Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 01-24-2008   #1
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default WalterFootball.com Mock Draft

Updated Mock Draft. some complain about the constant change & timing. I think it illustrates the fluidity of the process & why its so damn interesting

Good picks for the Texans, we should all be able to live with
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

round 1: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois

Darius Walker has been solid coming out of the backfield, and Ahman Green and Ron Dayne are both on the roster, but are any of them really the guy whom Houston can ride into the playoffs? The Texans need to address the running back situation, especially considering the plethora of talent at the position in this class.

Don't count out a corner like Antoine Cason or Aqib Talib here; the Texans have done everything in their power to take down the Colts ever since they came into the NFL, and a top-notch corner would certainly help. However, the need for a premier running back is too paramount to ignore.

a franchise RB. wonder how many Mendenhall jerseys would be sold?

round 3: Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland

The Texans have spent a lot of time fixing their front four the past few years, but now it's time to take care of the back seven. Morlon Greenwood's not exactly the best weakside linebacker in the league, and Houston could use a dynamic player like Erin Henderson on its defense.

would be a steal @ need position

round 4: Charles Godfrey, CB, Iowa

Everything the Texans have done over the past few offseasons has been to beat the Colts. Yet, Indianapolis clobbered them recently, establishing a 38-7 lead before taking its starters out. Houston desperately needs to address its secondary.

Check him out in the Senior Bowl, impressive 4th rd. pick @ need position.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #2
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WalterFootball.com Mock Draft

I like this guys website, I think he does an excellent job. I would be quite happy with this draft.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #3
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Not only do I like his work for the Texans but he is one of the only guys i've seen that is saying what I've said all along for the Cowboys...WR and CB in the 1st...not RB...and then RB in the 2nd. I like his explanations on #1 and along the board. It shows he went through the process and didn't just look at the roster and throw a WR the Texans way.
Old 01-24-2008   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow, I'd be very very pleased with that draft.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #5
Polo

I wouldn't be upset with it, but I'd prefer Dan Connor in the first to really beef up the defense and put a stamp on the front seven....He'd give us a lot of versatility both in run support and in the passing game....I'd go RB in the third..plenty good backs should be there...Corner in the fourth, another DB of any kind in the fifth...

I think we have O-linemen. Whether we have to move Pitts to tackle, or whatever, I think we have a lot of young guys that we have brought in that deserve the chance. We have a few guys who can play LT for us next year...Pitts, Salaam, Frye, Butler, Don't count out Spencer...I dunno, but I just think that with the addition of Gibbs it's more likely RB's and OL will be coached up rather than paid big bucks for...

Of course free agency changes things.
Old 01-24-2008   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Wonder how mocks change if Patriots make nice with Samuel and re-sign the disgruntled corner? Other upset free agents have gone back to the original team despite ugly words. Who would N.E. be interested in then for first round?

That alone could re-shuffle the board below them.
Old 01-24-2008   #7
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

This cracked me up.

74. Carolina Panthers: John David Booty, QB, USC
Jake Delhomme's always hurt, David Carr is the worst signal caller the NFL has ever seen, and Vinny Testaverde is wearing adult diapers. Matt Moore has looked solid, but I'm not sure if he's the long-term answer. The Panthers could be hunting for a new quarterback in the first three rounds of this draft.

I like the first pick but dont know enough about the LB to comment. And I thought Godfrey was a cover 2 guy.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 01-24-2008   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
round 3: Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland

The Texans have spent a lot of time fixing their front four the past few years, but now it's time to take care of the back seven. Morlon Greenwood's not exactly the best weakside linebacker in the league, and Houston could use a dynamic player like Erin Henderson on its defense.

would be a steal @ need position
Interesting thing is if you select Matt McGuire's mock at the top of that page he's got Henderson going in the 1st round...quite a difference in the two takes.

Quote:
27. New York Giants: Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland
The Giants like physical, rangy linebackers. Erin Henderson seems like the kind of player they would go for if he performs well at the Combine, showing good lateral movement, speed and strength.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #9
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Hello, LT where are you????

Not picking a LT in the 1st, 3rd or even 4th? pass.

