Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 01-24-2008   #41
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon
Default Re: Ray Rhodes to Texans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Boulware has some things he can bring to the table. With a full offseason of OTAs and training camps, he should be able to show whether he's going to be a contributor this year on anything but ST. He's not the strongest in pass coverage, but that doesn't mean a good staff can't scheme to his strengths. I am cautiously optimistic about Boulware, but mostly because there's no risk. If he doesn't make the cut, big deal. We didn't give up too much for him, and we have plenty of strong safeties.
well, its arguable that we gave up too much for him considering teh guy we gave up to get Boulware cost us about half our draft in year 3. Thanks asserley.

people can label Kiper a moron but Asserley IS a moron.
Old 01-24-2008   #42
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 217185 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
well, its arguable that we gave up too much for him considering teh guy we gave up to get Boulware cost us about half our draft in year 3. Thanks asserley.

That's like poker, man. Once the money's in the pot, it's no longer yours. Casserly screwed the pooch on that deal, but it's long gone.
Old 01-24-2008   #43
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
That's like poker, man. Once the money's in the pot, it's no longer yours. Casserly screwed the pooch on that deal, but it's long gone.

i hear ya and I am not sayin that boulware sucks because i don't think he does. i just think we gave up a guy we gave up a lot to get in order to get someone who was only a ST contributor.

but like you said, its water under the bridge but I will never forgive that crater faced moron, Casserley, ever.
Old 01-24-2008   #44
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy View Post
To me its analogous to a situation in the corporate environment where a
former CEO would be hired to fulfill a lower managerial positon.
We've already got an old-head in Gibbs, but he's the assistant HC as I understand it ? If they were looking at Rhoads to be the DC, I like it. But,
well like I said not a position in lower level management.
In other words, we've got an overqualification issue IMO and all the things that might go with that.
I think you are putting too much into the name of the positions. If you simplify the situation and reassess it I think you will be much happier with it.

I think that Kubiak has realized that his coaching staff is young and inexperienced (much like his players on the field.) So, in turn, I think he is attempting to bring in two highly successful, veteran coaches to mentor his young coaches. Given the fact that all signs point to us improving yet again next year I think it is essential that we bring in some older guys who know how to handle winning and keep the young guys (coaches and plalyers) focused.

Also, I wonder if these (potential) hire(s) foreshadow our actions in free agency. If my premise that Rhodes and Gibbs are an attempt to bring in veteran leadership with winning pasts holds water, I think it stands to reason that we bring in some free agent players that share the same characteristics.
nero THE zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #45
Specnatz
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 3240 Specnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respectedSpecnatz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

First, earlier in the thread I was just jacking with you because of us going round and round about spending money and getting coaches. Like I said, if he feels we need a change he will do it.

Yes we paid to much for Babin, but not for Boulware. It is like buying something at a garage sale and then not liking it and selling it at you garage sale. you might not get what you paid for it but at least you got something for it versus not getting anything for it.
Old 01-24-2008   #46
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
First, earlier in the thread I was just jacking with you because of us going round and round about spending money and getting coaches. Like I said, if he feels we need a change he will do it.

Yes we paid to much for Babin, but not for Boulware. It is like buying something at a garage sale and then not liking it and selling it at you garage sale. you might not get what you paid for it but at least you got something for it versus not getting anything for it.
We got someone elses hand me downs (boulware) for one of ours (babin). in theory, a wash but it just stings a bit knowing what we paid for Babin. I am sure it stings a bit for you as well.

as for the coaching moves, Rick Smith has obviously been able to convince McNair that we needed more $$ to improve our coaching talent, which has been pretty subpar since Kubes arrival. it wasn't all Kubes fault it was just part and parcel of him being hired so late due to the Broncos playing in the AFC Championship Game. One thing is for sure, Smith is already showing me that he isn't worried about hurting people's feelings and wants to get the best guys for the jobs. $$ be damned.

