Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-25-2008   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Super Bowl commercial has 60 seconds of silence

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22824530?gt1=10755

Quote:
NEW YORK - Amid the wall-to-wall sound during next Sunday's Super Bowl, one commercial from PepsiCo could send some viewers grabbing for their remotes to check whether they'd accidentally hit the mute button.

The pre-game advertisement features a joke that originates from the deaf community and will play out on screen over 60 seconds of total silence, a veritable eternity when it comes to the noisiness of Super Bowl ads.

"It's a popular story and we just turned it into an advertisement," said Clay Broussard, a supply and logistics manager at PepsiCo who proposed the idea for the ad. "This is the PepsiCo flavor of that joke."

The joke goes like this: Two guys are driving to their friend Bob's house to watch the Super Bowl. Once they get to Bob's street, neither knows which house is his. They sit in the car, arguing, until one of them has an idea. He starts laying on the horn, and one by one, the houses light up and dogs start barking.

One house stays dark and quiet: It's Bob's.

Deaf people will be falling out of their chairs in disbelief, National Association of the Deaf president Bobbie Beth Scoggins wrote in an e-mail response to questions. Hearing people, Scoggins wrote, will stop what they're doing to see why there are no sounds. She believes it's an historic first for an ad featuring American Sign Language to get such prominent play.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #2
BigWig
Bigimus Wigimus

Rep Power: 1266 BigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respectedBigWig is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Super Bowl commercial has 60 seconds of silence

Im surprised Nitro hasnt gotten involved in thisi thread!
BigWig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #3
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Hey, did any one catch this? I don't recall it.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #4
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1298 281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected281 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
me neither?..

-Ben Franklin
281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #5
ChrisG
Road Fan

Rep Power: 6268 ChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respectedChrisG is a quality contributor and well respected

didnt see it...maybe it was when i went to get food. This is the 1st i'm hearing about it (pun intended). if it was aired i'm surprised it hasn't been talked about more in the media
Old 02-07-2008   #6
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I didn't see it either but my dad did. It was before the game started

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #7
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 29181 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

pretty much the best commercial
gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2008   #8
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzO View Post
I jumped on yahoo a couple of days before the SB and it was there so I snuck a peek. I told my wife to watch for it (or listen for the silence) because it was a good commercial. We were cooking and watching the SB start to finish and never saw it aired either.
Old 02-08-2008   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWig View Post
Im surprised Nitro hasnt gotten involved in thisi thread!
So since I'm Deaf, you're going to assume that I'd be elated about this commercial?

I actually did not want to comment on it but since you called me out on it, I will.

I hated the commercial. As many of you guys know, I'm very involved and can function in both the hearing world and the Deaf world. I hate what this commercial represents because Deaf people truly do have a tendency to be excessively noisy as well as waste a lot of time. Their reasons are absolutely valid but the problem that I have with it is that it has now become a 'right' for the Deaf people to be noisy. It is absolutely a part of Deaf culture to do things like that but I don't believe that it gives us the right to be downright disrespectful and use our Deafness as an excuse. This commercial displays that about the Deaf people and I think it's a poor representation of how Deaf people are. I strongly believe that people need to give us a little leeway and don't get upset about our manners or our tendency to make tons of noise. I think that Deaf people need to at least try to be more respectful than they actually are.

I hate it. My mother was a waitress for 25 years and Deaf people are ALWAYS the last to leave the restaurant. It's definitely a cultural thing. Deaf people love to socialize and we get absorbed in our own world that many of them forget about the people that are waiting on us. Deaf people wait so long to the point to where the restaurant is forced to kick us out. I hate that. I strongly believe that Deaf people have used their cultural excuse too many times and it's now downright disrespectful.

Another example would be at Third Base. Most Deaf people would demand that all the TVs have the closed captioning turned on. I don't agree with that. I'm aware that some people don't like it and always try to work with the people that I'm around. You can ask anyone who goes to Third Base.

Culture isn't an excuse for us to disregard common courtesy.

I hated this commercial because it is ABSOLUTELY true about Deaf people honking their horns in neighborhoods. They absolutely do this!

Don't get me wrong! I'm proud to be Deaf and am proud of my Deaf culture. I wouldn't want to be hearing if the chance was given to me. I love being Deaf. I do not feel that it's a disability for me at all.