Last edited by J-Russ; 01-24-2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: mispell
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #10
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

But we can always get a LT next year. Geez it almost sounds like a Cubs fan. We will win next year, Then by July they are out of it and wondering what all went wrong.
Old 01-24-2008   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 49476 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Russ View Post

if the Texans draft LT with a high pick they're gonna attempt to execute a trade down to maximize value. this Mock is without trades, which will change team selections, but not bpa which should remain constant among positions. don't forget about free agency too....hiring Gibbs really affects evaulating zbs prospects adding an elite downhill RB & shoring up defensive weakness seems pretty practical to me
Old 01-24-2008   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

What I thought was interesting was that under one of the Falcons 2nd round picks he wrote:
Quote:
And as I wrote on my first-round page, if either Andre' Woodson or Brian Brohm slips past 20, Atlanta may use both of its second-round selections to trade up.
Think they could ask to trade up to our 18 spot? It was our second round pick to begin with. Why not negotiate to send it back and get a first round pick.

Personally, if I was the Falcons GM, I would keep the picks I have and make solid selections based on the best player. They have picks at #3-5, early second round #37, mid second round #48, early third round #68.

You could build a great draft class with these picks before the 4th round even starts.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #13
beerlover
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
What I thought was interesting was that under one of the Falcons 2nd round picks he wrote:

Think they could ask to trade up to our 18 spot? It was our second round pick to begin with. Why not negotiate to send it back and get a first round pick.

Personally, if I was the Falcons GM, I would keep the picks I have and make solid selections based on the best player. They have picks at #3-5, early second round #37, mid second round #48, early third round #68.

You could build a great draft class with these picks before the 4th round even starts.
geez, no credit, no rep, what the hell is going on out there

posted this three days ago on best trade down scenero

http://www.texanstalk.com/component/...pper/Itemid,4/

Quote:
I'm thinking unless there is a cb they love or possibly a tackle @ #18 they trade completly out of the first rd. maybe a team with a couple 2nds like Atlanta.

the Texans trade down #18 (900) & #144 (worth 66 4th rd) for two 2nds via Atlanta #37 (540) #48 (430).

Atlanta selects the top QB & then a tackle to protect his blind side, use the extra 4th rd. pick on a RB. Meanwhile the Texans take best cb available & best rb available or maybe if a 1st rd. quality tackle if he slips out of the 1st rd.
or

Quote:
Feel pretty good about the selections for the Falcons, it would be nice to be in a position to draft a top 5 player & then again another middle 1st rd. pick adding what is sure to be starting material & franchise cornerstones. they could take a tackle first like Jake Long or Ryan Clady then make the trade because Woodson or Brohm are still available @ #18. or they take a QB first, Matt Ryan, & they want to get him some protection & really like one of the top tier prospects like Baker, Otah or Chris Williams before there is a run on them (Washington, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Giants, Chargers, Packers, Cowboys all could grab a tackle).
Old 01-24-2008   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Unless you know something I don't better list Denver in the hunt for an OLT. their's just retired...what's his name ? Spend sixty million on the QB and then not take the replacement for the blind side ? I dunno bout that one. Lepsis.... the protege of Gibbs who was a TE at Colorado.
Old 01-24-2008   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
geez, no credit, no rep, what the hell is going on out there

posted this three days ago on best trade down scenero
But, do you think it is worth it for the Falcons? They have 3 picks in the top 50 and 4 in the top 75. Would you give up #37 and #48 to get up to #18?

They'd have to really like a particular player.
Old 01-24-2008   #16
bah007
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68948 bah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respectedbah007 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole View Post
But, do you think it is worth it for the Falcons? They have 3 picks in the top 50 and 4 in the top 75. Would you give up #37 and #48 to get up to #18?

They'd have to really like a particular player.
I think if Brohm dropped to 18 then they would have to at least try it.
bah007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete View Post
Unless you know something I don't better list Denver in the hunt for an OLT. their's just retired...what's his name ? Spend sixty million on the QB and then not take the replacement for the blind side ? I dunno bout that one. Lepsis.... the protege of Gibbs who was a TE at Colorado.
I don't know. Texans selected a QB 1st round and paid a lot of money and did not protect him from left. Then we traded two 2nd rounds for another QB and....maybe just maybe Denver is taking a peek at our play book?

Last edited by badboy; 01-24-2008 at 04:00 PM.
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #18
Polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Then we traded two 2nd rounds for another QB and....
*takes in deep breath to smell the air* aaaahhhhhhhhhh.....the smell of incompetence...
Old 01-24-2008   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
I think if Brohm dropped to 18 then they would have to at least try it.
Depends on how much they like him. I would say yes if it were still Petrino but he is gone. Woodson would be another possibility.
Old 01-24-2008   #20
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont like a RB in the 1st with all the depth at the position. You can get great value in the 3rd-5th range. I would rather have Oline, OLB or CB in the first. Or maybe FS.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read