Lets just hope that RS can get this deal done. *fingers crossed*
Old 01-24-2008   #47
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Lets just hope that RS can get this deal done. *fingers crossed*
Smith wouldn't leak the story to the Chronic if Rhodes wasn't a done deal.
Old 01-24-2008   #48
J-Russ
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 40 J-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respectedJ-Russ is a quality contributor and well respected

Rhodes is interviewing for us, so its OUR decision whether to hired him or not, correct?
J-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #49
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Smith wouldn't leak the story to the Chronic if Rhodes wasn't a done deal.
If it is indeed a done deal, that is two quality assistants brought in within a month of the season ending. this pretty much shushes any thought of a new Def Coord. though. I wouldn't think they would hire a new assistant on defense only to hire a new DC a few weeks later.
Old 01-24-2008   #50
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i hear ya and I am not sayin that boulware sucks because i don't think he does. i just think we gave up a guy we gave up a lot to get in order to get someone who was only a ST contributor.

but like you said, its water under the bridge but I will never forgive that crater faced moron, Casserley, ever.
I'm just curious, but what did the other team get for those 3 picks anyway?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #51
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
It was the Titans and I think they got... Ben Troupe, Bo Schobel, and Jacob Bell? Or was it Randy Starks?

Pro Bowlers NOT taken in that draft until the 4th round:
Nathan Vasher
Jared Allen
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #52
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ben Troupe, 2nd round - 5 catches, zero TDs last year
Randy Starks, 3rd round - 16 tackles, zero sacks last year
Bo Schobel, 4th round - With Arizona, one tackle last year
Old 01-24-2008   #53
drewmar74
disgruntled

Rep Power: 1184 drewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrewmar74 is a quality contributor and well respected

So we still don't have an official announcement on Ray one way or another, eh?
Old 01-24-2008   #54
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

A point that has been minimized in all these discussions is that with Gibbs and Rhodes in major "consulting" positions, players free agents and draftees alike (as well as Texans' own) will see the Texans as an attractive place to call their "permanent" home.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #55
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81730 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Ben Troupe, 2nd round - 5 catches, zero TDs last year
Randy Starks, 3rd round - 16 tackles, zero sacks last year
Bo Schobel, 4th round - With Arizona, one tackle last year
Thanks, guys!

So we could have had three busts?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #56
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks, guys!

I'd be intersted to know how much cash we blew on our single bust versus the combined salaries of the three we could have had... Hey, maybe we saved some money..!
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #57
Lucky

Quote:

That's not necessarily the players the Texans would have selected. Casserly has stated that had the Texans kept the picks, the highest rated players on their draft board in the 2nd and 3rd round were guards. Some have speculated those guards may have been Justin Smiley (49ers) and Sean Locklear (Seattle).
Old 01-24-2008   #58
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 219370 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Thanks, guys!

We could have had Nathan Vasher or Jared Allen among other guys.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #59
Blu
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
Huh?

Just guessing, but if Rhodes comes to the Texans, I am guessing his title isn't going to be just "assistant coach defensive backs."
I'll take it even one step further, what if he's here to get the D on track, evaluate players and "prep" Frank Bush so he can become Def Cor.

Plus Rhodes could get Travis Johnson to chill under presure and not make boneheaded plays.
I bet Ray has some stories he could share with the team about the Minister of Sacks

Last edited by Blu; 01-24-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #60
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the possibility exists that we might in fact be looking at our future defensive coordinator.

Think of it this way. Last year (and the year before) when so many people were complaining about the way the defense was playing what could the team possibly do about it? Were they going to fire Richard Smith? Could they demote him? Who was going to take over the defense? Frank Bush? He just got here and while full of promise he doesn't exactly have the background to be thought of as a big step up from Richard Smith, at least yet. Jon Hoke?

You can't go firing coordinators if you don't have anybody to put in their place. There just wasn't anybody on the staff to turn to. Now there is. Next year if the Texans are in the bottom of the league in defense for very long look to see Ray Rhodes take over the reigns. That's assuming he's healthy enough to do it and interested in getting back into the stress of the job.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read