. he has a good motor and good technique. Some of that could even rub off on Mario thus improving 2 positions instead of one. he isn't going to be cheap though.

I would rather have Smith than Trufant though.

as for Berrian, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Overrated and from Fresno State. Nuff Said. As for Walker, he is too much of a crybaby....plus as long as we resign Andre Davis, we are set at WR. We need (in order) CB, C, FS, OT, OLB.

He was a product of THE SYSTEM................and he was whose Carrget??????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #14
PHAROAH
All Pro

Do you guys think they will give Suggs the amount of money that he would require? Suggs woud be looking in the $35-40 million range right and that might be too rich for mcnair I think we can get Justin Smith for a better price and still go after Trufant or Drayton Florence and maybe sign a Mike Doss or Eugene Wilson.
Old 01-26-2008   #15
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

If there is only one postion we are set at . . it's wide receiver.

And I vote for Kevin Walter as the most fan-underappreciated player on the team.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #16
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3658 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Do you guys think they will give Suggs the amount of money that he would require? Suggs woud be looking in the $35-40 million range right and that might be too rich for mcnair I think we can get Justin Smith for a better price and still go after Trufant or Drayton Florence and maybe sign a Mike Doss or Eugene Wilson.
I would rather have Justin Smith over Suggs anyways. Suggs always seemed to be more of a pass rushing LB than a true 4-3 DE to me. Trufant is pretty much not coming here unless the Seahawks don't want him...which I doubt. He is a local guy there and having Rhodes as a DB coach doesnt hurt, i still think its a wicked long shot. Mike Doss has had trouble with the law so that probably takes him off our board as well.

If we can just get Justin Smith and some depth/prospects we will have had a good offseason in Free Agency. Smith, Trufant, and Suggs are going to be some of the most coveted players in the game this offseason. To get just one of these guys to come here would be a coup for the Texans...especially if they dont have to overpay big.
Old 01-26-2008   #17
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

And I vote for Kevin Walter as the most fan-underappreciated player on the team.
as long as we re-sign Andre Davis that is. Walter is a damn good WR but he doesnt stretch the field and you gotta have a guy that can do thatn opposite of AJ. If we don't re-sign Davis then we lost that ability and then WR becomes a problem area again. If we re-sign Andre Davis, we are sitting pretty at WR in 2008, that is for sure. I just think his ability on Special Teams are going to make retaining him a costly proposition....but one we gotta get done.
Old 01-26-2008   #18
Leahmic223
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 Leahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of FamerLeahmic223 is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I agree...we are set at WR and Jacoby IMO I think by year 3 or 4 he will be a solid #2 guy. He has the speed and hands, he has the potential to be Housmanzilly to our Andre Johnson. I really feel he can be a great #2 WR if we give him time.

Also when Andre went down our passing game didn't slow down. Schaub kept slugging along spreading the ball out...our Passing attack was our STRENTGH all year. The only problem is some games we became one dimensional and all we could do is pass. WR IMO is not a need at all.

We have PRESSING needs in the secondary and on the Line, that needs to be addressed first and foremost IMO and then a RB because RBBC hasn't really worked out too well for us the past 2 years. Its been...alright...but never good. Then he need some OLBs that can cover naw WR IMO is way down the list.
Leahmic223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

It would seem that Justin Smith would want out of a criminal laden team and onto a "clean" team that would offer him a place opposite "distractor" bookend Super Mario.......
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 55166 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

With all the "immediate help required" positions we have on this team, the LAST position we need to be thinking of spending precious cap $$$ on is WR. IMO, we HAVE TWO good # 2's in KW and AD. JJ might make it 3 good # 2's by TC. Who knows...maybe even Mathis can stay healthy for an entire year... We are as set as 90% of the teams in the NFL at WR. We NEED a good FS and CB more than anything. Salaams replacement needs some serious contemplation also, not to mention Green and (hopefully) Weaver and/or Kalu, TJ.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read