Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-25-2008   #81
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 135371 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans could hire Rhodes as early as Jan 25 - Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Trufant will be an "old" 27 next season. I'm not against him but keep that in mind.
"Old" at 27............

hahahahahahahaha

Just thought that was funny.
Old 01-25-2008   #82
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
"Old" at 27............

hahahahahahahaha

Trufant grew up in Washington state. I'm thinking that the Seahawks are going to keep him.

He does like Rhodes though and gives him a ton of credit for his development.

In general, I like the idea of Rhodes being on board during the draft and free agent process however.
Old 01-25-2008   #83
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
At first glance, I thought you said "excrement"... I was saying WFT?!?!
:elle: WTF???
Old 01-25-2008   #84
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 13945 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
We're also going to be down 1 dunta next season. He'd be a great fill in.
Dunta said he will be able to play at some time next season. We'll see.
Old 01-25-2008   #85
Dallas_Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 25 Dallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performerDallas_Texan is a Legendary performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Trufant grew up in Washington state. I'm thinking that the Seahawks are going to keep him.

He does like Rhodes though and gives him a ton of credit for his development.

In general, I like the idea of Rhodes being on board during the draft and free agent process however.
Didn't he make a point of saying that he wasn't planning on giving Seattle any form of home field advantage during FA this year? I read that somewhere, but can't remember where. Even if he did though, that could just be a tactic to bump their offer.

Either way, I would love to have him aboard, and after visiting Seattle three times this year, I'm sure he wouldn't mind a change of scenery for a few years! It's more beautiful than any place I've been to in the US (which is everwhere), but only during the 30 days a year that it's not overcast! People argue it rains other places more, but that doesn't mean it's not SOLID overcast in Seattle even when it's not raining!
Dallas_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #86
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3241 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
One more thought...

Does anyone think signing Rhodes would increase our chances of getting Marcus Trufant in free agency if he is allowed to test the market in March. Getting Rhodes AND Trufant would make us MUCH better equipped to compete with the Colts...

You listening Bob?
Why is it people say this? It is not like Bob as you put it is making personel decisions. Shouldn't you be saying Rick as in the GM of the team?
Old 01-25-2008   #87
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
He was speaking in Yoda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Why is it people say this? It is not like Bob as you put it is making personel decisions. Shouldn't you be saying Rick as in the GM of the team?
I agree 100%

As for Trufant coming here, I'm not counting on it.
Sponsored links
Old 01-25-2008   #88
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 20123 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

A funny Ray Rhodes story from McClain's blog:
Quote:
I've got a Rhodes story for you. At the NFL meetings in March of 1995, I went to the NFC coaches breakfast and sat at Rhodes' table. He'd been the Eagles' head coach for a couple of months, and he was surrounded by reporters who covered the team.

I introduced myself and said, "Ray, how does it feel to be a Black Cat and a head coach in the NFL?"

Rhodes frowned and gave me a look that would kill.

"Well, I guess it feels just like a white cat feels when he's a head coach in the NFL," he said, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

I was stunned at Rhodes' reply. So were the reporters. I realized that he didn't understand. Neither did the reporters, of course. I looked back at Rhodes, smiled and said, "Ray, I'm from Waco. You're from Mexia. The Mexia Black Cats!"

Then he got it. He broke into a wide grin and said, "Oh, yeah, the Black Cats. Now I know what you mean. I've never had anyone put it to me exactly like that."
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #89
austintexanite
All Pro

What a great hire by Kubes and Smith, hopefully this help in keeping Demps and maybe getting some other quality FA's. With Gibbs and Rhodes on our staff, I'm freaking ecstatic over the hires.
Old 01-25-2008   #90
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker View Post
If a season like the one he had this past season is Trufant on the downslide then I think we can get a few years out of him as our top CB....
Agreed, but the law of diminishing return must be kept in mind. He could get better or stay the same for 10 years just doubtfull.
Old 01-25-2008   #91
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
"Old" at 27............

hahahahahahahaha

Born December 25, 1980, Trufant will be 27 and 9 months when the 2008 season begins. Not arguing, just keeping in perspective. Most free agents want 4+ year contracts, he would be staring at 32 in his last year which is not unheard of for a starting CB; but it needs to be looked at. Nothing says he has to make the team after a year or two if he starts to slip either.
Old 01-25-2008   #92
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Rhodes to Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
I agree, in my mind this is at least in some way the acceptance of Smith. Who knows, it might be that Kubiak is actually satisfied with Smith and knows that the 'lack' of success on defense is due more to the position coaches than the actual plays called. Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this whole thing pans out
I don't know what you guys are looking at this is a threat to his Job you are talking about a guy who was a head coach twice and was the defense coordinator on championship teams!!!! I think this is a great hire if we can get him to sign on the dotted line and this will not come cheap.
Old 01-25-2008   #93
PHAROAH
All Pro

Rep Power: 96 PHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respectedPHAROAH is a quality contributor and well respected

It will be interesting to see if that makes Marcus Trufant look at the Texans as a new home since they are both in Seattle.
Old 01-25-2008   #94
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 107589 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
At first glance, I thought you said "excrement"... I was saying WFT?!?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
He was speaking in Yoda.
Keyboard dyslexia...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008   #95
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15340 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
I was just making reference to our owner making reference to,"We need ____ to beat the Colts."

