Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2008   #1
MarioWrecksIt

Default Mario Snubbed Again

Jason Taylor isn't going to play in the Pro Bowl after tearing his left plantar fascia (sounds familiar) so that would seem to open the door to Hawaii for Mario but instead Bills DE Aaron Schobel who totaled a staggering 6 sacks this year is going instead of Mario. Schobel had 95 tackles which is impressive but come on give the man his due!!!
Old 01-24-2008   #2
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mario Snubbed Again

That was to be expected since Schobel was the first alternate and Mario the second.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #3
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I just saw that on CNN in the lunch room. What a ripoff!!!
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #4
MarioWrecksIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL BLUE TEXANS View Post
That was to be expected since Schobel was the first alternate and Mario the second.
Ya i know its just frustrating but hopefully another spot opens up
Old 01-24-2008   #5
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

This reminds me of a cheer we used to break out for home games when I was an undergrad.....

NUTS AND BOLTS!

NUTS AND BOLTS!

WE

GOT

SCREWED!
Old 01-24-2008   #6
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104914 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Guys I said it at midseason.

The media is not going to allow fans to vote Mario into the Pro Bowl. It will not happen.

The only way he can get in is on player & coach votes and let's face it, he is only in his second year & just doesn't have the big name credibility yet (which is the only thing players vote on anyway).
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #7
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Yeah Mario should have been first alternate but it gives Mario something to shoot for next year. If Mario continues to evolve, he could usurp that Pro Bowl spot from Taylor forever.
Old 01-24-2008   #8
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Yeah Mario should have been first alternate but it gives Mario something to shoot for next year. If Mario continues to evolve, he could usurp that Pro Bowl spot from Taylor forever.
True enough.

He seemed like he played with greater intensity when he was pizzed off. Well, hopefully taking the shaft on this whole deal with make him angry for next season in its entirety.
Old 01-24-2008   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Personally I'd rather him not play in the pro bowl. If he's voted in from the beginning, awesome.... But he's an alternate? let it be and it'll push him for that much more for next year. I want our players to earn Pro Bowls from the get go and not just because those players ahead decided not to play.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Personally I'd rather him not play in the pro bowl. If he's voted in from the beginning, awesome.... But he's an alternate? let it be and it'll push him for that much more for next year. I want our players to earn Pro Bowls from the get go and not just because those players ahead decided not to play.
I think you make a pretty good point.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #11
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

The Pro Bowl doesn't mean jack anymore. I'd rather good players not go. Considering Mario is young and this is his first good year, a snub is expected. It will change with year to year consistency.
Old 01-24-2008   #12
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

I blame espin and all the talking douche bags there.

Except Michael Smith.
Old 01-24-2008   #13
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 107813 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree that Mario should have been on the team from day one - he earned it, and I've loved watching him do it.

However, not to parse words, but this isn't another snub, it's the same snub just continuing. He was the 2nd alternate from the time the team was announced, so it was a foregone conclusion that two DE's would need to be added in order for Mario to be going to Hawaii.
ChampionTexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #14
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 265163 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
If it were a matter of actually earning it, he's done that. Pro Bowl voting is a popularity contest among fans, and that means the guys who actually earn it aren't always going to go. I agree with your sentiment, but it's off base here, IMO, because a fan's vote doesn't mean something was earned or wasn't. The coaches could have put him in, but with limited spots, they have to make tougher choices. If coaches and players were the people who decided every spot, I'm comfortable thinking that Mario would have probably been the 3rd DE in the AFC.
Old 01-24-2008   #15
Ckw

I just have to ask, how does he get voted D Lineman of the year by the Alumni Association, 2nd team All-Pro, yet can't make the Pro Bowl? Ridiculous. Use it as motivation Mario!
Old 01-24-2008   #16
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

That's pathetic. More fuel for the fire for Mario I guess.
Old 01-24-2008   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

All the QB's on the Texan's schedule next year are saying, "Please, gawd, just let him in..."
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #18
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
If it were a matter of actually earning it, he's done that. Pro Bowl voting is a popularity contest among fans, and that means the guys who actually earn it aren't always going to go. I agree with your sentiment, but it's off base here, IMO, because a fan's vote doesn't mean something was earned or wasn't. The coaches could have put him in, but with limited spots, they have to make tougher choices. If coaches and players were the people who decided every spot, I'm comfortable thinking that Mario would have probably been the 3rd DE in the AFC.
True. He def. earned it. I'll rephrase by saying that if any Texans are going to play in the pro bowl, I'd rather it be because they were originally voted it (be that fans, players, coaches). Not some technicality 2nd alternate...someone ahead was injured...another didn't want to play..etc. Not that there's anything wrong with being 2nd alternate at all, thats a compliment within itself!
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #19
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

That's humbug man Mario Should have been in hands down.
Old 01-24-2008   #20
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 152103 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Uhh, One still comes before two right? So how is a second alternate being snubbed when the first alternate goes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read