Deaf people can do anything but hear.
Old 02-08-2008   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 119538 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Very interesting to learn your thoughts on the subject, Nitro. I'll admit I was hoping to see what you had to say. Great post. To read your opinion on this is a good learning experience since I, for one, don't often get to hear it from a point of view such as yours. Props.
Old 02-08-2008   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post, Nitro. I'd rep you if the system would let me right now.
Old 02-08-2008   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah and i hate Bud Lite commercials that display young white guys as being loud and drunk and doing stupid things.

yawn, it's a commercial, get over it.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #13
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82108 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

BTW, here's the ad in question. Kind of ghey if you ask me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sz57McRaCNU
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008   #14
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
yeah and i hate Bud Lite commercials that display young white guys as being loud and drunk and doing stupid things.

yawn, it's a commercial, get over it.
The commercial was just a starting gun and the discussion went from there. Can't see that? This dumb act of yours is very realistic sometimes.
Old 02-08-2008   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does that demographic represent you?

Nitro was speaking from a perspective that this commerical represents.
Old 02-08-2008   #16
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

that's pretty much my point. a commercial featuring 2 deaf guys doesn't represent the entire deaf community. 3 black guys shouting wazzup doesn't represent the entire black community. young white guys getting hammered and doing stupid things doesn't represent the entire young white guy community. you'd have to have a pretty big ego to be offended by this kinda stuff to think that this is supposed to represent you.
Old 02-08-2008   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
that's pretty much my point. a commercial featuring 2 deaf guys doesn't represent the entire deaf community. 3 black guys shouting wazzup doesn't represent the entire black community. young white guys getting hammered and doing stupid things doesn't represent the entire young white guy community. you'd have to have a pretty big ego to be offended by this kinda stuff to think that this is supposed to represent you.
What is the matter with you? I didn't start this thread. Someone called me out on it and I stated how I felt about it. Good grief!

The Deaf community is very very small. There are only 650,000 Deaf people who were born Deaf. This commercial loosely represents that group. I am part of that group. The community is so small that I actually know one of the men in the advertisement. So yeah... that represents me.

I'm not offended by the commerical. I simply don't like it. I think it's a poor representation of the manners that Deaf people have. I know all about the joke that was being portrayed.

For what it's worth, I talk to tons of Deaf people everyday. E-V-E-R-Y D-A-Y. I have not yet have one agree with me on the commercial. They all loved it. I know why too! It gives them validity to continue to do this. In fact, I think it's about to become worse. One of my friends who has a PHD told me something that just floored me. I was stunned. Disgusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Deaf friend of mine who has a PHD
PAH (pah means finally)for commercial! Now hearing people understand how Deaf culture is supposed to be. Now they will realize that it is not our fault and that we have the right to be the way we are.
Deaf people are increasingly becoming more and more rude. This commercial validates that. I do not blame Pepsi for this. I blame the Deaf community for trying to isolate themselves and think that what happens outside of them don't matter.

Again, I'm alone in think this way right now. My voice does not represent the Deaf community. My voice represents mine and mine alone. I wasn't offended by the commercial but I certainly was offended by your post here. I'm the one with the ego? Riiiight.
Old 02-08-2008   #18
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Here is the commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz57McRaCNU
Old 02-08-2008   #19
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
What is the matter with you? I didn't start this thread. Someone called me out on it and I stated how I felt about it. Good grief!
what's this have to do with anything? because you were asked about something that means i can't call you out what i feel to be a ridiculous stance? did i insinuate that you started the thread? for that matter, i didn't start this thread, i was just giving MY opinion, so i see no reason for you to good grief me.
Quote:
The Deaf community is very very small. There are only 650,000 Deaf people who were born Deaf. This commercial loosely represents that group. I am part of that group. The community is so small that I actually know one of the men in the advertisement. So yeah... that represents me.

I'm not offended by the commerical. I simply don't like it. I think it's a poor representation of the manners that Deaf people have. I know all about the joke that was being portrayed.

For what it's worth, I talk to tons of Deaf people everyday. E-V-E-R-Y D-A-Y. I have not yet have one agree with me on the commercial. They all loved it. I know why too! It gives them validity to continue to do this. In fact, I think it's about to become worse. One of my friends who has a PHD told me something that just floored me. I was stunned. Disgusted.

Deaf people are increasingly becoming more and more rude. This commercial validates that. I do not blame Pepsi for this. I blame the Deaf community for trying to isolate themselves and think that what happens outside of them don't matter.

Again, I'm alone in think this way right now. My voice does not represent the Deaf community. My voice represents mine and mine alone. I wasn't offended by the commercial but I certainly was offended by your post here. I'm the one with the ego? Riiiight.
just validated my opinion with this.
Old 02-09-2008   #20
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
what's this have to do with anything? because you were asked about something that means i can't call you out what i feel to be a ridiculous stance? did i insinuate that you started the thread? for that matter, i didn't start this thread, i was just giving MY opinion, so i see no reason for you to good grief me.

just validated my opinion with this.
Good grief!

Validated your opinion with what? You're beginning to mutter nonsense now. What opinion are you talking about here? I don't know. I have a ridiculous stance?

LMAO.

Last edited by NitroGSXR; 02-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read