I figured if Bob reads the message board and he notices someone claim that Trufant would give us a better chance at beating the Colts he would hand Rick Smith a blank check and tell him to get Trufant on the first plane to Houston after free agency starts
Old 01-26-2008   #96
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ray Rhodes to Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAROAH View Post
I don't know what you guys are looking at this is a threat to his Job you are talking about a guy who was a head coach twice and was the defense coordinator on championship teams!!!! I think this is a great hire if we can get him to sign on the dotted line and this will not come cheap.
Uhm... think you missed my point. GO read the post again, and the post by TC that I replied to
Old 01-27-2008   #97
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13 View Post
Dunta said he will be able to play at some time next season. We'll see.
We won't have Dunta back untill the end of PUP at the earliest (and I'm not holding my breath for that) I think it will take the maximum time for him to get back in the lineup. Either way he should still ease his way back into the game.
Brandon420tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008   #98
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 78323 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon420tx View Post
We won't have Dunta back untill the end of PUP at the earliest (and I'm not holding my breath for that) I think it will take the maximum time for him to get back in the lineup. Either way he should still ease his way back into the game.
I am not optimistic about Dunta being back in 2008. I think he is going to try his hardest, but CB is the sort of position where just a small leg or foot problem can take you out of your game, and he is coming back from something crazy bad.

I think you have to assume he is not coming back in 2008, and that if he comes back in 2009, he might not be the same player. That if he comes back whole, it is a miracle dessert.

I find it interesting that the Rhodes hiring hasn't been announced by the Texans officially yet. I wonder if he is going to get a title different than what McClain announced. Or if there are other things happening with the other coaches.

For example, just based on bios, Rhodes is much more accomplished than Hoke. It would be really weird for Rhodes to just be an assistant to Hoke. I'm wondering whether he gets one of those special projects titles or some such.
Old 01-27-2008   #99
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I am not optimistic about Dunta being back in 2008. I think he is going to try his hardest, but CB is the sort of position where just a small leg or foot problem can take you out of your game, and he is coming back from something crazy bad.

I think you have to assume he is not coming back in 2008, and that if he comes back in 2009, he might not be the same player. That if he comes back whole, it is a miracle dessert.

I find it interesting that the Rhodes hiring hasn't been announced by the Texans officially yet. I wonder if he is going to get a title different than what McClain announced. Or if there are other things happening with the other coaches.

For example, just based on bios, Rhodes is much more accomplished than Hoke. It would be really weird for Rhodes to just be an assistant to Hoke. I'm wondering whether he gets one of those special projects titles or some such.
I tend to agree on all counts.

I'm just not sure that we can count on Dunta to be back and I would honestly be surprised if he can go back to being a top-shelf cornerback.

As far as next year goes, well, I find it hard to believe that (even with world class medical treatment) he'll be able to be back by the end of the PUP period and, if he does, what will he be? Maybe 65%? 80%? And if he doesn't make it back, well, at that point we've got a dude with great heart but who hasn't played football in something like 18-20 months when he comes back in 2009.

I hope I'm wrong on that. I really, really do.

As far as Rhodes goes... well, I keep waiting to see that official announcement. It's not that I don't think that its going to happen, I just have a hard time seeing how that coaching dynamic is going to work with Rhodes serving as an assistant DB coach. It's not any of our defensive staff has this huge distinguished pedigree that you could see Ray-Ray serving under. So, in short, I'm thinking that there is something amiss with the other members of the defensive coaching staff.
Old 01-27-2008   #100
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 288222 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I find it interesting that the Rhodes hiring hasn't been announced by the Texans officially yet. I wonder if he is going to get a title different than what McClain announced. Or if there are other things happening with the other coaches..
Good point. I mean if this is a done deal, why hasn't it been posted on HT.com? And does this mean Bayless is history?

If Alex Gibbs is "Assistant Head Coach/Offense" will Rhodes be "Assistant Head Coach/Defense"?

And does that trump Defensive Coordinator??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read