Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 01-24-2008   #1
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Any intrest in Marcus Spears or Bobby Carpenter?

Quote:
The Dallas Morning News is reporting that the Cowboys are shopping former 1st round picks DE Marcus Spears and LB Bobby Carpenter at the Senior Bowl. Spears was one of two Dallas 1st rounders in 2005, while Carpenter was the team’s top pick the following year.
http://www.gbnreport.com/
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #2
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Any intrest in Marcus Spears or Bobby Carpenter?

Yeah, Carpenter was a bad pick. Spears aint a bad player though. As long as they arent asking alot, I wouldn't mind nabbing Spears for a 5th Rounder or maybe a 4th in 09.
Old 01-24-2008   #3
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take Spears for a 5th.
TexansSeminole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #4
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Spears wouldn't make sense seeing that the Texans have 1 too many LDEs already.

Carpenter would be a SOLB in a 4-3. Maybe he would be better against the run than what the Texans have currently. But, he hasn't shown much as a pass rusher or blitzer. For the Texans, Carpenter doesn't really carry much more than 4th round value. And they could probably find a SOLB in free agency just as good or better, without giving up any draft picks. Not a good fit here.
Old 01-24-2008   #5
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Isn't Greg Ellis leaving?
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #6
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
Isn't Greg Ellis leaving?
Nope, he signed either an extension or a new deal during the season.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Spears wouldn't make sense seeing that the Texans have 1 too many LDEs already.

Carpenter would be a SOLB in a 4-3. Maybe he would be better against the run than what the Texans have currently. But, he hasn't shown much as a pass rusher or blitzer. For the Texans, Carpenter doesn't really carry much more than 4th round value. And they could probably find a SOLB in free agency just as good or better, without giving up any draft picks. Not a good fit here.
Spears would play inside for the Texans as there's no way he's a DE in their 4-3 or anybodys 4-3 for that matter. But no, at any position the Texans really don't need his services.
And the Cowboys decision to draft Carpenter goes to show that even the
great ( allegedly) talent-evaluator Bill Parcells get his sentiments about former friends/players in the way of his judgement of football talent.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2008   #8
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Carpenter is a good special teams player and that's been about it.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #9
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

Carpenter hasn't had time to hit the field. too many good players at linebacker already. the talent is there. if he goes cheap i hope Miami grabs him.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #10
austintexanite
All Pro

Carpenter intrigues me as an OLB but I'm not exactly sure I would trade for him. I would have to interview the guy and watch plenty of tape to see if he is worth it. As for Spears, I can't say anything, which I guess is a bad sign.
Old 01-25-2008   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kastofsna View Post
Carpenter hasn't had time to hit the field. too many good players at linebacker already. the talent is there. if he goes cheap i hope Miami grabs him.
considering how highly Parcells thought of him to draft him so early, there is a good shot Carpenter could go to Miami.
Old 01-25-2008   #12
kastofsna
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 406 kastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respectedkastofsna is a quality contributor and well respected

sounds good to me. get Spears, too.
kastofsna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
I'd take Spears for a 5th.
Depends on What the polks are looking for. Spears seems to fit our need for the other DE. What you do with Weaver is anyones guess.

Loading up the pistol for a move up...I'm telling you. I think they are looking for move up ammo.

J.J. has just told the Tuna these two guys are in the pot also...
Old 01-26-2008   #14
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 96562 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Depends on What the polks are looking for. Spears seems to fit our need for the other DE. What you do with Weaver is anyones guess.

Loading up the pistol for a move up...I'm telling you. I think they are looking for move up ammo.

J.J. has just told the Tuna these two guys are in the pot also...
Spears is a 3-4 DE, which would make him a 4-3 DT........he certainly isn't anyones answer at DE.

Alot of Cowboy fans have criticized Spears for being a lazy player.........maybe he's just not cut out for the 3-4 defense.......he certainly was a beast for LSU and was taken off the board after T.J., if he's cheap, maybe he can be a solid run stuffer and another inside guy to throw next to Amobi (because right now, I'm not too happy with Travis Johnson)

Maybe the Cowboys wouldn't mind swapping Travis Johnson for Marcus Spears straight up.

Last edited by Carr Bombed; 01-26-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

So, just how much 3-4 does the Bayou Bengals run there old hoss ? I'm sure the cow polks had him put on the weight. What I remeber when he came out was that he had fair first step. And their were more than just few on these boards advocating him as our pick that year.
Old 01-26-2008   #16
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 171483 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
So, just how much 3-4 does the Bayou Bengals run there old hoss ? I'm sure the cow polks had him put on the weight. What I remeber when he came out was that he had fair first step. And their were more than just few on these boards advocating him as our pick that year.
I agree with Pete , Spears was mentioned with the 11th pick I think . The one we traded to the Saints .
Old 01-26-2008   #17
Brando
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 1665 Brando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respectedBrando is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I agree with Pete , Spears was mentioned with the 11th pick I think . The one we traded to the Saints .

I think it was the 13th pick that we ended up trading down to 16th.

Extra Special Thanks to False Start for the signature!
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #18
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92860 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Carpenter would be great to pair with DeMecco. He's just not made for the 3-4.

Kind of like John Vilma. Vilma is a monster, but not for the 3-4.

Man, Vilma at WLB would be sweet.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Carpenter would be great to pair with DeMecco. He's just not made for the 3-4.

Kind of like John Vilma. Vilma is a monster, but not for the 3-4.

Man, Vilma at WLB would be sweet.
Good points and definitely worthy of debate.
But in any D system Carpenter was probably a real reach as a first rounder.
Vilma on the other hand was a DROY when he played MIKE in the Jets then
4-3 before they converted to their present 3-4.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read